Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Neo Rasa posted:

Did you read the Dune prequel novels?

Fair point but at least we can blame the Son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've always assumed that Anderson wrote all of those books and Brian Herbert's job was to have Frank Herbert's son's name on the cover.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Do you think political cartoonists called him Poopatine at any point, then Darth Shittiest

Somebody from a discord I'm in suggested "Darth Hideous".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Darth Icky was just Palpatine all along too.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

2house2fly posted:

The funny thing is, I don't think episode 3 ever definitively established that Palpatine was Sidious either. Like there's never a bit where he says "yes, I am Darth Sidious" or a scene where Darth Sidious is hologramming with someone and it cuts to his end and he pulls down his hood to reveal that it's Palpatine. Maybe Palpatine has an evil twin brother?! Always two there are!

It never really was a mystery as it was obvious that Palpatine was Sidious from the very beginning. It is a mystery to the characters but not the audience.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

All the star wars lore kinda melts together in my head but when Ep1 premiered I already knew the Emperors name was Palpatine, and honestly I thought this was common knowledge even back then? But I was also knee deep in EU stuff like vidja games, novels and comic books, so to hear people wonder if it wad the same person was like going to a superman movie and have someone ask if that Clark Kent fella was actually Superman

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Every one of Palpatine's relationships is predicated on them not knowing the whole story, so it would be very off-brand if he ever had a "And then I, Sheev Palpatine, who is actually the Sith Lord, Darth Sidious, shall..." moment.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

McCloud posted:

All the star wars lore kinda melts together in my head but when Ep1 premiered I already knew the Emperors name was Palpatine, and honestly I thought this was common knowledge even back then? But I was also knee deep in EU stuff like vidja games, novels and comic books, so to hear people wonder if it wad the same person was like going to a superman movie and have someone ask if that Clark Kent fella was actually Superman

Yeah, I was like 12ish when Episode I started to have its marketing blitz and knew Palpatine was the Emperor. I also assumed that was just common knowledge, and I had only just gotten into Star Wars because of the Special Edition theatrical releases just a few years prior.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He's never called Palpatine in the OT, but he is in the ROTJ novel. I remember reading it and instead of "you've failed, your highness" Luke says "you've failed, Palpatine"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Palpatine was also a play on Robert Palantine, the Senator in Taxi Driver running for President.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Too bad Sheev didn't launch the fleet out of the "no shields" gravity well first, THEN make his "surprise, motha fuckas" announcement to the galaxy the day after.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ultimately palpatine was done in by his inability to resist talking poo poo in fortnite. Finally a relatable villain in a star wars film

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GORDON posted:

Too bad Sheev didn't launch the fleet out of the "no shields" gravity well first, THEN make his "surprise, motha fuckas" announcement to the galaxy the day after.

The entire movie I was trying to figure out why, thinking, surely, it will be explained. But no, its JJ, things happen because he wants them to

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Grilling pablo in a police interrogation room in excruciating detail over whether and to what extent fortnite is canon

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pablo, Pablo, Pablo. I want to let you go, I really do, but you need to tell me what I want to know first. Are the prequels cannon? Answer me

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ultimately palpatine was done in by his inability to resist talking poo poo in fortnite. Finally a relatable villain in a star wars film

It will transpire he was the one talking smack to Korg in Endgame.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Barudak posted:

The entire movie I was trying to figure out why, thinking, surely, it will be explained. But no, its JJ, things happen because he wants them to

It’s because Palpatine’s primary goal is to lure Rey to the planet, so she can perform an assisted suicide / sex change on him.

Palpatine doesn’t particularly care if he beats the Resistance not. In fact, his goal is apparently for ‘Empress Palpatine’ to lead the Resistance towards galactic domination.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i'm watching attack of the clones, there's a line of obi-wan's when he's in the diner that is very telling

"well if droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?"

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

oh i just saw smg mentioned that in the other thread, whoops. here i was thinking i was finding something no one had talked about in a while

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zas posted:

oh i just saw smg mentioned that in the other thread, whoops. here i was thinking i was finding something no one had talked about in a while

We've analyzed the diner scene frame by frame. Each one is a masterpiece especially when one of the guy's hands scratches his rear end.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
[Plinkett voice] now I've analyzed this movie frame-by-frame with a team of gluttons

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neo Rasa posted:

I thought this wasn't super common but still a normal thing plenty of actors do. I'm surprised he got any poo poo for it at all.

He got dragged for quitting mid interview a little bit. It's not common as far as actors go, I'd imagine it's less to do with being a self serious actor and more to do with a bit of survivor's guilt/ptsd he's talked about having from his time in the marines.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s because Palpatine’s primary goal is to lure Rey to the planet, so she can perform an assisted suicide / sex change on him.

Palpatine doesn’t particularly care if he beats the Resistance not. In fact, his goal is apparently for ‘Empress Palpatine’ to lead the Resistance towards galactic domination.

But then decided against it when he discovered he could just suck her life out. :shrug: Just a little though.

I can't wait for the story of Palpatines son/daughter to be made. :allears: Dark greetings indeed.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
We recently adopted a dog called Dexter, so this is inevitably how he's greeted, Alec Guinness-knockoff accent and all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

But then decided against it when he discovered he could just suck her life out. :shrug: Just a little though.

I can't wait for the story of Palpatines TRICLOPS/TRIOCULUS to be made. :allears: Dark greetings indeed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He flat out doesn't need the ships to lure her there, he already has Kylo for that. Given in the film she goes to confront him sans any fleet or even communicating her plan directly, Id also be hard pressed to say her motivation is particularly driven by the fleet situation.

Further, Sheeev says the fleet will be hers if she accepts the ritual so I assume he would like to give her an intact one unless youre thinking hes so disconnected from any desire beyond having her be on exagol with ownership of the Sith.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I would unironically enjoy an animated series about The Jedi Prince and Galaxy of Fear series, in all their 90's glory

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

He flat out doesn't need the ships to lure her there, he already has Kylo for that. Given in the film she goes to confront him sans any fleet or even communicating her plan directly, Id also be hard pressed to say her motivation is particularly driven by the fleet situation.

Further, Sheeev says the fleet will be hers if she accepts the ritual so I assume he would like to give her an intact one unless youre thinking hes so disconnected from any desire beyond having her be on exagol with ownership of the Sith.

It's a stupid plan because somehow he was unable to find Rey until the heroes did in this movie instead of just finding her and raising her to be the ultimate Sith person ASAP.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's a good point. Plus, when she got old enough to ask what of her parents, he could have given her poo poo about how he had them killed and she would have struck him down in mega anger, prepetuating his cycle of hatred and violence.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Rey blocks out the part of her parents flying away where she gets so mad she pulls the ship out of the sky or zap it like chewie

"it seems in your anger you killed them [the filthy junk traders]"

whatever. JJ gets his extra reveal/emotional beat, Rey stays nobody, nothing else changes really

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Ingmar terdman posted:

Rey blocks out the part of her parents flying away where she gets so mad she pulls the ship out of the sky or zap it like chewie

"it seems in your anger you killed them [the filthy junk traders]"

whatever. JJ gets his extra reveal/emotional beat, Rey stays nobody, nothing else changes really

Theres gonna be Star Wars edits now which has her memories of her parents flying away intercut with Rey crashing Chewie. Unless this was already in the original and I just missed it, meaning JJ is a true auteur.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just want to edit an eye onto the back of her dad's head so everything makes sense.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm still incredibly red and mad about how bad and messy and dumb this movie was. Palpatine's secret son. Palpatine's secret granddaughter. Eat gently caress

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Pretty good posted:

Also I'm gonna lol when the knights of ren either don't show up in this movie at all or get unceremoniously ganked by Kylo in the opening scene and never mentioned again afterwards. Since they got completely cut from 8 I kinda get the impression they have no idea how to incorporate them.
Also I was kinda right lmao.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pretty good posted:

Also I was kinda right lmao.

While everyone saw this coming, I cant stop laughing at the random shot of them standing on a rock somewhere around where Rey and Kylo are and then not having any further purpose or even being shown again for the rest of the sequence.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Barudak posted:

While everyone saw this coming, I cant stop laughing at the random shot of them standing on a rock somewhere around where Rey and Kylo are and then not having any further purpose or even being shown again for the rest of the sequence.

One of them sneaks up to the old ship and presumably captures Chewie. So it's even worse because they're actually implied to have done something interesting in that sequence, but you don't get to see it. And seeing one or two of them rough up Chewie would've gone a long way to establishing that they're legitimately menacing and not just Kylo's spooky squad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It was funny that Rian Johnson didn't put them in episode 8 because he didn't want to waste them by doing to them exactly what ended up being done to them in episode 9

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Knights of Ren should have been the mooks killed in TLJ's awful throne room fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah that's precisely where he didn't want to use them- all those guards have to die so having them be the Knights would be a waste, and would also make it weird because of their personal connection to Kylo