Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

Oooh, do tell about this. I'm not sure how to conceive of a non-supernatural shivers, or find a real-life analogue to it.

It's very hard to explain, in fact this game is the closest I've ever seen. It's that feeling of being exposed to elements somehow empowering you. I really like going out in the rain, or snow, or cold, and just walking.

Obviously I don't get the city telling me to look under the floorboards, but at the same time, it does make me feel more 'in tune' with the world. More alive.

e; whenever I need to figure something out, whether it's a physics problem, stuff at work, or something personal, if I get stuck I just go out into the cold night underdressed. Usually I have my answer before I'm back. I guess it's relaxing and meditative to me, but by god, the Shivers skill feels exactly like this quirk of mine.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've got Shivers but it's mostly making poo poo up.

Just hit the credits. I recruited Kim! I feel like I could play a million games like this.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Finished the game last night (at first I had "Beat the game" but that didn't sound appropriate for this one). I have a bunch of thoughts of the meaning of the game thematically that I might write-up at some point if I feel the mood, but I have a few questions about some choices I made/how certain situations played out:

Is there a way to have Klaasje at the Tribunal? Arresting her keeps her in town but not at the Tribunal and probably gets her killed from what she said. I gave her a ticket and seemed to be in her good graces more or less but she fled before the Tribunal.

For that matter, can you resolve the Tribunal without violence? Or is it just a matter of how much violence? For the record, I Han Solo'd the lead merc, the mercs shot 3 of the Hardie boys (and me), and Kim took out the other 2.

Is the cryptid's nest the way the game gives you key items you missed? Mine had the scope, a helmet, and Klaasje's passport. I wasn't sure if there were other key pieces of evidence that I'd missed if they'd appear there.

How does the game ending work if you just never engaged with any of the cryptid people at all? Is your bean just completely freaked by this random stick monster out of nowhere?

Is there a way to arrest Ruby or does she always run away or kill herself? This was one of the few times I save scummed but these were the only 2 outcomes I could get.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

dex_sda posted:

Stunningly accurate. I have a very addictive personality and there really is this kind of voice (something between impulse and voice really) that has you involve yourself in situations where drugs or booze might show up.

e; If I had to pick the 'skills' that speak the most to the impulses I have, it's definitely EC, non-supernatural Shivers, and (luckily, so I am able to control myself around booze these days :) ) Volition.

Same. Even after a year in recovery, my Electrochemistry voice is still pretty chatty.

The skills I relate to the most are Volition, Empathy, and Electrochemistry.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

The themes on drug use are most interesting to me, partly because I've abstained from them for all my life, so I don't really have a good vantage point for it. How do people more familiar with drug use (or more familiar with people familiar with drug use) find DE's portrayal of that?

I quit drinking when I started treating dysthymia (chronic depression that while rather persistent very rarely goes into "severe" territory so it gives a sort-of stability to the condition) and took me a while to realize how much my mesolimbic reward pathway does not give a gently caress about everything else that happens once alcohol hits. The during of it is amazing.

The after, very not much so.

The problem was that once alcohol started to wean off, I would get these intense sad thoughts that could really tear my rear end in a top hat down, and suddenly there was I in bed feeling extremely bad and angry about things. Hangovers were this strong emotional incapacitation, even if I didn't get actually inebriated (just a couple of glasses of wine would be enough).

After I got off the antidepressants I tried drinking a night that a good friend was leaving town, and poo poo sure as gently caress, I got bad afterwards, but managing the consequences was much easier and I had a lot more perspective ("neurochemistry is loving up me right now but it'll pass"). I simply realized that hey, regardless of depression or what, this drug is not for me, it wreaks havoc on my emotional regulation and wellbeing.

So, I can definitely relate to Harry doing All Those Things because I understand (sort of) the destructive impulses that can arise out of a binge. I feel very fortunate that I never got to a point where the consumption became compulsion - where alcoholism begins - in order to keep rebounding the sadness, until misery is all you have left.

As an aside: funnily enough, psychostimulants like MDMA? I have no emotional comedown at all, no serotonin crash or anything like that, whereas most people that I know of get apocalyptic levels of Sunday Blues. Electrochemistry is one hell of a finicky bastard.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Does learning Acele's dad once killed a man with a kebab before encountering the dead guy on the boardwalk cause you to jump to the conclusion that she murdered the guy using the kebab in the trash?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rosalind posted:

Finished the game last night (at first I had "Beat the game" but that didn't sound appropriate for this one). I have a bunch of thoughts of the meaning of the game thematically that I might write-up at some point if I feel the mood, but I have a few questions about some choices I made/how certain situations played out:

Is there a way to have Klaasje at the Tribunal? Arresting her keeps her in town but not at the Tribunal and probably gets her killed from what she said. I gave her a ticket and seemed to be in her good graces more or less but she fled before the Tribunal.

For that matter, can you resolve the Tribunal without violence? Or is it just a matter of how much violence? For the record, I Han Solo'd the lead merc, the mercs shot 3 of the Hardie boys (and me), and Kim took out the other 2.

Is the cryptid's nest the way the game gives you key items you missed? Mine had the scope, a helmet, and Klaasje's passport. I wasn't sure if there were other key pieces of evidence that I'd missed if they'd appear there.

How does the game ending work if you just never engaged with any of the cryptid people at all? Is your bean just completely freaked by this random stick monster out of nowhere?

Is there a way to arrest Ruby or does she always run away or kill herself? This was one of the few times I save scummed but these were the only 2 outcomes I could get.

No. Klassje does not appear at the tribunal.

6 deaths is the best outcome. I think there are three other outcomes. Also Kim can get shot or not in all of them. If Kim gets shot and you've made friends with Cuno, Cuno is your partner in the final sequence.
I believe if you check the skill test result for Harry getting shot the second time it says "INEVITABLY FAILED", a result which only occurs one other place, on the 'one more door'.

Those items don't exist anywhere else, they appear in the nest if you've completed certain side branches. For instance, I didn't get the passport because I never passed "Free Revachol" at the end of Klassje's storyline.
I assume the helmet is what you get for befriending Cuno (since he tossed it in the sea), and the scope is for completing all of the bullet arc checks.

I assume you just don't get the +3 bonus to walking up to it from doing the cryptid quest. You'd also lose the +3 bonus on the mural shivers test though, so it would be hard to pull off.

There are three outcomes. She runs away while the machine is turning off, she kills herself, or she runs away after you talk her down from killing herself.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 5, 2020

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I just played a board game with Kim and I am happy. I deliberately didn't play by the rules and invested in my workers. Good game in a good game.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

I just played a board game with Kim and I am happy. I deliberately didn't play by the rules and invested in my workers. Good game in a good game.

gently caress I KNEW I FORGOT THINGS

3rd playthrough next month ahoy

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I am playing this on an older underpowered laptop and while the game plays fine, the loading screens take FOREVER. Is there any way (beyond the setting menu) top optimize this game for older hardware?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TommyGun85 posted:

I am playing this on an older underpowered laptop and while the game plays fine, the loading screens take FOREVER. Is there any way (beyond the setting menu) top optimize this game for older hardware?

I have it installed on an SSD and I feel like it takes a while to load but I'm probably just spoiled it's true :pcgaming:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
:same: it's slow on my SSD too.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have a 5 year old computer and a normal harddrive, it loads pretty fast for me

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
its a buggy mess for me. it freezes like 50% of the time on loading screens or takes upwards of 5 minutes to load. my system may be old but its capable of running way more graphically intesive games just fine.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Psykmoe posted:

It's also kind of telling that Wasteland of Reality, the sobering up Thought, takes 20 hours to internalize and then isn't actually very good. I still did it, though, because drat it, I want Harry to pull himself together in the future. Even if the Thought does promise it will be very boring and unrewarding. No bonus pats on the back for acting like a normal human.

I actually disagree - with the bit about Wasteland of Reality not being very good. It's +1 to all Psych skills, -1 to two Psych skills (so those bonuses cancel out - they get both the +1 and the -1 for no change), and -1 to Physical Instrument. In other words, -1 to Physical Instrument in exchange for +1 to Volition, Empathy, Authority, and Esprit de Corps.

Entirely worth it, and in fact one of the better thoughts in the game :colbert:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Conot posted:

Volition is trying to tell you something different

Volition in that instance was really interesting: specifically how it overbalances afterwards and keeps pushing you to arrest her. Not because there's any evidence, but because that feels like the act that takes the most willpower to do. As someone who's just now getting treated for lifelong ADHD, that was really relatable.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Volition in that instance was really interesting: specifically how it overbalances afterwards and keeps pushing you to arrest her. Not because there's any evidence, but because that feels like the act that takes the most willpower to do. As someone who's just now getting treated for lifelong ADHD, that was really relatable.

next time you go through make sure your Drama is really high if you enjoyed this

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I hadn't invested much at all in motorics this playthrough because I started with a base of 4. Tried to distract the mercs before engaging and got Elizabeth shot :(

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
how do some of these interaction vhecks work? Im not talking about the white and red checks, but the ones that happen through conversation.

For example I got this:

Inland Empire (Challenging: Failure)
Challenging: 12
vs
Your Total: 8

Where does my total come from? I have 4 points in Inland Empire, not 8.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i believe dice rolls are happening just like w/ the white and red checks, they're just invisible. not certain though

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
your extra points comes from the clothing you are wearing

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GulagDolls posted:

i believe dice rolls are happening just like w/ the white and red checks, they're just invisible. not certain though

It's not a roll, it's just 6+Stat+Modifiers.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

I actually disagree - with the bit about Wasteland of Reality not being very good. It's +1 to all Psych skills, -1 to two Psych skills (so those bonuses cancel out - they get both the +1 and the -1 for no change), and -1 to Physical Instrument. In other words, -1 to Physical Instrument in exchange for +1 to Volition, Empathy, Authority, and Esprit de Corps.

Entirely worth it, and in fact one of the better thoughts in the game :colbert:

I stand corrected. Posted that without loading the game up again.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is it possible to sneak up on Ruby? The game wants you to think so but I couldn't do it with Savoir Faire 6 and without running.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Does anything happen if you run in the church? It was mentioned a few times so I didn't. And I was rewarded with one of the best scenes in the game.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I always ran in the church. I didn't realize it would actually change anything there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

UnknownMercenary posted:

I always ran in the church. I didn't realize it would actually change anything there.

What does it change?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Karpaw posted:

Is it possible to sneak up on Ruby? The game wants you to think so but I couldn't do it with Savoir Faire 6 and without running.

I think Kim's line is straight out saying that's not happening. In general you're not being stealthy, since most everyone else knows their home turf and can see you coming.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIkT6XEufAA

oh my loving god, the track title and the moment it happens I never knew :3:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

sebmojo posted:

What does it change?

I thought spider crabman would appear running or no running? I’m assuming that’s what he’s talking about?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I assume it is just flavour text.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hello all. I run a tiny little Youtube channel and am considering making a video about disco Elysium, specifically how it tackles the concept of "Hauntology".

On immediate recollection, to me it seems this theme is explored most overtly through the failed Communard revolution (though one could say that people like Renee are also haunted by the loss of the Revecholian royal family), the Pale (a collection of the past that will one day consume the world) and Harry's own past (something he knows nothing about but looms over him and impacts his present life). The fact that an independant/communist Revechol was replaced by a limp ultraliberal regime is also worth mentioning I think. Are there any more good examples of this I'm missing? In the early stages of kicking the idea around so only have a couple pages of notes.

e: \/\/\/ Yeah, the Deserter being the "key" to the whole mystery/game at large is maybe the best example of the idea in the game, coming right at the end and acting as the perfect example of the idea.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 6, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably seems obvious but The Deserter seems a pretty clear reference to that one Japanese soldier who was still hiding out on a Pacific island decades after WW2 and refused to accept it ended.

I really like about this game is that no one except (sometimes) the most obviously contradictory characters is quite what they seem on the surface, but informed by material realities. The Evrart brothers come to mind, they look like bloated corrupt hypocritical union bosses but are actually genuinely working towards social democracy by any means necessary, and their motives are unclear but seem implied to be that they see it as their only viable route to real power- and they understand that the way to get and keep power is to be someone who people are willing to give power to, and actually do material good for their followers.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Calico Heart posted:

Hello all. I run a tiny little Youtube channel and am considering making a video about disco Elysium, specifically how it tackles the concept of "Hauntology".

On immediate recollection, to me it seems this theme is explored most overtly through the failed Communard revolution (though one could say that people like Renee are also haunted by the loss of the Revecholian royal family), the Pale (a collection of the past that will one day consume the world) and Harry's own past (something he knows nothing about but looms over him and impacts his present life). The fact that an independant/communist Revechol was replaced by a limp ultraliberal regime is also worth mentioning I think. Are there any more good examples of this I'm missing? In the early stages of kicking the idea around so only have a couple pages of notes.

e: \/\/\/ Yeah, the Deserter being the "key" to the whole mystery/game at large is maybe the best example of the idea in the game, coming right at the end and acting as the perfect example of the idea.

There's the Cryptid.

It has the exact parameters of a ghost, being dreamlike and hard to perceive, and for the majority of the game, being a memory of an encounter that haunts the couple, and you can only communicate with it by imaginative means.

I generally think it's a mistake to talk about the deserter without talking about the Cryptid, because the whole encounter is set up as a contrast between the two.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 6, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm bummed because the Church quest seems to be softlocked for me. I need more points in Suggestion to convince the girl to let the boys start up their music club, but my Suggestion can't be leveled any further and I don't have any Thoughts to increase the skill or its skill cap. The only option I see is to forcibly evict her, but I wanted everyone to chill and be happy together...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

FistEnergy posted:

I'm bummed because the Church quest seems to be softlocked for me. I need more points in Suggestion to convince the girl to let the boys start up their music club, but my Suggestion can't be leveled any further and I don't have any Thoughts to increase the skill or its skill cap. The only option I see is to forcibly evict her, but I wanted everyone to chill and be happy together...

There's thoughts that reset checks, and there's maybe a bonus or two that you missed. But otherwise...

Have you considered taking drugs

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I finished the ending without Kim, Cuno is also my bro now. It's amazing that they managed to make two characters so different work so well in the ending. Recruiting him was heartwarming. :)

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Fangz posted:

There's thoughts that reset checks, and there's maybe a bonus or two that you missed. But otherwise...

Have you considered taking drugs

The dicemaker making certain dice resets checks, too. Check the wiki to see which dice you need made.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Kim can tell you pretty early on that the RCM is entirely funded by public donations, the actual Moralintern administration only tolerates them.

Which casts the Moralists in kind of a lovely light because yeah they say that they want slow, incremental change, but they can't be bothered to fund the people who keep the Status Quo from backsliding into chaos?

What's the reason? Have ultraliberal capitalist interests just won and argued successfully that the citizens of Revanchol are paying for exactly as much police as they want and need so there's no reason to have like, a tax to fund cops?

Or is the Administration just that loving salty that after the war the RCM formed and managed to restore a modicum of order and even earn a kernel of public trust in the parts of Revanchol that don't belong to the 1%? Something which the Moralintern probably still hasn't really managed to do forty years later.

Or both I guess.

I mean yeah the Sunday Friend is basically an EU Bureaucrat full of free market babble, but the police funding thing got to me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

dex_sda posted:

The dicemaker making certain dice resets checks, too. Check the wiki to see which dice you need made.

:stare: