Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My wrasse is still alive!!! She’s just been going to sleep before I get home apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

My wrasse is still alive!!! She’s just been going to sleep before I get home apparently.

:toot:

Pi Soup
Oct 12, 2008
I'm very slowly starting up a saltwater tank and after these last few pages I'm thinking I'm just never going to add fish to it. It's just going to be a tank full of sand and rocks with very carefully monitored chemistry.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Just fill it with cheap and easy to care for sexy shrimp.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Just fill it with cheap and easy to care for sexy shrimp.

Peppermint shrimp are very hardy in my experience and fun to watch.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Peppermint shrimp are very hardy in my experience and fun to watch.

But they're not sexy.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Get a bunch of expensive Anthias that don't even last a week in QT before dying! It worked for me!

:suicide:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

Get a bunch of expensive Anthias that don't even last a week in QT before dying! It worked for me!

:suicide:

❤️❤️❤️😔

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

my substrate bed is DEEP, my guppies are MANY, my nitrates are off the scales

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BONGHITZ posted:

Praise be the nitrogen God!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

At some point the numbers stop increasing but there are always fry....

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I really need to film my cleaner shrimp taking food from my hands. It’s adorable.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Should I chain drop in wondershells as they dissolve? Or can I overdose on whatever they are?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It depends on what you're keeping and how often/how much you waterchange as to whether you will overdose it with wondershell residue.

I overdosed the carpet with 65 litres of fishtank water today, with a little help from the internet technician who moved my dosing pump when he was loving with the router (I have no idea what he was doing, I was in the shower when he arrived and my partner just let him in). Anyway the hose became overstretched and slowly pulled off the dosing pump fitting until today it finally popped free and started siphoning on to the floor. I've got volume marked on the side of the tank so I know 65 litres escaped, it's just amazing to me how fast it happened through such a tiny tube. One of the internal pumps became exposed and started making grinding noises and that was my first clue (the second was the splashing puddles as I walked on the carpet).

Thankfully we are in a hot dry summer right now so 4 hours of vacuuming (with breaks) and fans and dry air and hopefully it will dry out and not go smelly. The very worst spill I've ever had and what makes me even more annoyed is I had a quick look in the cabinet after the guy left and I didn't see anything wrong. I should have caught it then. I also should have had a one way valve on the line and was pretty sure I did have one at some point but obviously its not there now!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I used to have some semi-complex aquariums (planted ecosystems that thrived and a short lived brackish tank that I don't like talking about) but haven't had fish in a long while. My kid recently got me a betta and now I'm back on the wagon plotting a pea puffer/snail tank. It's been a long time since I bought aquarium supplies so are there any thread approved power filters fit for a 20 gallon tank with 3 small messy fish and an untold number of snails?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

we're all just spills waiting to happen

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I used to have some semi-complex aquariums (planted ecosystems that thrived and a short lived brackish tank that I don't like talking about) but haven't had fish in a long while. My kid recently got me a betta and now I'm back on the wagon plotting a pea puffer/snail tank. It's been a long time since I bought aquarium supplies so are there any thread approved power filters fit for a 20 gallon tank with 3 small messy fish and an untold number of snails?
I like the aquaclear filters. Flow is easy to adjust, you can use a variety of media, and they last seemingly forever. Every time I thought one of mine was dead or dying, it just needed the impeller cleaned or lubed. I think I've got one running right now that's about 8 years old.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think if you can keep as much hardware out of the tank as possible, the better. So the aquaclear hang on backs are good because the media tray is big and customisable, you can add ceramic or whatever in there, and canister filters are also good for filtration volume. For sheer simplicity I like HOBs as they minimise points of failure. In 5 years I've had no HOB filters fail, not even the tiny cheap one I have. I've had canisters jam or refuse to pump due to air getting into the pipes, I've had primer buttons fail, hoses come off and drain tanks onto the carpet and so on. I guess there is a spot on a hob where the motor connects to the filter body that in theory could leak but I've never seen it happen.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

I like the aquaclear filters. Flow is easy to adjust, you can use a variety of media, and they last seemingly forever. Every time I thought one of mine was dead or dying, it just needed the impeller cleaned or lubed. I think I've got one running right now that's about 8 years old.

Cool, that looks like it will work.

I feel like I woke up from a coma after 20 years. People put sponges in their filters now? You can order fish online? WTF are canister filters? (these questions are all rhetorical and have already been answered). I've been away from the hobby for too long.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The cool new thing is to attach a smaller tank to your main tank and then call it a filter

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Merry Fishmas!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
And a splashy New Year?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I really miss my tank.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I can’t believe I never owned freshwater angelfish before. They are very inquisitive and entertaining fish. Lots of personality.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I can’t believe I never owned freshwater angelfish before. They are very inquisitive and entertaining fish. Lots of personality.

I kept them as a kid! They aren't too hard to breed either as I recall.

Only issue is they get decent sized and will eat little fish

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I don't think I've posted my tanks in a while. They both look good at the same time, which is a rarity. I've been fighting an algae outbreak on the freshwater tank but I think I finally have it under control. There's still some visible algae, but it's no longer going completely bananas.

The freshwater is a 35 gallon hex that a coworker gave me. I never thought I'd have a hex tank, but it's really grown on me.

The salt tank is a ten gallon that I've had in some incarnation for close to 15 years at this point, and I feel like I finally have it dialed in. Most of the corals in here started out as a single polyp.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Those look fantastic. I stirred my substrate up planting new plants and now I have some BBA again starting on some driftwood ugghhhhh.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I've been out of the hobby for a few years owing to financial constraints, but this Christmas I finally splurged and let myself get a new ten gallon to scratch the itch. The tank finished cycling this morning - just in time for the arrival of my new orange sakura shrimp friends. It's a few hours later and they're all jetting around the tank, exploring the nooks and crannies, and hopefully enjoying having the run of the place. I can't wait until they've settled in and start flashing their colors.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I'll drag this thread back from the dead with shrimp, so help me. :argh:

Look! He's starting to turn back to orange already!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Official Bizness posted:

I'll drag this thread back from the dead with shrimp, so help me. :argh:

Look! He's starting to turn back to orange already!

Love shrimp! I'll post some pics of mine tomorrow.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I put 10 cherry shrimp in my tank and they all died :-(

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

I'm down to one geriatric shrimp out of a 4-5 years old colony, not bad for $15.

Did you just plonk yours in or something? Dying isn't unusual, but all of 'em are.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Chunderbucket posted:

I'm down to one geriatric shrimp out of a 4-5 years old colony, not bad for $15.

Did you just plonk yours in or something? Dying isn't unusual, but all of 'em are.

I stuck them in a Tupperware container with a few holes so they'd slowly acclimate.

I also had pretty soft water at the time, it was before I started adding replenish, so the base water was RO.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

This is how my amanos died. Molted and melted.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I stuck them in a Tupperware container with a few holes so they'd slowly acclimate.

I also had pretty soft water at the time, it was before I started adding replenish, so the base water was RO.

They are hardy and adaptable but RO-soft water was probably a bridge too far. I've moved mine from tank to tank accidentally on plants and they don't seem to mind much, and my best colony at the moment is for some reason the ones that are in with kuhli loaches and rasboras. I have a couple of huge sponge filters in the back corners of the tank and I think that must be a good grazing surface for fry. It's set up so that under the base of each sponge filter is a cave for the loaches. But there is also masses of subwassertang which the loaches and shrimp both hide in.

I think I need to get some new shrimp as the original colony tank doesn't seem to produce shrimplets too much any more. Mostly that tank is a crypt factory, they grow really well even though the substrate is just sand.

I missed an elderly guppy that died in one of my guppy tanks and it has turned into a bit of a disaster so I better go deal with that mess :\

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Can y’all recommend a good heater for a 3 gallon beta tank? My father dropped of his betta because parents are going on vacation and this stubborn guy won’t listen about the tank needing a heater in the winter. The fish is actually pretty lively, but has for sure signs of fin rot.

Don’t have a budget just want something that will do the job well and not kill the fish. May have to swing 15-20 degrees to keep it at 78 since pops keeps the tank in his basement office.

I’m planning on nursing the fish back to health before giving it back to prove the heater and better care will make the fish’s life better. So I’ll probably be popping in with more questions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The best local aquarium is closing down, with the owner deciding that 20 years is enough fishy business. :(

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Can y’all recommend a good heater for a 3 gallon beta tank?

You haven't got much room in a tank that size and you also haven't got much leeway for error ie a failed heater would cook it in no time. I'd say look for a small 10w heater, you can get low profile or flat ones which might give you more space and you'll need a decent analog thermometer to check regularly to make sure the heater is doing its job. I can't tell you brand names because it's going to depend on what country you're in as to what's available. Generally I've heard around 1w per litre recommended and I think 3 gallons is a bit over 10 litres. If the tank usually is in a cold room you might need to go to 15w but that's what the thermometer is for. You want to aim for around 80F or 27C for bettas. Being warmer will help the fish's immune system work better, but if he's biting his own tail due to stress I'm not sure what you can do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You want to go higher than the per‐litre rule‐of‐thumb with such a small tank.

The square/cube law hits it hard.

Twenty‐five watts might do it. Fifty definitely will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think my advice works for my climate and I really have no idea what it's like being somewhere actually cold, so yeah, what Platystemon said :D
Whatever you decide to do, monitor it over time so you can make sure you're getting the result you want.