Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1214320553038884864?s=19

Pro: that makes Senate seat up for grabs

Con: increased chance of the obliteration of all mankind by an evangelical zealot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Which is kinda weird since what brought Gaddafi down was an internal civil war and allied airpower. What was he going to do, nuke Benghazi?

that civil war goes nowhere without the West and the US literally doing the heavy lifting

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

that civil war goes nowhere without the West and the US literally doing the heavy lifting

And Caro.

I really hope Caro got the treatment he needed.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Tythas posted:

I'm sure they have, However the law as it's written at the moment doesnt help when it bans pretty much every weapon that can take a magazine, (more specifically anything that can accept a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.) which means every weapons save revolvers a few pump action shotguns that hold 7 rounds or less and some bolt action rifles would be banned. With no grandfather clause either

I guess it depends on the meaning of "magazine". My assault shotgun uses a drum to hold 50 shells, so it's technically protected :)

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Odradek posted:

If I was an Iranian leader, I would follow the wisdom that "The U.S. won't invade a country with nuclear weapons." Worked pretty good for 'lil Kim.

Didn’t go so well for UBL though

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A drum style magazine is still a magazine dude

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
They don't even call them magazines in most states. They call them "ammunition feeding devices," so that means you can't even have a belt fed gun and put more than 10 links together lmao

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Trump Administration Blocks Iran’s Top Diplomat From Addressing the U.N. Security Council

Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif had sought to give a speech condemning the U.S. assassination of Qassem Suleimani.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/06/trump-administration-blocks-iran-foreign-minister-zarif-addressing-un-security-council/

quote:

he Trump administration is barring Iran’s top diplomat from entering the United States this week to address the United Nations Security Council about the U.S. assassination of Iran’s top military official in Baghdad, violating the terms of a 1947 headquarters agreement requiring Washington to permit foreign officials into the country to conduct U.N. business, according to three diplomatic sources.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif requested a visa a “few weeks ago” to enter the United States to attend a Jan. 9 Security Council meeting on the importance of upholding the U.N. Charter, according to a diplomatic source familiar with the matter.

The Thursday meeting was to provide Tehran’s top diplomat with his first opportunity to directly address the world community since U.S. President Donald Trump ordered the Jan. 3 drone strike that killed Maj. Gen. Qassem Suleimani, a top Iraqi militia leader, among others.

The Iranian government was awaiting word on the visa Monday when a Trump administration official phoned U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres to inform him that the United States would not allow Zarif into the country, according to the Washington-based diplomatic source.

The move comes as the United States and Iran engaged in tit-for-tat recriminations over the killing of Suleimani. Trump tweeted over the weekend that if Iran retaliates for Suleimani’s death, it will face U.S. attacks on 52 targets—the number of hostages held by Iran in 1979. “Let this serve as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans, or American assets, we have … targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD,” he said. “The USA wants no more threats!”

Tehran, meanwhile, announced Sunday it was ending its commitment to limit enrichment of uranium as part of its 2015 nuclear deal, which Trump pulled out of in 2018 and then followed up by reimposing tough sanctions on Iran. 

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Uhmmmm.... what do you need 50 shells for?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
50 deer obviously

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

30-50 feral hogs?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Because it's America.

That answer works in many, many different ways, so please don't interpret this as bringing in gunchat. It's just a way to get some type of clarity in our confusing world. I mean, can you imagine what the Iraqis are thinki-

https://twitter.com/ErinBanco/status/1214328556865634304

oh

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I don't even own a shotgun, although my brother said he is thinking of giving me one. Virginia's current gun laws have a section for "center-fire pistols and rifles", which cannot have a magazine holding more than 20 rounds, and a section for shotguns, which may not have a magazine thatvholds more than 7 shells.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh you were speaking hypothetically

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That attack on the base in Kenya left one American servicemember, and 2 contractors dead. 2 other servicemembers were injured.

Several planes and pieces of equipment were destroyed.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/31721/3-americans-dead-6-aircraft-destroyed-or-damaged-including-a-rare-spy-plane-in-kenya-attack

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

*Donnie sees a video of the Bamiyan Buddhas being blown up
"DUUUURRR THAT IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA!!"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If the Aviation weirdos on twitter are correct, the two airplanes destroyed were some really important ELINT type things, too

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

That attack on the base in Kenya left one American servicemember, and 2 contractors dead. 2 other servicemembers were injured.

Several planes and pieces of equipment were destroyed.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/31721/3-americans-dead-6-aircraft-destroyed-or-damaged-including-a-rare-spy-plane-in-kenya-attack

Why are insurgents attacking military forces on a military base described as terrorists committing a terror attack?

e: Obviously the military press release is doing that, why is the news playing along?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why are insurgents attacking military forces on a military base described as terrorists committing a terror attack?

e: Obviously the military press release is doing that, why is the news playing along?

Agreed. Attacking US military equipment and personnel is not terrorism. It's just an attack on a valid target.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Because as far as the news people are concerned "terrorism" is when brown people engage in violence, near as I can tell.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

Because it's America.

That answer works in many, many different ways, so please don't interpret this as bringing in gunchat. It's just a way to get some type of clarity in our confusing world. I mean, can you imagine what the Iraqis are thinki-

https://twitter.com/ErinBanco/status/1214328556865634304

oh

Wtf

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

:thunk:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I read this thread because I find it an excellent source of news, but occasionally it seems like it has to be some sort of elaborate joke I'm simply not in on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Leavemywife posted:

I read this thread because I find it an excellent source of news, but occasionally it seems like it has to be some sort of elaborate joke I'm simply not in on.

American politics is an elaborate joke which you may or may not be in on.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I get what you're going for, but Al Shabaab is a designated terrorist group for good reason - they've committed terror attacks against Somali, Kenyan, Ethiopoan civilians, and have planned and attempted attacks against the U.S.

So they're both a terrorist group and an insurgent group.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Crakkerjakk posted:

Because as far as the news people are concerned "terrorism" is when brown people engage in violence, near as I can tell.

Most of the folks in Kenya and Somalia are black.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

https://twitter.com/EliClifton/status/1214348646159978497?s=20

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What will it take to get Stephens fired from the NYT. God he loving sucks.

I dunno if any of you guys are following the Hofeller documents stuff (https://www.npr.org/2020/01/05/785672201/deceased-gop-strategists-daughter-makes-files-public-that-republicans-wanted-sea) but this is a document that got pulled out of what was released publicly yesterday:

The archive is littered with hosed up poo poo like that, it's stunning that these are being made public now. It's everything people suspected but couldn't necessarily prove re: voter ID and gerrymandering.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Leavemywife posted:

Whole world is a joke there, chief. We're just a darker shade of jaded in here, but that helps when deciphering bullshit news because we're used to being lied to about most poo poo. An enlistment is an eye-opener if you pay enough attention. It's almost like the military is an organization that breeds distrust among its members.

It's nice having civvies around in the thread, because you guys get exposed a little to our crazy, or those of us who are, and maybe that helps change the stigma some of us carry. When people categorically shovel us all into the babykiller or republican or hatemonger piles, it's nice that at least a few outsiders can see what parts of us remain relatively human. We're people too, just lied to so often that it becomes hard to determine what is and what isn't, at times.

Some of us have let the lying break our brains and just don't give a gently caress anymore. Send the bombers, Vlad, I could use a little midnight sunshine.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Flying_Crab posted:

I dunno if any of you guys are following the Hofeller documents stuff (https://www.npr.org/2020/01/05/785672201/deceased-gop-strategists-daughter-makes-files-public-that-republicans-wanted-sea) but this is a document that got pulled out of what was released publicly yesterday:

The archive is littered with hosed up poo poo like that, it's stunning that these are being made public now. It's everything people suspected but couldn't necessarily prove re: voter ID and gerrymandering.

As a North Carolinian, this poo poo interests me greatly.

NCGOP were trying to have these documents destroyed.

edit: https://www.bpr.org/post/nc-gop-pushes-back-redistricting-allegations

dubzee fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 7, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Flying_Crab posted:

Yeah the entire GOP voter suppression plan is a million little(and some not so little) changes that as a whole aren't awful but when put together do their absolute damndest to make it near impossible for anyone not white or rich to vote.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hekk posted:

Most of the folks in Kenya and Somalia are black.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Leavemywife posted:

I mean, sorta

https://twitter.com/damianpaletta/status/1214372684357914624?s=19

Like, how exactly can you not think of "America is going to sanction country it's occupying and allied with" as a weird punch line to something?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's just crack/ping on a massive scale.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
You guys remember that disease that killed all those Chinese pigs? I wonder if it's related to the mysterious pneumonia sweeping Wuhan!

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/1/6/21051589/wuhan-china-outbreak

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kesper North posted:

You guys remember that disease that killed all those Chinese pigs? I wonder if it's related to the mysterious pneumonia sweeping Wuhan!

I thought the Chinese pigs were all getting molotoved by Hong Kong student protesters. :confused:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's nice having civvies around in the thread, because you guys get exposed a little to our crazy, or those of us who are, and maybe that helps change the stigma some of us carry. When people categorically shovel us all into the babykiller or republican or hatemonger piles, it's nice that at least a few outsiders can see what parts of us remain relatively human. We're people too, just lied to so often that it becomes hard to determine what is and what isn't, at times.

as a civvie, I appreciate you letting me shitpost with you. GIP is good posting.

I think my favorite part of the Hofeller documents stuff is that the only reason they're getting released is Hofeller's widow gave the daughter a bag of hard drives and said "take them, i don't want them."

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kesper North posted:

Chinese farmers have jammers set up on their farms to stop gangs from sending drones with pig flu onto the farms.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/12/23/chinese-pig-farm-attempts-block-criminal-drones-signal-jammer/

Brute Squad posted:

as a civvie, I appreciate you letting me shitpost with you. GIP is good posting.

I think my favorite part of the Hofeller documents stuff is that the only reason they're getting released is Hofeller's widow gave the daughter a bag of hard drives and said "take them, i don't want them."

omfg get this nasty civi out of here OUR CLUB HOUSE!!!

edit : LOL bye fyad

ded fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 7, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm kinda surprised by the civilian populace we draw here. I know a good chunk of goons see us as generally gun happy assholes or wannabe cops (cops wish they were mil, taking all our hand-me-downs) or kowtowing some right wing line in their heads, but that's quite oppositely displayed here on a daily basis. I'm proud of this little mil subforum, lots of smart and thoughtful folk, even if it is hidden behind a few more shades of gray. Thanks civvie readers and posters, for not judging us so quickly and tossing us in with right wing assholes subconsciously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ded posted:

Chinese farmers have jammers set up on their farms to stop gangs from sending drones with pig flu onto the farms.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/12/23/chinese-pig-farm-attempts-block-criminal-drones-signal-jammer/

omfg get this nasty civi out of here OUR CLUB HOUSE!!!

edit : LOL bye fyad

Ok boomer

Ex boomer I guess