Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You really don’t need to worry about xp , everyone pretty much ends up at the same level by the end.
It’s only a pain if you want to get to a certain level to upgrade your armour and you keep getting 1xp for low level quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Helith posted:

You really don’t need to worry about xp , everyone pretty much ends up at the same level by the end.
It’s only a pain if you want to get to a certain level to upgrade your armour and you keep getting 1xp for low level quests.

I want that drat Nilfgaard set, I finally outleveled the sleek-rear end Temerian set and am stuck in the 'various ill-fitting sweaters and pirate blouses' part of the game :argh:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Do any of the various lighting mods make things brighter when you are indoors? I know they want you to use Cat potion in caves but I shouldn't feel like it's needed indoors.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

chaosapiant posted:

Vilgafortz is who beat the poo poo out of Geralt.

I loved that Vilgefortz physically beat Geralt into a bag of shattered bones, because it drives home that Vilgefortz was prepared for the fight and Geralt didn't even know who his opponent was. I really thought that was an important beat in the books (plus it's plot-necessary), so I'm still a bit concerned about how unimpressive Vilgefortz seems in his appearance in the Witcher netflix show. But . . . I'm pretty sure the metal rod he picks up in the woods at Sodden is the one he'll break Geralt with, so I'm hoping they'll show him on his journey to that future version.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Literally Esoteric posted:

I loved that Vilgefortz physically beat Geralt into a bag of shattered bones, because it drives home that Vilgefortz was prepared for the fight and Geralt didn't even know who his opponent was. I really thought that was an important beat in the books (plus it's plot-necessary), so I'm still a bit concerned about how unimpressive Vilgefortz seems in his appearance in the Witcher netflix show. But . . . I'm pretty sure the metal rod he picks up in the woods at Sodden is the one he'll break Geralt with, so I'm hoping they'll show him on his journey to that future version.

Yea, it's been said before, but we know in the show that Vilgafortz was being "monitored" telepathically by Yennefer, so it makes sense he'd throw the fight. At least that's how I see it. Should he show up later and beat the gently caress out of Geralt, it's going to be a huge "oh poo poo!" moment, because up until that point, Geralt is pretty much indestructible.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I hope that they continue to use the setting, but branch out into different game styles and different characters. There’s so much potential in the Witcher universe that is squandered if all the games are about following Geralt around.

Give me a Council-style social intrigue game where you play as a sorceress politicking with various figures. Give me a stealth game where you play as Dandelion sneaking into and out of people’s houses for illicit rendezvous. Give me a strategy game based around the Second Northern War. As long as they keep up the quality of the writing and the element of choice, I’d go for just about anything.

Play thronebreaker, it's really really good. You can even skip the card battles if it's not your thing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TV series impressions - here, or in TVIV?

I love the first two short story books and am ambivalent to indifferent towards the Ciri saga proper.

But even someone who really loves everything to do with Cirilla would probably question the point of stuffing "The Lesser Evil" and the destruction of Cintra into the same first episode, leaving neither storyline with any room to breathe properly.

I know for a fact there's a good story to be told with Renfri and her gang, but the show does everything it can to avoid doing so while sticking to the basic fabula. Some of it is probably for lack of time, but some of it stems from a total misunderstanding of what made the original story work.

Geralt doesn't actually know anyone in this town, isn't friends with the Alderman, is camping out in the woods instead of being a guest in his home, the only townsperson we actually get to meet is a dog-killing pyschopath - no. gently caress no. Why would you do that? Why would Geralt care about being exiled from a place where he has no ties and that he doesn't care about? What the gently caress does he care about the opinion of a bunch of extras he doesn't know?

There's no framing device story and Geralt doesn't know Strigobor, who didn't chase him out of Kovir - somewhat along the same lines. A Geralt who has friends or acquaintances, a Geralt who cares about belonging and the opinion of others, for all that he pretends otherwise, is a lot more interesting than a muderhobo.

Stigobor looks like a well-off merchant instead of a canonical-Gandalf-Wizard - misses the whole theme of appearances versus substance, which the story doesn't delve into at all.

Dumping Renfri's dwarves - probably a good idea all things considered, but now there are even fewer indications that this is a Sleeping Beauty Snow White riff.

Renfri's gang no longer have names or personalities - I swear whoever wrote this story was working off the cliffnotes, with no understanding of why any of the story elements are there. Ok, they were fairly generic thugs, but they were thugs with names, faces, and personalities. The fight vs the Witcher was described essentially from their perspective, and their slaughter had some impact. None of that is the case in the episode.

Gerat loving gives Renfri half a dozen chances to walk away even after being cut - NO. NO. Christ no. Why would you do that? Why would you annihilate the whole climax of the story? He IS a machine in that instance, that is the loving point. And he's not going to hold her as she dies, that is the pointXinfinity.

I was utterly unengaged with the Cintra story. Like "oh yeah, of course swords can poke right through the center of breastplates, because armor is made of paper and used for decoration" and "oh yeah, scream out 'WE'RE LOSING' in the middle of battle, that's sure to be great for the troop morale" level of uninterested. It was fairly dire.

Don't know how I feel about Kahir actually killing Ciri's knight, giving her an actual reason to fear and mistrust him. Not optimistic considering the rest of the episode though.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 6, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Dumping Renfri's dwarves - probably a good idea all things considered, but now there are even fewer indications that this is a Sleeping Beauty riff.

Snow White.

But there were still seven of them, weren't there?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The first 2 episodes of the Witcher series are really rough - they bite off way more than they can chew plot wise and it becomes a mess. Episode 3 and the rest of the season is much better plotted.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Proteus Jones posted:

Snow White.

But there were still seven of them, weren't there?

Yes, Renfri had seven men. The whole seven dwarves thing, however, is a misinterpretation of the book. In the book, it's said that her character, in the past, ran with a group of seven gnome bandits while she went under the name Shrike. It's not like the book featured seven dwarf/gnome henchmen that the show replaced with humans. So, for that part at least, the show was accurate to the folks who were actually Renfri's gang.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

chaosapiant posted:

Yes, Renfri had seven men. The whole seven dwarves thing, however, is a misinterpretation of the book.
No it's not. I very specifically noted that dumping the bit about her previously previously hanging out with seven dwarves was arguably a good idea, while (in a separate paragraph and argument) having her current gang be a bunch of nameless mooks was a bad one.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xander77 posted:

No it's not. I very specifically noted that dumping the bit about her previously previously hanging out with seven dwarves was arguably a good idea, while (in a separate paragraph and argument) having her current gang be a bunch of nameless mooks was a bad one.

I may have misunderstood, but it looked like you were saying that her seven men in the show where dwarves in the book, which they weren't. They weren't even dwarves. She had seven gnomes who ended up killing each other, then she got with the band she has now, which is who is in the show. If I misinterpreted your original point, then I apologize.

If you're saying that the dudes in the book had names and what not, and not so much in the show, then that is true, I think.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I'm picking the game up again after a year off having never finished it, i left off after doing the ugly dude thing with yennefer. I have a good chunk of side quests to do, so is there a point of no return or can you do all those side quests after finishing the main story?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

I may have misunderstood, but it looked like you were saying that her seven men in the show where dwarves in the book, which they weren't. They weren't even dwarves. She had seven gnomes who ended up killing each other, then she got with the band she has now, which is who is in the show. If I misinterpreted your original point, then I apologize.

If you're saying that the dudes in the book had names and what not, and not so much in the show, then that is true, I think.

really i feel like the bigger adaptational gently caress-up in the grand scheme of things was eliminating renfri threatening to murder the entire town (and stregobor refusing to come out of his tower anyway). i think one of the thugs spits out the name "tribadum ultimatum" real quick as an easter egg for the fans but otherwise it came across as geralt just trying to stop her personally from getting her revenge

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

really i feel like the bigger adaptational gently caress-up in the grand scheme of things was eliminating renfri threatening to murder the entire town (and stregobor refusing to come out of his tower anyway). i think one of the thugs spits out the name "tribadum ultimatum" real quick as an easter egg for the fans but otherwise it came across as geralt just trying to stop her personally from getting her revenge
She does say she's going to kill everyone in town until Strigobor comes down, but it's very quick and off-handed.

(And it happens after her ultimatum is already refused in the story. Man does the show goes out of its way to make her look worse)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, all the changes to Lesser Evil don’t make sense. I understand and appreciate changes if they fit the medium better, or to make it less confusing, or what have you, but some of these changes are head scratching.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Fenarisk posted:

I'm picking the game up again after a year off having never finished it, i left off after doing the ugly dude thing with yennefer. I have a good chunk of side quests to do, so is there a point of no return or can you do all those side quests after finishing the main story?

Hah I did exactly the same and was on exactly the same quest as you. I looked through the thread and there is apparently a clear point of no return but also you can complete a number of side quests after the end of the story (don't ask me which ones). Continuing Ugly Baby quest made me fail two quests (Follow The Thread and The Last Wish) but I reloaded and finished them. Now in Kaer Morhen, this game is so good I can't understand why I stopped playing and uninstalled.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wafflecop posted:

Hah I did exactly the same and was on exactly the same quest as you. I looked through the thread and there is apparently a clear point of no return but also you can complete a number of side quests after the end of the story (don't ask me which ones). Continuing Ugly Baby quest made me fail two quests (Follow The Thread and The Last Wish) but I reloaded and finished them. Now in Kaer Morhen, this game is so good I can't understand why I stopped playing and uninstalled.

I also stopped playing at this exact point and I don't know why either. I ended up just restarting because I hate jumping into the middle of games :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, all the changes to Lesser Evil don’t make sense. I understand and appreciate changes if they fit the medium better, or to make it less confusing, or what have you, but some of these changes are head scratching.

i also didn't like what they did to the borch story but absolutely understand that most of the cutting there was necessary to make it fit to a single episode

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also because the dragon animation was probably expensive which is why it just stands around in a t-pose and then breathes some flame like once

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

also because the dragon animation was probably expensive which is why it just stands around in a t-pose and then breathes some flame like once

How much the dragon animation cost, they got ripped off by the studio that did it. It looked beyond awful. It’s mouth didn’t even move when it spoke.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cowcaster posted:

I've said this before, but they should've removed the Borch story and used A Shard of Ice instead. They already have Istredd and he's at a dig site and it could've been an involving story with much less CGI. Maybe do the Borch one in season 2 when they have the CGI budget to make it work. For the most part, I thought the special effects in the entire season were very good, except for that drat dragon.

Atlas Risen posted:

How much the dragon animation cost, they got ripped off by the studio that did it. It looked beyond awful. It’s mouth didn’t even move when it spoke.

This comes up a lot, but the dragon is speaking telepathically and intentionally using its human voice. It's not a CG issue.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Play thronebreaker, it's really really good. You can even skip the card battles if it's not your thing.

I already have, and I want more.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is Thronebreaker just a Gwent game or is it a CRPG?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yes!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's a full RPG (though there is some squishiness around just how RPG it gets in places) with gwent for all its combat and a fair bit of visual novel and CYOA shoved in there to boot. It's very good, even as someone who has exactly no time for gwent.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Orv posted:

with gwent for all its combat

Stop drilling, you've hit oil. Sold.

Would have bought during the last sale if I had known.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I've said this before, but they should've removed the Borch story and used A Shard of Ice instead. They already have Istredd and he's at a dig site and it could've been an involving story with much less CGI. Maybe do the Borch one in season 2 when they have the CGI budget to make it work. For the most part, I thought the special effects in the entire season were very good, except for that drat dragon.

This comes up a lot, but the dragon is speaking telepathically and intentionally using its human voice. It's not a CG issue.

Oh, I didn’t know it communicated telepathically. It still looked like poo poo though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Atlas Risen posted:

Oh, I didn’t know it communicated telepathically. It still looked like poo poo though.

In the book it's communicating with all of the hunters and sort of challenging them, the show changed/excised a lot of that including an explanation of how the dragon was communicating.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Stop drilling, you've hit oil. Sold.

Would have bought during the last sale if I had known.

For people who are unaware: it's the standalone gwent so it plays very differently from Witcher 3 gwent. In fact it plays pretty different from current standalone gwent since Thronebreaker is built around a much earlier iteration.

I enjoyed the game but some of the card battles can be a bit boring and the game has basically zero challenge towards the end.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Sold.

I kinda figured I wouldn’t enjoy it since I’ve never played Gwent (250 hours in TW3 though!) but it’s good to know I can just skip that if I hate it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Fenarisk posted:

There is a point of return where it gives you a pop-up so you cannot miss it. It won't fail all side-quests if you go anyway, just some that have the plots affected. You are fairly close to that point. I hope you haven't wasted too much time on sidequests to save Ciri.

You killed Ciri by wasting time, you monster

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 7, 2020

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is the mod list in the 2nd post still current? is there anything else people think should be added?

Is there an easy place to get mods? I've not played since before the first expansion and thinking of starting a NG+ run.

tithin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 7, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One I've really been enjoying is called No Levels. It changes the item leveling system to instead use fixed armor and damage ratings for each item so if you don't want to use Witcher Gear the non Witcher items are still viable. Obviously Witcher Gear is still superior but now swords and other weapons can stack up pretty well against crafted items. It sure makes Crach giving you a family heirloom or Hattori's reward sword more valuable than just selling them for cash.

It also plays nice with most mods but if you use Nitpicker and Besserwisser you'll need to make some merged patches.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

tithin posted:

Is the mod list in the 2nd post still current? is there anything else people think should be added?

Is there an easy place to get mods? I've not played since before the first expansion and thinking of starting a NG+ run.

Most mods are hosted on the nexus

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher

Edit: fix url

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
bf got me Witcher 3 for xmas, my first Witcher game, and I started playing it today and

um

holy moly stop beating me with tutorials

For a casual 1st playthrough how much of it is important? I'm already lost between having a steel sword for monsters and a silver sword for ghosts and having to apply an oil to your weapon while you chug down some bread and water while dodging enemy attacks to throw bombs at them that you previously crafted from collecting 20 different plants from the countryside :psyboom: and I only just killed the griffin after 3 hours of gameplay running around looting everything on sight and wondering how much of it will be useful or not

Also how smart is the auto sheath function? Does it take out the appropiate sword for the type of enemy you are fighting? Or is it better if you manually sheath/unsheath?

And regarding Oils and Potions, they both say they have charges, but I can't craft anymore. Do I have to first completely use them before being able to craft more?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 7, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

lezard_valeth posted:

Also how smart is the auto sheath function? Does it take out the appropiate sword for the type of enemy you are fighting? Or is it better if you manually sheath/unsheath?

That's what it's for. You can turn it off, but I assume you don't want to.

There's a mod for auto applying oil, or a mod for auto applying oils but only for monsters you have in your codex (apparently). The latter at least doesn't ignore the whole idea of preparing yourself before a monster hunt.

You craft potions once and they recharge when you meditate. Same with bombs or any other Witcher consumable.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

lezard_valeth posted:

And regarding Oils and Potions, they both say they have charges, but I can't craft anymore. Do I have to first completely use them before being able to craft more?

Nope. Just meditate and they'll replenish on their own.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 7, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

lezard_valeth posted:

It's a big game so it can feel a little overwhelming at first, but I promise you, you are in for a hell of a good ride.

You only need to craft the recipe once.
To replenish your stock all you need is some alcohol in your inventory, Dwarven Spirit is everywhere, so loot the poo poo out of that. Then all you need to do is meditate and it will refill all your oils and potions. You don't even need to have used them all first, it'll just take you back up to your max amount. On lower levels it will heal you too.

Feel free to ask anything you need in here, we know the game well and we love helping people out and hearing what they think about the game on their first play through.

Helith fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

How does NG+ work?

I had a game that was completd prior to the expansions coming out.
Do I get to reroll my W1 / 2 choices? I didn't have Letho alive in my W2 save and would like to see that play out in W3.