Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yeah, Steam Achievement Manager exists. I doubt most people use it, but I bet a lot of people will bust it out for meme cheevos like that.

The cherry on top would be if there was an extra 5% discount for those who got the achievement legitimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The 7th Guest posted:

if you do origin access, they added sparklite, wreckfest and little misfortune

other games they've added recently if you have origin access and forgot they also include indie games:
bloodstained
superhot
for the king
tacoma
sinner: sacrifice for redemption
dead cells
nex machina
shantae 1/2 genie hero
slay the spire
yoku's island express
ghost of a tale
pyre
a plague tale: innocence
breathedge
darksiders 3
tyranny
the invisible hours
cosmic star heroine

it's basically the gamepass that no one notices or thinks about

Huh, Plague Tale has been expensive for a while, maybe I'll go back for that one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that specific game is on the premiere tier of the origin access sub for what its worth

you could i guess pick a month where you'd like to play the star wars sekiro game and play both games that month

i just hold on to the basic tier and wait for EA's games to move from premiere to basic because it's usually only a 6-12 month wait for each game

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
between things like competing sales, giveaways, and sub services it's been great to have a no more than $15 for anything rule.

aaa stuff releases buggy as hell and then drip feeds dlc until a complete edition 6-12 months later anyway, so the waiting game doesn't really matter much honestly

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well, that's a loving bugger. My 2TB external WD mypassport HDD just died out of nowhere. It was plugged into my machine and i just heard the familiar "bing bong" usb disconnected sound.

Now all of my windows machines are saying it's corrupted and unreadable.

I've got over 600 GB of steam games backed up on it as well as some fairly useful documents i'd like to keep a hold of. Does anyone have any recommended recovery processes or software i could try?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Weight of the World started playing on the car radio after the first serious story beat in FFXV and that's serendipity babyyy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!

Kin posted:

Well, that's a loving bugger. My 2TB external WD mypassport HDD just died out of nowhere. It was plugged into my machine and i just heard the familiar "bing bong" usb disconnected sound.

Now all of my windows machines are saying it's corrupted and unreadable.

I've got over 600 GB of steam games backed up on it as well as some fairly useful documents i'd like to keep a hold of. Does anyone have any recommended recovery processes or software i could try?

It's possible that it's the HDD controller that's bad; remove the drive and plug it into a computer, or put it in a different enclosure. This won't work on encrypted models. If that doesn't work you can try the freezer trick (google it) but your data is probably lost

Steam games are thankfully easy to recover from Steam. For important documents and other smaller stuff, see if you have backups anywhere. Everyone should be using cloud storage, basically anyone can easily get a bunch of free always online storage for that kind of stuff

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Also buy a second external hd and make a habit of backing up monthly. For personal/important files set up cloud sync.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

It's possible that it's the HDD controller that's bad; remove the drive and plug it into a computer, or put it in a different enclosure.

That was my thought too, but if it's the same model as in this video then the USB interface is integrated onto the drive itself so there's no separating them :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

QuarkJets posted:

It's possible that it's the HDD controller that's bad; remove the drive and plug it into a computer, or put it in a different enclosure. This won't work on encrypted models. If that doesn't work you can try the freezer trick (google it) but your data is probably lost
MyPassport drives are natively encrypted. On the plus side, the encryption is apparently so crap that if you can get it to a hardware lab that does data recovery from damages drives, you can get it out of there anyway, even without the passport or whatever hardware characteristic elements there are to the encryption itself.

Only problem is that this kind of thing is majorly expensive.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Yikes.

Consider it a lesson learned then, keep backups of important stuff, ideally in the cloud if it's small enough for that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've played two of anthony case's games and i have to ask - is this guy ESL, or are his games all full of hyperactive babytalk because he's just like that

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

repiv posted:

That was my thought too, but if it's the same model as in this video then the USB interface is integrated onto the drive itself so there's no separating them :(

Yup, it's that exact one.

I've actually got several external drives but they have different storage purposes rather than using them for rotating backups. This drive that failed was the general 'Semi-Permanent Storage' backup one though and wasn't in regular use. It was plugged in all the time, but i was only ever reading/writing to it when I wanted to back up an important set of documents or a new big game i just bought. I wasn't even doing anything with it when i heard the drive disconnected sound.

I accessed it a few days ago to copy some games onto it from Christmas, but before that i don't think i'd opened it for at least a few months.

Bit of a loving shite start to the new year. The games and media are replaceable, but some of the docs are reporting tools i've built for my line of work over the years.

Edit: cloud storage sounds great but my current connection is so bad, it really isn't suited for any kind of upload at all.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Oxxidation posted:

i've played two of anthony case's games and i have to ask - is this guy ESL, or are his games all full of hyperactive babytalk because he's just like that

I read this as casey anthony at first.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mike12345 posted:

Also buy a second external hd and make a habit of backing up monthly. For personal/important files set up cloud sync.

I have two 1TB NVMe externals and it rules, I have all my important stuff backed up and games I want to play downloaded on a drive that reads at 1.4GB/s over a thunderbolt cable. Highly recommended, it cost about 250 all told and is such a difference in how I play games.

Also, Sniper Elite 4 is a good game but I grabbed the DLC over the sale and god drat, they took the improved level design and really improved it more. The DLC guns are also cool, it even has a real-life always surpressed rifle included if you want to just cheese missions.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation

Kin posted:

Yup, it's that exact one.

I've actually got several external drives but they have different storage purposes rather than using them for rotating backups. This drive that failed was the general 'Semi-Permanent Storage' backup one though and wasn't in regular use. It was plugged in all the time, but i was only ever reading/writing to it when I wanted to back up an important set of documents or a new big game i just bought. I wasn't even doing anything with it when i heard the drive disconnected sound.

I accessed it a few days ago to copy some games onto it from Christmas, but before that i don't think i'd opened it for at least a few months.

Bit of a loving shite start to the new year. The games and media are replaceable, but some of the docs are reporting tools i've built for my line of work over the years.

Edit: cloud storage sounds great but my current connection is so bad, it really isn't suited for any kind of upload at all.

Remember that it's only a backup if it's a second (or more) copy on separate hardware. If losing 1 hard drive wipes out your only copy of that data then that data wasn't backed up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I got this even though I *did* use the idle program. My secret shame.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

HopperUK posted:

I think they gave those halos out again when the game went F2P.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

HopperUK posted:

I didn't get it despite never even having heard of any specific idle programs. I thought I didn't get it because I had been to idle servers before, only briefly though, to see what was going on in them. I was so sad when I didn't get it.

Pretty sure one of my then friends used to idle crazy amounts of time, prolly even using programs and she got that thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Limits and Demonstrations acts as the prologue to the game and should be played first, The Entertainment is meant to played after Episode 2, Here and There Along the Echo after Episode 3, and Un Pueblo De Nada after 4.

I remember they're planning to patch them all into the main game when the full release happens.

Thanks! I guess I'll keep an eye out on the release if it actually does come along.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I like Dishonored 2, but I'm not very good at it.

- gently caress Clockwork Soldiers
- C-Spam mom never has anything useful to say, I kind of want to put her out of her misery in advance
- For about two whole missions I got sleep darts confused with stinging bolts and was getting angry that they weren't working

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Phlegmish posted:

- C-Spam mom never has anything useful to say, I kind of want to put her out of her misery in advance
- For about two whole missions I got sleep darts confused with stinging bolts and was getting angry that they weren't working

-phtm-
"loving OW!"
"shh, go to sleep"
-phtm- -phtm-
"JESUS CHRIST IT HURTS"

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I just started this the other day and I made the dumb decision to do a No Alerts/No Kills/No Powers playthrough first. I guess that'll make my kill everything and find all the collectables playthrough all the more satisfying.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So playing a game off a USB drive is perfectly fine, right?

I wanna play Final Fantasy XV but no room for 100 GB on my SSD so was gonna install to a flash drive. But Google says something about chance of corruption stuff being slower.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

A friend and I have started playing cooperative puzzle games and we had a pretty great time with We Were Here Together and I'm wondering if there are more games like it, besides the other games by the same dev. We tried out Tick Tock: A Tale for Two today and didn't like it. We Were Here Together usually manages to split responsibilities and information fairly evenly between the two players. Meanwhile, Tick Tock felt like it was handing a player an answer sheet and getting that player to relay that information to the one with the actual puzzle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bentacos posted:

I just started this the other day and I made the dumb decision to do a No Alerts/No Kills/No Powers playthrough first. I guess that'll make my kill everything and find all the collectables playthrough all the more satisfying.

Never do a gimmick run on your first dishonored play through. That’s stupid and insane. You’ll hate the game. If you get spotted, use the many tools it gives you to get away. Why would you decide to ignore most gameplay mechanics your first time playing? :psyduck:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Never do a gimmick run on your first dishonored play through. That’s stupid and insane. You’ll hate the game. If you get spotted, use the many tools it gives you to get away. Why would you decide to ignore most gameplay mechanics your first time playing? :psyduck:

I did mention that it was a dumb decision.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bentacos posted:

I did mention that it was a dumb decision.

But you didn’t you changed your mind and decided to not play the game in a way intended for people who had beaten it like twice already.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

But you didn’t you changed your mind and decided to not play the game in a way intended for people who had beaten it like twice already.

Where did I say I changed my mind? Are you referring to me saying I was going to do a kill everyone playthrough? Because that hasn't happened yet. I'm still working on the first playthrough.

Sorry I'm not playing the way you think I should, but I did just do three different playthroughs of the first game and decided this was what I wanted to do first.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bentacos posted:

Where did I say I changed my mind? Are you referring to me saying I was going to do a kill everyone playthrough? Because that hasn't happened yet. I'm still working on the first playthrough.

Sorry I'm not playing the way you think I should, but I did just do three different playthroughs of the first game and decided this was what I wanted to do first.

Autocorrect are a word, that was supposed to be “didn’t say you changed your mind”.

Dishonored 2 added a bunch of tools for nonlethal stealth, has two different sets of powers, it’s just so weird to ignore all that on your first run through. Like, did you ghost your first play through of dishonored?

E:autocorrect hosed up a word in me bitching about autocorrect. It ATE a word, not are a word. Jesus Christ phone.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 6, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I mean, you do you, but it’s baffling to me to avoid most of the options in a game on your first time playing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it also are a word. :v:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

NikkolasKing posted:

So playing a game off a USB drive is perfectly fine, right?

I wanna play Final Fantasy XV but no room for 100 GB on my SSD so was gonna install to a flash drive. But Google says something about chance of corruption stuff being slower.

Definitely slower loading, and there will probably be pop-in.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Autocorrect are a word, that was supposed to be “didn’t say you changed your mind”.

Dishonored 2 added a bunch of tools for nonlethal stealth, has two different sets of powers, it’s just so weird to ignore all that on your first run through. Like, did you ghost your first play through of dishonored?

E:autocorrect hosed up a word in me bitching about autocorrect. It ATE a word, not are a word. Jesus Christ phone.

Not on the subject but I turned autocorrect off completely and frankly I'm happier with the odd typo than I ever was having to learn to parse Autocorrect-ese

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the worst is when autocomplete tries for history-based predictions and winds up just lesbian clowns words at random

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ErrEff posted:

I played the original Kingdom, lasted about an hour before I gave up on it. I didn't care for how little control you have over things. Your AI minions are stupid and will eventually be your downfall because they can't follow orders or make correct decisions.

New Lands appears to be that same game with some additional visual flourish and maybe more features, I dunno. There's also Kingdom: Two Crowns which came out in 2018 - which also appears to be, again, largely the same game.
Those games needed too much planning and needed a layoff option, but there is an Early Access clone that has someone listening to those problems. The Wild Age looks like a ripoff 2.5D version of Kingdom and you have more control over your people. You can get people off the old border and use them elsewhere.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/732160/The_Wild_Age/

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

Definitely slower loading, and there will probably be pop-in.

What is "pop-in"?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

NikkolasKing posted:

What is "pop-in"?

It's most recognizable when turning or approaching an object and the object sort of phases from a low-poly version to a high-poly version. Think of a typical in-game tree turning from a less intensive 2D model to a 3D model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011