Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TVs Ian posted:

I mean, it's already on my phone and I can send messages to anyone else's phone. I don't really feel the need to sign up for something else.

:rip: Hangouts

It was pre installed on my first smartphone (Nexus 5), and it was great because you could use data for uncompressed pics and video if they also used it, while also supporting sms and not needing to sign in to anything. Kinda like imessage.

Then Google did a google and hosed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Mister Facetious posted:

:rip: Hangouts

It was pre installed on my first smartphone (Nexus 5), and it was great because you could use data for uncompressed pics and video if they also used it, while also supporting sms and not needing to sign in to anything. Kinda like imessage.

Then Google did a google and hosed it up.

Google hosed up by letting Carriers and Manufacturers control Android. It’s never been good. This is one of those areas where Apple got it right.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Housh posted:

I don’t understand people who talk to others on iPhones that don’t use iMessage. You are paying for Apple as a secure platform.

I honestly rather sms and mms my android friends than use WhatsApp but I get not everyone has international texting.

For me it's been less reliable than normal SMS and I don't care about any of the extra features (read receipts, encryption, pictures etc). So I disable it and just use SMS.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SMS works when data doesn't so that might be your thing

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Maybe don’t have Android friends.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Or just disable it and don't stress about what colour the bubbles are.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
WhatApp because it has the best conversation muting options and the densest text by default on iPhones.

ANYWAY has anyone had an issue with timers set via Siri not making any noise when they’re finished?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

Google hosed up by letting Carriers and Manufacturers control Android. It’s never been good. This is one of those areas where Apple got it right.

Not quite disagreeing, but google did that to get both to sell android, and it’s debatable whether Android picks up if not for having it be prevalent everywhere. The original Moto Droid, the first big selling Android phone in the US, launched perfect timing, right before competing devices like Palm hit Verizon (to be the “iPhone alternative”).

That said, BlackBerry was a poo poo show, Windows was years away from having anything decent, and Palm couldn’t make a phone that didn’t crumble in your hand (rip WebOS), so maybe google would have been fine.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Duckman2008 posted:

That said, BlackBerry was a poo poo show, Windows was years away from having anything decent, and Palm couldn’t make a phone that didn’t crumble in your hand (rip WebOS), so maybe google would have been fine.
Ugh, I worked at a Sprint service center at the time, and I had to do so many exchanges on the Palm Pre and Pixi for just random crap where they'd stop working.

Eventually they started to run out, and at first allowed us to pick from a small list of other devices (all Blackberries, if I recall), then it forced the issue. Which sucked, because the OS seemed really nice for the time, the hardware was just awful.

Well, mostly awful, I had one of their Touchpads when they got discontinued and went on firesale pricing. But by that point the OS was dead so I loaded Android on it. Lasted me a couple of years, longer than any of the other cheap Android tablets I had before Apple lowered iPad prices to where I could afford one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dissss posted:

Or just disable it and don't stress about what colour the bubbles are.

Even your earlier post lists some of the myriad of reasons why iMessage is better than regular SMS. I’m still annoyed some of the work people don’t have iPhones as one of the group chats is labeled correctly and I get no issues, while the ones forced as SMS is easily mistaken for others and in bad signal areas my messages get held up a ton.

I just wish in 2020 we could all agree on one messaging system to use as I’m constantly switching between them for different people though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

in bad signal areas my messages get held up a ton.

I've found that to be the case with iMessage enabled but never with regular SMS. SMS may be feature limited but in my experience it just works.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I guess it depends on your data environment. I’m in places with bad cell signal and decent WiFi far more often than I’m in places with no data but somehow a cell signal still.

iMessage (or WhatsApp) is far more reliable for me than SMS which is extra sucky when a bank or whatever wants to 2FA me a code on SMS and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe it comes through, maybe it doesn’t.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
When I'm selecting multiple photos to delete/share/etc it sometimes selects a huge group at once, as if I had clicked and dragged over a bunch of files in Windows. It's always 100% accidental so I'm wondering if there's an actual gesture for it or if it's just a glitch.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Minidust posted:

When I'm selecting multiple photos to delete/share/etc it sometimes selects a huge group at once, as if I had clicked and dragged over a bunch of files in Windows. It's always 100% accidental so I'm wondering if there's an actual gesture for it or if it's just a glitch.

After selecting one photo, tap on another and drag your fingers.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Boris Galerkin posted:

After selecting one photo, tap on another and drag your fingers.

Oh wow that's pretty good. Thanks!!

On a side note, I was fretting over which method to use to port everything over to my wife's new phone. Both hard drive space (for an iTunes backup) and iCloud space were likely to be an issue with years worth of pics and videos. "If only there was a direct phone-to-phone transfer method" I thought to myself, only to look it up and realize they added just that at some point in iOS 12. So that's great, thanks Apple! I'm sure it's gonna take ages over wifi, but hey I'll take it.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 6, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Their phone-to-phone transfer is heretical black magic when it works and shouldn’t take that long even with lots of pictures.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Anyone order AirPod pros from apple lately? Is the shipping forecast pretty accurate? Shows feb 11 right now, and if they’re holding to that I feel like I can probably find some in stock before that, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you live near one check your local Apple store with the app. I pulled it up last week prepared to put in an order and wait the 30+ days to have it shipped, but it turned out they were available for pickup that day. So they must allocate some number of their stock to stores.

But now I have my overpriced noise makers and am enjoying them. My only complaint has been Apple's insistence on not providing us with a proper equalizer, but rather a list of 30 presets.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

If you live near one check your local Apple store with the app. I pulled it up last week prepared to put in an order and wait the 30+ days to have it shipped, but it turned out they were available for pickup that day. So they must allocate some number of their stock to stores.
They do this for any popular item. It's usually worth it, if you have the available credit for a hold, to order online, and check local and cancel the online if you find local first.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

Anyone order AirPod pros from apple lately? Is the shipping forecast pretty accurate? Shows feb 11 right now, and if they’re holding to that I feel like I can probably find some in stock before that, right?

Costco, Best Buy and Amazon are all showing sold out or backordered as well. A couple Walmarts have a limited number in stock.

Check your local Apple store, if they're not there then you gotta wait.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

I just want to post after a month or two of use of the Beats Pro.

I got them over the AirPod Pros only because I got them half off.

That said, they’re frickin fantastic. Sound is good with one or two in ear, both talk and music. I’ve been able to hang out in my living room, my wife plays whatever video game, and I can watch a hockey game on my iPad with one ear in. Battery life is ridiculous. I charge once a week tops (I’m not a constant Bluetooth user). And I love having the ear loop over my old AirPods , but that’s a very personal preference.

Yeah, the case is bigger, for the winter time when I am wearing a jacket with pockets it hasn’t bothered me at all. I can see it being more annoying in the summer time. That said, A+ , Beats Pro was a good buy.

I’ll just add to this dude’s post since we’re chatting earbuds, I’m one of those mutants whose ears are weird and most earbuds don’t fit great, apple earbuds don’t fit at all. I got my wife AirPods last Xmas and this year she returned the favor with beats pro’s. They are awesome and if AirPods don’t fit or w/e consider them. Or that other dudes $50 over ear monstrosity’s. I’m sure they’re good too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

I’ll just add to this dude’s post since we’re chatting earbuds, I’m one of those mutants whose ears are weird and most earbuds don’t fit great, apple earbuds don’t fit at all. I got my wife AirPods last Xmas and this year she returned the favor with beats pro’s. They are awesome and if AirPods don’t fit or w/e consider them. Or that other dudes $50 over ear monstrosity’s. I’m sure they’re good too.

Hell yeah brother. Same boat here. After 6 months with mine, I still love them. When no one was in the office the past couple weeks, I listened to 8 hours of audiobooks in a row and they never once started to feel uncomfortable. They’re the best gym and running headphones I’ve ever used. Good good poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

How do you do, fellow Powerbeats Pro users. :hfive:

Picked mine up for 25% off in a pre-Black friday sale at BB ( they were still too expensive :canada: ).
My only complaint is that they don't isolate sound very well at all even with a good seal, but the actual quality is excellent, and they checked every other requirement I had.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 7, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My Powerbeats Pro will sometimes fail to both connect to the phone (i.e. only one will connect) and I'll have to put both of them back in the case to cycle and try again. The magnet latch holding them on the charge prongs is also kinda finnicky, even if I ensure positive contact when I put the earbuds away, sometimes I'll find the case with an earbud totally discharged. Maybe I got a bad example. The earhooks are difficult to use with gloves, and the Powerbeats Pro don't fit well under a hat.

They sound good though. Battery lasts forever. Comfortable. They're good thingies but I kinda want Airpods Pro too ... just for different use-cases.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Since they're owned by Apple as well, do the Powerbeats pro share the AirPod feature where pairing them with the iPhone means they're "preloaded" to one's other apple device bluetooth settings via iCloud?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Since they're owned by Apple as well, do the Powerbeats pro share the AirPod feature where pairing them with the iPhone means they're "preloaded" to one's other apple device bluetooth settings via iCloud?

Yes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pivo posted:

My Powerbeats Pro will sometimes fail to both connect to the phone (i.e. only one will connect) and I'll have to put both of them back in the case to cycle and try again. The magnet latch holding them on the charge prongs is also kinda finnicky, even if I ensure positive contact when I put the earbuds away, sometimes I'll find the case with an earbud totally discharged. Maybe I got a bad example. The earhooks are difficult to use with gloves, and the Powerbeats Pro don't fit well under a hat.

They sound good though. Battery lasts forever. Comfortable. They're good thingies but I kinda want Airpods Pro too ... just for different use-cases.

I have the one-headphone thingy every now and then too. I think it was because I adjusted (bent) the ear hooks to hug my head better, so when you put them in the case, they kind of push at each other, causing one of them to not connect fully. Thankfully it only takes like 5 minutes to get enough charge for a workout/run.

When I run, I wear mine with a hat and sunglasses just fine. The ear hooks actually sit over my sunglasses instead of underneath. Seems to work great that way and they don't get jostled around. It felt super weird to me to have my sunglasses sitting on top of the ear hooks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

When I run, I wear mine with a hat and sunglasses just fine. The ear hooks actually sit over my sunglasses instead of underneath. Seems to work great that way and they don't get jostled around. It felt super weird to me to have my sunglasses sitting on top of the ear hooks.

I just mean they are bulky and a toque that covers your ears will push on them with more pressure than something like AirPods that protrude less.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Sweet, thank you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pivo posted:

I just mean they are bulky and a toque that covers your ears will push on them with more pressure than something like AirPods that protrude less.

Maybe you need a looser toque eh? ya hoser.

It's interesting; they're the first set I've worn where the extra pressure of a hat doesn't help with the seal/sound quality, like it would with my Ankers before them. They lock into place for me like earpods.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 7, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Yeah one of the reasons I haven’t got AirPods pro yet is because I live in a rainy/cold climate and take hoods, hats and scarves off and on all the time.

I would get a beats pro pro with ANC and pass through audio in a heartbeat.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I found out this winter that I also hate powerbeats for walking with a hat, so I have gone back to the airpods for walks again which kind of makes me regret not waiting on the airpods with ANC.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

When I wear my AirPod Pros with my knit hat in the cold months it looks like I’m wearing pearl earrings. As a 6 foot bald man I’m not sure if this is a pro or con yet.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The Dave posted:

When I wear my AirPod Pros with my knit hat in the cold months it looks like I’m wearing pearl earrings. As a 6 foot bald man I’m not sure if this is a pro or con yet.

Embrace the drip.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rusty posted:

I found out this winter that I also hate powerbeats for walking with a hat, so I have gone back to the airpods for walks again which kind of makes me regret not waiting on the airpods with ANC.

When they release the powerbeats pro max with it, I know what i'm getting next. :sigh: goodbye money...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Maybe you need a looser toque eh? ya hoser.

I knew what I was getting myself into - I blanked on what the hell you yanks call it. A beanie?

Real talk though pronounce the loving word ‘niche’.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pivo posted:

I knew what I was getting myself into - I blanked on what the hell you yanks call it. A beanie?

Real talk though pronounce the loving word ‘niche’.

I'm not a yank, I'm just an NDP voter who wishes his Ameribros had what we got. :v:
Other names: beanie, knit cap, watch cap, winter hat

Niche - Neesh
Clique - Cleek

:colbert:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is Anker still what you'd recommend for Lightning cables? Boy are they expensive. I tried using thread search and didn't see too many recent results.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
If you don’t need it immediately they go on sale relatively frequently. Keep an eye on deal sites because they seem to do it with coupon codes and stuff instead of just lowering the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Charles posted:

Is Anker still what you'd recommend for Lightning cables? Boy are they expensive. I tried using thread search and didn't see too many recent results.

Monoprice cables are solid and have a lifetime warranty.