Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

When was it ever in doubt that it was the sun

It only ever came up when people started that imperial flag whining, so some tried to rationalize it's a flower or something.
It just a hanafuda card with added rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Relin posted:

so the earrings are the sun. adds fuel to the imperial flag fire

lmao

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

My hot take on the imperial flag aspect: I don't think Gotogue is a nationalist but also the rayless version on Chinese and Korean tv is such a small change that makes a lot of people feel better so why not (fanart removes them a lot too)

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Muzan is defeated, the demons are eradicated - fully ushering Japan in modernity. Without a purpose, the aristocratically inclined demon slayers are recruited by the Taisho imperial regime. The epilogue has Tanjiro, Zenitsu and Inosuke fighting the Germans in Manchuria, with rumors of new 'demons' coming to power far to the west in St. Petersburg.

(please no)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There is still the mystery of how that doctor concocted the demon-creating serum that changed Muzan. Could it be from a source in the West? Who knows.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mraagvpeine posted:

There is still the mystery of how that doctor concocted the demon-creating serum that changed Muzan. Could it be from a source in the West? Who knows.
The doctor looked like a taoist medicine man.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:3: + :swoon: + :black101: =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkh8QiMA-MI

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chapter 187

Yoriichi was pretty op. I guess the reason Tamayo is the only demon to have escaped Muzan's control on their own is because he was near death at the time.

Anyway I'm guessing when Muzan is dealt a fatal blow in the present he'll try this exploding trick again but it'll fail because Tanjiro isn't alone like Yoriichi was.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 16, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, that's still a lot of really important info that was conveyed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Extreme speaker blowout warning on this one.

Muzan tries to self-destruct

Tanjirou:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/588961077455224833/656453673286762496/ezgif-1-11c00cd255ce.mp4

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 17, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't think discord attachments work if you're not a member of the discord they were posted in because none of them ever work for me.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

:smith:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Also no wonder Muzan has hanafuda earring PTSD, you walk up to some random demon slayer who you probably expect to OHKO and then he slices all your vital points at once, and even when you burst into nearly 2,000 pieces he almost counters that too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Want more tragedy? Have some details on Akaza's past.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/768757/1

This is some hosed up poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sindai posted:

I don't think discord attachments work if you're not a member of the discord they were posted in because none of them ever work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MK2TKFFtQA&t=106s

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the backstory in this latest chapter feels kinda rushed to me. like the author forgot to do it earlier and realized they were running out of time

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

the backstory in this latest chapter feels kinda rushed to me. like the author forgot to do it earlier and realized they were running out of time

That's the whole current arc.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Manatee Cannon posted:

I noticed that rush feel as far back as the spider demons.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah that was rough.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sindai posted:

Yeah that was rough.

Yeah there are apparently ten ranks in the slayer corps according to what the boy twin said after the selection, but that never got fleshed out, nor did any of the lower moons before they were unceremoniously killed off by Muzan. There have been other points like the Red Light District Arc feeling really long or the mountain defense and the training arcs before and after feeling kind of jumbled. It's been fun as hell don't get me wrong, but you can tell it's the authors first real long story and they're playing fast and loose with ideas and concepts being brought up out of the blue and sometimes discarded just as quickly as they were brought up.

Edit: Hitman Reborn. That's the series this reminds of in that regard

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 22, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While I have enjoyed this latest arc, it's a bit of a shame. All three of the top Upper Moons could have easily supported their own arc.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

While I have enjoyed this latest arc, it's a bit of a shame. All three of the top Upper Moons could have easily supported their own arc.

An arc about Doma the cult ice guy would have been dope as hell with him having an actual cult of humans or demons who literally believe he's a divine servant. Akaza and Kokushibo being enforcers is fine since they always felt the most solitary of the groups, but we never got anything on the Biwa lady and the former Thunder Breath apprentice turned Demon should have been better introduced and fleshed out. You kind of have to go around into info tidbits to get the gist of who he was(he was the kid who let the demons into the blind guys temple).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Muzan rolling up an entire mook division is actually one of my favorite parts of the series. Any other shonen would've had them fight the entire group of lower moons and then been like "lol, those guys we spent a zillion arcs on were poo poo. Now the real dark souls starts".

Instead Tanjirou gives literally everything he has to NOT QUITE defeat a lower ranking lower moon, then Muzan rolls them all up out of frustration.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Maybe now that its a success they can add an arc or two to the anime to flush out some of the other characters like the cult upper moon and the background lightening breathe guy rather then just having them shownup for 5 minutes and dieing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if more of the upper moons had gone down then muzan would probably have disappeared for a generation or two. he was lured out, not tracked down.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know this is the manga thread, but if you have the chance to catch the Toonami broadcast/reruns of the dub, do it. Like people give Greg Chun crap for sounding kinda samey in a buncha things, but goddamn can he bring in the creepy and dadgum was he good as Muzan. Also Zach Aguilar is phenomenal so far as Tanjiro.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo, I thought people were dropping this chapter. I was looking at this page and I could've sworn Giyu got chopped in half

https://i.imgur.com/1RhAXex.jpg

Stupid Haori throwing me off.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

These last-minute realizations not really changing my thoughts on anything other than I wish I had more time with these side characters who will probably die soon. I feel like the last volume has a lot of background info that is just info dumped and I just ... don't feel the connection.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Muzan's immediate move to track down Nezuko and begin his attack makes sense but I still would've also enjoyed getting more time seeing Tokito and Genya hanging out with everyone.

Also, stop with the loving near-deaths on Kanroji already, you've already killed Shinobu and Nezuko's barely a character as it is.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It feels like we needed a couple extra volumes before this but we're committed now sadly.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I just caught up with the series, and while what we have gotten is excellent, I do feel it's all rushed, and unnecessarily. I hope whoever said that the anime might flesh out the story more is right, and hopefully with careful notes from Gotōge.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

Also, stop with the loving near-deaths on Kanroji already, you've already killed Shinobu and Nezuko's barely a character as it is.
You kill a character who's been voiced by HanaKana, you risk a rabid fandom descending upon you to take your head. Made-up Fandom Rules, nothing that can be done. Sorry. :shobon:

I applaud Gotoge's moxie in poking the nest, though!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://manganelo.com/chapter/kimetsu_no_yaiba/chapter_189

Even Giyu is being pushed back!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
:catdrugs:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Noo the Cat.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If you think you feel sad now wait until next chapter when we get the cat's flashback

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sindai posted:

If you think you feel sad now wait until next chapter when we get the cat's flashback

you think you're joking but i am absolutely confident we'll get some kind of 'what has the deus ex catchina been doing since we completely dropped that entire plotline'

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sindai posted:

omg idk if i could handle that info :sigh:

A photo of better days from the past.

Alder fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 7, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alder posted:

omg idk if i could handle that info :sigh:

A photo of better days from the past.

Can't wait for the flashback for him and his brother Chomonosuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh no it's that cat :(