Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how do people remember the station names in new york, it's all numbered streets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kurtofan posted:

that's how you loving remember it you insaniac.

Over there: rue saint-him intersects with place de la her several times along boulevard Louis CCXII, except for the bit near the palais des them, and then a 90-degree pivot for rue saint-who??

Here in logic land: take a right on 42nd. It is a grid. Streets and avenues. You won't get lost. Welcome to the city.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kurtofan posted:

In Manhattan the grid is very logical and easy. It's a coordinate system. If you have even a little familiarity with the city I can tell you it's at 114th and 7th and you know right where that is on the map.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

In Manhattan the grid is very logical and easy. It's a coordinate system. If you have even a little familiarity with the city I can tell you it's at 114th and 7th and you know right where that is on the map.

Still works in the Bronx but with slightly more effort. Look at the fuckin grid. We live in the space age.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Queens though

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
No one lives there so it counts just slightly more than Staten Island

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I live in South Philly and I love how we have a grid but it's made intentionally confusing to keep residential streets free from traffic. I think it's absolutely genius it has all the road design of a suburban area with arterials and subdivisions but packed in tight. And it fosters bike and pedestrian traffic because those travellers can just ignore the one ways.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
To chime in on the Roman slavery front, you guys are being too generous to the Romans. Yes, because slavery wasn't racialized in the Roman world the same way it became in the early modern West slaves could be more autonomous and manumission was more widespread, but independent slaves and freedmen are overly represented in the literary sources because they were a focus of anxiety for the Roman elite. The everyday experiences of the vast majority of Roman slaves was comparable to that of slaves in the 18th-19th c. Caribbean or the American South. There were many circumstances in which they were basically used as expendable labour (mining and industry); authors like Cato or Columella recommend feeding agricultural slaves -- who comprised the majority of all servile labour -- the minimum amount of food necessary and getting rid of them when they got sick or old; they were tortured and killed under suspicion of committing even minor offenses; and women and young boys could expect to be sexually assaulted regularly.

One of the main accomplishments of comparative historical research on slavery has been to do away with some of the myths of the slave experience in the ancient world.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I live in South Philly and I love how we have a grid but it's made intentionally confusing to keep residential streets free from traffic. I think it's absolutely genius it has all the road design of a suburban area with arterials and subdivisions but packed in tight. And it fosters bike and pedestrian traffic because those travellers can just ignore the one ways.

I remember reading about a bunch of insane drama with y'alls byzantine parking permit system

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Debate & Discussion › politically-loaded maps - roman apologists

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I've never been to Philly so I can't visualize what you're describing, but my gut reaction to 'the roads are more confusing to drive on' as a cyclist is that doesn't make me feel safer.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That was already posted, friend.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
in what reality can one classify west virginia as a midwestern state

or montana as 'northern'

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

luxury handset posted:

in what reality can one classify west virginia as a midwestern state

it has west in the nam

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I remember reading about a bunch of insane drama with y'alls byzantine parking permit system

Jippa posted:

Debate & Discussion › politically-loaded maps - roman apologists

I see how it is.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Count Roland posted:

That was already posted, friend.

My bad. i thought it was a Fun, Cool Map to share with my friends, but i guess now i’m the loving idiot again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Family Values posted:

I've never been to Philly so I can't visualize what you're describing, but my gut reaction to 'the roads are more confusing to drive on' as a cyclist is that doesn't make me feel safer.

Essentially, it's a thick grid-like series of narrow one-way streets. However, if you're driving, you can't just navigate around like a normal grid. Many of the residential streets change direction every block or every other block. Therefore no one is going to be driving down one of these blocks unless they're specifically going somewhere on that block. The majority of traffic has to travel on the arterials, which mostly keep the same direction for miles or have more than one lane.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Essentially, it's a thick grid-like series of narrow one-way streets. However, if you're driving, you can't just navigate around like a normal grid. Many of the residential streets change direction every block or every other block. Therefore no one is going to be driving down one of these blocks unless they're specifically going somewhere on that block. The majority of traffic has to travel on the arterials, which mostly keep the same direction for miles or have more than one lane.

That's cool.

Though looking on satellite and street views, it doesn't look like this method leaves a lot of room for trees.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Count Roland posted:

That's cool.

Though looking on satellite and street views, it doesn't look like this method leaves a lot of room for trees.

It's because of poverty:

https://whyy.org/articles/phillys-low-income-neighborhoods-have-fewer-trees-and-the-citys-free-tree-program-isnt-helping/

And also

quote:

“There are natural, historical reasons that some places have more trees than others,” he said. “The story of South Philly is that there were cultural reasons. Italian immigrants wanted to be able to look out onto their block and see what was happening on their block, and having trees prevented that.”

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

Stockholm is actually working on bringing back it's tram networks.

It's not very extensive yet but the city also has a fairly large subway system which evens it out.

Helsinki arguably took the right approach almost all of its infrastructure intact, then building off it and improving it. It really surprised me how fast some trams were as well and honestly the experience was certainly more preferrable than buses.

Luckily, Moscow saved at least some of its tram network and it is still seeing some serious upgrades, however tram lines are still disappearing in some smaller Russian cities like Tver due to budgetary issues.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hmm, makes sense. And I did notice lots of trees inside the block-- so you're back porch is in the shade during the summer.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

What region does the upper peninsula belong to? Who can say.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Low-hanging fruit, but hey.

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1214930540006117379

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, you know...on the bright side, 23% got it right.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

With things like this I always assume/hope that it's at least 50% people taking the piss, like those suspiciously many replies placing Iran in the Deep South

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm the dot pretty drat close to Iraan, TX

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Wichita: the Iran of the USA

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

System Metternich posted:

With things like this I always assume/hope that it's at least 50% people taking the piss, like those suspiciously many replies placing Iran in the Deep South

Of course it is. With surveys like this you can usually assume a large percentage of respondents threw a dart at a board while barely glancing at it, some other smallish but statistically significant percentage intentionally answered incorrectly to be trolls, and yet another fairly large contingent are actually ignorant. The last group is the responses vaguely in western Asia & southern Europe.

However that's not the Deep South, that's the Midwest, which is sort of ironic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

System Metternich posted:

A decent chunk of people probably just hit some point at random without even looking, another bunch are deliberately joking, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least 5% have no idea how to read a map or knowledge of geography outside of their immediate area and genuinely think Iran might be in Texas or Kentucky because they have no conception of where anything is located.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
interpreting graphics and maps is a learned ability (like, even knowing what a scatterplot does is not a universal ability in adults https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/09/16/the-art-and-science-of-the-scatterplot/) and geography is not a mandatory subject in US schools and also people like loving with those kind of polls but also marg bar, and i want to emphasize this point, āmrikā.

so there's a lot of potential interpretations, really

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
people so dumb, not know what map country is, like what me do

e: look! look! there place, on map! i know thing is, look map long time!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can go the bulk of your life without ever really needing to know how to read a political map of the countries of the world, much less know from memory each and every country and where it is.

In fact, that's why historically world maps were these weird blobby things that only vaguely matched up to actual landmass shapes until the growth of naval importance popularized maps that specifically got the shape of the seas and coasts right. It's often unproductive to fret over specific land borders, and for a long time people just kept in mind which cities belonged to who. Much like how it's easier to just know which is your house and which is your neighbor's house, and the property line only matters if you're building a fence.

I mean, if map reading was a useful skill, I'd be leading a much better life by now.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
The real trick is being able to draw a "major ethnic group" map rather than a political map anyway.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Real pro's make overlapping haplo-group maps.

And then post it in a Rust gaming discord.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As a kid, I loved maps. Mostly because it was a pretty picture with words to read on it, but I still liked them and learned a bunch of countries and flags at a young age, relative to other kids in my class (though that's not saying much in the US).

Mas are still cool though and should be more incoporated into world history education in the US.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I too spent many an hour as a kid poring over maps in my history books and my parents' globe. They've always just been interesting to me.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I work in telematics and spend a lot of my time staring at and editing map and GPS data. When I'm not at work I'm a Waze editor as a personal hobby.

I think it all started with Simcity on my parent's computer as a kid.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of posters in this thread got into geography/maps because Tolkien made it so no fantasy book since has lacked a bitchin' map at the front talking about "The Death Fields of Gargut" or "The Lost Dragon Empire of Kazantil". I know thats what got me started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
As a kid I liked to

- look at the maps in Nat Geos, along with the cool photos of what the places in the maps were actually like
- parents had some framed antique maps of south east asia that were neat to look at
- fantasy books aw yeah.

This is probably the best and chillest thread in D&D, because maps are great and we all agree on it. Just post maps, any maps at all.