Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’ve got a bunch of really good oranges that are gonna go off soon. Can I rind them and freeze them for old fashioneds? Would be nice to have some in stock that I can just pull out instead of buying big bags and wasting 90% of the produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I was gifted a bottle of Kura for Christmas. Funny enough, it’s apparently a Japanese whisky only insofar as the bottler imported a bunch of scotch and aged it for a few years. It tastes alright straight- I’m not a big scotch fan but it’s very light on smoke- but there’s a slight acrid note to it that’s become more pronounced in any cocktails I’ve tried it in thusfar. Sad that my gift-giver got pretty hoodwinked on the price of this.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Carillon posted:

Anyone have a good pisco punch recipe? It's a great spirit and I'd love to do more than a sour with it, plus I know the Bay area haa a special relationship with pisco punch.

Chilcanos can be fun if you're looking for a change of pace from the pisco sour. The only pisco punch recipe I have on hand, I haven't tried yet because it calls for a whole bottle and makes a whole punchbowl. If you're interested I can type it up later. You can infuse piscos too, I made a raspberry one last month which is pretty nice in a pisco sour.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wife and I dogsat for this past week and were gifted this from the dogsitee-

What on Earth do I do with this? It looks like Bailey's but with tequila instead of whiskey.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bape Culture posted:

I’ve got a bunch of really good oranges that are gonna go off soon. Can I rind them and freeze them for old fashioneds? Would be nice to have some in stock that I can just pull out instead of buying big bags and wasting 90% of the produce.

I would zest them for orangecello and crush the fruit for syrup, myself. Because I did it yesterday.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Wife and I dogsat for this past week and were gifted this from the dogsitee-

(tequila cream image)

What on Earth do I do with this? It looks like Bailey's but with tequila instead of whiskey.

Have you tasted it? If it doesn't taste lovely and/or super artificial on its own, and is just too sweet or something, you could just do a duo with it and actual tequila (I'd go reposado) on the rocks, stirred. Also, tequila pairs well with sherry, so you may be able to mess with something like 1:1:1 tequila:amontillado/oloroso sherry:this stuff? If it's not gross to look at (i.e. super cloudy and pale), by transposition you could maybe sub it for sweet/PX sherry in any modern cocktail calling for PX and see what that does?

Just imagining what this might taste like I'm tempted to try it with like chartreuse or something, but who knows if that would actually work.

If it totally sucks on its own, you're screwed though.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Slightly hijacking your post - got a small bottle of px sherry for chrimbo, any recs for what to make with it? Will probably try it in place of vermouth in a manhattan first of all!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

field balm posted:

Slightly hijacking your post - got a small bottle of px sherry for chrimbo, any recs for what to make with it? Will probably try it in place of vermouth in a manhattan first of all!

Do a Dolly Dagger.

1 dark jamaican rum
1.5 px sherry
.75 lime
.5 simple
1t vanilla syrup

Whip, strain into highball over crushed ice, swizzle, garnish mint

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Do a Dolly Dagger.

1 dark jamaican rum
1.5 px sherry
.75 lime
.5 simple
1t vanilla syrup

Whip, strain into highball over crushed ice, swizzle, garnish mint

That sounds pretty good! I have some dark spiced rum on hand, i might try it with that and omit the vanilla syrup. I've been meaning to expand my rum selection anyway!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
With that much PX, I'm surprised it needs additional sweetening.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gonna show my rear end with a question; is there a significant difference between a particular fruit liqueur and a fruit flavored Brandy? If I'm reading right, they're both liqueurs, just one is Brandy based and the other is from something neutral, usually? I've never had just Brandy, only flavored, so I don't know.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Gonna show my rear end with a question; is there a significant difference between a particular fruit liqueur and a fruit flavored Brandy? If I'm reading right, they're both liqueurs, just one is Brandy based and the other is from something neutral, usually? I've never had just Brandy, only flavored, so I don't know.

Brandy is, as Wikipedia says, “a spirit made from distilling wine.” As with wine, “brandy” with no qualifiers is assumed to be grape brandy; IOW, distilled from grape wine. If it is made from another fruit wine, such as plums, pears, or apples, then it is “plum brandy” or “pear brandy” and so on.

Many also have other names, which may be tied up with DOC’s or other cultural concerns. Calvados is a french apple brandy, for instance. This is true of grape brandies as well, cognac being the obvious example.

Liqueurs are sweetened (and usually otherwise flavored) booze. Brandies, whether from grapes or other fruit, are distilled spirits with no added sugar.* Cherry Heering (a liqueur) therefore tastes nothing like cherry brandy. (And very little like maraschino, another cherry liqueur.)

Distill a brandy enough times and you get eau de vie. Now ask about the difference between eau de vie and vodka. :D

* Is backsweetening a thing with brandy? If so, it would be a pedantic exception here.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

"Brandy" is simply the term for alcohol derived from fruit. It encompasses a huge range of spirits, from the most well known -- Cognac to old world brandies like grappa & slivovitz, to tropical oddities like Feni, which is distilled from Cashew Apples in India.

Liqueur (or Crème, the French synonym) is an alcoholic beverage that has been flavored and/or sweetened to taste however the producer desire. This includes making them taste like fruit. There are no real rules about how to make a liqueur. They can range from low abv to as high as 35% and can be made from NGS, brandy, whiskey, or any other spirit.

pgroce posted:

* Is backsweetening a thing with brandy? If so, it would be a pedantic exception here.

For Brandies any spirit coming from less reputable or regulated places, almost certainly, though they would probably not admit it.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 2, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To use a simple example, Grand Marnier and Cointreau are both orange liqueurs. They're made by starting with liquor, further distilling it with orange peels, then adding sugar. They taste very different because Grand Marnier starts with grape brandy and Cointreau starts with neutral grain spirits distilled from sugar beets.

Grand Marnier is an orange liqueur that's brandy-based, but it's not orange brandy, since it's not actually distilled from orange fruits.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What’s cherry heering like? I’ve only had maraschino.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
They're not much alike. Heering is a thick, dark, rich, spiced cherry liqueur. It's made for drinking neat while watching Black Sabbath during a snowstorm while a guy keeps banging on your door shouting "Come out, Neville!"

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Cherry Heering is like the fluid that luxardo cherries are jarred in, but formulated as a beverage. Luxardo maraschino is Robotussin, but formulated as a beverage. Both rule.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

All those answers make sense. And a double yes to the maraschino liqueur. I wasn't expecting that particular taste and it slightly soured me on it but I'll find drinks to use it in.

Excited to get some Heering and also Grand Marnier to compare to the Cointreau I've got.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I will say, while I've found some acceptable substitutes for Cointreau, I haven't found any brandy-based orange liqueurs that taste very much like Grand Marnier. There are good ones, but brandy being brandy, they're all different.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

All those answers make sense. And a double yes to the maraschino liqueur. I wasn't expecting that particular taste and it slightly soured me on it but I'll find drinks to use it in.

It's important to know that Maraschino is made from Marasci cherry pits. Cherry liqueur like Heering is made to taste like cherry fruit syrup.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Halloween Jack posted:

I will say, while I've found some acceptable substitutes for Cointreau, I haven't found any brandy-based orange liqueurs that taste very much like Grand Marnier. There are good ones, but brandy being brandy, they're all different.

I think that Grand Gala is a perfectly acceptable substitute in punches and sangrias.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’ve recently discovered that digestifs actually seem to work, which is really surprising to me. I’m highly suspicious of any “natural remedies,” particularly folksy stuff like digestifs, but both myself and my partner have found that they work at least as well as over-the-counter medicine for an upset stomach.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’ve recently discovered that digestifs actually seem to work, which is really surprising to me. I’m highly suspicious of any “natural remedies,” particularly folksy stuff like digestifs, but both myself and my partner have found that they work at least as well as over-the-counter medicine for an upset stomach.

Ango in ginger beer is a magic potion to cure hangover queasiness

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kenning posted:

I think that Grand Gala is a perfectly acceptable substitute in punches and sangrias.
It's good, but doing a side-by-side tasting, they're very different. Whereas when I put Cointreau up against a mid-shelf substitute like O3, I usually find that the substitute is just less subtle: sweeter and literally more on-the-nose with the orange flavour.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Ango, at least, has herbs in it that contain compounds that have been proven to have calmative properties.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Underberg also works wonders after a meal

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

After Thanksgiving this year I was sitting around feeling a bit bloated and I remarked that I would kill for some Fernet. My friend who was present reported that she had purchased a bottle the previous evening, and it was still in her car. It was a Thanksgiving miracle, and it really helped calm the belly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can vouch for Fernet. It was given to me at the Crown & Crow in DC for the first time when I complained that I couldn't order another drink due to having eaten and drank too much before coming there. Last summer I ended up having to take a shot of it when my boss suddenly sat down next to me at a German restaurant and I needed to finish my entire plate and a liter of beer in 20 minutes to escape. It's like magic how quickly it settles your stomach.

Ango in ginger beer is a magic potion to cure hangover queasiness

You can also use regular soda water if you don't have ginger beer. My mom started doing it when she began having issues after her surgery with queasiness (which turned out to be an infection from a bad mesh job).

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Speaking of Ango, I've recently taken extremely well to the Alabazam. I'm looking for other cocktails that use 1/4oz or more bitters of whatever description, if you've got one or two you care for.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Trinidad Sour

1.5 oz. Angostura bitters
1 oz. orgeat
.75 oz. lemon juice
.5 oz. rye

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Angostura Colada

1.5 ango
.5 light overproof rum
2 pineapple juice
1.5 coco lopez
1 lime juice

Shake, strain into snifter over crushed ice. Orange slice, grated nutmeg, pineapple leaf garnish

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bitter Mai Tai

1 ½ oz. Campari
¾ oz. Jamaican rum
½ oz. orange Curaçao
1 oz. fresh lime juice
¾ oz. orgeat

I had this at a restaurant that had it listed as a Mai Negroni. If you like those two drinks this might blow you away. It's bitter but cut with that orgeat, it's a great discovery for me.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Angostura Colada

1.5 ango
.5 light overproof rum
2 pineapple juice
1.5 coco lopez
1 lime juice

Shake, strain into snifter over crushed ice. Orange slice, grated nutmeg, pineapple leaf garnish

This is a 6.5oz cocktail before dilution. What the hell?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, that's Tiki for you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kenning posted:

Yeah, that's Tiki for you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, you're supposed to pour it into a tall glass that looks like a totem pole, if the totem is Boba Fett.

This is a total newbie question: I'm batching Aviations for a party this weekend, and I've never really done it before. (I've made punch, but the fruit juice provided all the "weak" I needed.) I have no idea how much to dilute.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Carillon posted:

Bitter Mai Tai

1 ½ oz. Campari
¾ oz. Jamaican rum
½ oz. orange Curaçao
1 oz. fresh lime juice
¾ oz. orgeat

I had this at a restaurant that had it listed as a Mai Negroni. If you like those two drinks this might blow you away. It's bitter but cut with that orgeat, it's a great discovery for me.

Yeah this drink loving rules.

If you have someone who doesn't like Campari this has a good chance at converting them.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
A fun experiment I did for a while was replacing grenadine in any recipe with Campari. Sometimes didn't work, often did. Extra complexity and depth

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, you're supposed to pour it into a tall glass that looks like a totem pole, if the totem is Boba Fett.

This is a total newbie question: I'm batching Aviations for a party this weekend, and I've never really done it before. (I've made punch, but the fruit juice provided all the "weak" I needed.) I have no idea how much to dilute.

The easiest way is to make one to your specifications, weigh the drink before you add ice, add ice, stir/shake, then remove the ice and weigh to get how much ice you've added. (It's what Dave Arnold of Liquid Intelligence recommends). Maggie Hoffman also suggests that but then gives the rule of thumb of 17 and 25%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Klauser posted:

Yeah this drink loving rules.

If you have someone who doesn't like Campari this has a good chance at converting them.

So timely, I just made one of these last night. Use Smith + Cross to really make it amazing.