Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The more obvious answer is that Zombie just... really likes over-the-top edgy poo poo. Like, that's kind of been his brand forever.

Yeah, that's his thing, and that's why I really don't like his movies. They're basically movies for edgy teens who didn't have the benefit of growing up in the time of VHS rentals.

Back in my day if you wanted edgy, you got a 4th generation VHS copy of Faces of Death from your friend's uncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

COOL CORN posted:

The car crash scene in Halloween II is one of the most effectively painful to watch things I've seen though. Like, the experience of trying to move after an accident and your body just... not working, and all you can say is "oh gently caress, oh gently caress" while you're panicking about what just happened to you - it's very accurately portrayed.

I think there's a lot wrong with Halloween II (2009, dir. Robert Zombie), but I still remember that scene well.

He’s good at showing suffering. Making you care about the characters? Building tension? Not so much

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just was Us. There's a lot going on in that movie, but I really liked it. Maybe even better than Get Out.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Us is one of the few movies I've watched, thought about, and rewatched in a short period of time. The text is pretty cool, but the subtext elevates it to this weird place. It's a real thinkin' kind of movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Us is fun because it kinda is a CYOA at the end, where there's like three spots you could just fade to black and roll credits and it would be just fine as a movie, and you can kinda decide which ending you want using your remote control.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Jordan Peele is a really interesting director doing really interesting things, but I think the subtext was too overt in Get Out and too vague in Us. They're great films, though.

And this is where I say that Parasite does the same thing but nails it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like Blair Witch Project as much as the next guy but as a Marylander I wish it wasn't the one and only choice on every single one of these maps. Hannibal Lecter was housed in Baltimore, can we go with Silence of the Lambs one time just to mix it up?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

PYF horror circle
DONT MAKE ME CHOOSE

:nws:

:nws:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Viy is such a great story, I think it's high time we make another movie version of Viy.

Don't get me wrong the original Viy movie is a good film, I just want to see what a modern version would look like.

https://letterboxd.com/film/viy-1909/

https://letterboxd.com/film/viy-1996/

https://letterboxd.com/film/evil-spirit-2008/

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FreudianSlippers posted:

PYF horror circle

Race with the Devil

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

I find this post to be kind of sad. It's completely devoid of any appreciation for directing and writing talent and it seems like he's so insecure he needs to filter everything through the mind of a massive poser.

Lol.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Jordan Peele is a really interesting director doing really interesting things, but I think the subtext was too overt in Get Out and too vague in Us.

Considering that Allison Williams had to clarify that she was the bad guy Peele could probably have ramped up the subtext In Get Out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

I find this post to be kind of sad. It's completely devoid of any appreciation for directing and writing talent and it seems like he's so insecure he needs to filter everything through the mind of a massive poser.

haha drat I missed this post

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/Bad_Durandal/status/1214215059364184065

correct. :colbert:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, that's his thing, and that's why I really don't like his movies. They're basically movies for edgy teens who didn't have the benefit of growing up in the time of VHS rentals.

Back in my day if you wanted edgy, you got a 4th generation VHS copy of Faces of Death from your friend's uncle.

It’s tempting to chalk all the crazy carney hellbilly clown stuff that Zombie does up to edgy affectation but weirdly enough it’s how he grew up (allegedly):

quote:

His parents worked in a carnival, but they chose to leave after a riot broke out and tents were set on fire. Cummings recalled the experience in an interview, stating, "Everybody's pulling out guns, and you could hear guns going off. I remember this one guy we knew, he was telling us where to go, and some guy just ran up to him and hit him in the face with a hammer – just busted his face wide open. My parents packed up real quick, and we took off."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I've never seen any of the Purge movies and don't really know much about them beyond the premise, are the first two or three or whatever worth watching or should one just start with The First Purge?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

I've never seen any of the Purge movies and don't really know much about them beyond the premise, are the first two or three or whatever worth watching or should one just start with The First Purge?

Skip the very first one because it’s a boring home invasion movie

Part 2 was a fun action movie, think of Escape from New York

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Neo Rasa posted:

The original Purge movie isn't bad or anything, but nothing really to write home about beyond the interesting premise. This changes radically starting with The Purge 2, where it becomes extremely political and really good. Start with The Purge 2, maybe check out the first movie as a curiosity.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I still haven't seen the third Purge movie. Agreed with everyone else though - 1 is ok but skippable, 2 is a fun action b-movie, and 4 is legit excellent

e: also there's no need to watch the original before the others, there's no connected plot beyond the basic premise

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 6, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is the show worth checking out?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
nah, I watched the first season and it's like a movie's worth of plot stretched over 10 episodes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

nah, I watched the first season and it's like a movie's worth of plot stretched over 10 episodes

Good to know the spirit of Netflix Marvel is still with us (though for some reason those were mostly 13 episodes :wtc: ).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

david_a posted:

OK fine I forgot all about that and it kind of kills my amazing attempt at humor, but he didn’t start chowing down on it on-screen in 1978

Your jokes managed that on their own, I think

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gey muckle mowser posted:

I still haven't seen the third Purge movie. Agreed with everyone else though - 1 is ok but skippable, 2 is a fun action b-movie, and 4 is legit excellent

e: also there's no need to watch the original before the others, there's no connected plot beyond the basic premise

Pet names:

3: I'm with Hurge
4: The Blurge

It really is something that we have these really explicitly political movies getting widespread releases. The 4th Purge features literally black power rhetoric and centers black community leaders (of both legal and illegal varieties) in a post-BLM world really powerfully.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 6, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The only antagonist that sticks out in that series is the :byodame:I want candy:byodame: girl because she was so hilariously terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

The only antagonist that sticks out in that series is the :byodame:I want candy:byodame: girl because she was so hilariously terrible.

I thought Skeletor from the First Purge was pretty memorable. I admit I had to look up his name because I don't remember it being mentioned in the actual movie but he did have a pretty strong presence.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The GOD mask absolutely rules

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I like Blair Witch Project as much as the next guy but as a Marylander I wish it wasn't the one and only choice on every single one of these maps. Hannibal Lecter was housed in Baltimore, can we go with Silence of the Lambs one time just to mix it up?

how the gently caress do you think i feel about jaws and the conjuring as somebody from Boston

it should be the Lords of Salem :colbert:

or if not that at least give us the vvitch

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jaws is Jaws though. Be happy that the movie most associated with your state is about a giant killer shark and not some morons wandering around the woods without any tissues.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
In PA we have Night of the Living Dead :smug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

In PA we have Night of the Living Dead :smug:

You have Day of the Dead also. :D

I'm in New York so I have nothing to complain about either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I get Trick 'r Treat, that's pretty good

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Illinois gets Halloween, Henry, and Candyman.

Hell yeah.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

A clever person would bookmark this for a certain horror thread special challenge prompt.

Pretty happy with Day of the Dead / Crawl / Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things for Florida.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Officially the New Jersey movie is Friday the 13th but I would like to say that the actual official NJ horror movie is The Last Broadcast.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

A clever person would bookmark this for a certain horror thread special challenge prompt.

Pretty happy with Day of the Dead / Crawl / Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things for Florida.

I have a copy of the image saved from a while back.

While THEM! is a no brainer for New Mexico and Vampires isn't all that bad. Not too thrilled with Bone Tomahawk listed, but I guess they couldn't fit Track of the Moonbeast in readable font.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Officially the New Jersey movie is Friday the 13th but I would like to say that the actual official NJ horror movie is The Last Broadcast.

I've always been curious about how NJ and New Jerseyans feel about Friday the 13th as a representative of the state. Most of my time in NJ has been in EWR, which I can't say I enjoyed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Was about to suggest The Burning but that's upstate new york.

Are there any good Jersey Devil movies?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Nevada list makes me wonder why there aren’t more horror movies set in Las Vegas. I can think of Leprechaun 3 and one of the Resident Evils and that’s it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Splint Chesthair posted:

The Nevada list makes me wonder why there aren’t more horror movies set in Las Vegas. I can think of Leprechaun 3 and one of the Resident Evils and that’s it.

The Night Stalker takes place in Las Vegas