Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I still don't get why they didn't just make this chapter available today instead of tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
horikoshi reveal yourself which poster are you]

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006023

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how come the next chapter's on the 19th?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The bit with Uraraka was the most normal interaction Deku has ever had with anyone in his life.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
drat, Terminator really is crossing over with everything.

Man, I hope Eri's power doesn't go out of control at the worst possible moment. :ohdear:

Shere posted:

The bit with Uraraka was the most normal interaction Deku has ever had with anyone in his life.

Forget knowing about the Quirks of previous OFA holders, this is the most important milestone of Izuku's development in recent memory.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Mina continues to be the best. ACIDMAN!

Shere posted:

Was also a big fan of Mineta's reaction to it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Deku showing mastery over Blackwhip owns hard as hell

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Very fun chapter, hoping the pace keeps up.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Poor Sero. Now Uraka's horning in on his territory, too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo, Mirio didn't die off screen

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think Present Mic and Aizawa need a loving drink

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I feel pretty bad for Bakugou, but man... Kirishima and Ashido should smooch already.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Just noticed in the Jiro and Shoji panel, you can see Gang Orca throwing them off panel

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Mina getting an Unbreakable type super move means she’ll get back in the spotlight right?

Right?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

Mina getting an Unbreakable type super move means she’ll get back in the spotlight right?

Right?

Uuuuhh.... back into spotlight? :confused:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Viz's viewer for those that can use it. Displays everything as two pages so you get the full impact of the two-page spreads.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-256/chapter/19820?action=read

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Mangaplus's viewer does that too :confused:

Unless you have it set to vertical

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

mina spinoff when

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Right?

She's one of Horikoshi's favorite characters so she's always going to get some screentime but she's also a female character in a Shonen Jump manga, i.e. not likely

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Sindai posted:

Mangaplus's viewer does that too :confused:

Unless you have it set to vertical

I could have sworn I checked the horizontal and it still split them, but nope. you're right. I must have just looked at the first page. I still like Viz's viewer better though. It plays nicer with my browser.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

She's one of Horikoshi's favorite characters so she's always going to get some screentime but she's also a female character in a Shonen Jump manga, i.e. not likely

I have so many Act Age jokes I want to make right now.

So many.

Somewhat more seriously, that's been improving in recent years, even aside from the female lead series in Jump. Even Chainsaw Man, a series about Doom-style violence and a horny teenager's desire to touch boobs, gives its female characters spotlight arcs and big fight scenes.

MHA's just working on an older system.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Even other contemporary shonen series like Black Clover and Demon Slayer are better about letting women have arcs and do things than MHA

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Man, that was a good, wholesome chapter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mulderman posted:

Kirishima and Ashido should smooch already.

:hmmyes:

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's not fair. Why do all of the fun female characters always get shafted by Shonen Jump?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
BOYS PLAY WITH BOY TOYS, GIRLS PLAY WITH GIRL TOYS, AND BOYS THINK GIRLS ARE ICKY, SO BOYS WON'T PLAY WITH SHE-RA, AND GIRLS WON'T PLAY WITH HE-MAN

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Actually historically the marketing truism is girls are a lot more likely to do boy stuff than boys are to do girl stuff, and that is part of the explanation

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how much info All Might managed to dig up on the past OFA users? At the very least, I bet he probably won't have anything on those two silhouetted figures.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Remember the time when MHA was just starting up, and it looked like it will actually do excellent job in its treatment of its female characters, with Froppy being one of the characters with most screentime in first arc and all 1A girls having pretty solid showing in sports festival arc, with Uraraka having probably best 1v1 fight in tournament and when even Momo being useless seemed as an actually big deal that was addressed by the story and would surely lead to a character development arc and her becoming stronger and more competent? Yeah, good times. :sigh:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Toga got a cool fight in the Villain Academia arc. She's also been one of the most competent members of the League in most of her appearances.

Mina and Uraraka were also the best parts of their team during the Class A vs B arc.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 7, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It's treatment of female characters is not terrible, but it certainly doesn't seem to be living up to the early potential either.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rhonne posted:

I wonder how much info All Might managed to dig up on the past OFA users? At the very least, I bet he probably won't have anything on those two silhouetted figures.

I personally would like to see Deku's criticisms of All Might's note taking methods.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Being a fan of Momo must be suffering. She really needs an unambiguous win.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Being a fan of Momo must be suffering. She really needs an unambiguous win.

Give the screentime wasted on Momo to Mina or Jirou.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blockhouse posted:

Even other contemporary shonen series like Black Clover and Demon Slayer are better about letting women have arcs and do things than MHA
Noelle gets to be cool but then gets to pay for it by having to do a hot springs chapter basically right after if the pattern follows. Mimosa gets to heal people, nearly die, then have a 2 page spread dedicated to the Heart Queen grabbing her tits.

Makima from Chainsawman is pretty dope though

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Have the Vigilantes guys do a Class 1 spinoff while Hori focuses on the main plot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Noelle gets to be cool but then gets to pay for it by having to do a hot springs chapter basically right after if the pattern follows. Mimosa gets to heal people, nearly die, then have a 2 page spread dedicated to the Heart Queen grabbing her tits.

Makima from Chainsawman is pretty dope though

One thing that stood out to me about the women in Chainsaw Man as compared to the Jump standard is that fanservice tends to be them going "Hey, wanna see some tits?" rather than "Oh no! My tits are being exposed!"

(It's also a part of why Denji's horniness feels likable and earnest, while Mineta's a creep. Denji actually cares how the girls involved feel about things.)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I liked Deku’s finishing move with Blackwhip

Got Kamen Raider vibes from it

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 7, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, so, Deku is going to crack open that notebook and read it back to front and do his own research, duh. That kind of thing would be like Deku's Christmas presents, birthday gift, Halloween candy, Valentine's day candy and a Valentine's card from Uraraka all in one.

But when are we gonna see it? Next issue? When he next sees a wielder ghost? The next time a power of his suddenly bursts out?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love Mina's expression while watching Deku and Uraraka have their little interaction.

She ships it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Honestly I want to like this chapter but every time we check in with the rest of the class there's a part of me that just fixates on how muich Horikoshi cannot handle this series' cast and wondering how long it will be before he separates The Three Characters Who Matter from everyone else again.