Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Godzilla 2014 briefly stomps through Vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

I've always been curious about how NJ and New Jerseyans feel about Friday the 13th as a representative of the state. Most of my time in NJ has been in EWR, which I can't say I enjoyed.

If you're from anywhere in the NJ/NY area you fuckin' love all horror poo poo because it's wound into the historical and natural "aesthetic" of the region. Like when I was in NJ I literally lived near Shadow Lake, like that's it's name. In central NJ you can basically The Fog/Silent Hill caliber fog, the police station in Red Bank (there's a new building now but still :P ) was a former old style stone schoolhouse that still had art/small community events and so it was literally the police station from Resident Evil 2, etc. New Jersey has actual real run down/barely populated/abandoned places like Telegraph Hill, Shades of Death Road, Witches Hollow Blvd., I mean there's a reason there was a long running magazine called Weird NJ. The amount of urban (suburban? rural?) legends are off the charts. :D

NYC and the state of New York in general I mean no further explanation needed.

I cannot emphasize enough how much every few miles of the state of NJ has a unique horror movie premise in it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 6, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The remake of Fright Night really put across that other side of Vegas, the cookie-cutter suburban housing that feels airdropped into the middle of a desert. With David Tennant as a Criss Angel style magician.

MacheteZombie posted:

Was about to suggest The Burning but that's upstate new york.

Are there any good Jersey Devil movies?
A friend of mine swears to Satan that the Jersey Devil legend is, itself, cursed. A friend of his was working on one, and they suffered Job-like levels of personal and professional setbacks while making it. And when they were finally ready to release it, someone else released a Jersey Devil movie.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Basebf555 posted:

I like Blair Witch Project as much as the next guy but as a Marylander I wish it wasn't the one and only choice on every single one of these maps. Hannibal Lecter was housed in Baltimore, can we go with Silence of the Lambs one time just to mix it up?

I'm in MD too and Silence of The Lambs is also listed on that map.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Make a Flatwoods Monster movie, cowards.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's no good Jersey Devil movies because the Jersey Devil lives in all of us.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Plays coheeds devil in Jersey city

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

I cannot emphasize enough how much every few miles of the state of NJ has a unique horror movie premise in it.

As mentioned, I live in Florida, which is equally untapped for horror films.

Like we have our own bigfoot called the Skunkape, which is a giant ape-like creature who stinks so bad it will immediately make you sick. Like many southern cryptids, it's silly name kinda disarms how terrifying a Bigfoot in a swamp would be.

I like Crawl a lot, but it's kinda funny/silly that the only Florida-specific horror film in recent years takes place in Gainesville and has a UF student as it's main character.

Do a horror movie in the Everglades, you cowards.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

As mentioned, I live in Florida, which is equally untapped for horror films.

Like we have our own bigfoot called the Skunkape, which is a giant ape-like creature who stinks so bad it will immediately make you sick. Like many southern cryptids, it's silly name kinda disarms how terrifying a Bigfoot in a swamp would be.

Hell yeah that would own. There's no Skunkape movie at all is there. :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Maybe it's time for another goon project!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got Evil Dead I have nothing to complain about

Sorry ya'll

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As a Bigfoot enthusiast, I've always found the Skunk Ape to be the scariest version. Probably because it's usually depicted as having longer, wilder hair than the typical mountain Sasquatch, so it comes across as like half wildman half ape.

For me Bigfoot/Sasquatch/Skunk Ape/Yeti is one of the best untapped horrors left in the genre. For my money we've yet to have a film take full advantage of the idea, and how terrifying it could really be if this thing almost literally the size of The Hulk actually existed and decided that it wanted you to not exist anymore.

And yes, it would require CGI. But why has nobody with a legit budget attempted this yet? Think of like the bear scene from The Revenant. A Bigfoot movie with two or three scenes of that quality, and an R rating, would have huge potential in my opinion.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Hell yeah that would own. There's no Skunkape movie at all is there. :(

My pitch is a little similar to Boggy Creek 2, in that just have a small group of zoologists in the Everglades trying to collect samples and catalog changes in the environment. In the middle of the night, the Skunk Ape finds their camp and attacks. The rest is a survival horror film where the scientists are just trying to get out of the Skunk Ape's territory while it rips them apart one by one.

It's simple, but swampy Floridian woods are already absolutely terrifying, so adding the terrifying beast pictured in Basebf555's post makes it horrific.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

My pitch is a little similar to Boggy Creek 2, in that just have a small group of zoologists in the Everglades trying to collect samples and catalog changes in the environment. In the middle of the night, the Skunk Ape finds their camp and attacks. The rest is a survival horror film where the scientists are just trying to get out of the Skunk Ape's territory while it rips them apart one by one.

It's simple, but swampy Floridian woods are already absolutely terrifying, so adding the terrifying beast pictured in Basebf555's post makes it horrific.

Dan Bell taught me that there's a big old abandoned housing development down there too. So you could even have some really cool cat and mouse through some dilapidated housing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm just sick of banging on tents and scratches on trees and yowling in the distance. I want a Bigfoot movie that actually delivers the goods.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Zombie has his faults, but I don't think his preoccupation with showing boisterous, ill-mannered working-class people onscreen is a fault. It's not always pleasant, but that's okay.

Tart Kitty posted:

My only complaint about The Sacrament is that it basically offers very little commentary on the nature of cults, or what happened at Jonestown; it simply retells the incidents of the tragedy with fictional inserts included. It feels like there could have been more exploration in the narrative.
The first commentary is in the way it recognizes the values of the commune and what they're trying to achieve as genuine, even though its leader is a psychotic narcissist. (National Review published an article praising the movie for revealing that leftism is to blame for the Jonestown Massacre.) Compare Heathers: JD's point was that children's lives are violent, not because they live in a weird bubble closed off from adult society, but precisely because they don't.

It's also a commentary on the Vice journalists and the society they represent. They're young, hip, college-educated, secular liberals. They're doing "immersive journalism" while striving to maintain this objective, neutral, apolitical attitude. Instead of inoculating them against the con, it makes them perfect marks.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 6, 2020

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

As a Bigfoot enthusiast, I've always found the Skunk Ape to be the scariest version. Probably because it's usually depicted as having longer, wilder hair than the typical mountain Sasquatch, so it comes across as like half wildman half ape.

I’ve never understood if the skunk ape in this picture is supposed to have massive arms or if that’s an optical illusion.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Agreed I looked at some more pictures of it and I like how menacing it still is when on all fours.

How, uh, how fast is the Skunkape? I'm thinking maybe not something as extreme as Bubba Ho-Tep, but a situation of oh gently caress we're in the Everglades and it's a giant swamp with plants everywhere so we're moving slow as gently caress. So the Skunkape can start out slow and on all fours, picking people off and take his time gruesomely mangling them to death alive. Then as the movie goes on and towards the end it stands up and is more and more ferocious until it's definitively defeated. So like the characters think it's just a dumb animal but as it goes on it does more human-like stuff and turns their own tactics against them and stuff. Like it's teased for most of the movie as you just see it rising a bit out of the swamp or a limb here or there but then towards the end we see more of it in its full glory. Final shot of course will be like the end of Big Trouble in Little China where as the survivors drive off it's completely recovered and clinging to the back of the vehicle.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 6, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm just sick of banging on tents and scratches on trees and yowling in the distance. I want a Bigfoot movie that actually delivers the goods.

Agreed. Willow Creek had some good potential, and it's engaging for what it is, but I just want a boisterous full-on Bigfoot movie.

I'd prefer it to be filmed like the monster in The Ritual, where eventually you get your money's worth, but it's teased for most of the film.

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve never understood if the skunk ape in this picture is supposed to have massive arms or if that’s an optical illusion.

I believe this is its arm.

Neo Rasa posted:

Agreed I looked at some more pictures of it and I like how menacing it still is when on all fours.

How, uh, how fast is the Skunkape? I'm thinking maybe not something as extreme as Bubba Ho-Tep, but a situation of oh gently caress we're in the Everglades and it's a giant swamp with plants everywhere so we're moving slow as gently caress. So the Skunkape can start out slow and on all fours, picking people off and take his time gruesomely mangling them to death alive. Then as the movie goes on and towards the end it stands up and is more and more ferocious until it's definitively defeated. Final shot of course will be like the end of Big Trouble in Little China where as the survivors drive off it's completely recovered and clinging to the back of the vehicle.

I'm thinking it's fast as hell, but also has to deal with it's mass and weight. Like, the people have to wade through swamp water and crawl over the notches and roots of trees while the Skunk Ape climbs halfway up a tree to jump towards another tree. It knows how to get around the forest quickly despite it's size and weight, while we're dealing with outdoorsy science nerds.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 6, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
How do you get around the Noodle Incident problem, where no actual Bigfoot can live up to the hype?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

It's an optical illusion, but I see what you're talking about. The part that seems like a huge arm is really supposed to be the ape's entire right side, and it's hunched over. The hair is very long and laying over the whole body which is what creates gigantic arm effect(which I never saw until you just pointed it out actually).

When you realize it's on all fours you'll see that it's not just one huge arm.

Halloween Jack posted:

How do you get around the Noodle Incident problem, where no actual Bigfoot can live up to the hype?

The appearance isn't what will make the lasting impression, it would be the unimaginable power and ferocity. It would be ripping people limb from limb.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 6, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Willow Creek was a decent-ish Bigfoot movie

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Since we’re on the subject, here’s a crossover post from the pyf cryptid thread.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

Willow Creek was a decent-ish Bigfoot movie
You gotta hand it to them for making a Chuck Tingle title the plot of the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

You gotta hand it to them for making a Chuck Tingle title the plot of the movie.

There's an entire sub sub genre of bigfoot-fuckin literature so this doesn't actually narrow it down at all.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I can’t believe that I STILL haven’t seen Night of the Demon (1980). I’ve heard it’s pure grade yeti smut.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bigfoot straight-up rips off a dude’s junk in Night of the Demon.

And the trick to make a Bigfoot horror movie stand out is to avoid using the standard Sasquatch design. Keep the silhouette but switch it up by giving it extra eyes or a giant mouth or something. Less Chewbacca, more Attack the Block.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

omg the new grudge is a dumpster fire

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MacheteZombie posted:

Was about to suggest The Burning but that's upstate new york.

Are there any good Jersey Devil movies?

I don't know about "good", but The Last Broadcast is a Jersey Devil movie.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Drunkboxer posted:

Make a Flatwoods Monster movie, cowards.

Considering the Flatwoods Monster's become a bit of a pop culture icon in some areas, I'm surprised someone hasn't made a movie about it.

With all this cryptid talk, now I'm wondering what movies/shows are out there that involve some of the lesser known (compared to Bigfoot and Nessie) cryptids. I'm sitting through Hellier currently and so far it's been a bit of a slog.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It was very weird to me when I got around to playing Amagon on the NES and found that the Flatwoods Monster was the final boss.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

Considering the Flatwoods Monster's become a bit of a pop culture icon in some areas, I'm surprised someone hasn't made a movie about it.

With all this cryptid talk, now I'm wondering what movies/shows are out there that involve some of the lesser known (compared to Bigfoot and Nessie) cryptids. I'm sitting through Hellier currently and so far it's been a bit of a slog.

The Mothman Prophecies excised all the interesting parts of the Mothman and was very boring, I would like a better one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

M_Sinistrari posted:

There’s at least one Mokele-mbembe movie :haw:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Just got out of a screening of Hallucinations and an earlier Polonia brothers short film, Blood Flood, hooooooooly poo poo :perfect: :perfect: :perfect: :perfect:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

this describes cool corn

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

The Mothman Prophecies excised all the interesting parts of the Mothman and was very boring, I would like a better one.

What? No! Mothman Prophecies is very good!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I appreciate what Mothman Prophecies is trying to do, it's definitely not for everyone. It defies you to like it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The new Grudge is a C-grade horror movie. It doesn't do anything particularly wrong, but it doesn't do anything right either. It just kind of exists and fails to do anything new or interesting with the material which is a drat shame.

Someone in this thread mentioned that reviews have said that this movie is "meaner" than the other Grudge films, but I really don't see how. To be fair though, it's hard to make the Grudge movies any meaner than they already are because they're just inherently unforgiving films (something I've always appreciated about them): Ghosts in the Grudge movies work the same way nuclear radiation works in the real world (which is probably intentional given that the atomic bombings have left a permanent scare on Japan culturally) if you go to a certain place you become infected with them and the will stay with you and torture you until they inevitably kill you. This infection can not be stopped or cured, once you have it it's with you until you die. Oh, and you can totally spread it to others too so even if you're smart/lucky enough to never go to the ghost infected house you can still catch ghosts from some dumb sucker who has (Just like how you can still get radiation poisoning from someone who's been exposed to enough radiation even if you never visit a radioactive place yourself).

edit:

Oh rad! I'm going to check these out.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Same, the Flatwoods Monster is a surprisingly underrated cryptoid who should get the spotlight more.

Has there ever been a Chupacabra horror movie? Chupacabras are one of those monsters that I see referenced a lot, but rarely (if ever) get to take center stage and be the main bad guys.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I appreciate what Mothman Prophecies is trying to do, it's definitely not for everyone. It defies you to like it.

I enjoyed The Mothman Prophecies, but would also like for someone to actually make the movie the trailers and advertising suggested it was going to be.