Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SUNKOS posted:

The Souls series and Bloodborne offer an easy-mode by allowing co-op. Sekiro is the odd one out. So do you hate the Souls games and Bloodborne or what?

That’s not even remotely what we were talking about you don’t have to move the goalposts if you disagree with me.

Montalvo posted:

You could just as easily argue that one of the central tenets of the Soulsborne games is the exploration of the world, as well as the discovery and study of the rich lore and history that is built into all of the carefully crafted worlds that From Software sends us to. Some of the most fascinating, secret areas in the games can be accessed without any real combat at all. Giving people the option to de-emphasize combat so that they can experience these worlds and stories is completely valid and does nothing to decrease the games' value for people who think their difficulty is the central focus.

This is a fair point, so I imagine if the devs agreed they’d have put a mode like this in the games themselves.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yes Bust Rodd but would it affect your enjoyment if my mum could sit and smash through Dark Souls using one button.

Your mum smashing has brought me untold joy over the years, why would it stop now?

I am not disappointed or upset by anyone playing games how they like, my SOLE umbrage is people insisting that they should be able to beat every game ever, or that every dev should cater to players of every skill. It’s an unrealistic request that reeks of... wanting people to cater to your personal desires instead of their artistic vision.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Aren’t you the one who tried to claim being bad at video games was the same as being disabled the last time this topic came up?

I don’t think so? I don’t feel that way but it drives me up the wall when people (not on SA, that I’ve seen) are like “hard games aren’t an accessibility issue because here’s a video of one specific disabled person beating dark souls!!!!” like, and all disabled people are the same, so therefore any of them can do it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The central theme of Dark Souls is don't you dare touch my loving bell

Don't you do it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The central theme of Dark Souls is don't you dare touch my loving bell

Don't you do it

imma touch it

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Bloodborne is all about being aggressive and if you're getting overwhelmed "retreat" further ahead into the level instead of backtracking or making a stand.

Yep. This is accentuated by the fact that almost all enemies have a very small aggro range and will quickly stop chasing as soon as you’re even slightly out of sight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

imma touch it

im warning u, i kept the white blacksteel katana i'm dualwielding here

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

im warning u, i kept the white blacksteel katana i'm dualwielding here

imma do it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

imma do it!

to me, my shadow dwarves

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm glad we get to see this stupid discussion again about a company who makes bad games with a bad artistic vision.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm glad we get to see this stupid discussion again about a company who makes bad games with a bad artistic vision.

I'm going to tag Beanwood in for this one

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rad Valtar posted:

Don’t worry, you can still play Knack 2, other people enjoying video games doesn’t stop the ones you like from existing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of games do difficulty levels badly, since it's hard to calibrate 5 different versions of an experience all at once. Personally I'm a fan of devs just designing one level of experience and then sticking in a bunch of little cheats to get around difficult areas if you just can't step up to the challenge but still want to see the rest of the game. Giving the player some kind of busywork to do if they want to open up the level select or get more than 3 lives or be able to skip Blighttown both presents the "correct" way the game was meant to be played, but doesn't fully gate things off to people who still want to see everything.

I like the way Dara O'Briain puts it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bust Rodd posted:

Don’t worry, you can still play Knack 2, other people enjoying video games doesn’t stop the ones you like from existing.

Actually it destroys what soul I have left.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Rad Valtar posted:

Actually it destroys what soul I have left.

Think the cause and effect is flipped here

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I beg the mods of this forum to ban any and all discussion about difficulty levels

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

other people enjoying video games doesn’t stop the ones you like from existing.

Exactly, so there's no need to get upset about people who aren't "hardcore gamers" getting to enjoy them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SUNKOS posted:

Exactly, so there's no need to get upset about people who aren't "hardcore gamers" getting to enjoy them.

Bust Rodd posted:

I am not disappointed or upset by anyone playing games how they like, my SOLE umbrage is people insisting that they should be able to beat every game ever, or that every dev should cater to players of every skill.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Okay, replace the word 'upset' with 'offended'.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
There aint gonna be an easy mode in bloodborne 2, dark souls 4, demon souls rekindled edition or elden ring. They dont care, they dont care that you care and this discussion is always, always a merry go round of the same poo poo and FROM dont read your posts. Sorry.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The real tragedy is that there ain't gonna be a Bloodborne 2 :(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SlothfulCobra posted:

A lot of games do difficulty levels badly, since it's hard to calibrate 5 different versions of an experience all at once. Personally I'm a fan of devs just designing one level of experience and then sticking in a bunch of little cheats to get around difficult areas if you just can't step up to the challenge but still want to see the rest of the game. Giving the player some kind of busywork to do if they want to open up the level select or get more than 3 lives or be able to skip Blighttown both presents the "correct" way the game was meant to be played, but doesn't fully gate things off to people who still want to see everything.

I like the way Dara O'Briain puts it.

having a bunch of difficulty sliders for different gameplay elements a la System Shock seems cool, but I've always hated games that make the player act as game designer and balancer. It can be done well but often I get the feeling that "if they don't like it, they can turn it off" gets used as a crutch by designers.

(there's also something like Nier:A where there was nothing between Normal (you have to stand still for like two minutes to die) and Hard (you die in like two hits), or MGS5 which was way too easy and had no way to make it challenging without self-imposed challenges.) Not to mention games like Yakuza where if it turns out that you picked a difficulty level that was too easy to be challenging, you had no recourse but to restart the game.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 6, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

SUNKOS posted:

The real tragedy is that there ain't gonna be a Bloodborne 2 :(

Your gonna be surprised and confused in feb.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vikar Jerome posted:

There aint gonna be a bloodborne 2, dark souls 4, demon souls rekindled edition

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order originally only had the one difficulty, and you can tell by playing on anything other than that difficulty (Jedi Master) that the game is pretty much only balanced around that.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Finished Death Stranding.

I really liked it, but it's certainly not for everyone. I have to recommend it if only because I'm not sure we'll see such a high-budget, high-profile game go so off-piste as to what a AAA game can be for a long time. It's amazing this thing got made.

Yes the game-play is largely about delivering packages and traversing the terrain, but it's weirdly captivating in a way I can't quite put into words. I can best describe it as a post-apocalyptic hiking simulator, but there are also [spoiler]boss fights, and combat-only sections [spoiler].

The experience was certainly improved by the online aspect and using structures & vehicles that others had placed was a big help, I very much think this is by design as Kojima has alluded to when showing off the game.

I felt it could have been shorter, I did almost no side-missions and it took nearly 50hrs to finish, it could have been 10-20 shorter.

Mads & Troy were great.

Some of the various trailers that came out for Death Stranding are actually from cut-scenes surprisingly deep into the game so are kinda quite spoilery, if you've managed to avoid watching most of them and intend to play this, don't watch any more.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
People who play on easy mode don't care about balance.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If Astral Chain on the Switch is any indication, Platinum have definitely improved since Nier:A on difficulty levels- PT Standard is good for me (including letter grades to show how much you suck), there's two levels of Casual including an auto-combat one, and a PT Ultimate difficulty I haven't tried yet.

Like Nier:A, Astral Chain is very much an action-RPG rather than a pure action game so it's definitely a case where catering to RPG players who don't want to do balls-hard character action combat makes a lot of sense.

Rad Valtar posted:

People who play on easy mode don't care about balance.

this is more contemptuous of people who don't like hard games than any of the FROMsoft fan posts lol

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Vikar Jerome posted:

Your gonna be surprised and confused in feb.

I'll be overjoyed if Miyazaki was lying this entire time.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order originally only had the one difficulty, and you can tell by playing on anything other than that difficulty (Jedi Master) that the game is pretty much only balanced around that.

I beat fallen order on story mode because the combat sucked poo poo on anything else, if it was balanced for Jedi master, they did a terrible job

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
why did i buy Days Gone when DMC5 was right there all along??

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just want a new Armored Core

Preferably one that's good this time

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Clavavisage posted:

why did i buy Days Gone when DMC5 was right there all along??

I’m on the fence about DMC5 because I’ve never played one before so I don’t have experience with the series. It looks cool but I’m scared.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Feels Villeneuve posted:

If Astral Chain on the Switch is any indication, Platinum have definitely improved since Nier:A on difficulty levels- PT Standard is good for me (including letter grades to show how much you suck), there's two levels of Casual including an auto-combat one, and a PT Ultimate difficulty I haven't tried yet.

Like Nier:A, Astral Chain is very much an action-RPG rather than a pure action game so it's definitely a case where catering to RPG players who don't want to do balls-hard character action combat makes a lot of sense.

I pretty much ignored that game for some reason around launch but I keep seeing and hearing stuff about it that sounds really fun.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I pretty much ignored that game for some reason around launch but I keep seeing and hearing stuff about it that sounds really fun.

I love it but it's begging to be a non exclusive so it can be in hd/60fps

it's like if Nier:A had a big-budget looking world and actual good difficulty levels, admittedly with a standard but charming anime plot instead of Yoko Taro

e) also if it had tsundere vending machines
https://m.twitch.tv/maestronox/clip/ShinyJollyArugulaKAPOW?tt_medium=twtr&desktop-redirect=true

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 6, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

SUNKOS posted:

I'll be overjoyed if Miyazaki was lying this entire time.

Hows a japan studio, non-from, bloodborne 2 ps5 launch title sound. Because miyazaki wasnt lying.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd take like Bloodborne 1: Re-infused Edition at 4K/60FPS and I dunno they put some of the cut content back in and let you open up that door behind the Cleric Beast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vikar Jerome posted:

Hows a japan studio, non-from, bloodborne 2 ps5 launch title sound. Because miyazaki wasnt lying.

Keiji Inafune's Bloodborne Number Two

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm not an elite super gamer and dont have time and patience to force myself through brick walls and so I usually turn the difficulty down the moment I get in a spot of trouble, that being said if there was an easy mode I dark souls or whatever I dont think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much as I did

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also I just started playing Days Gone and it seems like the most offensively bland and generic thing imaginable also the controls feel really bad and floaty. Crafting wheel? Ugh. It's boring and feels bad to play.

Does this game get any better? Cuz after playing for 1 hour I'm already thinking of bining it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Does this game get any better? Cuz after playing for 1 hour I'm already thinking of bining it

I was playing in spurts and im not sure how deep I am but i dont think it gets good, i cant imagine there is a twist big enough to make it interesting.
But im bias of it because the game is based around a lot of elements that i just dont care for and i am making deeks die alot because gently caress that guy.