Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Eizouken;
How to show your character falling in love with animation broke:having them watch a conveniently offscreen anime woke: literally recreating Future Boy Conan within your show

Page Sniper Pose

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
first ep of eizouken was really fun

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Eizouken thread made
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909300

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The meta thing Eizouken does where it encourages you to think about how it itself was made is extremely good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The imagination sequence in Eizouken absolutely blew me away. I especially love the VA sound effects

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

an actual dog posted:

The meta thing Eizouken does where it encourages you to think about how it itself was made is extremely good.

Yea I like that a lot...easy to think of how a weaker show would just make the hokiest fourth-wall jokes instead.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eizouken, Asteroid and Magia record is already making this season way better than last in the non kids shows categories 6

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Eizouken, Asteroid and Magia record is already making this season way better than last in the non kids shows categories 6
add somali to that list because that is nooooot a kid's series if they stay accurate to the manga

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread:toot:

quote:

:siren:Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! (Hands off the Motion Pictures Club!)
Science Saru | Masaaki Yuasa | Masaaki Yuasa | Adventure, Comedy, School, Seinen | Manga | Jan 6, 2020
Asakusa Midori wants to create an anime, but she's too disheartened to make that first step by herself. By pure chance, she meets Mizusaki Tsubame, an up-and-coming socialite secretly dreaming of becoming an animator. Together with Midori's money-loving best friend Kanamori Sayaka, the energetic trio slowly work towards making their "ultimate world" a reality!
PV
Thread

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Some first impressions

Somali: Not bad, some lovely art, but first episode was mostly just setting up the world and the characters, not much in terms of actual plot yet. Cautiously interested.

Id Invaded: Some really cool stylish shots in the first half of the first episode, brought down somewhat by an exposition-heavy second half. Definitely watching episode two.

Eizouken: Rules. Anime of the season. Don't sleep on this nerds.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Midori's voicework in Eizouken is interesting. She's voiced by a female VA, but one doing a 'young boy' voice you'd see from a stereotypical shonen protagonist. I wonder if it's another intentional bit of playing with your assumptions about anime that the show is doing?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its probably a reference to future boy conan, in which conan, voiced by a woman, also had a young boy voice

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I stumbled on to the Eizouken OP completely randomly this morning and I immediately want to watch it so I guess I'm resubbing to Crunchy.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, some quick thoughs regarding Darwin's Game Ep. 1 (+2?). Overall... it's alright but I'm not terribly happy with parts of the adaptation. Not because it's "changed", but because the changes in the first part are basically large sins of storytelling in general - namely, pointless repetition and additions that add nothing.

The repetition part has to do with the killer. In the manga, he's literally just a pathetic loser of man - in debt due to obsession with host clubs, and killing in order to make money to continue doing so. When he realizes he's lost and his points hit 0, he's crying about how he doesn't want to die. Like, even his pseudonym "Rookie Killer" points to this - he's terrified to get involved in the higher levels and just kills new players unfamiliar with the system because it's easy to continue funding his habits that way rather than actually advancing in the system. Here, he's just a horror movie slasher villain up to and including psychotic speech as he's going out. This wouldn't be an adaptation problem per-se... except we're ALREADY getting a psychopathic lunatic as another major antagonist in the very near future (no prizes for guessing whom). Not making every major antagonist/obstacle cut from the same cloth is a pretty basic storytelling point.

The additions that add nothing has to do with the friend with the crossbow - Kyouya. Originally he IS the one killed in the first few pages, and there is no third friend. Moreover, he adds literally nothing by his addition, and in fact has caused at least some negativity because "yet another dumb MC for ignoring his friend's huge warning." Seriously, what does he actually do: 1. Warns Kaname about the game - Kaname ignores him; 2. Shoots killer with the crossbow (repeatedly, once again going for that horror movie slasher villain thing) - accomplished by the cop not being entirely dead after the first stab and shooting him in the leg (once); 3. Dies alone in a corner so as to maintain the status quo so we can get a "survive" text that adds nothing - yay?

Other changes - and some complaints they've engendered - I think are fine. Like, one I've seen repeated often is "yeah, dumb series, we're just supposed to believe these cases(particularly that one in Shibuya) are going completely ignored by the authorities?" Spoilers - they're not. One cut I think was reasonable for time was cutting scenes out several detectives actively investigating the first killing and trying to figure out what the hell happened - it's good for worldbuilding, but in the scheme of what needs to be accomplished in setting things up it's not too important. It WILL come up, probably in the next episode, since there are several figures who are rather important to the series on that side, but wasn't necessary for the first part.

For the second part I'm conflicted. I'm fine with most of the episode, but very not fine with how it was ended - however, I know WHY it was done. Yes, that scene does basically happen, but the line's from a later portion of that chapter (where it's not as trashy) and context comes immediately thereafter (unsurprisingly, she's talking about an in-game clan). Basically, in my view it was a horrible place to end the episode because that's what you're leaving the viewer to stew on for at least a week, instead of like 10 seconds. Plenty of people are turned off ("yeah, it's just the kind of trash I expected" - despite fanservice really not being terribly prevalent in the series) and I really don't think there are many people going "wooo, that last scene is the deciding factor in me deciding to watch it" but this kind of crap has seem to have become expected for shows like this. It also inclines people to look at the majority girls in the OP and going "so this is a harem series, right?" when it's not. AT ALL (there is absolute zero attraction from either of the other two girls shown there).

Like, the manga is hardly some masterpiece, but while a somewhat okay adaption there were definitely some huge issues that turned off people who might at least have been willing to check out a bit more before deciding. I'll at least see how it goes moving forward, but eh.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

That final scene had me considering dropping Darwin's Game but after reading your post I guess I'll give it another couple episodes and see where it goes. Definitely not a good first impression, though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

despite fanservice really not being terribly prevalent in the series) and I really don't think there are many people going "wooo, that last scene is the deciding factor in me deciding to watch it" but this kind of crap has seem to have become expected for shows like this. It also inclines people to look at the majority girls in the OP and going "so this is a harem series, right?" when it's not. AT ALL (there is absolute zero attraction from either of the other two girls shown there).

The manga has an interesting approach to fanservice: There is basically zero of it in the story itself, but almost every chapter title page is a fanservice picture completely unrelated to the content of the chapter.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

[I want to see lord koths slow thoughts next

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Id: Invaded, Asteroid show and Eizouken are all legit, this is the first time in a while that so many first episodes of a season have grabbed me.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
In case anybody's sucker for behind-the-scenes peeks here's an interview with the director of Eizouken ep 1 .

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Brett824 posted:

Id: Invaded, Asteroid show and Eizouken are all legit, this is the first time in a while that so many first episodes of a season have grabbed me.

He's back, baby

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

nthing the chat about Eizouken. I love it and it's so much fun. This show is going to be great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Is Heya Camp going to be just a tour of notable spots in Yamanashi as Nadeshiko gets all her stamps?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gripweed posted:

Is Heya Camp going to be just a tour of notable spots in Yamanashi as Nadeshiko gets all her stamps?

According to the series descriptions floating around online, yes.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In complete fairness, even if I don't like the switch to slasher movie villain, I can at least conceptually understand why someone might want to in order to make it more actiony. It's the second change (Kyouya) that REALLY has me scratching my head. Aside from making the lead appear dumber, they do literally nothing with the addition - they could have moved some exposition to him, but they didn't; he literally only exists to hysterically cry not to play it, and then show up for the action sequence (where he still explains nothing - couldn't you have at least mentioned sigils in your last text or something?). It's extra work for an animation studio that is very shorthanded (Nexus has like 6 animators) and exists for ???

Tamba posted:

The manga has an interesting approach to fanservice: There is basically zero of it in the story itself, but almost every chapter title page is a fanservice picture completely unrelated to the content of the chapter.

That's an odd feature I've noticed among more than a few seinen titles for whatever reason. Hell, even Kaguya-sama has a few, and I don't think it really had any before the magazine and category switch.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 7, 2020

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
the covers of a lot of seinen mags feature cheesecake shots of 3d girls

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Kwyndig posted:

According to the series descriptions floating around online, yes.

hell yeah. Sorry, Yatogame-chan, you're only gonna be the second best regional educational short anime this season

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wish pet was just a little more serious about its reality-warping angle, if only because there's miles of difference between the beginning of the main scene where it happens (incl. goofy stereotypical creepy theremin) and then from the faked suicide cut onwards

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Room Camp is only 3 minutes but it's enough to get my Yurucamp fix

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Room Camp is only 3 minutes but it's enough to get my Yurucamp fix

Yurumarinol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

pet is trashy fun, I enjoyed it. looking forward to more sexy mind crimes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i couldn't handle any more id invaded after they casually mentioned that they had a murder vibes detection device, which was even capable of tracking down a specific individual's murder vibes. like, if you have that why the gently caress are you doing all that ridiculous vr dream world nonsense? mass produce the things, then do a grid search.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dorohedoro confirmed for 12 episodes. Best case scenario, they're just adapting volumes 1-3 or 4 for now. They better not loving rush this.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Grouchio posted:

Dorohedoro confirmed for 12 episodes. Best case scenario, they're just adapting volumes 1-3 or 4 for now. They better not loving rush this.

All of the stuff they have shown in the trailers is from fairly early in the manga. Haze doesn't even make an appearance.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

now i'm nervous that we'll only get 12 episodes and it'll stop there

if i never get to see my boy aikawa in motion what's even the point

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I already think Eizouken might end up being in my top 10 anime of all time.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Eizouken fuckin kicks rear end holy poo poo. It's not often I get an anime that hooks me like this one does.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

now i'm nervous that we'll only get 12 episodes and it'll stop there

if i never get to see my boy aikawa in motion what's even the point
The director has also promised that support of the first season will lead to the greenlighting of further production.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Eizouken be like "ah this trash city owns I wanna anime"

Venezuela be like "ah this trash"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
HAIKYUU!!

Do we know when it actually starts/when it will be on crunchyroll?