Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JBP posted:

I never finished DQXI on PS4 because the "post game" which is like a full story requires a lot of grinding or using that metal slime trick which I was simply not into doing.

No it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Andrast posted:

I absolutely hated the premise of it so I don't regret stopping there.

(also the combat was wearing very thin for me)

I'm not really sure I can understand the mindset of stopping at Act 2. There's just so many unanswered questions.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I think it's dumb to roll the credits if the game is only 2/3rds over, it's also not immediately obvious that there's more to do since the game takes you back to the title screen. I loaded my save back up because I knew there was more but I can see why it gets labeled as a "post game" since it feels that way both mechanically and plot wise (from what I can tell based on what I've read).

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

my new dog posted:

just wanted to post that what helped with my right joycon not registering when completely docked to the console was blowing on it real hard. i love that thats still a thing

Clean out your joycon and switch connecting rails with alcohol and a qtip to fix this

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm not really sure I can understand the mindset of stopping at Act 2. There's just so many unanswered questions.

I did not really care about the answers to those questions either

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i think it should be considered post game because (massive spoilers follow) it involves erasing an entire timeline and ending the existence of everyone within, and that is not a decision to be taken lightly.

though, everyone is super cool about it happening i guess.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

I never finished DQXI on PS4 because the "post game" which is like a full story requires a lot of grinding or using that metal slime trick which I was simply not into doing.
Not trying to be a combative poster here or whatever but I think you're playing the game wrong somehow.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The reason "post-game" is misleading if not technically inaccurate is that post game content is usually poo poo like extra challenge levels, side-quest level poo poo, boss rush modes, etc

DQXI has literally a third of the plot and the conclusions to all the major character arcs after the credits roll.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's also not super harder than the rest of the game, as one would usually expect from a "post game". There's no difficulty spike, if you just continue through the story you don't need to grind.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1214195658137075713?s=19

Time for a 3rd straight year of "a Switch Pro is coming!" rumors. (Although this time they're probably right)

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

It's also not super harder than the rest of the game, as one would usually expect from a "post game". There's no difficulty spike, if you just continue through the story you don't need to grind.

This is good to hear, as it's counter to much of what I've been reading online. I'll give it a go since getting another 10-20 hours our of this game lets me delay buying another game that much longer.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'd like new Joycons with buttons that aren't loud as gently caress

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really hope they don't get really complicated with Switch versions and iterations and games not being compatible with older switches. It'd be the rat's nest of DS versions all over again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I really hope they take the PS4 Pro route where it’s just a power upgrade for all games, and they skip the bullshit New 3DS route.

All that does is ensure no devs make games for the “New” system because it cuts their pool of customers way down.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

cams posted:

i think it should be considered post game because (massive spoilers follow) it involves erasing an entire timeline and ending the existence of everyone within, and that is not a decision to be taken lightly.

(more massive spoilers)

Though there's a lot to hint that it actually ends in a merged timeline with folks somewhat remembering the erased one.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

hatty posted:

I'd like new Joycons with buttons that aren't loud as gently caress

I literally thought “it’s nice that these buttons are so much quieter than my Xbox One controller or even my 3DS” this weekend. So this is a rather surprising complaint to hear.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mokinokaro posted:

(more massive spoilers)

Though there's a lot to hint that it actually ends in a merged timeline with folks somewhat remembering the erased one.

More spoilers
I don't think the old timeline is erased either. because at the end you send the woman back in time to be with and save her lost love Erdwin, and this does not erase your timeline

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

cams posted:

Pretty sure it doesn't erase the existence of the timeline and everyone in it as much as it just removes the person from that point onwards in that timeline and places them whenever they wish to be in their own personal past.

Post game ends with another character doing it and it didn't read as invalidating and erasing everything you've worked towards.

Edit: Dang, goons got to these points before I finished typing it out.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

More spoilers
I don't think the old timeline is erased either. because at the end you send the woman back in time to be with and save her lost love Erdwin, and this does not erase your timeline
oh, wow. (more big dq11 spoilers) to be perfectly honest, i stopped my playthrough when all i had left to do was the final boss and never went back and finished it, so i did not see the actual ending. i just remember how much they hammer home that this means ending a reality when you start the postgame that i figured it stuck.

but even that being resolved makes sense, it's what the post game is for.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

runchild posted:

I literally thought “it’s nice that these buttons are so much quieter than my Xbox One controller or even my 3DS” this weekend. So this is a rather surprising complaint to hear.

Its probably because I play the switch more often in quieter places than near my loud PC tower and the clicky buttons annoy me. Switch lite has nice mushy quiet buttons which spoiled me during my month of owning one

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah uhhh, calling the last third of DQXI post game is fine. The actual new dungeon in it has the whole beat the boss within a time limit for a wish gimmick, which is the go to Dragon Quest post game dungeon reward. Heck, the Draconian Trials are considered done when the first credits roll.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Switch Pro will be just the regular Switch but with Bloodborne pre-loaded.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The emotional stakes of a story are way more important than hot lore facts and villain backstory and whatever else. And the emotional arc of DQXI absolutely climaxes when the credits roll. It's very obvious why they chose to separate out the rest of the game as a postcredits bonus because it really is its own bonus thing for people who haven't gotten enough of the game by then.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

John Wick of Dogs posted:

More spoilers

I think there was an interview with Horri, and he talks about this (spoilers ahoy)
All Timelines get merged, eventually. It’s not an instant thing. It’s something that kind of happens organically; that’s why it seemed at various points in Act III, certain party members would get glimpses of what happened. In Serenica’s case, she did cause a new timeline but because she went so far in the past, it will take much longer for the effects of that. It won’t cause anything too drastic either, more like an echo. An echo of an elusive age, if you will.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Would be cool if the Switch Pro was just a dock with a video card built in. Just slap your Switch into that bad boy for extreme performance.

I’ve been out of the console loop for a while. How does the Xbox X or PS4 Pro work? Is it just for 4k or something?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Social Animal posted:

Would be cool if the Switch Pro was just a dock with a video card built in. Just slap your Switch into that bad boy for extreme performance.

I’ve been out of the console loop for a while. How does the Xbox X or PS4 Pro work? Is it just for 4k or something?

Yeah the general gist is that they support 4K & HDR and they have a performance bump so some games work better on them and/or have additional performance options (i.e. choose better graphics or a more solid frame rate).

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Stardew Valley is my bae

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

RandomFerret posted:

People are acting like shypox is the only draconian quest modifier for some reason. Turning on stronger enemies and disabling exp from weaker ones is a fine way to make the game more challenging

I should be able to turn on draconian quest modifiers mid-game, drat it! :argh:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Stardew Valley is my bae

I've been playing more Graveyard Keeper lately and I like it more.

If for no other reason is that you choose when and for how long you sleep. You can play it as a nocturnal weirdo if you want.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s British paleontology at its finest.

Which is a super neat reference but kinda lame because they've given us some pretty awesome fossil/paleontological pokémon in the past. Like someone who develops the games really knows what's what when it comes to fossils.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The third act of DQ11 is not postgame. This isn't up for debate. Good day.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The post-game is this thread, and we're all losing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

American McGay posted:

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1214195658137075713?s=19

Time for a 3rd straight year of "a Switch Pro is coming!" rumors. (Although this time they're probably right)

The number one thing I want is a bezel-less screen. That giant bezel looked dated when the original model came out and it's only gotten worse since then.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

honestly I just want cool colors for the pro controller

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Smirking_Serpent posted:

honestly I just want cool colors for the pro controller

Yeah, it's a bummer, I'd love a old-school gold Zelda one. You can at least re-shell it pretty easily, it's nothing like the Joycons. You're pretty limited on the Pro, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ouhei posted:

I think it's dumb to roll the credits if the game is only 2/3rds over, it's also not immediately obvious that there's more to do since the game takes you back to the title screen. I loaded my save back up because I knew there was more but I can see why it gets labeled as a "post game" since it feels that way both mechanically and plot wise (from what I can tell based on what I've read).

Nier:Automata spoiler:

how about rolling the opening credits when the game is 2/3 over :v:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The number one thing I want is a bezel-less screen. That giant bezel looked dated when the original model came out and it's only gotten worse since then.

The bezel on the main Switch really is huge, I never thought about it until I got my Lite, which still has a decently large one but it's so much nicer looking than the one on the main Switch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by the way, did I just entirely sleep on the Astral Chain hype because I got this with some xmas OT money and I'm loving it, with my only complaint being that it's begging to be in 60fps/HD on a more powerful console

like I expected a Platinum action game, I went in blind and didn't expect all the RPG stuff and charming-rear end worldbuilding (tsundere vending machines et al)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

by the way, did I just entirely sleep on the Astral Chain hype because I got this with some xmas OT money and I'm loving it, with my only complaint being that it's begging to be in 60fps/HD on a more powerful console

like I expected a Platinum action game, I went in blind and didn't expect all the RPG stuff and charming-rear end worldbuilding (tsundere vending machines et al)

Yeah it didn't set the world on fire but it got some good buzz and a pretty big following.

I agree that it could benefit from being on hardier tech, but I also think it wasn't particularly well optimised. Given that it doesn't have mind blowing visuals and nothing too taxing is happening on screen, they definitely could've gotten more out of the Switch hardware. It's a shame because it's a fantastic game that doesn't always feel fantastic to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it released around the time when I fell off the switch in favor of the PS4 (mostly for Yakuza) a bit and was surprised at how good the reviews were. I completely wasn't expecting all the ARPG stuff, it's almost like Nier:a with a big budget looking world and actual good difficulty levels, admittedly with a charming but standard anime plot instead of being a Yoko Taro joint