Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Did someone say procedural birds yet? Also, shart shitizen.

E: taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Seraph84

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
MoMA

He masterfully straddled the line by playing off that breezy arrogance, giving CIG the "benefit of the doubt" and trying to make it appear like that was the more sophisticated and mature approach, despite CIG being headed by a career fraud clearly and transparently repeating his Greatest Huckster Hits note-for-note. Yet, under the surface, only occasionally to rise, was that simmering anger and doubt.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 6, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CubicalSucrose posted:

Thanks, I wasn't going out to look for a screenshot before they delta-patched the movie but that was the pic I would look for.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Sandi getting called out for dropping donuts on table in front of overweight coworkers trying to lose weight, subsequent appearance on program staring directly and challengingly into camera while eating tim-tams.

Don't forget the Jackie-O sized sunglasses, stumbling in late, then leaving early.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Derek SMART!

and space court.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sandi stupid fake gang tattoos that she wore for weeks because she is an actress.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

Sandi getting called out for dropping donuts on table in front of overweight coworkers trying to lose weight, subsequent appearance on program staring directly and challengingly into camera while eating tim-tams.

It wasn't just donuts. She made it a thing she did all the time on air.

The funniest thing I can remember is waaaaaay back on wingman's hanger they were talking about awards that some of the programmers had earned in the industry, the Sandi had to come on an episode later and show off some plaque she had made that said "Best marketer ever" that was engraved on particle board.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 6, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

The funniest thing I can remember is waaaaaay back on wingman's hanger they were talking about awards that some of the programmers had earned in the industry, the Sandi had to come on an episode later and show off some plaque she had made that said "Best marketer ever" that was engraved on particle board.

Imagine being so bad that a quarter billion dollars of effort still can't crowbar your talentless rear end into Hollywood. Sandi has always been the canary for CIG and she flew off a while back. I'd love to say 2020 will be a good year, but I think every year from now on is gonna be 2019 forever. Star Citizen is the new Scientology.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Remember when Chris's family got doxxed by his IMDB page?

(this is a joke, they weren't really doxxed. SC defenders were claiming that they were doxxed because someone linked their IMDB pages somewhere)

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Scruffpuff posted:

It's important to remember, and we tend to forget this in this thread, but CIG is not a business - they're a charity. And it's impossible to know how long a charity can stay afloat.

That's clarifying for the nature of their operation, I think I'll refer to CIG henceforth as a charity receiving donations to work on digital media. "Work on", not "produce".

Just last week I was on my yearly trip with old mates and one said "You haven't talked about your favourite thing yet." He meant Star Citizen, that I have been mentioning to them for literal years by now. Partly as a warning for if any of their games playing kids started about it, which thankfully they haven't. And partly to tell funny stuff. My main point this time was that they just had their biggest income month yet, in year 8 of development.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

spacetoaster posted:

That was a gift from a backer. He’d sent plaques for most of the faces on Wingman’s show.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Not really a CIG screw up but more like a byproduct.

The Leonard Skinley affair.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

:lol: this is loving unreal...

Only CIG would pre-sell a JPEG of socks with broken code on it for networking issues that were solved in other games 20 years ago.

i dunno but selling these socks is a total disgrace.
i work in it/tech support for pos terminals and online transactions. global company with hundredthousands of clients. i had a horrible day and will probably have a horrible year, because we are in so much trouble with our clients (because we often outright suck and cant get things right, often issues would not be solved for months and then with a loving workaround or bandaid fix, which everyone forgets a month later till the next giant fuckup)

i often think: how can we suck so hard and fail so miserably? why do we make the same mistakes over and over and over again? we get a lot of flak from our customers each and every day. and here comes ci selling socks to their customers instead of delivering what was promised.

but i digress...

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

e: I had to put down my cat last friday, so take this FF cat taxxe:

Condolences dude, that sucks :(

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

G0RF posted:

That was a gift from a backer. He’d sent plaques for most of the faces on Wingman’s show.

Ah, ok.

Gifts from backers is almost enough content for it's own thread.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bumble He posted:

i dunno but selling these socks is a total disgrace.
i work in it/tech support for pos terminals and online transactions. global company with hundredthousands of clients. i had a horrible day and will probably have a horrible year, because we are in so much trouble with our clients (because we often outright suck and cant get things right, often issues would not be solved for months and then with a loving workaround or bandaid fix, which everyone forgets a month later till the next giant fuckup)

i often think: how can we suck so hard and fail so miserably? why do we make the same mistakes over and over and over again? we get a lot of flak from our customers each and every day. and here comes ci selling socks to their customers instead of delivering what was promised.

but i digress...

Not just socks, but joke socks based on a pun based on a lie resulting from their epic incompetence and borderline fraud. This couldn't be in any poorer taste if they had Chris Roberts face on each sock saying "I hosed your wife."

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

his nibs posted:

Condolences dude, that sucks :(

It sucks and hurts like hell, but was okay. She turned mostly blind overnight, like from one day to the other she could barely see and mostly moved by whiskers and brightness/darkness.Of course this was right before christmas eve, when all the vets are on holiday. She still demanded her food (and ate it, allthough a bit more messy). I skipped new years eve to care about here, because getting blinded and then getting blasted away with the absolute bullshit our country and people do at new years eve I thought would have scared here to death. She was surprisingly calm that night, and snuggled a lot while the rest of the city tried to one-up each other with the biggest bomb they could find.

Three days later - for the very first time in her life - she was't there in the morning to get some food with my other cat. Found her sitting in a corner of a room, without motion, just slow breathing. No sound, no whip of the tail. When I touched her, she did everything she could to walk away into the next corner she could find by her whiskers.

Luckily that day the Vet was open again, and after some quick tests, it was pretty clear that her kidneys have given up, and we put her to rest. Of course I cried like the big baby that I am, but she had 13 good years, and (as far as I can tell) only one really bad day.

Overall I'm kinda glad it went that fast, because I cried a lot giving food to a blind cat, that cries because it doesn't understand why it suddenly can no longer see.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what i ment to say with my socks-rant is, that ci are in trouble and way behind schedule. in this situation would it not be totally important to allocate resources and focus on what is important now?

you know set some priorities and work towards them, drop all the useless stuff.
but now a person needs to design/order/sell and ship these ridiculous socks!

some companies main business is to sell socks and ci are doing it by the side because they certainly think selling socks is the simplest thing on earth. it is not!!

Scruffpuff posted:

Not just socks, but joke socks based on a pun based on a lie resulting from their epic incompetence and borderline fraud. This couldn't be in any poorer taste if they had Chris Roberts face on each sock saying "I hosed your wife."

and the above is also very true

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 6, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bumble He posted:

what i ment to say with my socks-rant is, that ci are in trouble and way behind schedule. in this situation would it not be totally important to allocate resources and focus on what is important now?

you know set some priorities and work towards them, drop all the useless stuff.
but now a person needs to design/order/sell and ship these ridiculous socks!

some companies main business is to sell socks and ci are doing it by the side because they certainly think selling socks is the simplest thing on earth. it is not!!

No, you see, when you are behind schedule, you develop a battlefield clone, plus socks.

Unless you don't understand game development

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

spacetoaster posted:

Ah, ok.

Gifts from backers is almost enough content for it's own thread.

Just imagine the gifts we DON’T know about.

That old Wingman clip is funny though. If memory serves Sandi is showing off her plaque, and then Wingman says “and I got a plaque!” and Michael Morlan pulls out a plaque, Rob, etc. and it pretty much drains the specialness right out of it all. And then you realize some dude actually paid a trophy shop for a half dozen pointless plaques for employees, most of whom would be gone in less than 2 years.

I’m surprised CIG hasn’t deleted a lot of that old stuff. None of it is relevant and a lot of it damning in hindsight. They probably thought it was harmless. Though I doubt they feel that way now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

G0RF posted:

Just imagine the gifts we DON’T know about.

Sheesh yeah. A lot of the big orgs would take up donations from members (some orgs had hundreds of members, a few had thousands) to buy crazy expensive stuff for Chris and Sandi.

A few things I can remember are LOTS of expensive alcohol and having pricey food delivered. Also cigars and custom toys.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tuo posted:

No, you see, when you are behind schedule, you develop a battlefield clone, plus socks.

Unless you don't understand game development

Speaking of Battlefield, my kids have just got Star Wars Battlefield 2. Since its initially contoversy it seems like EA have shaped up and released most of the stuff as free or earnable just by playing without a problem.

Let's see, its got FPS combat.
Its set in space.
It has space combat.
It has aliens.
It seems pretty bug free.
Looks fun and action packed.
P2W and Pay for cosmetics is largely gone.
Epic battles.
Packed full of fidelity.

Rather tempted to get it myself, and i swore off buying EA products years ago.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 6, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Agony Aunt posted:

Speaking of Battlefield, my kids have just got Star Wars Battlefield 2. Since its initially contoversy it seems like EA have shaped up and released most of the stuff as free or earnable just by playing without a problem.

Let's see, its got FPS combat.
Its set in space.
It has space combat.
It has aliens.
It seems pretty bug free.
Looks fun and action packed.
P2W and Pay for cosmetics is largely gone.
Epic battles.
Packed full of fidelity.

Rather tempted to get it myself, and i swore off buying EA products years ago.

I would say EA is at the forefront of either figuring out that predatory practices are hurting them in the long run, or pretending to figure out that predatory practices are hurting them in the long run. Either way, the Battlefront changes are dramatic, especially if you can get someone who played the original incarnation to compare to what the game is now. There's almost no comparison. They also recently released a single-player title, without online services bullshit or microtransactions even baked into the game, just built from the ground up as a single-player experience, to mostly positive reviews and made a good chunk of change. And no need to build and maintain a backend infrastructure, which is its own cost.

To reiterate, this could all be playacting the "listening to gamers" angle, but pity sex is still sex.

The other end of things is Ubisoft, which basically took every page from the original disastrous Battlefront release and turned them up to 11; the result was Breakpoint, and the failure hit them so hard their financial projections were pushed back a full year. They're still stunned from the blow and have been largely dead in the water since.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 6, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's pretty funny how Ubisoft spent 3 years building up good will with really great games that were insanely full of content and then blew it all because of a loving Tom Clancy game

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The Division 2 is also barely threading water, it needs a survival mode or something similar badly. The new Viking rear end Creed might be neat tho.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

precision posted:

It's pretty funny how Ubisoft spent 3 years building up good will with really great games that were insanely full of content and then blew it all because of a loving Tom Clancy game

And which, itself, was a direct sequel for a very successful and popular game from which they excised every good thing, then crammed in sideways all the worst traits of unrelated game genres. They already had a working formula. It's like someone was paid to sabotage the company. Only CIG could have done a worse job.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sandweed posted:

The Division 2 is also barely threading water, it needs a survival mode or something similar badly. The new Viking rear end Creed might be neat tho.

AC and Watch Dogs Legion are gonna be great and do well, but who knows if it will fix their big fuckup

Division 2 was kind of fun for a while, until I learned it's one of those "the real game doesn't begin until you hit max level" games. I hate that poo poo. If the game starts at level 70 then so should I. At least Diablo 3 gives you tons of options and loot on your way to endgame. Division 2 pre endgame is really boring.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Sheesh yeah. A lot of the big orgs would take up donations from members (some orgs had hundreds of members, a few had thousands) to buy crazy expensive stuff for Chris and Sandi.

A few things I can remember are LOTS of expensive alcohol and having pricey food delivered. Also cigars and custom toys.

And then one day Chris complains about the lack of gifts now being sent.

What a AAA oval office.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Ghostlight posted:

squadron forty two
so undeveloped it's true
crytek can not sue

judge gee must agree
this is good for star citzen
haiku makes it true

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Chris said to the team, build me a boat
Don't have to be ingame, don't have to float
Team said "Chris, you can't put a price tag on-"
Chris said "Shhh just watch me, son!"
Backers said "Woah!"
Journos said "No!"
Chris said "Look here, I want you!"

And they were all flying out on Squadron 42

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
- to the tune of Highway 61 Revisited, I dunno lol

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CubicalSucrose posted:

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2020/0...-a2Fy3PbaGCO3WU

Reminds me of the time me and some friends though it would be a good idea to do LSD and watch Naked Lunch.

Some films are just designed to screw with your head on drugs.

Now Dune on LSD, that was fricking fantastic. I mean, a story about people taking drugs to see into the future and navigate through space. Perfect.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Re. CIG fuckups

Mark Abent ("Bugsma-a-a-a-aa-a-sher-r-rr-r-s!!!!") unwittingly displaying lines of CryEngine code after the supposed Lumberyard engine fork, while debugging yet another stupid Star Citizen bug.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Agony Aunt posted:

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2020/0...-a2Fy3PbaGCO3WU

Reminds me of the time me and some friends though it would be a good idea to do LSD and watch Naked Lunch.

Some films are just designed to screw with your head on drugs.

Now Dune on LSD, that was fricking fantastic. I mean, a story about people taking drugs to see into the future and navigate through space. Perfect.

Yuck. Watching any film on acid is pretty much tantamount to spiralling down into your own private hell.

Sonic Youth live at the ULU, Friday, May 23rd, 1986, however - that's a whole different thing.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

tuo posted:

It sucks...

Yeah, I lost a cat to kidney issues and it was heartbreaking. Sorry. Sounds like you gave her a good life though and it ended painlessly... we should all be so lucky!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Yuck. Watching any film on acid is pretty much tantamount to spiralling down into your own private hell.

Disagree! When Star Wars was re-released into theaters in, what, 98? Bunch of friends and I went and saw it at midnight tripping balls and it was amazing. I could fully understand R2D2, realized that R2 and C3P0 are literally Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, totally got all the subtext that the movie is lowkey a sequel to American Graffiti and that the "rebels vs empires" message was just "hippies vs squares", it was awesome

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

spacetoaster posted:

looks like attempted murder

tuo posted:

btw, is there a complete list of all of CIGs fuckups? Should we create one?

- Chris falling asleep during a Citcon interview
- Sandi going crazy during an RTV because the camera angle showed her in her office

I am quite sure I forgot about 98%....

e: I miss the days when they hosed up on a weekly basis

I need sources for these

oh yea add to the list the short-lived segment, "Ben tours the CIG office". He almost had a heart attack just going up the stairs...

NoMas fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 7, 2020

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Sonic Youth live at the ULU, Friday, May 23rd, 1986, however - that's a whole different thing.

I watched both Titanic and Spice World back to back at the movies on LSD and had a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kosumo posted:

I watched both Titanic and Spice World back to back at the movies on LSD and had a great time.

That sounds amazing lol

Earlier this year a Co worker gave me some acid to try because they'd never done it before and I ended up taking it while snowed in, spent part of the trip watching Inside Llewyn Davis and I'm Not There

Shocker, folk music sounds good on acid

Edit: and one of the first times I ever tripped, a friend and I went to see Natural Born Killers and had a fantastic time

In retrospect I've watched movies while tripping about 10 times. Waking Life is one my ex wife and I tripped to and that is a good time