Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
snyped

Agony Aunt posted:

a lot of backers might just actually, finally, start asking some hard questions.

History shows that this is not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pixelate posted:

Is there anything preventing them releasing Theatres of War as a stand-alone? That's what I'm wondering.

You mean besides incompetence?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Contingency posted:

Could be S42 released as both a SC module/episode-based drip feed, and a standalone copy at a later date. Let's say 99% of S42 players get their content as part of SC. CIG could give Crytek 100% revenue from the 30 or so standalone copies of S42 sold. Even better, give every S42 preorder a complimentary copy of SC that S42 runs within. There's lots of ways to end up having it both ways.

with the way SC and sq42 development are seemingly tired together they probably can successfully argue that whatever approach they take the decision was made at the last minute. provided they keep any actual decision making verbal and between sufficiently trustworthy individuals which given the cig corporate structure should be pretty easy.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I need mess hall gameplay and I need it now!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

remember how much noise they made about that stupid mess hall scene, and the last thing we saw the AI couldn't even figure out how to sit down without janking through the tables

god i miss those days

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't Squadron 42's beta coming in March?

Along-side Half Life : Alyx. Lol.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Daztek posted:

... Has this been posted yet?

:lol: this is loving unreal...

Only CIG would pre-sell a JPEG of socks with broken code on it for networking issues that were solved in other games 20 years ago.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 6, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Pixelate posted:

More people are getting the missing eyes = no HUD bug. It really is a thing.

Why would the eyeball assets be linked to HUD elements? Is this some legacy madness from the eaglehead tech?

Looks like a rare bug but it's definitely affected a few players. These issues all describe the same symptoms, with a few reproductions.

PLAYER'S EYES MISSING CAUSING HUD ELEMENTS TO DISAPPEAR
MISSING INFORMATION ON HUD
STAR MAP LABELS MISSING
NO MAKERS AND OTHER HINTS ON MY HUD
HUD DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE

Apparently solved by going into character customization and reapplying an eye color. What a stupid bug and so perfectly Star Citizen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mongolian Queef posted:

const uint46

Chris typedefs all of his own variables for greater fidelity, memory alignment errors be damned.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

no_recall posted:

lol nope

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Daztek posted:

Wait... wasn't revealing Cryengine code one of the things the Crytech lawsuit was about? Are these socks illegal?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Viscous Soda posted:

Wait... wasn't revealing Cryengine code one of the things the Crytech lawsuit was about? Are these socks illegal?

If that were Cryengine code then it would mean CIG chose an engine suited to the game they're trying to make and might have actually finished something by now

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bofast posted:

Are you talking about The Titanic? :ohdear:

Ahoy!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

squadron forty two
so undeveloped it's true
crytek can not sue

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Der Shovel posted:

An actual lawyer(tm) on Twitter was speculating that the lawsuit hinges on Squadron 42 being released, and discovery has turned up evidence from CIG indicating Squadron 42 isn't going to be released for "years", if ever.

But this is good for Star Citizen I'm sure.

People bust down the door, demanding everything they have for Squadron. The six developers and 78 marketing people play the YouTube videos.

"Show is the game code and it's status!" Is the angry demand!

They play the YouTube videos again and a marketer goes "Tada!" and some developer out of Full Sail for three months stands up from behind his action figure of Boba Fett and blows a party horn.

It turns out it really is all smoke and mirrors and Maya renders. The game is the dream of the best game, but it doesn't actually exist.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Do they even do any lovely dev videos anymore? Hardly anyone talks about them anymore.

Anyway it would be hilarious if they did one on volumetric shaders and reflection maps. Call it Smoke and Mirrors.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 6, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

More people are getting the missing eyes = no HUD bug. It really is a thing.

Why would the eyeball assets be linked to HUD elements? Is this some legacy madness from the eaglehead tech?

My thought would be some junior developer having to work with the Frankencode of Star Citizen and realizing somewhere that they have the eyeballs able to look where the player is looking and somehow these are connected, so the only way to keep the hud in player sight is to link them to the eyeballs, so whatever the player looks at the hud is there too if it's on. When the eyes vanish the hud can no longer be seen because they are further down the hierarchy link.

It makes no sense at all which is why I'm probably 99% certain this is how they did it.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 6, 2020

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Actually, a lot more thought went into this post than most of mine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

no_recall posted:

Along-side Half Life : Alyx. Lol.

Legal documents from the current lawsuit CIG is in suggests it has quietly been canceled.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Squadron 42 : Unanswerable Call

Squadron 42 : Please leave a message after the beep.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

Good points, i just don't see how they can release a SQ42 of any kind. Half the stuff they need for it is is either on the roadmap and not complete or its tech that's on the SC roadmap that is not likely to get done next year, or its stuff that isn't on any roadmap yet (but most open development company ever could possibly be working on it without it being on the roadmap).

The roadmaps are either pure fiction, or their current "dev" team's understanding of their job. In either case, we can't learn anything from it. The court document revealed more of the status of SQ42 than anything CIG has said since 2011.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

My thought would be some junior developer having to work with the Frankencode of Star Citizen and realizing somewhere that they have the eyeballs able to look where the player is looking and somehow these are connected, so the only way to keep the hud in player sight is to link them to the eyeballs, so whatever the player looks at the hud is there too if it's on. When the eyes vanish the hud can no longer be seen because they are further down the hierarchy link.

It makes no sense at all which is why I'm probably 99% certain this is how they did it.

You know, knowing Chris Roberts, I'm extremely surprised that the screen doesn't flip to black and back every few moments, with a vertical wipe, to simulate the natural act of blinking your commando's eyelids. After all, as Chris has shown us repeatedly, he sees things every sane person edits out, like the sides of your helmet or head bob. The cameras are apparently already in the eyeball. In fact, instead of making the screen go black, they should actually animate the lids down over the camera view, that way they're not "cheating" and it's more fidelitious.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Daztek posted:

I was positive ... positive ... that this was a photoshop. Until I followed the link.

It takes some serious balls to monetize a fake buzzword used to continue propping up a fraudulent project. This would be like Nigerian email scammers selling "I released trapped funds for a Nigerian Prince" t-shirts.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I was positive ... positive ... that this was a photoshop. Until I followed the link.

It takes some serious balls to monetize a fake buzzword used to continue propping up a fraudulent project. This would be like Nigerian email scammers selling "I released trapped funds for a Nigerian Prince" t-shirts.

How much for these t-shirts?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Star Citizen: Crowdfunding, management technique, dreams, social exchange, social capital

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

The roadmaps are either pure fiction, or their current "dev" team's understanding of their job. In either case, we can't learn anything from it. The court document revealed more of the status of SQ42 than anything CIG has said since 2011.

More information in a large redacted black square than 8 years of open development.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen : Ultimate Dream Management

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

ErrEff posted:

Looks like a rare bug but it's definitely affected a few players. These issues all describe the same symptoms, with a few reproductions.

PLAYER'S EYES MISSING CAUSING HUD ELEMENTS TO DISAPPEAR
MISSING INFORMATION ON HUD
STAR MAP LABELS MISSING
NO MAKERS AND OTHER HINTS ON MY HUD
HUD DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE

Apparently solved by going into character customization and reapplying an eye color. What a stupid bug and so perfectly Star Citizen.

R E A L I S M

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Titanic posted:

I love how CIG started out with a very challenging idea and then proceeded to make their efforts even harder every step of the way.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Pixelate posted:

What we're backing, we don't need eyes to play!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

How long until concept sale for the CyberTugship? An Elite-like wedge (of course still composed of millions of polygons forming a single triangle per side, because fidelity), which pulls and pushes above it's weight?

Also I really laughed about that SOCS-photoshop until I realized it's actually real.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

btw, is there a complete list of all of CIGs fuckups? Should we create one?

- The missing seat in a ship and Ben "investigating" the case
- Internal flags like "snowflake", "goon" or "dereksmart" exposed in the HTML-code of their customer support site
- Road to CitCon
- Sandi handing over five boxes of donuts on camera to two guys who where just talking about loosing weight
- Tickler in Black
- Chris trying to play his own game, and failing miserably
- Chris AGAIN trying to play his own game, and failing even more miserably
- OCS having nearly no effect on performance
- SSOCS having nearly no effect on performance or players per server
- The ramp incident
- The GamesCom presentation where they had to restart the servers every 15 minutes because the patch wasn't ready
- The overall fact that they have to restart the servers twice a day because they crash
- Sunday-work for Ortwin after the Coutts deal got public
- The "It's a mystery"-printout in the UK office
- The trust dial
- The badly removed watermark on the space blanket
- Sandi's cardboard cutout which was an actuall actress with her head stamped on
- Chris spitting on the cake
- Script-drop
- All the demos on CitCon and Anniversary Stream that went wrong
- Shipping per item on their store
- All the archers (I assume this would make an even longer list)
- Chris falling asleep during a Citcon interview
- Ben saying he played through all of Squadron42, and it's awesome
- Disco making fun of Chris' lies during an ATV
- Sandi going crazy during an RTV because the camera angle showed her in her office
- That one Anniversary Stream which could also make a complete list
- The Hello Kitty thing
- Tonks
- Hamill actually forgetting what the game is called that he's shilling for
- Monaco trip
- "The backers will never know"
- "Engine switch" to Lumberyard
- Sandi's mail to Beer4TheBeerGod
- The alledged AMD letter
- Chris' letter to TheEscapist
- Vanduul beeing the wrong size
- The 250 dollar "buy this ship right now, whales"-dinner
- "Meet me at the big chicken"
- CIG refunding Derek Smart
- Star Citizen
- Squadron42

I am quite sure I forgot about 98%....

e: I miss the days when they hosed up on a weekly basis

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

tuo posted:

How long until concept sale for the CyberTugship? An Elite-like wedge (of course still composed of millions of polygons forming a single triangle per side, because fidelity), which pulls and pushes above it's weight?

Also I really laughed about that SOCS-photoshop until I realized it's actually real.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16971-The-ARGO-SRV

The space-tugboat JPEG was sold last (?) year. All the whales bought one and immediately forgot about it.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

- Space door that was totally just some wood and a garage door opener

- Sandi singing the first stanza of Deutschlandlied, which is associated with nazis, and subsequently deleting the video of it

- THE WORM WAS NOT A JOKE!

- Star Marine weeks, not months, away from release, before getting cancelled, "it's just a game mode", wait it's back but developed completely in-house

- What is PVP slider?

iron buns fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 6, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

...compiling....

Zushio
May 8, 2008
PvP Slider is K.K. Slider's more competitive younger brother.

https://youtu.be/lX9KTyAKh6w

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

- Overpriced desk made of airplane parts but falling apart

iron buns posted:

- Sandi singing the first stanza of Deutschlandlied, which is associated with nazis, and subsequently deleting the video of it

I can't find any more info on this outside other SA threads.

Star Citizen is like the Smash Bros. Ultimate of 'video game bad' and I would love to see something tyeing it to nazi-ism. Only thing I see now is an in-verse Nazi Party.

I can't find the airplane desk pics or backstory either atm.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
-Sponsorship by SquattyPotty

Renfield fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 6, 2020

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
- Stealing Venture design from Eve and calling it Vulture
- Stealing cockpit design from some movie (sadly can't find it now)
- Stealing design for some of their character drafts and I believe firing the guy after?
- Basically stealing anything from anywhere and be totally shameless about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

IIRC, it was when they either first went to GamesCom (which is in Germany) or had their first CitizenCon in Germany, but I'm pretty sure it was at GamesCom. Since she speaks basically every language available, some fans asked her to speak some german, and she actually managed to speak a little bit, only to start singing the Horst Wessel Lied.

Which also reminds me of some more stuff:

- Sandi's scarf
- Chris' Bong picture in Cologne
- Chris Robert Industries on the door of Gamescom
- Totally real holograms
- The Intel Optane saga
- The display of the ship-made-out-of-ice that leaked the delay of the JPEG