Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The "RT-AC66U B1" (not to be confused with the RT-AC66U) will work fine with Merlin. You'd download the RT-AC68U firmware from the previously-linked list.

Found a better list of supported models, as well:
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Though if you don't mind having to dick around with resetting the modem occasionally, you'll get by a lot cheaper with a Netgear LB1120 LTE modem.

If it's a hangar, is this in continuous use? Put the modem and router on a switch-controlled outlet. Flip it on when there, flip it off when you leave. Or just leave it on and powercycle it every time it gives you trouble.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

That's the one I have and it's okay enough for my usage. There's no longer Merlin firmware for it, but Asus just released a new stock firmware for it in November. Also, if you do want to try Merlin on it someday, john9527's fork of Merlin supports that model.

astral posted:

The "RT-AC66U B1" (not to be confused with the RT-AC66U) will work fine with Merlin. You'd download the RT-AC68U firmware from the previously-linked list.

Found a better list of supported models, as well:
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

uh so is there merlin firmware for this or not? I just want a router that I can eventually install the astrill applet.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Apologies, I believe I have the non-B1 version.

Tirux
Apr 28, 2010

The wolf is at your door.
Hello guys,

I am recently having trouble with my WiFi network in my house. I have a cheesy old Linksys as my router located in my second floor, with a Netgear powerline connecting a TP-Link as an AP in my first floor. Both have the same SSID name, however, Linksys is using channel 9 and TP-Link is using channel 3. Both 2.4 GHz.

I thought wireless devices were "smart" enough to connect to the best connection by channel, but it doesn't seem the case. I just did a test with my Nintendo Switch, I re-enabled the WiFi twice standing besides my router but for some reason it prefers to connect to my TP-Link, which is on the first floor. This also happens with my smartphone. What gives?

Should I have different SSID names to prevent this issue? (Although it sucks that I would have to manually switch between WiFi from now on with my devices.)

I was also considering buying TP-Link Deco M4 to fix this issue, but not sure if I should pay that much for this trouble.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Tirux posted:

Hello guys,

I am recently having trouble with my WiFi network in my house. I have a cheesy old Linksys as my router located in my second floor, with a Netgear powerline connecting a TP-Link as an AP in my first floor. Both have the same SSID name, however, Linksys is using channel 9 and TP-Link is using channel 3. Both 2.4 GHz.

I thought wireless devices were "smart" enough to connect to the best connection by channel, but it doesn't seem the case. I just did a test with my Nintendo Switch, I re-enabled the WiFi twice standing besides my router but for some reason it prefers to connect to my TP-Link, which is on the first floor. This also happens with my smartphone. What gives?

Should I have different SSID names to prevent this issue? (Although it sucks that I would have to manually switch between WiFi from now on with my devices.)

I was also considering buying TP-Link Deco M4 to fix this issue, but not sure if I should pay that much for this trouble.

Don't use channels 3 or 9. Use 1, 6, or 11, with each device being on a different channel.

Also, how long a device hangs on to a particular AP's signal when there's a stronger signal available is largely dependent on the device.

Do both APs have the same capabilities? (IE: Both are wireless N and one isn't G, etc).

Tirux
Apr 28, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Don't use channels 3 or 9. Use 1, 6, or 11, with each device being on a different channel.

Also, how long a device hangs on to a particular AP's signal when there's a stronger signal available is largely dependent on the device.

Do both APs have the same capabilities? (IE: Both are wireless N and one isn't G, etc).

Thanks for the tip, I will change channels to 1 and 11 respectively.

Both are Wireless N, with channel width set to auto, and using network mode 11bgn mixed.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Tirux posted:

Both are Wireless N, with channel width set to auto, and using network mode 11bgn mixed.

Set the channel width the same on both, not to auto.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I found a setting in my Asus's advanced setting that kicks off devices if they get below a certain strength, which encourages them to connect to another signal, but haven't tried it. I'm sharing between the Asus and a UniFi AP.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tirux posted:

If you don't have any B or G devices set it to N-only. If you do have any B devices, throw them away. :v: (I realize that old Wii's or whatever only had B, which was pretty silly of them at the time.)

Tirux
Apr 28, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Set the channel width the same on both, not to auto.

Router only has 20MHz option, and TP-Link 20/40MHz. Guess both will use 20MHz.

I really think this might be time to buy a new router, mine is from 2016...

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tirux posted:

Router only has 20MHz option, and TP-Link 20/40MHz. Guess both will use 20MHz.

I really think this might be time to buy a new router, mine is from 2016...

Or get a couple Ubiquiti APs, they can help client handoff with the controller.

Tirux
Apr 28, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Or get a couple Ubiquiti APs, they can help client handoff with the controller.

Quite expensive compared to TP-Link Deco M4, but will check it out. Thanks for the help!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Don't use channels 3 or 9

Just to be sure, that's not general advice is it? I've got a single SSID, on one of those as it's ostensibly the least congested area of the spectrum.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Heners_UK posted:

Just to be sure, that's not general advice is it? I've got a single SSID, on one of those as it's ostensibly the least congested area of the spectrum.

2.4 GHz Wifi uses the channel its on and then overlaps the bands two channels in each direction (at 22MHz). So channel 1 will use from "-1" to 3, channel 6 uses 4 to 8, and 11 uses 9 to 13. Putting an AP in those intermediate channels may look like its in the clearest space on the spectrum but it's actually causing and getting twice the interference from any surrounding devices that are on the proper channels. You should definitely switch to the least congested channel of the three, you can check with an app like Wifi Analyzer.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

It is. Basically they never should have put in support for anything other than 1/6/12 in modern wifi firmwares but we all know how well that goes. Pick one and go with it, but seriously consider getting up to AC, you likely have very few devices which actually need old B/G crap. If they're IoT garbage consider throwing them away ( :v: )or using a dedicated SSID just for them and letting your nicer stuff have uncongested space.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Changed. Directly acted upon the advice of this thread.

Just to be sure, there's no gotchas for 5ghz?

Love it, had it for year,s but not fully understanding it did throw me off here.

H110Hawk posted:

Pick one and go with it, but seriously consider getting up to AC, you likely have very few devices which actually need old B/G crap. If they're IoT garbage consider throwing them away ( :v: )or using a dedicated SSID just for them and letting your nicer stuff have uncongested space.

Done by way of avoiding IoT crap on WiFi (generally I use Z Wave). I think I disabled 802.11b on the router (R7000 on Netgear FW) some time ago. EDIT: poo poo, I didn't because I cannot find a setting where I could... Yes I"m thinking of getting something better router wise.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 3, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Changed. Directly acted upon the advice of this thread.

Just to be sure, there's no gotchas for 5ghz?

Done by way of avoiding IoT crap on WiFi (generally I use Z Wave). I think I disabled 802.11b on the router (R7000 on Netgear FW) some time ago.

:toot: Changed channels

:toot: no IoT garbage

:toot: See if you can turn off G! (And yeah, as I recall 5GHz there's no trivial pitfalls.) (Careful if you have a Kindle or Chromecast or similar, I RMA'd one because it was G-Only and I jumped to N. Oops.)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the good thing about game consoles that only support B/G is that all their official online services were shuttered years ago, so there's no reason to go online anyway :v:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the good thing about game consoles that only support B/G is that all their official online services were shuttered years ago, so there's no reason to go online anyway :v:

The Nintendo New 2DS was just released 2 years ago and still only supports B/G and still has an active store and online mode unfortunately.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

never change, nintendo :allears:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm about to move into a big, multi story house.

What are the go-to WiFI mesh solutions?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Do you already have cables run to most rooms? If not, before moving in is usually a great time to get it done.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

What was your thought process that led you to the conclusion that wifi mesh is the only/best solution for your new house?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Holy gently caress I wasted a ton of time coverting a raspberry pi to an LTE router

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What was your thought process that led you to the conclusion that wifi mesh is the only/best solution for your new house?

And how big are we talking here? Mine is 3200 sq ft, 2 story+basement and I have my UAP-AC-PRO mounted in the exact center of the first floor in a closet. I get perfect signal in every corner of the house. I want to add a second AP for the hell of it but I honestly don’t need to.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
New houses should never have mesh anything. That is a last case resort type thing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

Holy gently caress I wasted a ton of time coverting a raspberry pi to an LTE router

If it's running on an SD card, I hope you have a couple of backups.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I have our AC-PRO mounted at the center of the structure, second story of a 1800sqft house. Signal is strong everywhere, and I can still get a fair signal across the street at the mailbox. Mesh should be a last resort if you absolutely can't mount your AP somewhat centrally.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My nano HD yields way more signal than I expected and I have plaster walls you can stick a magnet to pretty much anywhere. I like to confuse people with it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, I'm having some issues with a new wifi router not having a good signal strength. The annoying thing is it's buried in the basement with no real way to move it upstairs at the moment. I'm debating getting a range extender to help alleviate this issue. Is this a good one, and what would optimal placement be?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

iospace posted:

Alright, I'm having some issues with a new wifi router not having a good signal strength. The annoying thing is it's buried in the basement with no real way to move it upstairs at the moment. I'm debating getting a range extender to help alleviate this issue. Is this a good one, and what would optimal placement be?

Straight range extenders are generally a terrible idea. I'd honestly recommend powerline to a second access point over doing a mesh extender.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Make sure you use CAT5E/CAT6 if you’ll be doing any Ethernet wiring to sorta future proof.

I’ve been having a (recent) problem with multiple APs sharing an SSID: my device doesn’t automatically pick the AP with the strongest signal. Is this a function of router hardware/software or am I doing something wrong, and should’ve just picked up a Google Wi-Fi 3-pack or whatever.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Most of the time it is completely up to the client how it deals with multiple APs. Some are better than others.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

astral posted:

If it's running on an SD card, I hope you have a couple of backups.

Is this from too many read write cycles?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Buff Hardback posted:

Straight range extenders are generally a terrible idea. I'd honestly recommend powerline to a second access point over doing a mesh extender.

Alright, dug up an old wi-fi router (bandaid until I can get a proper AP), looked up a tutorial, and do I have to set that router's SSID and pass as the one on the new one, or should it pick up on that automatically?

E: figured it out. Gonna get a proper AP later but for now the bandaid suffices.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 7, 2020

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Got suggested by friends. It's 3000 sq ft, an awkward layout, and with no cable outlet in a central area. Running cat5 isn't a viable option. I won't have internet there until next month so I can't assess how much coverage just a router gives me just yet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mango sentinel posted:

Got suggested by friends. It's 3000 sq ft, an awkward layout, and with no cable outlet in a central area. Running cat5 isn't a viable option. I won't have internet there until next month so I can't assess how much coverage just a router gives me just yet.

I also live in a >2700 sqft, 19 foot wide house. It's rough.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
If you are going to go mesh, try to make sure that you find a product that has a dedicated wireless band for communicating between the access points. These are usually labeled as Tri-Band. I picked up a Dlink Covr system on sale a few weeks ago, and its working well in my house, which sounds like it has a similar layout to yours. Eero Pro also has a dedicated wireless backhaul as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mango sentinel posted:

A family member uses the Eero and they work for their basic needs. They're not power users or anything.

I'm a big fan of trying to hardwire a connection though. If you can get the cable or telco to run a line for 100 bucks for you, that's probably worth it as well. Running cabling yourself isn't too hard in some circumstances. If you can find an interior wall and have a basement without a finished ceiling it's super easy.