Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's not the most versatile thing in the world but if you want a sonic bulldozer it delivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

It's not the most versatile thing in the world but if you want a sonic bulldozer it delivers.

It’s an octave-up fuzz but it actually has some down-harmonics which makes it sound like two freight trains colliding. Giving up chuggy-tight bass is a small sacrifice for creating the sound of the apocalypse. ❤️❤️❤️

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Can someone explain fuzz to me pls. There’s like a zillion types and I don’t really know what would be best for whatever sound I’m trying to get. I have a blues driver which is extremely sick and can do fun stuff at high gain but I think I want something with more low end? Very clueless about it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Can someone explain fuzz to me pls. There’s like a zillion types and I don’t really know what would be best for whatever sound I’m trying to get. I have a blues driver which is extremely sick and can do fun stuff at high gain but I think I want something with more low end? Very clueless about it

Fuzz just generally refers to a distortion that doesn't have a tight, chugging low-end. Usually. Fuzz is about a "vibe" you are trying to go for. Give me some bands/songs that have that "vibe" you're going for and I'll hone in on what you want/need like a laser-guided bomb. :)

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I’m very much on like a sonic youth and my bloody Valentine kind of kick rn

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’m very much on like a sonic youth and my bloody Valentine kind of kick rn

I gotchu, fam:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RussianBigMuff--electro-harmonix-green-russian-big-muff-pi-fuzz-pedal

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

There are a million different fuzz’s because it’s one of the more basic circuits to play with (take a signal and clip the gently caress out of it till it’s square waving) so a lot of small builders try their hands at it. It’s relatively easy to make an “interesting” sounding fuzzy mess than say, an amp sounding distortion. That simplicity also tends to produce interesting volatile accidents- the initial fuzz faces all sounded totally different from pedal to pedal because the circuit was SO basic that the minor quality variance in parts tolerances affected the sound too much.

Id disagree with Dang it Bahbi! and say that fuzz is musically quite difficult to a more refined distortion and that difference is more about what they do in the upper ranges than low- the overabundance of harmonics produced by the harsh square wave clipping make chords played through a fuzz sound like absolute poo poo* but can give a lot of thickness to single note lines.

Octave fuzzes in particular really emphasise that upper harmonic so they can make a solo scream like Hendrix, fuzz faces are ratty and mean sounding, big muffs are a wall of noise. Fuzz factory’s stutter and scream.

Also fuzzes generally need to go as the very first thing in your guitar chain to sound as designer intended as they interact with the impedance of your guitar pickup in a way you may or may not like.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 2, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You just described an HM-2. See the problem with defining fuzz? That’s why I was so vague. People call the Rat a fuzz and some call it a distortion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Fair enough the lines can be blurry at times especially in the case of the HM2, rat and even some guitar amps which can get pretty square-wavey when pressed.

There are some distinctions it’s good to know before you go fuzz shopping though like the “it goes before your tuner in the chain” thing and the way it messes up chord playing. I spent years hating fuzz and not understanding why it was making my playing sound flat instead of a powerful wall of sound before I realised it needs to be approached in a certain way to do that.

Apparently the smashing pumpkins despite being known for the big miff sound on album were reluctant to use it live much back in the day because of the way it can just turn a guitar mix into compressed scooped mush.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 2, 2019

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Anybody here ever try daisy chaining TC's digital pedals with analog pedals? I know there are horror stories about digital and analog chains being noisy depending on the type of digital pedal being chained, but most of what I see mentioned is EHX or Strymon pedals.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Death Panel Czar posted:

Anybody here ever try daisy chaining TC's digital pedals with analog pedals? I know there are horror stories about digital and analog chains being noisy depending on the type of digital pedal being chained, but most of what I see mentioned is EHX or Strymon pedals.

I've tried it, and it resulted in a constant low level whine. Switching any pedal in the chain sent a loud pop through the signal, even when the last item was a tuner muting the whole board. The hum was negligible when anyone played anything, but the second it was quiet, that high pitched hum would drone on until I switched off the amp/PA.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I ended up getting a Fuzz Factory clone because I'm a psycho and hate my neighbors

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Does anyone know what the hell the Jet City Shockwave is based on? I don't buy that it's an original circuit, but no one seems to be talking about it. It's a killer little box now that I know how to use it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It's a Rat.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Thank you! I saw in a couple places that said Rat but then others said it's not so I didn't know who to believe.

It's funny, this year I started looking for a distortion and fell in love with the sound of a Rat. Was looking for a good clone. Then I randomly played the Shockwave (I was gonna do a video) and felt like it made sense and sounded great. Good enough to go on my board even.

I wanted a Rat and I had one all along. Play your gear folks, it may surprise you. The Shockwave was the first pedal I ever bought and it only made sense recently.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Never underestimate the Rat. You simply must not do it.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Turning on my weird Russian fuzz factory clone is occasionally turning on my BD-2. Why would this possibly happen except to spite me and be loud as gently caress. It’s down chain from the BD-2 on signal and power daisy chain.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Turning on my weird Russian fuzz factory clone is occasionally turning on my BD-2. Why would this possibly happen except to spite me and be loud as gently caress. It’s down chain from the BD-2 on signal and power daisy chain.

The fuzz factory might be shunting signal to ground when you hit the switch, so when it's released the relay bypass in the blues driver thinks a jack has been freshly shoved into its input hole. If you have a multi meter, plug a lead into the fuzz factory output, set the multi meter to continuity and place it on the the tip and sleeve of the other end of the lead. Press the switch (try and hold it down for a sec) and see if you get a beep.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Okay I guess I need a multimeter now, thanks tho

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Been on a Lingua Ignota kick, have no experience making/mixing music like that (noise/doom/black metal-ish, but also operatic?). Other than grabbing a reference track and trying to emulate it (what I'm doing now), anyone have thoughts on how to go about achieving that type of sound?

Sunn 0))) would be another good example. As tempted as I am to buy the EQD pedal they teamed up on together, I feel like that’s more branding than substance (but man is it neat).

Reference track: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8pFf2lcvPw

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a question for y'all. We recently got a HBE UFO and it's loving amazing but there's no info about it online and the company has apparently closed.

Shots:
https://imgur.com/a/0nliv0n

The only other checkered one we've seen was on Kevin Shields' board. Does anyone have any info on this?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know of a ring modulator in a mini pedal format? I've found a few mini multi-modulation pedals that have ring mod functions, but they always have some weird hitches, like not being able to dial in the exact pitch I need or having a one second lag when turning the pitch knob.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a standard, analog ring modulator like a Frequency Modulator.

EDIT: Nevermind, got a great deal on a Pigtronix Ringmaster, because somehow a super frilled out ring mod was cheaper on Reverb than a new Frequency Modulator.

OutOfPrint fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 19, 2019

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Been on a Lingua Ignota kick, have no experience making/mixing music like that (noise/doom/black metal-ish, but also operatic?). Other than grabbing a reference track and trying to emulate it (what I'm doing now), anyone have thoughts on how to go about achieving that type of sound?

Sunn 0))) would be another good example. As tempted as I am to buy the EQD pedal they teamed up on together, I feel like that’s more branding than substance (but man is it neat).

Reference track: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8pFf2lcvPw

Sunn O))) run a dozen RATs into a Sunn Model T amp. The EQD pedal they made is the Tentacle Octave into a RAT into an Acapulco Gold (the AG emulates the preamp of the Model T) so hopefully they give you some starting points for sound.

Slam a preamp with lots and lots of distortion really.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Crossposting from the guitar thread:

Does anyone here use the iRig Stomp I/O? What are your thoughts about it? Is it gimmicky and easily surpassed by another option?

I've been using an old Zoom B1Xon and I really hate to tweak patches with the buttons and small screen so doing it via an ipad app sounds very attractive to me.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a recommendation for a good A/B footswitch? I'm tired of unplugging and plugging in everytime I want to swap between my amp and my computer to play guitar. These are the two I'm looking at, but am completely open to suggestions.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OCABM--one-control-minimal-series-ab-box
https://www.amazon.com/Donner-Selector-Guitar-Effect-bypass/dp/B07N3ZBHR5

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if you don't need anything fancy and you got a soldering iron you can make your own in like half an hour with about $15 bucks in parts

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if you don't need anything fancy and you got a soldering iron you can make your own in like half an hour with about $15 bucks in parts

I’m not against it but I’m really bad at soldering. Got a link to some plans/instructions?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://beavisaudio.com/projects/looperswitcher/

scroll down til you get to the a/b box

it's literally three jacks and a switch unless you want lights and poo poo then it's four more components

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

The Muppets On PCP posted:

http://beavisaudio.com/projects/looperswitcher/

scroll down til you get to the a/b box

it's literally three jacks and a switch unless you want lights and poo poo then it's four more components

Thanks, that looks simple enough. Is there a good place to get parts and an enclosure? I don’t have a spare pedal sitting around.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
mouser, digikey, jameco, small bear or even amazon in a pinch

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I drive a BBW posted:

Thanks, that looks simple enough. Is there a good place to get parts and an enclosure? I don’t have a spare pedal sitting around.

For this project the easiest place would be lovemyswitches.com.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am investigating a piezo pickup for my mando. I'll be running it either into an acoustic amp (occasionally) or more often at church where we normally plug our guitars into a box that goes straight to the sound board. My guitar runs well that way, but it has a battery, which I think means I have a preamp on board.

Do I need a preamp for either or both of these use cases? Would something like the Boss pedal be fine?

Can I do much EQ or effects adjusting on a preamp? We are very much in our own hands, the sound guy basically only knows how to turn the board on.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 6, 2020

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I don't think you should need a preamp. I did that with a ukulele (sometimes at church, sometimes amped + FX pedal'd + mic'd for a live show) and it was fine!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I don’t know if you need this one but you definitely need a preamp for your pickup:

Barcus Berry 3000A Piezo Buffer Preamp With EQ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002O0YH8/

Edit: or not!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I should clarify that I always had an EQ pedal hooked up which boosted it a fair bit.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Can I use the one spot chain thing w/ a 12v adapter to chain 12v things? Don't see why not, thinking about it, just posting in case anyone's blown anything up doing the same. One thing would be kind of a pain in the rear end to replace. Obvi gonna check polarity and stuff first.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JamesKPolk posted:

Can I use the one spot chain thing w/ a 12v adapter to chain 12v things? Don't see why not, thinking about it, just posting in case anyone's blown anything up doing the same. One thing would be kind of a pain in the rear end to replace. Obvi gonna check polarity and stuff first.

Yup. Everything on a daisy chain is the same voltage. What I wonder is what are you powering at 12v that you wouldn’t just power at 18v? Is it one of those old Boss 12v pedals???*

*wouldnt work anyways

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

A PT delay circuit thats basically a 1 unit modular synth in a weird format (really gonna make sure this is wired like I think it is... but I think it's pretty simple) and 2 midi-cv outboards that take 9-12v but not 18 apparently?

And lol I was thinking about throwing the Boss flanger I have on there too - if it is specced at 9 but runs at 12 would it also do 18? This is an aspect of pedals I don't totally understand. I had thought it was just down to what voltage regulators the DC was going in to but then why would it be better to run a higher voltage? Like wouldn't that just burn the regulators faster? So I figure I'm missing something. What's going on there?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JamesKPolk posted:

A PT delay circuit thats basically a 1 unit modular synth in a weird format (really gonna make sure this is wired like I think it is... but I think it's pretty simple) and 2 midi-cv outboards that take 9-12v but not 18 apparently?

And lol I was thinking about throwing the Boss flanger I have on there too - if it is specced at 9 but runs at 12 would it also do 18? This is an aspect of pedals I don't totally understand. I had thought it was just down to what voltage regulators the DC was going in to but then why would it be better to run a higher voltage? Like wouldn't that just burn the regulators faster? So I figure I'm missing something. What's going on there?

Ah ok I see. Most 9v pedals are usually ok up to 12v but not 18v unless specified. I thought you might be searching for some headroom in some overdrive pedals or something which many of them can handle via powering them at 18v. Most pedals don't have regulators... the PT-based circuits do and any PT-based circuits like a Belton brick reverb circuit (they all use that 5v regulator). Those don't need any extra voltage for the reason you've already said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hah by a weird coincidence those are like the only pedal schematics I've ever really dove into and I just figured everything else was the same. Lots of regulators in synth diy especially the digital side (duh) and I just assumed it was more common throughout.

Whats happening in overdrive pedals? Is it just like giving op amps more power?