Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Any bets on the amount of ram in each model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

repiv posted:

comedy option: they keep tensor cores on the silicon but fuse them off on consumer cards, like they used to do with double precision

consumers are none the wiser since nobody figured out a use-case for them anyway, and those drat cheapskate ML startups have to pay the tesla/quadro tax :homebrew:

This is of course what will happen

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Have there been any other GPU generational transitions where a manufacturer removed a major bit of functionality like that?

It already happened before with double precision, you used to be able to get mainstream AMD cards with 1/4 rate FP64 and relatively affordable Titans with 1/3 rate, but both companies put a stop to that when universities and companies started buying racks full of cheap HD7970s or Titans instead of the expensive pro cards. AMD/NV tend not to remove functionality that would break backwards compatibility but they didn't have to in that case, they just had their compilers emit emulated routines for FP64 ops and everything kept working, albeit extremely slowly unless you sprung for a GP100/GV100/Vega20 card with real FP64 FPUs.

They could do that again with the tensor cores if they're so inclined.

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 5, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Any bets on the amount of ram in each model?

GN recently reported that GDDR6 prices are expected to rise over the year due to consoles using 16GB of it, so I personally do not expect any large capacity increases compared to current cards because the manufacturers want to keep their margins up.

https://press.trendforce.com/press/20191226-3320.html

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Nah, why leave money on the table when we can expect the "SUPER" refreshes now as well?

Also a very good point.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Samsung also had a power cut at a factory a few days ago, so that's throwing out a couple million dollars worth of product.

Is that how Samsung is going to artificially constrain supply to keep prices up now? Carefully orchestrated "accidental" power cuts?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is 2060 non-Super the best value for not giving a poo poo about RTX and just wanting 1440? EVGA sells them for about $100 more which seems right to me.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

For 1440p probably the 5700 is a better value.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

charity rereg posted:

For 1440p probably the 5700 is a better value.

Buying for someone who absolutely does not want AMD graphics under any circumstance. We're talking "never buying it again after a bad experience, would rather get less for money" permaban.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, I’m gonna just ride it out with 1080p scaled until the right card hits the sweet spot on price, $400 or less for me. Looks like I’ll be waiting a while.

Laslow fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 6, 2020

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Laslow posted:

I just got a 4K60 monitor. Obviously my old 970 isn’t up to the task. Is the 2080 line really the only option for 4K60? If so, it might be wise for me to wait a generation for their X70 line to cover me, from a value standpoint, yeah?

Does AMD have anything close to 4K60 capable?

Depends on the games you play and whether your self-worth is tied to running every graphics setting on ultra.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 5, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Laslow posted:

I just got a 4K60 monitor. Obviously my old 970 isn’t up to the task. Is the 2080 line really the only option for 4K60? If so, it might be wise for me to wait a generation for their X70 line to cover me, from a value standpoint, yeah?

Does AMD have anything close to 4K60 capable?

Here's a bunch of graphs comparing the 5700XT to the 2070 Super at 4K. Keep in mind every game's definition of highest graphics is different and some of the ones listed are very poorly optimized.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Iffy rumors, but how do these compare with PC GPUs?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Iffy rumors, but how do these compare with PC GPUs?

5700XT has 40CUs and is generally is clocked around 1900-2000MHz depending on the model, 448 GB/s of bandwidth. Every 100 MHz is about 4% performance give or take based on my XT testing.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 6, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
We'll have to see what those 'custom Navi CUs' turn out to be, but that sounds awfully high.

To me the PS5 sounds like a 5500 and the X whatever like a 5600/slightly further cut down 5700.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 6, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The Xbox Series Xbox Ten Series One is probably going to be a legitimately powerful machine, but it's also likely to be quite expensive.

I think people may be underestimating how much of a jump in power these new consoles could potentially be just because the original PS4/Bone were by far the weakest consoles ever released in comparison to PCs of their day. A very average gaming PC from a few years before was already more than equal to them.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
"PS5 = 5500" is beyond lowballing it though, the current Xbox One X already has 5500 level perfomance and the fanboys are already mildly disappointed by the leaked 36 CU number.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

We'll have to see what those 'custom Navi CUs' turn out to be, but that sounds awfully high.

To me the PS5 sounds like a 5500 and the X whatever like a 5600/slightly further cut down 5700.

I think you’re underselling how good these new consoles are going to be. The ps4 pro and XB1X already have 5500 level performance, I expect them to be closer to the 5700 or 5700 XT.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

Is 2060 non-Super the best value for not giving a poo poo about RTX and just wanting 1440? EVGA sells them for about $100 more which seems right to me.

The current value points in the NVIDIA lineup are 1650S, 2060S, and 2070S.

2060S roughly equals a 2070/1080 and a 2070S roughly equals a 2080/1080 Ti. Rather than knock down the prices NVIDIA launched a 1070 Ti style refresh that is almost the same thing at a lower price. It’s mildly slower than the next non-super upwards but not much.

1080/2060S level was a good recommendation for 1440p last gen but requirements drift upwards over time so I’d be tempted to recommend the 2070S right now. Or look for a deal on a used 1080 Ti. Or wait 6 months for the next gen (hopefully).

As always, there isn’t much point to paying 20% extra for the Ultra Xtreem Hyper Binned OC Edition unless you are pretty high in the stack, so just get the basic tier of card. For EVGA that’s the “black edition” open cooler card (blower may be slightly cheaper but that’s probably an avoid).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 6, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

The current value points in the NVIDIA lineup are 1650S, 2060S, and 2070S.
1650? And here Hardware Unboxed, which I tend to like because of the huge number of gaming benchmarks they do, liked the 1660.

quote:

1080/2060S level was a good recommendation for 1440p last gen but requirements drift upwards over time so I’d be tempted to recommend the 2070S right now. Or look for a deal on a used 1080 Ti. Or wait 6 months for the next gen (hopefully).

I'm looking at a budget of $350 and have no interest in high quality settings. This is for a person presently limping along with a 3GB 1060 and a 2550K. They are having to upgrade literally everything all at once and I want him to see why I keep raving about my 1070 and Gsync monitor, even if the reality is that both of us are deprived compared to the :homebrew: krew.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 6, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

1650? And here Hardware Unboxed, which I tend to like because of the huge number of gaming benchmarks they do, liked the 1660.

I'm looking at a budget of $350 and have no interest in high quality settings. This is for a person presently limping along with a 3GB 1060 and a 2550K. They are having to upgrade literally everything all at once and I want him to see why I keep raving about my 1070 and Gsync monitor, even if the reality is that both of us are deprived compared to the :homebrew: krew.

1650S. Basically same deal, it's 1660 performance but cheaper.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1945-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-super/

The other nice thing is 1650S has the TU106? chip or whatever, the bigger one that's in the 1660/1660 Ti, which has the better NVENC. The OG 1650 has Volta-tier NVENC.

Looks like there's a 1660 Super now too? That might be a good option.

I think the 2060S is probably the go-to 1440p recommendation right now but it’s above your budget. The non-super drops to 6GB of VRAM which is kind of a bummer. But maybe the 1660S will work. That or try and score a cheap 1080 or 10&0 Ti.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 6, 2020

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Yeah, 1660S is pretty much the same performance as the 1660ti for ~50 bucks less.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I was going to say, I've been recommending the 1660S as a 1080p/RTX OFF option as it seems like a really good value at that spot. 2070S seems a bit overkill for 1080p to me, but I guess it gives you a little "future-proof" headroom there. If you think you're going to do VR anytime soon then I'd say jump to a 2070S for sure.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Arzachel posted:

Yeah, 1660S is pretty much the same performance as the 1660ti for ~50 bucks less.

Indeed, outside a few games where the Ti gets 10-15% better performance. It's a very strong candidate as a 1080p go-to card, though at that price you're also in the realm of picking up a used 1070Ti, which is ~30% faster.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
multiple people making requests here but I think craptacular was looking for 1440p not 1080p

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nvidia has a new feature update: https://videocardz.com/driver/nvidia-ces-game-ready-441-87-whql

They finally added a general FPS limiter, and you can now force variable-rate shading at the driver level for VR games (initially 25 of them).

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 6, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Yeah Craptaculater wanted 1440p/60hz which is why I initially said 5700. It's going to be pay a little more for a little less in a 2060 or pay a bit more for a bit more in a 2060S. The 5700 is a pretty solid 10% faster than the 2060 and usually cheaper. So it's a tough recommend. The 2060S is basically $400, 2060 $341, and the 2700 more like $320-350.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

repiv posted:

Nvidia has a new feature update: https://videocardz.com/driver/nvidia-ces-game-ready-441-87-whql

They finally added a general FPS limiter, and you can now force variable-rate shading at the driver level for VR games (initially 25 of them).

The question is, is this just finally exposing a default control for the same old garbage-tier frame limiter that's been built into the drivers for a long time, or have they actually done something new and good?

eames
May 9, 2009

K8.0 posted:

The question is, is this just finally exposing a default control for the same old garbage-tier frame limiter that's been built into the drivers for a long time, or have they actually done something new and good?

:emptyquote:

I suspect we'll have to wait for blurbusters to look into this, though AFAIK there are multiple versions of the framelimiter in the driver and the more recent ones aren't (much?) worse than RTSS.

It is good to see that last year's Wolfenstein now supports DLSS
said nobody ever

eames fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 6, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And is it going to be loving locked behind a GFE login or not?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I've been thinking of getting an aftermarket air cooler like the Morpheus II and I wonder if anyone has a good experience with them, particularly with reusing it across multiple cards. I know I'd have to buy more heatsinks for that but I kinda want to go for it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

eames posted:

It is good to see that last year's Wolfenstein now supports DLSS
said nobody ever

hey the version of dlss in control is pretty good, maybe it's that version

shame that version doesn't actually use deep learning lol

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Huh, this is the first time I can't uncheck the installation of the GF-Exp. Might just be me though.

AMD CES-Keynote in 90 mins incidentally. Maybe they'll have something interesting for the desktop users.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

AMD CES-Keynote in 90 mins incidentally. Maybe they'll have something interesting for the desktop users.

5600XT will be launched... if that interests you

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

an actual dog posted:

I've been thinking of getting an aftermarket air cooler like the Morpheus II and I wonder if anyone has a good experience with them, particularly with reusing it across multiple cards. I know I'd have to buy more heatsinks for that but I kinda want to go for it.

I'm running an Arctic Accelero III with the fans removed. Mounting was pretty tricky but you can't match the temps and noise with any stock air cooler.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

an actual dog posted:

I have one on a palit 1080, with two noctua fans. It's very quiet and maxes at 65c, at 60% fan speed.

I had trouble fitting it. The X support / brace / whatever provided doesn't have provision for components behind the GPU package. So I had to use the stock part, and the screws were then too long. Don't be surprised if you need different screws or washers to make up the tension lost by using the stock support, if you gotta.

My PCB is non standard, maybe that's it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 6, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

at... $279 USD. Literally seen 5700s cheaper than that lol.

Man, if reviewers hadn't pried one decent product segment out of AMD they literally would have priced every single product above NVIDIA this time around, lovely drivers and all

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Cygni posted:

There will be an exciting new architecture announced and it will have advanced raytracing with little impact on FPS. And good drivers. Just you wait.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

at... $279 USD. Literally seen 5700s cheaper than that lol.

Man, if reviewers hadn't pried one decent product segment out of AMD they literally would have priced every single product above NVIDIA this time around, lovely drivers and all

Yep. Blower 5700 has been that price and the XFX dual fan has been as low as $299.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
5600/XT launching January 21st.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 6, 2020