Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

My parents’ cat has been through the same thing. She’d crawl on the floor, trying not to be seen, and just generally be moody.

Cats are proud creatures, and will clearly feel shame when they’re bested.

What I’m saying is: don’t show your cat Cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

goodog posted:

Has there been any concept art or storyboards of what the cats were supposed to look like?
I am in desperate need of a 25-pound hardcover coffee table book that costs $80 and is called something like CATS: FROM STAGE TO SCREEN.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Vicious is good as hell

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Bogus Adventure posted:

Isn't Victoria supposed to be eternally pondering that third name?

Victoria is a non speaking part in the stage version. In the play, the naming of cats is directed at the audience. The framing shift does make it a little weird because it make Victoria into a short of ingenue to make her the protagonist, so I guess you could interpret it b like that.

I'm thinking about this too much.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I honestly think the film makes the story much cleaner and clearer and more comprehensible than the musical. Like it's still cat's and it's still terrible but it feels like in the movie there is a pretty straightforward reason for the events that happen while the play has so many "and then THIS HAPPENED" moments. All the events are real real dumb in the movie, but it feels like it did more than the musical to give reasons why the various cats were singing what and when they did.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

caligulamprey posted:

I am in desperate need of a 25-pound hardcover coffee table book that costs $80 and is called something like CATS: FROM STAGE TO SCREEN.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Little Death posted:

Victoria is a non speaking part in the stage version. In the play, the naming of cats is directed at the audience. The framing shift does make it a little weird because it make Victoria into a short of ingenue to make her the protagonist, so I guess you could interpret it b like that.

I'm thinking about this too much.

I was expecting the movie to try for a plot of her looking for a name and ending with a new song where she declares her jellicle name but instead we got judi dench cat sing to us they aren't dogs

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

this is drawn like "that one comic garfield kills an old lady"

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Having thought about it for a while, here is my interpretation of the film.

- The cats are in a purgatory realm waiting to be reborn. As evidenced by the lack of any humans and the cat-themed advertisements at the beginning, this is not the real world. The human who dumps Victoria at the start is a psychopomp, equivalent to Charon the ferryman.

- Since cats have nine lives, this is where they go between lives - the bardo of Tibetan Buddhism - but these cats are trapped because they have proven themselves mediocre according to cat standards. To be reborn they must prove their worth as cats, hence why they make such a literal song and dance about it.

- The heaviside layer is the living world. 'Jellicle' is 'evangelical' e.g. they are literally seeking to be born again. Basically the whole film is to cats what 'The Waste Land' is to humans. "I had not thought death had undone so many", etc

- A lot of these cats have been here a long time, as evidenced by the line about them being alive when the Pharaoh built the sphinx, serving the pied piper, and so on

- the term 'heaviside layer' implies there are other layers - purgatory is one, but below it is also a lower layer for truly evil cats. The Inferno of Dante or the naraka realm of Buddhism.

- Macavity comes from this hell layer. He has probably tricked his way into purgatory and is now trying to do the same thing to get back to the living world. Like Satan in the Bible, he can't really harm anyone, only tempt or terrorise them (I'm not 100% sure but I think it is always Growltiger who actually threatens the other cats with violence.)

- Mr. Mistopheles is a demon from the hell layer as well (Mistopheles = Mephistopheles). But he is seeking redemption the correct way, through humility. We can infer that in this world only demons can use magic, which would fit with the medieval Christian worldview.

- Old Deuteronomy is a bodhisattva, an enlightened soul who has sworn not to leave the cycle of rebirth until all other souls have been enlightened also. Or in Cats terms, she will not leave Purgatory until everyone else has. This explains why she has lived 99 lives instead of the normal 9.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sailor Viy posted:

Having thought about it for a while, here is my interpretation of the film.

- The cats are in a purgatory realm waiting to be reborn. As evidenced by the lack of any humans and the cat-themed advertisements at the beginning, this is not the real world. The human who dumps Victoria at the start is a psychopomp, equivalent to Charon the ferryman.

- Since cats have nine lives, this is where they go between lives - the bardo of Tibetan Buddhism - but these cats are trapped because they have proven themselves mediocre according to cat standards. To be reborn they must prove their worth as cats, hence why they make such a literal song and dance about it.

- The heaviside layer is the living world. 'Jellicle' is 'evangelical' e.g. they are literally seeking to be born again. Basically the whole film is to cats what 'The Waste Land' is to humans. "I had not thought death had undone so many", etc

- A lot of these cats have been here a long time, as evidenced by the line about them being alive when the Pharaoh built the sphinx, serving the pied piper, and so on

- the term 'heaviside layer' implies there are other layers - purgatory is one, but below it is also a lower layer for truly evil cats. The Inferno of Dante or the naraka realm of Buddhism.

- Macavity comes from this hell layer. He has probably tricked his way into purgatory and is now trying to do the same thing to get back to the living world. Like Satan in the Bible, he can't really harm anyone, only tempt or terrorise them (I'm not 100% sure but I think it is always Growltiger who actually threatens the other cats with violence.)

- Mr. Mistopheles is a demon from the hell layer as well (Mistopheles = Mephistopheles). But he is seeking redemption the correct way, through humility. We can infer that in this world only demons can use magic, which would fit with the medieval Christian worldview.

- Old Deuteronomy is a bodhisattva, an enlightened soul who has sworn not to leave the cycle of rebirth until all other souls have been enlightened also. Or in Cats terms, she will not leave Purgatory until everyone else has. This explains why she has lived 99 lives instead of the normal 9.

The only problem I see with this is that you're implying Skimbleshanks is mediocre.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sailor Viy posted:

There's actually a point where everything changes from the normal human things to cat themed.
Like, Macavity's wanter poster is originally for Moriarty.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sailor Viy posted:

'heaviside layer'

the heaviside layer is the boundary in the atmosphere that shortwave radio bounces off which is just named after a guy named mr heaviside. And it's the sort of thing someone in the 1930s when practical cats was written and people talked about shortwave radios a lot would know and someone nearly a century later would think of as a weird mysterious word.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The one problem is that Macavity does not tempt Skimbleshanks. He just makes him disappear.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

the heaviside layer is the boundary in the atmosphere that shortwave radio bounces off which is just named after a guy named mr heaviside. And it's the sort of thing someone in the 1930s when practical cats was written and people talked about shortwave radios a lot would know and someone nearly a century later would think of as a weird mysterious word.

I didn't know that. That's really cool.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

angerbeet posted:

Vicious is good as hell

Yep. That made me want to see Vicious again.

The series of Judi Dench answering machine messages played over the closing credits was one of so many highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBdxMpYTT94

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
I still have no idea why Skimbleshanks wanted to be reborn, since his life seemed pretty much perfect already. Dude loves his job, everybody loves him, and unlike Gus or Grizabella he's still young, healthy, and at the top of his game. What was he planning to do if he was chosen, just keep being a railway cat, but... even moreso?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Obviously to join the Starlight Express.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I'm pretty sure that in the song, it's being reborn on the heaviside layer. Maybe as some sort of transcendental cat, made of short-wave radio signals.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe it's less 'my life sucks, I want a new one' and more 'I just mastered trains, time for a new skillset'

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I think in the musical the cats are there for a variety of reasons, they don’t all have a death wish. Some of them are there to be chosen but some like Victoria are basically there to gently caress (hence the weird cat orgy part), some are there to big themselves up for future leadership, some want to entertain Deuteronomy, and some are just there to yell about how great they are cause they’re cats

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think attendance is mandatory, that more or less all the jellicle tribe cats are supposed to come to the ball once a year and tell their god king their achivements. Like all the other unshown cats sang their own lame songs at some point off screen, or they rotate years and every cat comes up once a decade or whatever. Like Skimbleshanks didn't necessarily want to win, but if he's gonna sing a song about how great he is he's ready for that.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Yeah, Munkustrap especially doesn't really get a number to himself and doesn't seem to have any intent to leave, but he assists in a bunch of other songs and generally has a leader vibe, so they can't all be there to die.

Or at least he does in the musical, no idea about the movie.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...a92f_story.html

quote:

Hundreds of people told The Post their stories about seeing “Cats” while high — some on marijuana, others on psilocybin mushrooms, LSD and other mind-altering substances.

Here are their reviews:

“The most incredible cinematic experience of my life.”

“The most terrifying experience of my life. I swear to God my soul escaped me.”

“Cried both times. Planning on going two more times.”

“Vomited four times but ultimately understood the film on a deep level.”

“Had a panic attack in the middle of it . . . right after Taylor Swift sang ‘Macavity.’ ”

“When Judi Dench turned and looked me directly in the eyes to let me know that a cat is not a dog, I was terrified.”

It was unclear, on balance, whether getting high made “Cats” better, or much, much worse.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/adamjmoussa/status/1214374038107234304

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Asgerd posted:

I still have no idea why Skimbleshanks wanted to be reborn, since his life seemed pretty much perfect already. Dude loves his job, everybody loves him, and unlike Gus or Grizabella he's still young, healthy, and at the top of his game. What was he planning to do if he was chosen, just keep being a railway cat, but... even moreso?

Space force

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i have become.. a cats

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i shall mew

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I thought you were pulling our legs for a minute, but looked it up, and sure enough! Agree with Bogus Adventure, that's really cool and interesting.

Dude kinda looks like a cat, with that hair.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
“I vomited four times”. gently caress off no you didn’t,hate that poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm estimating that maybe one possibly two of those people actually took drugs.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I took drugs but I wasn't at Cats the movie, just saw the musical like twenty years ago and I was a small child at the time

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/jpbrammer/status/1214260093996425218

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“I vomited four times”. gently caress off no you didn’t,hate that poo poo.

Have you... ever done shrooms before? Violent puking is kind of a thing that happens and is usually the sign that it's working.

e: That said, they probably would've puked like that with or without the movie if that's what they did.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I saw CATS on LSD before anyone and didn’t get any clout and it was not an experience I could describe in a single blurb.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Before being magicked off by Macavity, Skimbleshanks was well on his way to twirling to the Heaviside layer, showing that he doesn't need the ritual to ascend, he was just there to have a good time.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Train cat was the Tom bombadil of cats

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Train cat was the Tom bombadil of cats

This is a a very time to invoke Tom Bombaildillo but ok accepted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4kNP2sFwKc

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

wyoming posted:

Before being magicked off by Macavity, Skimbleshanks was well on his way to twirling to the Heaviside layer, showing that he doesn't need the ritual to ascend, he was just there to have a good time.

He's actually appealing to have the Heaviside Layer added as a stop for his train

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1214707113412313089?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/ENjzYhhU4AApYku.mp4