Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nemo2342 posted:

If nothing else, be sure to try and catch the Awful Block (starts with Super Hydlide Wednesday night). The bad/weird block is always an amazing treat, even if you aren't directly familiar with any of the games.

There's something magical about a terrible game when everyone knows it's a terrible game. It's the MST3K of speedrunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

That Myst run was really cool, actually. I was not expecting a magic teleporting clipfest out of Myst, but it was a nice, short, elegant run!

Plus the any% with the crowd count was magical.

e: also yeah, definitely pick up the Awful Block, that's the best part of the marathon.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

That Myst run was really cool, actually. I was not expecting a magic teleporting clipfest out of Myst, but it was a nice, short, elegant run!

Plus the any% with the crowd count was magical.

e: also yeah, definitely pick up the Awful Block, that's the best part of the marathon.

i agree! I really enjoyed that run, partly because I had no idea what you could possibly do with a run of Myst. But that was concise and interesting, worth the watch

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I just remembered back when my friend ran dino crisis 2 I had looked up all the fanart of it on da

Basically I'm years ahead of this thread

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hello morcant please stick around and enjoy games with us :)

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006
There's nothing like watching the first day of a GDQ and knowing that there's 6 more days to go.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

I just remembered back when my friend ran dino crisis 2 I had looked up all the fanart of it on da

Basically I'm years ahead of this thread

haha what would some of that fanart look like though haha

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

eonwe posted:

There was one that had a foot tickle thing going on that led me down the road of discovering foreverially delitized on my own

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm really looking forward to Myst III because I always felt like I was the only person who played the Myst series past Riven and it has a special place in my heart, except for myst V, which sucks. Ten minutes for Riven and 16 for Myst III both intrigue me because they must be extremely busted to allow for that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

while the textures are kind of garish now i feel like the myst visuals still coalesce into a pleasing aesthetic

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

This is some top-tier stutter game.

It is actually hurting my brain.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm really looking forward to Myst III because I always felt like I was the only person who played the Myst series past Riven and it has a special place in my heart, except for myst V, which sucks. Ten minutes for Riven and 16 for Myst III both intrigue me because they must be extremely busted to allow for that.

I was frustrated with Riven because while I liked the atmosphere its style of having two huge puzzles you unlock on the way didn't gel with me. I appreciate it more in hindsight, but the small puzzles to move around the islands didn't feel satisfying to me (because they lacked a big "PUZZLE" sign is my best guess) so it felt like I was getting nowhere. Exile was a step back to having self-contained puzzles and progress and that return to form has made it my favorite.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

eonwe posted:

Please, we don’t want a repeat of the last version of this thread

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh Riven isn't busted, it's just that you click real fast

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I've never seen this game before because I couldn't figure out even Myst as a kid, but this computer man reminds me of Charles Dance

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

riven was the one i beat

exile i only played for a little bit because it was on pre-metaboli GameTap

i'll get it eventually

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

There's nothing quite like Riven, either before or since.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you want games like these there's the rhem series on steam

with crowfeathers never posting anymore i have to carry the rhem torch

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
M Y S T

C A N O N

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Riven was the best. Kinda neat and sad beaten so quickly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

if you want games like these there's the rhem series on steam

with crowfeathers never posting anymore i have to carry the rhem torch

these all reviewed poorly it looks like, is that just reviewers being bad at puzzles or what

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

These point and click games have more speedrun tech than some action adventure games let that sink in

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

these all reviewed poorly it looks like, is that just reviewers being bad at puzzles or what
they're ancient as poo poo, made in macromedia director, and a little ugly even for their time

even the special editions are still basically 640x480 lol

i played rhem 4 and liked it but you have to know what you're getting into. they're all games made by one person

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This guy isn't wrong to talk up the Myst III music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFw0gbQk23M

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i imagine this will be more disorienting since this has the 360 panorama camera

i love node-games with 360 panorama cameras tho

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Jesus and people thought Riven was disorienting.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

they're ancient as poo poo, made in macromedia director, and a little ugly even for their time

even the special editions are still basically 640x480 lol

i played rhem 4 and liked it but you have to know what you're getting into. they're all games made by one person

They do have a bit of a 00s flash game feel them...

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I bought Riven when I was 15 and had no clue what I was doing. Probably should have bought something else but I had no idea back then. I just know I really liked Myst.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Okay, I said Myst 2 was messing with my brain but this is extremely messing with my brain. This is weird as heck and I don't like it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you want a modern myst style game, there's Quern, which i actually liked a lot more than obduction

https://store.steampowered.com/app/512790/Quern__Undying_Thoughts/

apparently xing is also myst-y but i have not bought or played that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The hardest puzzles in Myst III are finding the hidden staircases in these panoramic views

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
when's pyst

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

morcant posted:

Wednesday night is both my wedding anniversary and the block in particular is a bit late for me - that I'm still awake now is basically a miracle lol. But if I can, I'll definitely check it out!

It's late for me too; good thing there are always the links to the VODs at https://new.gdqvods.com/

I've seen the first two games (Super Hydlide and Hoshi wo Miru Hito) during a previous marathon, so they're definitely going to be worth going back and watching later when you have the time.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Okay, I said Myst 2 was messing with my brain but this is extremely messing with my brain. This is weird as heck and I don't like it.

I have serious respect for these guys being able to speedrun these games without getting sick.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I want the bead dourif% run

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's patty time

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

myst block did not disappoint

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Man, that was a weird and interesting block.

Myst was great!

Riven was interesting and engaging.

Myst III may have given me a slight headache but was also legit an interesting speedrun, like, in the sense that it's apparently a fascinating game which I've never played. But, like, playing the whole game from inside a pre-rendered fishbowl with the camera attached to your mouse input, that's a display/control scheme I had never even considered could exist.

I mean it's...it's a bad one? maybe it's much less nauseating if you're the one controlling it because you're expecting the movement, or I'm just easily nauseated.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

I mean it's...it's a bad one? maybe it's much less nauseating if you're the one controlling it because you're expecting the movement, or I'm just easily nauseated.

I replayed it recently with a group of friends and out of six of us, two people had motion sickness issues with the game. So it's definitely an issue for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Woke up in time for Patty, a most auspicious day