Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bayonetta is one of the best action games ever made and the devs still included a difficulty which is so easy that the game essentially plays itself. I think that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently it buffs things which makes the combat a lot faster, with your attacks being more powerful and posture regenerating quickly. The changes listed are:

- It does not die by Terror.
- Strong attack power, high defense strength, and stamina.
- High Drop item Rate.
- Weapon buff time increase.
- Infinite Spirit Emblem.
- Prevents Damage from falling.
- Infinite Time of Puppeteer Ninjustsu

It seems you still die and need to learn to parry etc. but it makes fights faster and also more forgiving.

Mixing good whisky with coke etc.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would genuinely feel let down if FromSoft released a Dark Souls game with a baked in “easy mode” yes.

Every gamer is not entitled to beat every game.

SUNKOS posted:

Bayonetta is one of the best action games ever made and the devs still included a difficulty which is so easy that the game essentially plays itself. I think that's pretty cool.

Those games are designed from the ground up around variable difficulty.

As Beanpole or some other Sekiro fan once said “SeKiro is already on easy mode, it’s the hard mode that’s optional”

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 6, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If you would be genuinely upset that more people got to enjoy a video game that you like then perhaps the issue is not the games or people who aren't "hardcore" enough for you.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I should play Bloodbourne again, I bounced off it when it came out but based on everyone's posts I was probably playing it wrong by being too defensive.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I didn’t summon a single person for my Bloodborne journey outside of npcs :c00lbert:

Bust Rodd posted:

I would genuinely feel let down if FromSoft released a Dark Souls game with a baked in “easy mode” yes.

Those games are designed from the ground up around variable difficulty.

As Beanpole or some other Sekiro fan once said “SeKiro is already on easy mode, it’s the hard mode that’s optional”

:yeah: and I haven’t even been able to git gud in any but BB (git ok maybe)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

gey muckle mowser posted:

I should play Bloodbourne again, I bounced off it when it came out but based on everyone's posts I was probably playing it wrong by being too defensive.

One of the central mechanics is that you regain health by inflicting damage on enemies shortly after they have damaged you. You should definitely not be playing defensively. Play smart of course, because of the usual FromSoftware traps, but during combat you need to be very aggressive.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'd say explore cautiously and engage in combat offensively. Learning to parry (especially with a skill build) can turn a lot of enemies and bosses into cakewalks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bloodborne literally makes fun of people who use shields, one of the many reasons that it’s the eternal GOAT

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Housh posted:

Link please.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Cha...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Got these and a few cheaper from AliExpress and they own.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Most hilariously lame sentence of 2020 so far

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bust Rodd posted:

Bloodborne literally makes fun of people who use shields, one of the many reasons that it’s the eternal GOAT

The better burn was putting in a second, shittier shield in the dlc

quote:

I'd say explore cautiously and engage in combat offensively. Learning to parry (especially with a skill build) can turn a lot of enemies and bosses into cakewalks.

The game becomes significantly easier if you forget the gun exists, two-hand a weapon, break lock, and pretend you're back in Dark Souls honestly.

Also fun fact, you can jump the flaming shockwaves in the Ludwig boss fight.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 6, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

The better burn was putting in a second, shittier shield in the dlc

The Loch shield saves you from big elemental AoE attacks in Chalice dungeon boss fights, it’s basically a Hunter’s Tool, but yeah it’s absolute garbage in combat.

Escobarbarian posted:

Turn your monitor on

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SUNKOS posted:

I think its cool they included it but that anyone who sincerely used it is a fool.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Bloodborne is all about being aggressive and if you're getting overwhelmed "retreat" further ahead into the level instead of backtracking or making a stand.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Escobarbarian posted:

It was also bad in 2019 when this thread had the same terrible discussion

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Game developers can choose whether or not to add in varying difficulty levels, that's their own artistic vision and they're entitled to it, but saying your own enjoyment of a product is forever tarnished because those casuals can just play the game on easy mode is the dumbest poo poo on earth and the living manifestation of an Online Gamer Elemental opinion.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A guy trying to take pictures of the PS5 dev kit also included some pictures of a dev DS5. Whoever was pining for that 'touchpad is actually a touchscreen' rumor thing to be true is outta luck.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Policenaut posted:

A guy trying to take pictures of the PS5 dev kit also included some pictures of a dev DS5. Whoever was pining for that 'touchpad is actually a touchscreen' rumor thing to be true is outta luck.

Who was pining for $200 controllers?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

haveblue posted:

I mean the Elite is $250 already.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was also bad in 2019 when this thread had the same terrible discussion

It’s the word entitled that makes it especially terrible. Like sure, you don’t think every game should be beatable by everyone, that’s sorta lame imo but still a fair enough stance. But the use of the word “entitled” really betrays the absolute elitism that every one of BR’s posts is steeped in

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Whenever i see "every game should be winnable by everyone" I immediately picture a, dumbed down version of Spelunkys Eggplant run and it makes me sad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Whenever i see "every game should be winnable by everyone" I immediately picture a, dumbed down version of Spelunkys Eggplant run and it makes me sad

"every game should be winnable by everyone" is not the same as "every game should be 100%able by everyone"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing is "every game should be winnable for everyone" is an impossibility. You cannot achieve it for any game of a certain level of complexity. What you should do anyway is make your game as accessible as possible with what you can do but at some point you can't actually do anymore.

Every game should by default have subtitles on (gently caress games that have cutscenes before you can toggle it) and include colorblind settings (especially puzzle games) and customizable controls.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

RBA Starblade posted:

Every game should by default have subtitles on (gently caress games that have cutscenes before you can toggle it) and include colorblind settings (especially puzzle games) and customizable controls.

And every subtitle option should be in the audio settings!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I feel like I'm a decent way into God of War and the game seems massive. I just finished the claw crane puzzle room inside the mountain and am now pretty close to being at the peak. . At this point I've only gone to one other realm and it looks like there's 4 or 5 more to see? Also I've constantly passed chests/areas that are locked behind ciphers, red tentacles, blue thorns, etc... I am assuming I eventually get the means to interact with these things. This game must be really long.

I have a bunch of questions:

1. Will the game ever throw enemies at me that can punish rage mode? Currently I'm using the talisman that generates extra rage passively & has an active that generates rage as well. It sort of feels like cheating? I can start most battles in rage mode and kill most enemies off the bat. I just played a boss battle (Ice troll + adds in the crane puzzle room) where I started the battle off in rage mode and then immediately used the talisman + a rage pickup to activate it again. Between those two activation I killed the boss without ever taking a hit. It sort of feels like cheating. I'm thinking about removing the rage talsiman so I actually have to engage with the combat more. Anyone else have similar feelings?

2. One of my main complaints about the combat is that the camera feels too focused and zoomed when the game normally throws a lot of enemies at you. There's a lot of options in the menu to play with the camera. Is there any preferred settings to fix this issue?

3. I just realized you can upgrade combat runes. What's the deal with the light attack rune that shoots out an ice beam? It costs 4x as much to upgrade as all of my other light attack runes. I upgraded it once for 4K experience and now the second level costs 18,000, which is exponentially more than any other skill in the game so far. Why is it so disproportionate? Is this the best light attack rune in the game?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Game developers can choose whether or not to add in varying difficulty levels, that's their own artistic vision and they're entitled to it, but saying your own enjoyment of a product is forever tarnished because those casuals can just play the game on easy mode is the dumbest poo poo on earth and the living manifestation of an Online Gamer Elemental opinion.

I didn’t say that though, I said I’d be “let down” because it would mean that FromSoftware’s artistic vision had strayed from what made me love them. I don’t love Bayonetta or Devil May Cry less because it has easy mode and I don’t love Sekiro less because someone modded it. For someone who uses lots of $2 words your reading comprehension here is pretty poor.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s the word entitled that makes it especially terrible. Like sure, you don’t think every game should be beatable by everyone, that’s sorta lame imo but still a fair enough stance. But the use of the word “entitled” really betrays the absolute elitism that every one of BR’s posts is steeped in

What is wrong the word entitled? How is “I should be able to beat every game ever because I paid for it” not a sense of entitlement? Just once I’d love for you to climb off your high horse and explain what the gently caress you’re saying instead of taking potshots at me, it’s just weird, I’m honestly shocked you haven’t put me on ignore yet, I can only assume it’s because you revel in an opportunity to point and go “Hey look everyone, Bust Rodd is posting again!”

Megasabin posted:

I have a bunch of questions:

1. Rage mode is literally God Mode, you are never punished for using it, but Elemental Ancients and Valkyrie shrug it off

2. No, the Camera is glued to the glutes for artistic reasons, learn to live your little warning arrows and listen to Atreus and Mimir

3. Every Rune gets exponentially more expensive as you upgrade them, the beam is probably one of the weaker ones. I’d focus on the AoE runes for Light attacks and the Buff runes for Heavy Attacks

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 6, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Megasabin posted:

1. Will the game ever throw enemies at me that can punish rage mode? Currently I'm using the talisman that generates extra rage passively & has an active that generates rage as well. It sort of feels like cheating? I can start most battles in rage mode and kill most enemies off the bat. I just played a boss battle (Ice troll + adds in the crane puzzle room) where I started the battle off in rage mode and then immediately used the talisman + a rage pickup to activate it again. Between those two activation I killed the boss without ever taking a hit. It sort of feels like cheating. I'm thinking about removing the rage talsiman so I actually have to engage with the combat more. Anyone else have similar feelings?

No, in general rage mode is a win button. It's balanced out by low availability, you will not be able to do back-to-back rages most of the time.

I don't think there are any enemies that can kick you out of rage except for one optional endgame boss whose moves I don't remember that well.

quote:

2. One of my main complaints about the combat is that the camera feels too focused and zoomed when the game normally throws a lot of enemies at you. There's a lot of options in the menu to play with the camera. Is there any preferred settings to fix this issue?

No, you just have to get used to this. The game tries hard to warn you about threats behind you (when boy yells to watch out, listen) so it's your left that you have to be careful about because you can't see it as well.

quote:

3. I just realized you can upgrade combat runes. What's the deal with the light attack rune that shoots out an ice beam? It costs 4x as much to upgrade as all of my other light attack runes. I upgraded it once for 4K experience and now the second level costs 18,000, which is exponentially more than any other skill in the game so far. Why is it so disproportionate? Is this the best light attack rune in the game?

Everything is disproportionate but you still earn so much XP that none of the costs are a real obstacle. Like you guessed, it is a much longer game than it appears at first.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think its cool they included it but that anyone who sincerely used it is a fool.

I think it's more so that kids with severe disabilities that don't have many gaming options due to the type of controllers they have to use get to play a more traditional game as opposed to the usual watered-down edutainment stuff. I think the mode moves Bayonetta around for you and you just need to push one button to do attacks etc. which is cool. There's still the traditional range of difficulty modes but that's a special one that I think is pretty wholesome given who would be making use of it. The difficulty above it is still very easy (it even has regenerating health) but relies on being able to use all of the controller.

Bust Rodd posted:

I said I’d be “let down” because it would mean that FromSoftware’s artistic vision had strayed from what made me love them.

How would their artistic vision stray from what made you love them if the normal mode was designed the same way as every other game by them? Easy mode would be taking that artistic vision and thinking "Okay, we've made the game, now what can we tweak for the easy mode."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Just once I’d love for you to climb off your high horse and explain what the gently caress you’re saying instead of taking potshots at me, it’s just weird, I’m honestly shocked you haven’t put me on ignore yet, I can only assume it’s because you revel in an opportunity to point and go “Hey look everyone, Bust Rodd is posting again!”

I don’t do this because I don’t believe for a second that you are this unaware of how you come across lol. That would require a galaxy brained lack of self-awareness

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SUNKOS posted:

How would their artistic vision stray from what made you love them if the normal mode was designed the same way as every other game by them? Easy mode would be taking that artistic vision and thinking "Okay, we've made the game, now what can we tweak for the easy mode."

Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro are all designed completely around the idea that players are intended to die, repeatedly. It is one of, if not THE, central tenets of the games. A version of these games were you didn’t die repeatedly, or couldn’t die at all, would literally be at odds with the game itself. That’s the simplest way I can explain it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t do this because I don’t believe for a second that you are this unaware of how you come across lol. That would require a galaxy brained lack of self-awareness

Aren’t you the one who tried to claim being bad at video games was the same as being disabled the last time this topic came up?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bust Rodd posted:

Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro are all designed completely around the idea that players are intended to die, repeatedly. It is one of, if not THE, central tenets of the games. A version of these games were you didn’t die repeatedly, or couldn’t die at all, would literally be at odds with the game itself. That’s the simplest way I can explain it.

Yes Bust Rodd but would it affect your enjoyment if my mum could sit and smash through Dark Souls using one button.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

The Souls series and Bloodborne offer an easy-mode by allowing co-op. Sekiro is the odd one out. So do you hate the Souls games and Bloodborne or what?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

haveblue posted:

Not me personally but I've read on occasion of people wishing those weird mockups of the touchpad being a touchscreen like some kind of twisted futuristic VMU were real. Personally I like battery life being more than 3 hours!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SUNKOS posted:

The Souls series and Bloodborne offer an easy-mode by allowing co-op.

This isn't really true. Bloodborne excluded because they sort of halfassedly kept it in then put covenants back in, a significant point of the entire Souls franchise is the multiplayer interactions, from co-op, to invading, to counterinvading, leaving messages and items, miracle boosts and estus sharing, becoming the boss, etc. There's a reason Dark Souls 1 simulates every form of multiplayer (you can invade Lautrec, he can invade you, the AI buds, dev messages, red phantoms).

It's a good example too of why 'easier' isn't 'more accessible'. Co-op isn't going to get me through the Crystal Cave or the Tomb of the Giants any easier if I don't have the dexterity or ability to use a stick or keyboard. An easy mode doubling my health and damage output won't get me past the archers in Anor Londo any easier. Alternate control schemes would, though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 6, 2020

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bloodborne's on my list of games to get and play eventually, but I'll probably go for DS3 first, since hiding behind a shield is my happy place

DS3 is way closer to Bloodborne in terms of combat and pacing. You can and should play it fast and loose without a shield for maximum fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All the Souls games had variable difficulty because you had stats-based leveling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
You could just as easily argue that one of the central tenets of the Soulsborne games is the exploration of the world, as well as the discovery and study of the rich lore and history that is built into all of the carefully crafted worlds that From Software sends us to. Some of the most fascinating, secret areas in the games can be accessed without any real combat at all. Giving people the option to de-emphasize combat so that they can experience these worlds and stories is completely valid and does nothing to decrease the games' value for people who think their difficulty is the central focus.