Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Astroman posted:

"We won't go back, the Eggs Benedict are everywhere!"

Some serious Evil Insurrection Admiral vibes here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Some serious Evil Insurrection Admiral vibes here

Poor Anthony Zerbe got killed in two movies in horrific fashion: Insurrection and License to Kill.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gonz posted:

Poor Anthony Zerbe got killed in two movies in horrific fashion: Insurrection and License to Kill.
He was also something like five different sleazy villains who got punked by the IMF in the Mission: Impossible TV series. Poor guy was never going to be cast as the romantic lead.

(Actually, Shatner got cast as an M:I villain twice, yet Nimoy was a heroic lead for two years. Hmm...)

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 5, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kesper North posted:

It sounds so much more like overtake, but yes, you're correct. TIL. I blame the bad videotape I grew up watching.

I don't know what it is about the audio mix but some of the dialogue in 2 and 3 gave me trouble as a kid as well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kesper North posted:

Perhaps Data has been altering his appearance to make his aging human friends feel less self conscious about it :3

Data is space dust now, remember. In Picard, he's wearing the TNG movie-era uniform. This is clearly Picard having a dream.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't know what it is about the audio mix but some of the dialogue in 2 and 3 gave me trouble as a kid as well.

Budget for microphones and shooting schedules, essentially, because the television division was producing Hollywood movies on a shoestring budget. A lot of the dialogue in both movies is very heavily ADR'd.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That new Data definitely looks a hell of a lot better. Old one was just weird, in a way that didn't look intentional. Just poorly matched face to head.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Timby posted:

Data is space dust now, remember. In Picard, he's wearing the TNG movie-era uniform. This is clearly Picard having a dream.

I so totally don't buy him staying dead, tbh, that's part of why I phrased it that way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We don’t know what happened with B-4 yet

There was a trailer with a Soong-type Android in a drawer so I assume that was B-4 but there’s no confirmation. I am pretty sure Data is not back unless something is planned for S2

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
The implication of Data coming back to life post-Nemesis was about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the head. If they were going to leave that plot thread dangling, why would they have shown Data in the trailers?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
B-4 is a goddamn dumb as gently caress name.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It was originally supposed to be B-9 in an earlier draft script.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I'm the guy who names his first creation B-4, already knowing it'll be an absolute failure and that I'll have to build another.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Doggles posted:

I'm the guy who names his first creation B-4, already knowing it'll be an absolute failure and that I'll have to build another.

... george hw bush???

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
wait george w was older than jeb wasn't he. frick!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Maybe Soon had an iterative process and just had numbers for the unfinished products. Alpha 1-6 then Beta 1-4. B4 was just good enough to keep around instead of disassembling, and after that he figured his creations were a release product and gave cool marketing names like "Lore" and "Data."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gonz posted:

Hope Nu Data also has a catte.

At the target hour, he will leap into the fray riding a tiger.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Maybe Soon had an iterative process and just had numbers for the unfinished products. Alpha 1-6 then Beta 1-4. B4 was just good enough to keep around instead of disassembling, and after that he figured his creations were a release product and gave cool marketing names like "Lore" and "Data."

I hope it's like My Life As A Teenage Robot where XJ-9 has XJ 1 through 8 deactivated in the basement, to be brought out in only the direst of emergencies or when she's bored. And then they all combine into a giant wall.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

3/14 never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVlKqh6IRdo

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ohhhhh, Before, now I get it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

The implication of Data coming back to life post-Nemesis was about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the head. If they were going to leave that plot thread dangling, why would they have shown Data in the trailers?

I guess, but in his appearances in both trailers he is wearing two different bygone uniforms (TNG and movie era) so I've still gotta go dream sequence on this one.

Or something like Picard is interfacing with his disembodied consciousness or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's something strange
In the old vineyard
Guess who it is?
Ghost Data!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Doggles posted:

Nice to meet you, Often Wrong.

:smug:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Disney did CGI Cushing partly because they were applauded for doing the same thing with Jeff Bridges in TRON Legacy.

I'm fine with Data being allowed to have Old Man Wear, personally. Part of playing an android in a sci-fi show IMO isn't about looking like an artificial person but instead being an actual person that for some reason just doesn't look quite right. Lance Henriksen in Aliens would be my favorite example, but is very unlikely in Trek due to THE VISION(tm) of a world where people are always standing spine-straightened and erect. I tend to think that's a Berman thing more than a Gene thing, because the TOS crew seemed to slouch in their chairs more often than anyone until DS9.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Having a living template to put the de-aged CGI on top of helps. The Jeff Bridges Clu CGI wasn’t half bad for a movie 11 years ago, and Michael Douglas in Ant Man was the best the technology has ever looked. The CGI ghost of Peter Cushing was horrendous. Shoulda just had the Tron or Marvel people do it for them.

Eventually the technology will get there, but it’s not quite there yet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Old Man Data, if real and not a vision, can be handwaved away by Data dropping some line like he did in the TNG finale about adding grey to his hair to give the illusion of aging, despite the fact he can’t die for thousands of years.

“I reshaped my body to look like i’ve been skipping the gym, Admiral.”

Riker’ll probably poke fun at him, too.

“Data, you’re old!”

“Sir, you are old and fat, too! And your beard is weird!”

“gently caress! I know! PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS”

Gonz fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 5, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It actually does fit given Bashir's pointed out how much effort goes into Data's construction to make him seem human and to put other humans at ease. IIRC it's implied Dr Soong developed his prototypes based on feedback from people over how much they fell into the Uncanny Valley and deliberately made Data and Lore look slightly alien so humans would be more accepting. Makes a lot of sense since in a society where most humans regularly interact with aliens that look almost-human, people have more leeway for something that looks human except is a weird colour or has a weird head.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cross-Section posted:

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1213463607528378373
He's basically been reverted to Nemesis-era Data, which is fine by me.

Looks kind of like Palpatine to me.

Good... Good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually wouldn't be surprised if Data says he's modified his appearance to reflect his self-image as well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Astroman posted:

"We won't go back, the Eggs Benedict are everywhere!"

Nice to see Tom Riker found some peace and quiet in his golden years.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ruddiger posted:

Nice to see Tom Riker found some peace and quiet in his golden years.

That would be a hilarious thing to do, have both Will and Thomas show up in the show. Like, have Thomas married to a Cardassian or Bajorian who looks uncomfortably close to Troi.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

8one6 posted:

That would be a hilarious thing to do, have both Will and Thomas show up in the show. Like, have Thomas married to a Cardassian or Bajorian who looks uncomfortably close to Troi.

And every scene with him ends with him ominously peeling off his sideburns.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

HD DAD posted:

That is one of the best reveals in TV history.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Odo: Tirellian false sideburns are illegal in 17 sectors, Quark!
Quark: Not this one!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Since they were (at least initially) using the anti-ageing effects, I doubt there are more than a couple of scenes with Data.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

HD DAD posted:

The best part of it is that Thomas Riker had the same beard as Will in his previous appearance. If he just showed up with no sideburns, it's not like anyone he met or anyone in the audience would have been "IT'S THE OTHER RIKER!" It's only a reveal because they show him very obviously taking the fake sideburns off, so he was clearly disguised. In a worse world the writer would have picked a much more sensible reveal, like him throwing off his comm badge and then dispatching a message saying "This is Tom. I'm on my way" before cutting to the opening.

The Tom Riker entry on Memory Alpha is the most Memory Alpha thing ever. It stubbornly includes all of Will Riker's history in the Tom Riker entry, so to get to anything a reasonable person would want to read, you have to scroll past half the article. Basically, the article is only useful to a person that already knows who Tom Riker is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/9ZuDAmW.mp4

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HD DAD posted:

He should LEAVE the sideburns and peel the rest off.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Mister Kingdom posted:

He should LEAVE the sideburns and peel the rest off.

Mission Impossible style rubber mask comes off to reveal beardless Riker under bearded Riker.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One Riker shaves his legs and the other doesn't.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
no, both rikers shave, but only one leg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Does that mean Tommy Ryker is not circumcised?