Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Could someone summarize what he said this time? My friend is insisting I watch the video and I really don't want to.

a long and cringey on-the-nose speech about how actors aren't qualified to voice their opinions and how they'll do anything for money

It could have been cool if it was funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What was the Epstein joke?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

a long and cringey on-the-nose speech about how actors aren't qualified to voice their opinions and how they'll do anything for money

Tell me he at least included himself in that

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

What was the Epstein joke?

No one cares about movies anymore. No one goes to cinema, no one really watches network TV. Everyone is watching Netflix. This show should just be me coming out, going, "Well done Netflix. You win everything. Good night." But no, we got to drag it out for three hours. You could binge-watch the entire first season of Afterlife instead of watching this show. That's a show about a man who wants to kill himself cause his wife dies of cancer and it's still more fun than this. Spoiler alert, season two is on the way so in the end he obviously didn't kill himself. Just like Jeffrey Epstein. Shut up. I know he's your friend but I don't care.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

Ah. Sounds like more typical "stay in your lane" bullshit.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That...just sounds like an old man rambling. I mean yeah sure delivery or whatever but he just sounds like a bitter old rear end in a top hat. Which is of course what he is.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Good lord it's the Big Brother speech but irl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I1P7ncmRGo

He really doesn't have anything in the tank.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's still true.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

I could watch Monster Factory all day.

Me and my buddy would essentially do the same thing when we’d get home from school and get wicked stoned.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Roblo posted:

That...just sounds like an old man rambling. I mean yeah sure delivery or whatever but he just sounds like a bitter old rear end in a top hat. Which is of course what he is.

Let's just hope his gigantic piles of cash are some comfort to him.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stoatbringer posted:

Let's just hope his gigantic piles of cash are some comfort to him.

Actually they're not nearly as enjoyable to dive into and swim through as I was led to believe.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

lmao is he actually suggesting that trans women are only transitioning so that they can access women's spaces for the purposes of continuing to oppress women

TERFs are so loving broke brained

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/380kmh/status/1214268546253033474?s=21

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

feed it to Ricky Gervais. because he's a pig. and he was funny back when he was fat.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

By popular demand posted:

feed it to Ricky Gervais. because he's a pig. and he was funny back when he was fat.

Getting fit was the thing that convinced him that everybody can just take control of their lives and elevate their circumstances regardless of their situation or reality. It turned him into a right bastard.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Merchant is the funny one

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Honestly they could have stopped after applying the first photo and it would have been a masterpiece.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

InsertPotPun posted:

ricky gervais is a LOT more like david brendt than he'll ever admit but it's very clearly there

Most of his famous characters have inferiority complexes and are bullies.

They aren't characters.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Every squirrel in the area is headed that way.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ahh this is the woods corn that goons are always waxing nostalgic about

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

are there even any women terfs besides jkr on mumsnet or is it all men. because every new terf i see is a dude.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

canyoneer posted:

ahh this is the woods corn that goons are always waxing nostalgic about

:golfclap:

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Shut up Meg posted:

It's a lot of effort for a small gag: 'Swedish sounds a bit like English backwards' They could have done the same joke by just reversing the dialogue, but instead they did this whole ballet and by the time you realise it, it's over and never mentioned again. As you say, would they bother these days?

And the short dialogue gags are really funny, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkWj-jd1ric

Not Top Secret, but in the spirit; this may be my favorite bit of comedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFhpctuUwb4

Police Squad was killed far far too quickly and was too good for this world. So was Leslie Nielsen.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

snergle posted:

are there even any women terfs besides jkr on mumsnet or is it all men. because every new terf i see is a dude.

J.K. Rolland, the Harry Potter author.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Why is TERFism so big in the UK anyway? Is it just that the vague religious/moral/"it ain't right" objections you see in the US don't fly there so they needed to innovate some other line of attack?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Free Drinks posted:

Police Squad was killed far far too quickly and was too good for this world. So was Leslie Nielsen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3rJqHWYjs

I am partial to the epilogues all having variations on the same gag, but running the gamut from a simple goof to an entire elaborately staged setpiece.
:rip: Gone Too Soon (although honestly, six great episodes might be better than a longer decent into mediocrity trying to pad out that premise)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Why is TERFism so big in the UK anyway? Is it just that the vague religious/moral/"it ain't right" objections you see in the US don't fly there so they needed to innovate some other line of attack?

The two explanations I've heard are "intersectional feminism wasn't as popular in the UK" and "having a female prime minister who was a huge reactionary broke a bunch of second-wavers brains", aka "Thatcher Derangement Syndrome".

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

snergle posted:

Sorry to tell you about Meghan Murphy

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Free Drinks posted:

Police Squad went on to spawn 3 feature films and Leslie Nielsen was working in comedy for 2 more decades after the show was cancelled, yet you're still right :iiam:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3rJqHWYjs

I am partial to the epilogues all having variations on the same gag, but running the gamut from a simple goof to an entire elaborately staged setpiece.
:rip: Gone Too Soon (although honestly, six great episodes might be better than a longer decent into mediocrity trying to pad out that premise)

Very tangential to this — I just watched the 1980 Popeye movie with Robin Williams, and I think the funniest thing about it was that for the credits sequence they have the credits roll while the background is of Bluto swimming away from the camera into the distance for like 10 minutes of text crawl. they apparently told the guy "Ok just swim out to sea, and keep going. No, keep on going. We'll come get you eventually"

Guy must have been fuckin wrecked after that take

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://i.imgur.com/gSjzz6V.mp4

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Data Graham posted:

Very tangential to this — I just watched the 1980 Popeye movie with Robin Williams, and I think the funniest thing about it was that for the credits sequence they have the credits roll while the background is of Bluto swimming away from the camera into the distance for like 10 minutes of text crawl. they apparently told the guy "Ok just swim out to sea, and keep going. No, keep on going. We'll come get you eventually"

Guy must have been fuckin wrecked after that take

I've heard Popeye called an "anti-musical" (as a positive term, I think?). That it took expectations and just said "no, gently caress that." It is definitely underrated. Robin Williams and Ray Walston were spectacular and I cannot imagine any one other than Shelley Duvall every playing Olive Oyl. She was born to play that role.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aleph Null posted:

I've heard Popeye called an "anti-musical" (as a positive term, I think?). That it took expectations and just said "no, gently caress that." It is definitely underrated. Robin Williams and Ray Walston were spectacular and I cannot imagine any one other than Shelley Duvall every playing Olive Oyl. She was born to play that role.

Williams got the mannerisms and delivery and weird little ad-libs down absolutely pat, there's no way anyone else could have pulled it off anywhere near as well. Duvall was pretty amazing too.

The songs were so incredibly terrible I was sure I was missing a huge joke

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

hawowanlawow posted:

Merchant is the funny one

It's because he's very tall. A lanky Bristolian is naturally funny to observe.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Aleph Null posted:

Getting fit was the thing that convinced him that everybody can just take control of their lives and elevate their circumstances regardless of their situation or reality. It turned him into a right bastard.
he lost, like, 15 pounds and then started wearing black t-shirts and suddenly he's given free reign to tell everyone how to live their life.

he honestly reminds me of Dilbert-guy, just a lucky loudmouth that doesn't think through anything but still think their every thought is genius.

Free Drinks posted:

"Angie Tribeca" is a great (and only) Police Squad clone

InsertPotPun has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Jan 7, 2020

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Aleph Null posted:

That and being rich too long is a disease that makes you a piece of wet poo poo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

"Angie Tribeca" is a great (and only) Police Squad clone

It took me forever to even know that existed but first season is absolutely on fire as a Police Squad style gag show. IIRC it becomes more of a standard sitcom after that, but one unexpectedly great season in that vein is nothing to sneeze at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This is some old man rambling bullshit, but the Epstein bit at the end was ice cold.

TERF or not (and he deffo is), I can appreciate when a joke draws the most deliciously awkward groans from an audience. My favourite one to that end was his bit on steroids (around 4:30 in the original video if you want to find it). It got buried amidst the other hot scandals he joked about, but the groan from the audience was just perfect, because they know that everyone is on that poo poo but nobody in the industry has the balls to say so. I wish we'd have gotten a Mark Wahlberg reaction shot from that one.