Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TrixRabbi posted:

As someone who legit loves Titanic and thinks that sequence is emotionally devastating, nothing breaks the spell like that dude just plopping off the propeller.

Yeah I'm just baffled as to why they even put that in there. It adds nothing to the scene and it's so loving goofy. You don't need to try and ramp up the melodrama by seeing some random guy flopping down the side of the boat like a rag doll. There's already plenty of sad and scary without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah, Cameron really crafts this brilliant extended sequence full of humanity and horror, I mean the shot of the mother trying to just comfort her children to sleep absolutely wrecks me. And then the devastation when the ship really starts going down and the absolute horror of the whole scenario...

And then - Kerplunk!

Makes a good GIF though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My inappropriate laughter story is that I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes in the cinema high and did the biggest laugh when Caesar first speaks and my friends were extremely angry

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

My inappropriate laughter story is that I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes in the cinema high and did the biggest laugh when Caesar first speaks and my friends were extremely angry

That part was hilarious tho. The shocked reaction shot of the gorilla is amazing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I've probably told this story before but I went to a midnight screen of The Thing a while back and I'm pretty sure the girl sitting directly behind us was on hallucinogens. So that was interesting.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I've probably told this story before but I went to a midnight screen of The Thing a while back and I'm pretty sure the girl sitting directly behind us was on hallucinogens. So that was interesting.
My friends and I did this the last time The Thing came through town. It's the blank whiteness of the snow that really makes your brain work double overtime filling in all that space.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Egbert Souse posted:

Not to mention it's secretly an anti-war film in contrast with Marvel's recruitment films.

It's kinda funny that Captain marvel had this big crossover with the Air Force and recruitment ads and stuff. But then you watch the movie and it depicts the Air Force as a misogynist organization that covers up accidents and is solely an obstacle to the heroes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

It's kinda funny that Captain marvel had this big crossover with the Air Force and recruitment ads and stuff. But then you watch the movie and it depicts the Air Force as a misogynist organization that covers up accidents and is solely an obstacle to the heroes.

Also the plot of the film is that a decorated veteran of an empire's war machine discovers that the evil terrorists they've been fighting are actually innocent refugees who've been displaced by the empire's aggression.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

The MO of both this and Black Panther - arguably of the entire MCU - is to say these organizations used to be bad but they’re much better now & any alternative would result in the apocalypse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The MO of both this and Black Panther - arguably of the entire MCU - is to say these organizations used to be bad but they’re much better now & any alternative would result in the apocalypse.

No, the Air Force is never redeemed in Captain Marvel. It is solely an antagonistic organization. Up until she discovers that they covered up her apparent death in a test flight, at which point they have served their role in the story and never show up again

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

No, the Air Force is never redeemed in Captain Marvel. It is solely an antagonistic organization. Up until she discovers that they covered up her apparent death in a test flight, at which point they have served their role in the story and never show up again

In the 1990s.

In order for a cross-promotional film like Captain Marvel to get made, its content needs to be cleared by Air Force officials.

They deemed the depiction of a sexist past Air Force okay, because the overall message of the film is that it’s great the Air Force is no longer sexist. Now a new generation of badass female pilots can defend America.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/mrRuimy/status/1213939923184766976

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How does anyone watch Marvel and not key in on the Chair Force's need for belief of a higher power?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In the 1990s.

In order for a cross-promotional film like Captain Marvel to get made, its content needs to be cleared by Air Force officials.

They deemed the depiction of a sexist past Air Force okay, because the overall message of the film is that it’s great the Air Force is no longer sexist. Now a new generation of badass female pilots can defend America.

No it's not. There is no next generation of young women Air Force pilots. The little girl is never even implied to be thinking about joining the Air Force. There are two women who had experiences with the Air Force, they both faced misogyny, one retired bitter and the other disappeared and had her disappearance covered up. There is nothing in the movie itself to imply that the Air Force has changed or will change in the future.

You can absolutely criticize the cross promotion that they did, but the text of the movie solely presents the Air Force as a misogynistic antagonistic force.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/Jacob_deNobel/status/1070704186403287040?s=20

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I forgot Red was a movie that existed, so congratulations to them?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Friends Are Evil posted:

I forgot Red was a movie that existed, so congratulations to them?

Good news!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfB8QwYBPxY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

In the 1990s.

I agree that this is likely how the USAF took it and how it was pitched, but that doesn't mean it's what the movie actually says. It notably never takes that extra step of "everything is OK now."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The implicit message of Captain Marvel is be like Carol and show the USAF what you're made of and how much of a badass you actually are because look at Carol, the badass air force pilot doing badass things.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I laughed when frodo got stabbed by the spider in RotK.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean, Carol literally changes her suits color scheme to match one of her old USAF shirts for the climax and part of her big triumphant montage is doggedly standing tall in boot camp, the movie absolutely implies that the negatives shown are an outlier for the USAF

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I haven't seen the movie, but I'm gonna make a wild stab in the dark here:

The Air Force simply doesn't read chauvinism in its ranks as an inherently bad thing, or contradictory to their mission to use mainstream Hollywood films as propaganda.

The essence of successful propaganda is not that it tells you what to think ("The Air Force is good"), but to prepare you for a new way of thinking ("The Air Force is full of bad people but, also, really good people consistently find themselves magnetically drawn to the Air Force.")

edit:

Like, if SMG's reading is overtly flawed in any way, it's because the obvious comparison to CM isn't Black Panther, it's BlacKkKlansman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Escobarbarian posted:

The fact that he bugs out on Draco Malfoy is inherently funny.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I finally got around to watching the Battle Angel Alita movie. It was really good! I am disappointed that they brought up Alita's past so often. That kinda undercuts the whole theme. In the original manga she got one flashback, basically along the lines of the Moon fight one, and it came almost at the end. Where it didn't matter. Because the whole point is that Alita is on a journey to discover who she is. And she discovers who she is by creating herself through experiences and relationships with other people. So who she was doesn't matter.

But I know the movie is it's own thing and I still really liked it. I wonder what they'd do for a sequel. Especially since they specifically ruled out the terrible secret of Zalem.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Haha Dracula episode 3 is the whackest plot twist oh my God

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My theater lost it at the death of Kevin Costner in Man of Steel. And speaking of military recruitment:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1213998380025892864

Bong still the best

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Bong rules

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Or course, when it comes to recruitment, nothing, NOTHING, can top this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kha63bVVlUM

It's just a shame neither movie lives up to it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Davros1 posted:

Act of Valor tops everything because the entire movie is the recruitment ad.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
My brother and I were pretty high when we saw Hobbs & Shaw in theaters and were completely loosing it - wheezing to hold back the bursts of laughter - during all of the weirdly long crane shots.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
I think an older gentlemen asked if we were okay

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m just going to say you should all follow @MayorDaveMC1 on twitter, she says “it’s been real.”

Rooney McNibnug posted:

My brother and I were pretty high when we saw Hobbs & Shaw in theaters and were completely loosing it - wheezing to hold back the bursts of laughter - during all of the weirdly long crane shots.

What long shots, that movie was quick-cut central lol

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just saw this on tv and thought I was watching a bad SNL skit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9qv8RSreIM

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Samoa part is approximately 90% dramatic sweeping shots of pretty landscapes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gripweed posted:

No it's not. There is no next generation of young women Air Force pilots. The little girl is never even implied to be thinking about joining the Air Force. There are two women who had experiences with the Air Force, they both faced misogyny, one retired bitter and the other disappeared and had her disappearance covered up. There is nothing in the movie itself to imply that the Air Force has changed or will change in the future.

You can absolutely criticize the cross promotion that they did, but the text of the movie solely presents the Air Force as a misogynistic antagonistic force.

Admittedly I haven't watched it since release, but it seemed like the Air Force itself wasn't even really much of an entity beyond a few "bad apples" from Carol's flashbacks. Other than that what you see of it is like, some records rooms they are breaking into to find out about Carol's history, and there the bad guys are the Skrulls and (maybe?) a few guards. A benevolent alien scientist is using the Air Force as a cover to create her spaceship, and she recruits Carol from within the Air Force because she trusts her. The "cover up" is because it was legitimately a bizarre alien attack where their pilot disappeared (or I guess even if they didn't know that, they know a highly experimental and classified machine blew up).

Carol is working directly with SHIELD during a time when we know them to have been infiltrated by HYDRA, so it's not like there weren't opportunities to lean heavily into the theme of shadowy government agencies oppressing people, they just didn't really do that. Most of the shadiness about Carol's past is there to disguise the twist about the Kree being the bad guys.

Davros1 posted:

My theater lost it at the death of Kevin Costner in Man of Steel. And speaking of military recruitment:

lol do you have an alert set up to track posts with "Captain Marvel" and "Air Force" in them so you can reply with this image?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Remember when you had to sit through this garbage if you went to a movie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHzSBEVbXtM

ruddiger posted:

Just saw this on tv and thought I was watching a bad SNL skit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9qv8RSreIM

"Own a piece of American history." Satire is obsolete.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 6, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Remember when you had to sit through this garbage if you went to a movie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHzSBEVbXtM

That was one hell of a dark time when the country made Kid Rock a thing.

That said, I'm old enough to remember this before movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOO3OvwfS4U

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Sam Mendes won Best Director lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

You know at least one person ordered the Trumpy Bear to use as a sex doll