Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Common things to watch out for/avoid or things to make sure you do?

In order to win, you have to avoid losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Watching Aliens and reading Alien 3

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Common things to watch out for/avoid or things to make sure you do?

They mostly come at night. Mostly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Watching Aliens and reading Alien 3
I'll kill you last.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Voting Floater posted:

They mostly come at night. Mostly.

gently caress you.

I said that many pages ago.

We’re in the pipe; five by five.

What ever happened to Newt?

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDeW92lK4k8

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

To kill the alien, you must take its life.

:hmmyes:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

LOL in the Aliens RPG group where I shared my Predator stats, a couple people thought I was being a random ableist dick mentioning the autism thing, rather than relating a completely accurate major plot point from The Predator.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

LOL in the Aliens RPG group where I shared my Predator stats, a couple people thought I was being a random ableist dick mentioning the autism thing, rather than relating a completely accurate major plot point from The Predator.

I thought that, too, but then I remembered that movie had a plot point that hung on that notion.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As an Autistic that stuff is stupid and lovely and lord knows I'm removing it from my game, but you are lore accurate, so

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You can spin any Predator trait/behavior/belief you don’t like as “only some tribes do/believe [x]” and you’re still being lore-accurate.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Xenomrph posted:

You can spin any Predator trait/behavior/belief you don’t like as “only some tribes do/believe [x]” and you’re still being lore-accurate.

Now I'm picturing a group of Orthodox Predators fighting against a smaller group of Reform Predators.

Everything started after one Predator nailed a skull & spine to the door of the main Predator church.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 6, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's either really good or really bad to hunt on the space sabbath, and there's a lot of disagreement about it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
it occurs to me that the xenos being Space Mormons kinda works

they're all just missionaries, traveling the galaxy as best they can, spreading their beliefs (primarily that they should kill the poo poo out of you)

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

skasion posted:

Aliens is a good movie, but I don’t like all of the director’s cut changes. The early scenes on LV426 are decent scenes (I really enjoy the bit with the hassled colony bureaucrats bantering) but they gently caress up the pacing and blow the reveal too early.

The sentry gun scene rules though.

The pre-infestation scenes should be a separate featurette on the DVD. But the scene of Ripley breaking down after finding out her daughter was dead need to be in the regular version of the movie because it's the whole driver for Ripley's actions after Newt gets captured

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have the old Special Edition Aliens DVD and I kind of wish it had an option to play the theatrical cut, like my Alien DVD has. I really like the added scenes as someone who had seen the theatrical cut several times first and wanted more but I think that the theatrical cut is a better movie and is what I'd rather show people who have never seen it before.

The colony, Newt's parents, and sentry gun scenes break break up the tension too much on a first watch and show too much. Regarding the latter, I think that the aliens being complete no-shows between the hive escape and battle in the command center is creepier because the effectiveness of the defenses is a total mystery right up until they crawl right in through the one route that was overlooked. Also the speculation about what's laying the eggs telegraphs the queen's reveal a bit too much.

There are a bunch of scenes like the reveal of Ripley's daughter, and Ripley hesitating before going into the colony after the marines sweep it, and Hudson the Ultimate Badass, that are nice character bits that I'd keep in. But if the choice was between theatrical and special, I guess I could live without them. (IMO leaving the Ripley's daughter scene out of the theatrical cut was a dumb and bad mistake that only save a few seconds of run time)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hillary 2020 posted:

The pre-infestation scenes should be a separate featurette on the DVD. But the scene of Ripley breaking down after finding out her daughter was dead need to be in the regular version of the movie because it's the whole driver for Ripley's actions after Newt gets captured

I also think the little scene before they drop onto 426 where Hudson is talking about how they're ultimate badasses should be in the the normal cut

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I finally got around to finishing William Gibson's Alien 3

I liked the UPP B plot.

I felt like the pacing was off and the story was rushed.

I don't like that Newt and Ripley are just removed from the story.

The idea of people exploding into Xenomorphs was cool but ultimately didn't work for me in the context of the story and universe. Bio-weapon gone wrong is one thing but making people explode into xenomorphs? The whole "xenomorph taking over human DNA" thing is another massive rule change with regard to the xeno's and its one I don't personally like.

They didn't make clear why the "natural" xenomorph attacked the red-eyed xenomorph. I interpret the red-eyed xeno as some kind of man-made variation that the natural ones don't like but its still super vague and unexplored.

I think its a good foundation for a good director. I would've loved to see James Cameron working on this screenplay rather than the Alien 3 we got.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

A while back in the thread, someone posted about the T-800 being a playable character in Mortal Kombat 11.

After that, I learned that in Mortal Kombat X, you can play as the Alien and as the Predator.

(You can also play as Jason Voorhees and Leatherface too)

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

The Zombie Guy posted:

A while back in the thread, someone posted about the T-800 being a playable character in Mortal Kombat 11.

After that, I learned that in Mortal Kombat X, you can play as the Alien and as the Predator.

Is.... is that Xenomorph.... flexing?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jay_Zombie posted:

Is.... is that Xenomorph.... flexing?

The story is that a facehugger got to one of Baraka's people and this xeno is the result. Which is why it has armblades too

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Alien’s unique physiology makes some of the fatalities a little awkward.

Such as when Kotal Kahn rips his opponent’s heart out of their chest and squeezes it over his head, letting their blood rain down on his face. :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe molecular acid is like vitamins to the Osh-Tekk people.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I finally got around to finishing William Gibson's Alien 3

I liked the UPP B plot.

I felt like the pacing was off and the story was rushed.

I don't like that Newt and Ripley are just removed from the story.

The idea of people exploding into Xenomorphs was cool but ultimately didn't work for me in the context of the story and universe. Bio-weapon gone wrong is one thing but making people explode into xenomorphs? The whole "xenomorph taking over human DNA" thing is another massive rule change with regard to the xeno's and its one I don't personally like.

They didn't make clear why the "natural" xenomorph attacked the red-eyed xenomorph. I interpret the red-eyed xeno as some kind of man-made variation that the natural ones don't like but its still super vague and unexplored.

I think its a good foundation for a good director. I would've loved to see James Cameron working on this screenplay rather than the Alien 3 we got.

Yeah, that's my overriding impression of it as well.

Like Ripley is out of commission and it feels like it's building towards her making a late arrival into the story, but nope, she literally gets rocketed out of the plot.

Definitely a draft or two away from being a fully satisfying story.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t5T-qkXHV8

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Phi230 posted:

The story is that a facehugger got to one of Baraka's people and this xeno is the result. Which is why it has armblades too

I would have figured that the posturing and flexing was a result of a facehugger attaching to a kangaroo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This is about a hundred times better than a dialogue-free fan made gimmick crossover comic done by posing dolls Marwelcol style and sequencing the images in a Facebook album has any right to be.

The icing on the cake is just absolutely nailing the TOS-style episode title.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/bantambellatorum/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2545328135737616

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(franchise)#Future

quote:

After the acquisition of 21st Century Fox by The Walt Disney Company, it was officially confirmed at the 2019 CinemaCon that future Alien films are in development.

Can't. Fucken. Wait.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:aaaaa:

I know Disney owns everything now but they put out decent movies. Maybe not masterpieces but entertaining nonetheless.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cursed Blessed Monkey Paw: they’re directed by Ridley Scott

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

ruddiger posted:

Cursed Blessed Monkey Paw: they’re directed by Ridley Scott

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien:_Covenant#Sequel

quote:

In September 2015, Ridley Scott said he was planning two sequels to Prometheus, which would lead into the first Alien film, adding, "Maybe [there will] even [be] a fourth film before we get back into the Alien franchise" (which means there would be not two but three sequels to Prometheus). In November 2015, Scott confirmed that Alien: Covenant would be the first of three additional films in the Alien prequel series, before linking up with the original Alien and stated that the Prometheus sequels would reveal who created the xenomorph aliens. The screenplay for the third prequel film was written during production of Alien: Covenant and finished in 2017, with production scheduled to begin in 2018. In March 2017, Scott said, "If you really want a franchise, I can keep cranking it for another six. I'm not going to close it down again. No way." In May, Scott announced that Neill Blomkamp's sequel to James Cameron's film Aliens had been cancelled. In a later interview, he said he would have participated as a producer but that 20th Century Fox had decided not to pursue the project.

In an interview, Ridley Scott confirmed the next film sequel will include surviving engineers who were away from their planet while David destroyed its indigenous population. Michael Reyes, writing for Cinema Blend in July 2017, quoted Scott stating that if Sigourney Weaver could reprise her role as Ellen Ripley in the prequels, then "Well, we're heading toward the back end of the first Alien so [using CGI] may be feasible. Ripley's going to be somebody's daughter, obviously. We're coming in from the back end. The time constraints of what's the time between this film, where we leave David going off heading for that colony, I think you're probably two films out from even considering her." In the audio commentary for Alien: Covenant, Scott confirmed that a sequel to Alien: Covenant, tentatively referred to as "Alien: Covenant 2", is being written by John Logan, with Fassbender, Waterston, and McBride reprising their roles. Scott also confirmed that the film will complete his prequel series, leading directly into the events of Alien.

By September 2017, chief-executive-officer of 20th Century Fox Stacey Snider, stated that although Alien: Covenant was a financial disappointment, the studio intends to proceed with Ridley's sequel. In late September 2017, screen-graphics designer Carl Braga announced that the project had been delayed. In October 2017, Ridley Scott stated that "Alien: Covenant 2" will focus more on the androids and A.I.s as opposed to the xenomorphs. Scott said, "I think the evolution of the Alien himself is nearly over, but what I was trying to do was transcend and move to another story, which would be taken over by A.I.s. The world that the A.I. might create as a leader if he finds himself on a new planet. We have actually quite a big layout for the next one." In November 2018, it was announced that the film would take place on LV-426, with the extraterrestrial Engineers being featured in the film and being in pursuit of David8, following his nefarious actions against Planet 4.

At the 2019 CinemaCon, it was stated that after its acquisition of 21st Century Fox, Disney "will continue to create new stories" in the Alien series. In May 2019, Variety reported that another prequel is reportedly "in the script phase", with Ridley Scott attached to direct.

Drake shot first.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Revive Blokkamp's Aliens sequel you cowards.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

:yeshaha:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gently caress it, why not?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alienss

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

RIP Alien franchise again lol

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lol people are happy that Disney is going to be eternally reenacting Weekend at Bernie's with every media franchise in the history of time? Do you actually like good movies or do you just like being marketed to?

Personally I can't wait for Aliens vs Jedi vs Predator, rated pg, directed by jj abrams

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Only if Sharlto Copley is cast as the lead.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Owlbear Camus posted:

If you need to go younger with Hicks, just cast

Jasper Paakkonen
Edit: Apparently I had this idea 6 months ago too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Disney, huh?

glossy looking PG-13 Alien movies with a cast of non-stop quip-spewing characters

no