Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Vahakyla posted:

What jack should I use to lift up my fatback F-16?

Asking for a friend.

Your fatback is already jacked on Conformal Steroid Tanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Continuity RCP posted:

China breaking into the Comecon market is huge

god help us if they break into comic con

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

What jack should I use to lift up my fatback F-16?

Asking for a friend.

Your wife's got a weird petname, vaha :eyepop:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SimonCat posted:

Which one, Snap-on? My understanding was the factory that made Craftsman and Masterforce closed down.
Yeah. Them and hilti are the only ones left making stuff that's not value-engineering to gently caress.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure exactly if the USSR really demonstrated a particular weakness in its aviation industry; because at about the time the most advanced designs were being developed in the US the USSR's economy was crumbling and the money and investment dried up in conjunction with a brain drain. Up until the late 70's by hook or by crook the USSR was more or less on par wasn't it?

I mean the Soviet Union put the first satellite and the first man into space. 'The Soviet system is automatically and by its very nature incapable of doing advanced precise poo poo' doesn't really hold up.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 7, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I dunno if it was something uniquely Soviet but they certainly have always lagged behind the US/UK when it comes to jet engine design and manufacture. And ships. And complex consumer products in general, though I admit that's mainly my perception.

The space program was pretty much just a once in a generation supergenius guy willing it to succeed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/barbarastarrcnn/status/1214280773412511745

Ignoring politics: S-300 vs B-52 is cold war as gently caress.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mlmp08 posted:

That is why the following is true and definitely not ignored or unaccomplished:

There is a southern US border wall that the government of Mexico paid for.

China is formally labeled a currency manipulator

Repeal and Replace complete (I’m willing to give a pass, because that’s very much not a POTUS power).

ISIS is defeated.

Swamp (Washington DC) drained of lobbyists and careerists.

Military Rebuilt (this was always vague so I guess one could label a rando computer toucher being hired as “rebuilding” the military).

Domestic Infrastructure.

I generally put the brakes on myself ITT, but for you to complain here that others are getting partisan and then spew non-cold war non-current events, non-air power, political propaganda about campaign promises, oh man.... you are bad at this.

Nicely done.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

The space program was pretty much just a once in a generation supergenius guy willing it to succeed.

Thats not how these things work.

Consumer products certainly, but they weren't trying to produce the best consumer products in the first place so that's hardly surprising really. Didn't they do pretty well on subs for quite a while there talking of ships? Being a continental power they had no reason to prioritise surface shIps, the Fulda Gap is right <--- there anyway no boats required.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 7, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/barbarastarrcnn/status/1214280773412511745

Ignoring politics: S-300 vs B-52 is cold war as gently caress.

This had me thinking what would run ECM duty or wild weasel duty if such a thing went down. Then I had the thought that didn't the B-1 have an electronic warfare variant but google tells me I'm wrong. I know we stopped using EF-111s. Do we have any planes that do ECM anymore or is it all just pods on F-16s etc?

fake edit: wiki also confirms for me that the EA-6Bs are retired.

Can we put HARMs or equivalents inside F-22s or 35s?

edit: oh what about B-2s running HARMs?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

B-52s have their own Ewar suite.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

feedmegin posted:

I mean the Soviet Union put the first satellite and the first man into space. 'The Soviet system is automatically and by its very nature incapable of doing advanced precise poo poo' doesn't really hold up.

The Soviets were absolutely peers when it came to manufacturering war poo poo as compared to the west but they had gaps in ability, starting mostly in the late 70s, mostly around stuff that needed a strong computer / information tech component (CnC milling, for example). The Mig-25 melty engine was solved by the time the Mig-31 rolled out, IIRC.

Edit: I vaguely recall the Soviets stealing some sort of software to control oil fields or pipelines or whatever, the CIA found out and sold them infected versions that led to production issues.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The EA-18G exists. And compass call.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

tangy yet delightful posted:

This had me thinking what would run ECM duty or wild weasel duty if such a thing went down. Then I had the thought that didn't the B-1 have an electronic warfare variant but google tells me I'm wrong. I know we stopped using EF-111s. Do we have any planes that do ECM anymore or is it all just pods on F-16s etc?

fake edit: wiki also confirms for me that the EA-6Bs are retired.

Can we put HARMs or equivalents inside F-22s or 35s?

edit: oh what about B-2s running HARMs?

The EA-18G is the successor to the EA-6B. It's an electronic warfare variant of the Super Hornet.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

For ARMs the AARGM-ER is the one to keep an eye out for this year - it should be a huge bump up in capability from the latest HARM. The MALD is also a pretty clever weapon with a lot of potential for loving with air defenses.

^^The MiG-25 never overcame the engine overheat issue. The MiG-31 was also redlined at Mach 2.83 for the same reason.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 7, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

MRC48B posted:

B-52s have their own Ewar suite.

While to my non-classified person's understanding is that they do have their own (which I should have mentioned) my thought was you wouldn't want them going up against Iranian air defenses without some different birds running interference.

ml & wingnut I had totally blanked on the Hornet variant - thanks!

And thanks Warbadger for the googlable names there.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Warbadger posted:

For ARMs the AARGM-ER is the one to keep an eye out for this year - it should be a huge bump up in capability from the latest HARM. The MALD is also a pretty clever weapon with a lot of potential for loving with air defenses.

^^The MiG-25 never overcame the engine overheat issue. The MiG-31 was also redlined at Mach 2.83 for the same reason.

In fairness I don't think they really cared too much about designing in an increase of the max speed of the -31, they designed it for more reliability, range, and low-altitude speed, plus to haul a new look-down radar to find and attack US cruise missiles and low fast bombers. The need for ULTIMATE SPEED pure interceptors had kind of waned by then on both sides of the Cold War iirc. The Mig-31 is a lot more useful in a lot more roles than the -25.

tl;dr they probably could have made a faster, less melty engine and airframe for the Foxhound, but they just didn't need to

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 7, 2020

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

While to my non-classified person's understanding is that they do have their own (which I should have mentioned) my thought was you wouldn't want them going up against Iranian air defenses without some different birds running interference.

ml & wingnut I had totally blanked on the Hornet variant - thanks!

And thanks Warbadger for the googlable names there.

Buffs won’t be flying over Iran until all the most dangerous SAMs are cratered. They’d most likely be used to sling tons of ALCMs at targets on the Iranian periphery.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

LibCrusher posted:

Buffs won’t be flying over Iran until all the most dangerous SAMs are cratered. They’d most likely be used to sling tons of ALCMs at targets on the Iranian periphery.

When it comes to cratering the most dangerous SAMs the Buffs are actually pretty handy these days. A single B-52 can launch enough MALDs pretending to be strike packages of F-15E's or whatever to expend a battery's worth of S-300's. Or a mix of some jamming decoys and JASSM's to do the cratering.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 7, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Source4Leko posted:

Harbor freight is barely the same company from 5 years ago. Still not as good as premium domestic tool brands but everything now holds up surprisingly well.

It's better, but let's not get crazy.

mlmp08 posted:

The EA-18G exists. And compass call.

F-16s carry HARM as well.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 7, 2020

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

feedmegin posted:

And then Apollo happened, including microprocessors, surface mount electronics and a myriad other MIC things. The soviets kept using electro-mechanical things to control their spacecraft that I wouldn't be surprised to find in a cheap 1980s wash machine.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The Mig-29, as an example, was not fly by wire, which is kinda :psyduck: when you think about it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

LibCrusher posted:

CALCM/JASSM I'd hope, but yeah a B-52 isn't going within 500 miles of the border of a hostile country with S-300s.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

does anyone want to take a swing at making an OP for a reboot of this thread? I'm trying to clean house a bit on some of the threads that have been going on since the dawn of time.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Would an EF-15E (christ what a designation) be the best way to go for a hypothetical USAF ECM plane? Or are there some non-fictional alternatives? Or is the task just being left to the Growlers and the Navy?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

karoshi posted:

And then Apollo happened, including microprocessors, surface mount electronics and a myriad other MIC things. The soviets kept using electro-mechanical things to control their spacecraft that I wouldn't be surprised to find in a cheap 1980s wash machine.

The Apollo guidance’s computer’s display, this thing:

There were one hundred and thirty‐two relays packed behind that panel, clicking away, controlling every segment of the display.

That’s not to negate the importance of advances in solid state technology. If the DSKY had been designed a few years later, it could have been much simpler.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 7, 2020

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Platystemon posted:

The Apollo guidance’s computer’s display, this thing:

There were one hundred and thirty‐two relays packed behind that panel, clicking away, controlling every segment of the display.

That’s not to negate the importance of advances in solid state technology. If the DSKY had been designed a few years later, it could have been much simpler.

A group of guys recently restored a vintage Apollo guidance computer and then used it to emulate a moon landing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

does anyone want to take a swing at making an OP for a reboot of this thread? I'm trying to clean house a bit on some of the threads that have been going on since the dawn of time.

Honest question, do archives still work? I'd hate to lose the resource of searching within this thread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honest question, do archives still work? I'd hate to lose the resource of searching within this thread.

Yeah, they do.

Oh, and the new OP should link to this thread. I'll edit a link in if they don't.

If anyone wants to highlight some of the best of this thread that can go into the new OP as well, either on day one or down the road as people find poo poo to put in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lest you all think I'm not serious, I just rebooted the ELEVEN GODDAMN YEARS OLD WHAT THE CHRIST milsurp thread.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I worry a reboot of this thread would risk turning into more of a current events thread which is a topic best left alone.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Just repost the original first post.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Platystemon posted:

Even more fun from the AGC is the core rope ROM that was used to store the software:

And more than you probably ever wanted to know:
http://www.righto.com/2019/07/software-woven-into-wire-core-rope-and.html

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mortabis posted:

I worry a reboot of this thread would risk turning into more of a current events thread which is a topic best left alone.

Well, someone should make a cool OP that talks about swedish interceptors from the 70s or something.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

razak posted:

Even more fun from the AGC is the core rope ROM that was used to store the software:

And more than you probably ever wanted to know:
http://www.righto.com/2019/07/software-woven-into-wire-core-rope-and.html

Woah. Had no idea that was a thing. Weaving software.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Aw, I like this thread! It's not rusty, it just has a patina!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Cyrano4747 posted:

lest you all think I'm not serious, I just rebooted the ELEVEN GODDAMN YEARS OLD WHAT THE CHRIST milsurp thread.

Eleven years? Please, that's not even long enough for the grease to harden! Reboot it only when it can be listed on the C&R :corsair:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Woah. Had no idea that was a thing. Weaving software.

CS 420: Outer Space Software Weaving :dadjoke:

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Proof the Ancient Incans were astronauts!!! :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

feedmegin posted:

Thats not how these things work.

Consumer products certainly, but they weren't trying to produce the best consumer products in the first place so that's hardly surprising really. Didn't they do pretty well on subs for quite a while there talking of ships? Being a continental power they had no reason to prioritise surface shIps, the Fulda Gap is right <--- there anyway no boats required.

Also, weren't the Soviets world leaders in helicopter design?