Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

The only other place in the entire world that eats the stuff imports it from us.
The Nordic countries, surrounded by sea, import their lye-drenched fish? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

people in my state literally eat Lutefisk as a point of pride
there's so much Luetefisk made in my state that it's literally exported around the world. The only other place in the entire world that eats the stuff imports it from us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

The key with lutefisk is preparation and sauce. Cook it by baking, not boiling as the old Norwegian ladies do. My uncles have grilled it as a joke, but it's not really strong enough for that. Then make sure you have lots of melted butter and a white gravy sauce ready to top it, and use both of them. I can typically eat a decent sized chunk, although there's a point where you've had Enough and the thought of more lutefisk makes you gag.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Pham Nuwen posted:

The key with lutefisk is preparation and sauce. Cook it by baking, not boiling as the old Norwegian ladies do. My uncles have grilled it as a joke, but it's not really strong enough for that. Then make sure you have lots of melted butter and a white gravy sauce ready to top it, and use both of them. I can typically eat a decent sized chunk, although there's a point where you've had Enough and the thought of more lutefisk makes you gag.

I mean, anything is edible if you drown it in enough butter and sauce.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I think wrt the pie filling drowning in butter, that they were going for some kind of confit effect to preserve it. The clarified butter would hopefully be sterile, and it would seal the meat from some air. A Tupperware made of butter and flour.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
According to Ivan Day, the clarified butter and pastry seal works pretty well as a preservative, so long as you drain out the gravy first.

More generally, preserving food in clarified butter or fat was fairly common in historical English cookery, in the form of potted beef, cheese, etc, though potted shrimp is the only modern survivor AKAIK.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What was the nutritional point of lutefisk? You've already preserved the fish by drying, so adding lye to it wasn't doing anything useful as a preservative, and instead just breaks up a lot of the protein in the fish. And then you need to do even more work to make it edible than you would if you just started with the dried fish. Why did they bother?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 26, 2019

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Phanatic posted:

What was the nutritional point of lutefisk? You've already preserved the fish by drying, so adding lye to it wasn't doing anything useful as a preservative, and instead just breaks up a lot of the protein in the fish. And then you need to do even more work to make it edible than you would if you just started with the dried fish. Why did they bother?

Lutefisk was originally made with ash, not lye. Modern recipes use lye because it’s more consistent.

The origin story varies, but most accounts agree that lutefisk was basically an accident. Why they kept repeating it, who knows.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It must say a lot about potted meat that as soon as it was no longer a necessary method of preservation, it almost completely disappeared from culture.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TofuDiva posted:

Pie chat reminds me to ask: has anyone used any of the vegetable-based suets in their pie crust or steamed puddings? I'd never run across it until recently, but I bought a pound to try and was wondering what to expect in how it handles and how the final result turns out.

Shouldn't be a problem, I've made plenty of crusts with vegetable shortening when there was nothing else in the house.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 27, 2019

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The point with the lye treatment is that it renders the fish very soft and juicy, at the expense of taste. Bear in mind that there exists three main types of cured codfish in Norway:

Tørrfisk or stokkfisk (leading to English "stockfish" and Italian "stoccafisso") - the fish is gutted, rinsed, beheaded, split to the tail and hung to dry in the late winter and through spring on scaffoldings (the "stokker"/"stocks" in question) in the wind and becomes very dry. It needs a lot of time to reconstitute. This is the kind of fish used for lutefisk. It gets a very pronounced flavour reminiscent of the change that occurs when mushrooms are dried. Treating the fish with lye will dampen this strong, fishy flavour too. This is the oldest type by far.

Klippfisk doesn't have an English name apart from "dried and salted cod" - the fish is treated like tørrfisk before drying but is salted and was traditionally laid to dry on smooth, clean stone surfaces next to the sea ("klipper" - English "cliffs"). It is dehydrated less due to the salt conserving it. It must also be reconstituted in clean unsalted water, like tørrfisk, but due to the higher hydration it has a "fresher" taste. Klippfisk is never made into lutefisk.

Boknafisk - this one's rare, I've only had it a few times in my life, from my aunt who lives on an island and has access to fish in the sea. It is made somewhat like klippfisk but is only salted three days, and is dried hanging in the wind. It only needs a short steep in water to reconstitute. It has a pearly white, juicy, very tasty flesh - a real delicacy.

Basically, the two latter are tasty on their own, and are eaten much like fresh, often with some kind of creamed vegetable on the side and bacon and bacon fat as the sauce. The first has a very pronounced flavour and needs a little extra help, Scandinavians use lye while the Italians simmer it for example in wine and tomato soffritos or stew it in cream or milk. The Icelanders hammer it into soft shreds, and smear the shreds in soft butter to eat as a snack. poo poo is gooood

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Force de Fappe posted:

Klippfisk doesn't have an English name apart from "dried and salted cod" - the fish is treated like tørrfisk before drying but is salted and was traditionally laid to dry on smooth, clean stone surfaces next to the sea ("klipper" - English "cliffs"). It is dehydrated less due to the salt conserving it. It must also be reconstituted in clean unsalted water, like tørrfisk, but due to the higher hydration it has a "fresher" taste. Klippfisk is never made into lutefisk.

My grandfather, who was born in rural Newfoundland, called this just 'salt cod'. It is pretty common there.

Edit: It got used a lot of the ways other fish did, but also in a particularly Newfoundlander comfort food, fish and brewis: salt cod and extremely hard bread, both soaked (though not together), then boiled and served along with fried pork fat that gets poured overtop.

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 27, 2019

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Salt fish looooooves a bit of bacon fat. One of the great culinary matches. Leftover boiled klippfisk is awesome made into "plukkfisk" (lit. "picked fish") - pick the bones from the boiled fish, then mash it with leftover potato, onions and milk and stew it a little - and of course butter and/or bacon on top.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speaking of strange foods, I learned the pickled limes that appear all over Little Women and other pieces from that period are actually what they appear to be, Limes + Vinegar + Salt/Brine. While I do enjoy pickles, this still sounds too sour for a casual childhood snack for me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Perhaps those were made with sugar and a tasty vinegar? I can imagine that working.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
In India everyone pickles limes and lemons without any sugar.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's likely where it arrived in England from as well. A log of Indian cooking and condiments, badly mangled, made its way to England via colonialism.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Also didn't the British believe that the acidity in lemons and limes was what prevented scurvy, therefore the more sour limes made for better prevention? Plus they didn't have to import basically the entire lemon output of Sicily anymore.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

occamsnailfile posted:

Also didn't the British believe that the acidity in lemons and limes was what prevented scurvy, therefore the more sour limes made for better prevention? Plus they didn't have to import basically the entire lemon output of Sicily anymore.

Until the actual discovery of vitamins, everyone knew what items could prevent scurvy but not what prevented it. The cure was "rediscovered" more than once because people figured out that stuff like fresh fruit and vegetables or citrus fruits specifically would prevent it but then misinterpret which aspect actually helped. This included such delightful treatments as believing that the acidity was the cure and issuing sulfuric acid.

On a much less terrifying level, there was also a problem with viewing the treatment as a cure rather than a preventative. Ships would go out with plenty of Vitamin C but not issue any of the foods or juice containing it except to people who had started showing symptoms, as they mistook it for a cure when it was actually a deficiency disease.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Honestly the really mindblowingly inexplicable thing about the whole saga is that somehow someone managed to do experiments on Guinea Pigs of all animals. Through some crazy fluke people managed to make one of the relatively few non-primate mammals that can't synthesize vitamin C into the common experimental proxy for people, which rats would not be suited for in this particular case.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just eat enough fresh seal and you'll be fine.

https://idlewords.com/2010/03/scott_and_scurvy.htm

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Just eat enough fresh seal and you'll be fine.

https://idlewords.com/2010/03/scott_and_scurvy.htm
Thank you! I was trying to find this again.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

golden bubble posted:

Speaking of strange foods, I learned the pickled limes that appear all over Little Women and other pieces from that period are actually what they appear to be, Limes + Vinegar + Salt/Brine. While I do enjoy pickles, this still sounds too sour for a casual childhood snack for me.

I thought I knew sour until I ate some unsweetened quince pulp when I was making jelly, jesus wept

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Someone uploaded a dump of a bunch of WWII rationing propaganda. It had a few posters I hadn't seen before. https://imgur.com/gallery/vdd0CQC

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There were a couple of years in my life where my aunt was really into preserving lemons (just lemons and salt) but she traveled a lot so I'd have to go over to her house to check on things, and one of the things I needed to do was to turn the lemons, so they got the right amount of salt.

I think she got over that.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

angerbeet posted:

There were a couple of years in my life where my aunt was really into preserving lemons (just lemons and salt) but she traveled a lot so I'd have to go over to her house to check on things, and one of the things I needed to do was to turn the lemons, so they got the right amount of salt.

So many lemons. An interminable pile of lemons. Why are there so many lemons?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Suspect Bucket posted:

Someone uploaded a dump of a bunch of WWII rationing propaganda. It had a few posters I hadn't seen before. https://imgur.com/gallery/vdd0CQC

Holy poo poo! This didn't get enough love

"Eat less bread" is a very war-starved message.

One is the suggestions is to eat potatoe gruel, something I've done when poor as gently caress, before I found food shelves. You can buy ham for like $1 a pound and make potato gruel with ham the next two months.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hang on now, this one has to be fake.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

PubicMice posted:

Fuuuuuuuu7uuuuuck

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Heh, I posted that in the alt-right thread.

The one about meat rabbits kills me.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

PubicMice posted:

True.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Was she afraid of scurvy, or...????

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Astrofig posted:

Was she afraid of scurvy, or...????

They're used in some types of cooking. Iranian maybe? There was a lot of pomegranate molasses at the time, too.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

That's not better!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm making mushroom ketchup from an old rear end recipe. Apparently it was the thing back before tomato ketchup got big because people still thought tomatoes would kill you.

2 lbs mushrooms chopped up
2 tablespoons salt
A couple bay leaves
1 onion chopped up
1 entire lemon's zest
A tablespoon of horseradish
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
A pinch of cayenne
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4-1/2 cup cider vinegar (kinda depends on how vinegary you want it

Chopped up all the mushrooms and threw them in a bow, added the salt and bay leaves. Stirred it real good, halfheartedly mashing it a little in the process. Not enough to turn it into a paste or anything, but just putting some good pressure on them. Then I let that sit for 15 minutes covered with a cloth. Stirred it up and half-assed mashed on it some more. Then recovered it and now it's gotta sit overnight and really let the salt draw out the juices. Tomorrow I gotta throw all that in a pot with the onion, lemon zest, horseradish, cloves, cayenne, allspice, and vinegar and simmer it for about a half hour. After that you squeeze it all out really good with a cloth to get as much of the liquid as possible out of it. And there's your old timey mushroom ketchup.

I'm a little concerned that it's going to come out real thin though, so depending on how it turns out I may try to thicken it a little with some corn starch or something. I also read that you can take the remaining solids and dry them out completely in the oven. Afterward you grind it up into a powder and it can be used to flavor things like soups or stews or whatever. Once I'm done I'll throw some pictures up of the whole thing if anybody's interested.

E: Oh and I got the idea from coming across this video by a weird 18th century cooking reenactor guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29u_FejNuks
The video description had this in it too: https://savoringthepast.net/2012/08/01/did-george-washington-use-ketchup/

Unfortunately that blog post has the usual paragraphs of poo poo before the actual ingredient list and such, but it does show some pictures of old stuff written about it as well.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 20, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ah, someone else has discovered Townsends. :allears:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lol yeah. I'm sure this isn't a big thing around here. Kinda dipping my toes in GWS and this seemed like a good start. I got a lot of other poo poo I've seen over the years that I want to try too.

E: ahhh gently caress somehow I missed your post in the first couple pages containing that exact video lol. Sorry.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 20, 2020

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Townsends isn’t weird! :colbert:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Metaline posted:

Townsends isn’t weird! :colbert:

O hell yes he is. He's way, way to clean-cut and happy and nice. That man has clearly killed dozens.

Don't get me wrong, I love his videos, but those are clearly the eyes of a serial murderer. Mr. Rogers would look at that dude and know he's hiding something under that affable demeanor.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

He's content to know that if it ever comes to bayoneting redcoats again, he is fully prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

...and make meat-pies from the corpses.

(Everyone watch his channel. Both for the great content and to know what he looks like when he comes for you.)