Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Relayer posted:

Sometimes no, but sometimes yes. That's why it's a good pace to play at. And there are lots of things to do to strengthen your character, like on a whim I decided to go camp the mob in befallen for the paw of opolla quest, fully expecting not to get it. I got there and there was a cleric camping it who had been there ten hours. He just happened to get it almost immediately after I got there, and then I took the camp over and got it literally on the 3rd spawn. Total time investment was about 50 minutes. But if you don't play you'll never fall rear end backward into such satisfying outcomes like that.

It can also be frustrating as hell to camp a spawn for a key or epic quest and consistently come up with nothing. I remember spending hours upon hours camping a skeleton in Dreadlands for a druid epic drop or trying to get those medallions from the frogs in Emerald Jungle. Those types of timesinks are just too much for me anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Givin posted:

I wish World of Warcraft was really Warhammer Online every day except they had three factions instead of two.

God could you imagine if Warhammer online was the order races vs chaos, dark elves, and beastmen and the green skins were just a third faction who was fighting whoever was the most powerful at the time? (including other greenskins should they be the most powerful)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Warhammer Online was better than most of these but I was bummed I couldn't be the true good race - the Lizardmen.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Cithen posted:

It can also be frustrating as hell to camp a spawn for a key or epic quest and consistently come up with nothing. I remember spending hours upon hours camping a skeleton in Dreadlands for a druid epic drop or trying to get those medallions from the frogs in Emerald Jungle. Those types of timesinks are just too much for me anymore.

Well of course but that's kind of my point, I'd rather play a game with potential extreme satisfaction and also potential extreme frustration than a game where it's just kinda meh I guess I beat the game whatever. Which isn't to say there aren't aspects of EQ1 that were poorly designed, but the general concept I think has much more merit than "it's only good cause nostalgia", even if only by accident. I don't think brad mcquaid quite had a "vision" so much as he accidentally made something great

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Relayer posted:

Well of course but that's kind of my point, I'd rather play a game with potential extreme satisfaction and also potential extreme frustration than a game where it's just kinda meh I guess I beat the game whatever. Which isn't to say there aren't aspects of EQ1 that were poorly designed, but the general concept I think has much more merit than "it's only good cause nostalgia", even if only by accident. I don't think brad mcquaid quite had a "vision" so much as he accidentally made something great

Excuse me, the only way to make a video game is to make the broadest audience of people only marginally satisfied. Polarizing design decisions are strictly forbidden.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxLBw997uOI

Another bi-weekly dose of weasel words.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is that the official pantheon channel?

Not a single mention of Brad's passing. No leadership changes. It looks like Brad's absence hasn't affected them. Might be a good sign?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Or an indication that things have progressed so fuckin little that the lead guy dying isn't a setback, because there's nothing to set back.

I know which one I think it is!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Is that the official pantheon channel?

Not a single mention of Brad's passing. No leadership changes. It looks like Brad's absence hasn't affected them. Might be a good sign?

They addressed Brad’s death a couple months back. They’ve done bi-weekly dev round tables and a couple of dev streams since then.

It’s just nothing worth posting because it’s the same thing over and over without any signs of actual progress.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I mean, I went to the site looking for release dates and it still says poo poo like "as oF whatever month, 2018 we plan on XYZ." Not inspiring faith lads

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

joshtothemaxx posted:

I mean, I went to the site looking for release dates and it still says poo poo like "as oF whatever month, 2018 we plan on XYZ." Not inspiring faith lads

I'm starting to think this video game was all an elaborate money-making ruse!

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Looks like they're finally showing that thing they've been talking about for a year on Feb 18th.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

It's gonna be concept art.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

retpocileh posted:

It's gonna be concept art.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is literally all it is. Even if they do show actual content here, it would literally be only the 2nd zone they have ever shown off, and not a single zone in the game yet is even close to complete.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/AidmaroTV/status/1227341992927154176?s=20

lol

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I hope Feb 18 is when they unveil an EQ private server with Pantheon names for stuff

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

blatman posted:

I hope Feb 18 is when they unveil an EQ private server with Pantheon names for stuff

Behold, the castle of Felwi...Aradune!

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Ehud posted:

Behold, the castle of Felwi...Aradune!

I'm hearing this in Aqua Teen Hunger Force voices.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

"I gave thousands of dollars to this game and let me tell you how kuh-RAY-zee it would be to expect anything within the next decade from this crack team of expert developers."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

very important reminder: Cohh is streaming something called, "The Making of Faerthale" with the devs today.

Tune in at 3pm eastern for the devs to show off some drawings they did of an orc!!

https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

very important reminder: Cohh is streaming something called, "The Making of Faerthale" with the devs today.

Tune in at 3pm eastern for the devs to show off some drawings they did of an orc!!

https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

lol I clicked this at 3:54 EST and it's just a guy with a poleaxe in a big untextured area with a bat that looks identical to enemies from EQ2 floating around

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Frog Act posted:

lol I clicked this at 3:54 EST and it's just a guy with a poleaxe in a big untextured area with a bat that looks identical to enemies from EQ2 floating around

They actually showed some cool stuff today before that part!

Here is the VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/554093457

They walk around some more finished looking area in Faerthale, talk about designing a big tree NPC, then they go to a raid zone and show the acclimation system and some environmental hazards.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

They actually showed some cool stuff today before that part!

Here is the VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/554093457

They walk around some more finished looking area in Faerthale, talk about designing a big tree NPC, then they go to a raid zone and show the acclimation system and some environmental hazards.

clicked through this some and as derisive as I feel about most elements of the game the equipment aesthetic and well-rendered-but-generic forest zone really gets my hams wet. i just want to relive EQ2, really, and it seems like that's all they've managed to accomplish so who knows maybe this will come out in a decade or so

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Third person gently caress off.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Third person gently caress off.

They have first person, but they said they’re tweaking it. Cohh went first person and it currently works. It’s just awkward at the moment.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Youtube link of the stream if anyone wants it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_udroswXc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ehud posted:

They have first person, but they said they’re tweaking it. Cohh went first person and it currently works. It’s just awkward at the moment.

Shoulda been the primary focus. Though I do appreciate them doing absolutely everything wrong.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Do people still play MMOs in first person?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
When did anyone play an MMO in first person without being forced to?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Schubalts posted:

When did anyone play an MMO in first person without being forced to?

EQ

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

1st person eq is haram

fact- you cannot see your ogre scratch their butthole in fps mode

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Percelus posted:

1st person eq is haram

fact- you cannot see your ogre scratch their butthole in fps mode

EQ didn't get the WoW-like camera until somewhere between 2002-2006.

Playing third person was really hard when the camera tracked oddly like an early N64 game when they weren't really sure how to deal with cameras and gave them their own button.

it was definitely a must to slap F9 until you got an optimal butt scratching viewport when standing around trading though.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

cmdrk posted:

EQ didn't get the WoW-like camera until somewhere between 2002-2006.

Playing third person was really hard when the camera tracked oddly like an early N64 game when they weren't really sure how to deal with cameras and gave them their own button.

it was definitely a must to slap F9 until you got an optimal butt scratching viewport when standing around trading though.

i started playing eq in 99 and was one of the people that got hosed with a super late ruins of kunark boxed delivery and i stand by my original post

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Was that stream really it? Haven't they been talking about this Faerthale thing for like a year?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
fartinhale :lol:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Only time I used 3rd person in EQ was when I was swarm kiting on my Bard

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah the canon way to play EQ is first person hence my original whine.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sachant posted:

Was that stream really it? Haven't they been talking about this Faerthale thing for like a year?

I stand by my theory that they've gone all in on Faerthale as a proof of concept (with all planned mechanics implemented) to sell investors and backers on the game. They don't have enough resources to build a full MMO.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm curious how much money they got. Garriot got enough with Shroud of the Avatar to make an EQ (in today's dollars it cost around 4.7 million to develop) but just pocketed the money judging by how that game turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Maybe Brad had a life insurance policy that listed Visionary Realms as the sole beneficiary.