Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
"id read a lot more books for grownups if someone simplified and spoonfed them to me so i didnt have to put in any effort or encounter any kind of ambiguity"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
siri tell me what im supposed to get out of hamlet

nut
Jul 30, 2019

chernobyl kinsman posted:

"id read a lot more books for grownups if someone simplified and spoonfed them to me so i didnt have to put in any effort or encounter any kind of ambiguity"

I get the hate but I think the poster intends to read the book. I’ve read some books that had forewords that would sometimes mention the cultural impact of a story and sometimes it’s interesting to know going in, though I’ll admit I usually dip past forewords.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

nut posted:

I get the hate but I think the poster intends to read the book.

i am aware but do not think it makes it any less stupid

nut posted:

the cultural impact of a story

this is not at all what is being discussed

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Well I should’ve said the bigger impacts of the book on society/lit/whatever, not only cultural impact

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
that is still not what is being discussed

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Is there a site that gives you a succinct overview of particular literary author’s works like the above? Cause it was extremely helpful.
Wikipedia.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Thank you for teaching me a valuable lesson, book barn.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Thank you for teaching me a valuable lesson, book barn.

the lesson being TBB is filled with sociopaths.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

If not...there should be. I’d read a lot more literary fiction if I knew what I was supposed to get out of it / think hard about before I dove in.
I do have a hard time understanding this because you can get the level of information in Franchescanado's post by reading even the slightest bit of background about a book before opening it, often in the blurb on the back of the book itself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Philthy posted:

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

This was a great book to end the decade with. However, it kind of spoils a lot of scifi I've enjoyed before it. Consisting of five short stories that link together spanning a hundred or so years, it tells the story of seeing the future of the Galactic Empire falling. There is so much Dune here, and the opening story is totally Imperium of Mankind's Terra from Warhammer 40k which eventually leads into Adeptus Mechanicus themes throughout. You have machines that are maintained by priests whose religion is science. You have visions into the future and trying to pick the right paths so humanity doesn't spend 30,000 years in darkness. You have personal shields that make guns useless. So much in such a tiny book. This was written in 1942! Yeah, I knew he influenced scifi, but this is kind of ridiculous. As much as I liked Dune, it's kind of heart breaking to know almost all of it was written already 20 plus years prior.

It was a very cool read. Not much action, but a whole lot of politicking with smooth moves left and right.

It's the first Asimov I read and it really got me into the "oh hey huh not all fantasy is BAD poo poo THAT SUCKS" vibe.

And it left me wanting for more.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Finally finished my mount everest of the year, The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I def don't think I'd have made it through without the audiobook with its incredible narrator helping me follow who's who throughout this murder mystery, cause I suck rear end with remembering character names.

Even with the help of the audiobook I can say this is the most difficult book I've ever finished, and many reading sessions were interrupted by wikipedia deep-dives into the history of the catholic church and the people they've executed. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff in here that didn't land or that I misinterpreted simply by my lack of subject knowledge, and I'm def going to have to track down some discussions on this book and its themes to find out what all I missed.

This book was rad, and I can tell it'll get better on every re-read, I can't wait to revisit it.

Next on my list is Warlock by Oakley Hall which surely won't be another giant headache with my struggle to remember characters names if the cast is bigger than 3 people!!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

the lesson being TBB is filled with sociopaths.

TBB, and the lit thread especially, is great for cataloguing the infinite ways of making "You can't sit with us" sound like a doctoral thesis.

EDIT: So as to contribute, I'm "reading" South by Sean Brock, chef and all-around genius. Beautiful cook book, though a lot of the stuff might be beyond my small kitchen.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 2, 2020

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ThePopeOfFun posted:

TBB, and the lit thread especially, is great for cataloguing the infinite ways of making "You can't sit with us" sound like a doctoral thesis.

EDIT: So as to contribute, I'm "reading" South by Sean Brock, chef and all-around genius. Beautiful cook book, though a lot of the stuff might be beyond my small kitchen.

i am sorry you feel that way about the lit thread, ThePopeOfFun

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i just finsihed the island of the day before by umberto eco and it is not as good as name of the rose or foucaults pendulum, but is still pretty good

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Ibexaz posted:

Finally finished my mount everest of the year, The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.
In many ways Foucault's Pendulum is a more important book to me personally, but The Name of the Rose might be my favorite. I'm glad you liked it.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Ibexaz posted:

Next on my list is Warlock by Oakley Hall which surely won't be another giant headache with my struggle to remember characters names if the cast is bigger than 3 people!!

Warlock is really good. The cast is quite manageable, that won't be a problem.

When reading Warlock, it helps to remember that it was written against the backdrop of McCarthy's House Un-American Activities Committee. Many of the central themes relate to the tension between democracy and mob rule, and the relative benefits of charismatic leadership vs. an effective bureaucracy. Any similarities to the 2020 environment are left to the reader.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

CestMoi posted:

i am sorry you feel that way about the lit thread, ThePopeOfFun

Ehhhh now I feel bad. My comment was ~30% serious. I probably just need to lurk more.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lords of the Sith by Paul Kemp. I had been hoping for some deep Sith lore, but this is basically just Vader and the Emperor murdering people and animals, broken up with the Emperor sniping at Vader. It's also odd how Kemp portrays many Imperials as just basic people doing their jobs, while the rebels outright murder defenceless people.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Nothing is stopping anybody from reading Babyfucker and joining the cool dork table.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Nothing is stopping anybody from reading Babyfucker and joining the cool dork table.

Oof. I forgot about that.

It's more that the lit thread is especially intolerant of bad takes. I'd like to see more handholding from the one lit thread in a sea of genre fiction, but maybe that's the issue in the first place.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
You can always start an alternative introductory lit thread

I'm sure tbb can handle two non sf/f threads

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

You can also ignore the few snarly folks and just press on until they give up. There are a lot of supportive folks in that thread willing to discuss good books

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

i have found the serious lit thread very fun and good. I think the in thing is that just because it's for serious lit doesn't make every post very serious and people like to tease

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue. It’s a year in his life while he is addicted to heroin. I have struggled with addiction and it’s almost like I wrote some of the passages. Highly recommended to anyone struggling with addiction. If you want to know what the mind of an addict is like, especially one who has an almost unlimited supply of drugs available at any time, this is a great read.

I’m reading Tommyland now. It’s Tommy Lee’s book.

I’m going to a Motley Crue concert this summer, so I’m on a kick right now.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I just finished The New Me by Halle Butler.

I have real mixed feelings about this one. It described some of my experiences with depression and alienation in a predominantly female workforce almost uncannily. As a possible inversion of the stereotypical chick-lit trajectory (move to the big city, start at the bottom in a design house, win over your boss, drinks and bonding with your best buddy!), it was pretty clever and harrowing seeing someone just be completely hollowed out by their own flawed expectations.

On the other hand, it’s nihilism felt pretty hollow and a little condescending from a celebrated and presumably pretty fulfilled young author, and while I didn’t want or expect everything to work out okay in the end, the end clanged a little like Paris Hilton’s ‘Stop Being Poor’ shirt.

I’ve been drawn to some other millennial fiction, like My Year of Rest and Relaxation or Severance and I’d say they were both better novels, but I’m still mulling over this one and it might feel different in a day or two.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Literally just finished The Leopard by Jo Nesbø earlier tonight, which is book 8 in his series about a police detective in Oslo, and holy poo poo this man can write crime novels (I read The Snowman a few months ago). Both books are so richly plotted and Nesbø writes with such a compelling urgency that they were nearly impossible to put down. And even though yes, the protagonist of the series ultimately prevails (which is the point), he's a flawed character who's self-aware enough to know that he's flawed, but also flawed enough that he's unable or unwilling to fix those flaws. Nesbø writes like a man on fire and it's fantastic.

Next up on my list is The Bat, which I think is book 1. I've never been huge on crime/mystery novels, but I am completely hooked on this series.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Literally just finished The Leopard by Jo Nesbø earlier tonight, which is book 8 in his series about a police detective in Oslo, and holy poo poo this man can write crime novels (I read The Snowman a few months ago). Both books are so richly plotted and Nesbø writes with such a compelling urgency that they were nearly impossible to put down. And even though yes, the protagonist of the series ultimately prevails (which is the point), he's a flawed character who's self-aware enough to know that he's flawed, but also flawed enough that he's unable or unwilling to fix those flaws.

That describes about 100% of male Scandinavian crime novel protagonists.

I forget - does he also have a daughter (it's never a son for some reason) and diabetes?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I forget - does he also have a daughter (it's never a son for some reason) and diabetes?

No to both, but it's interesting you mention the daughter/son thing -- he's involved with a woman who has a son. I came in late to the series so she's his ex by The Snowman, but based on context I'm going out on a limb and say they're actually together at some point earlier on in the series. Guess I'll find out since I'm going back and starting at the first book.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is that what the terrible film is based on?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Is that what the terrible film is based on?

Yeah. It was actually the How Did This Get Made? episode about the movie that made me want to read the book. I didn’t watch the movie, but their discussion of it was so completely bananas that I felt like there was NO way the book could possibly be that insane. But even having not seen the movie, I can safely say the book is light years better. Definitely worth a look if crime noir is your cup of tea.

Honestly, I think it speaks to the strength of Nesbø’s storytelling ability that I decided to read one of his books based solely on the discussion of the movie adaption on a podcast dedicated to dissecting bad movies. I had never even heard of the series before I listened to that episode.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In print, The Optimist's Daughter, by Eudora Welty. At only 50,000 it's a tightly written novella that disregards everything else in favor of a few masterfully crafted scenes and only four main characters. I'd recommend it especially for anyone that grew up, but no longer lives, in a small town.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Just finished Gold Fame Citrus which had one of the worst endings in a book I've ever read, 1/5 do avoid. It was getting kinda ok too and the bam! Godawful last chapter and scene.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

I found book this buried in a box of my moms stuff that had been given to me. She was born and raised in England, and took me to see my relatives a few times back in the 80s. During one of those trips I got to see the house the Brontë sisters grew up in. Charlotte Brontë was my mothers favorite author, and I found a pile of Brontë books packed away and even a pamphlet from the tour of the house we had done. Jane Eyre was the most worn of the bunch, so I simply opened it to read the first page and I couldn't put it down. I'm still processing much of it, but for a book that was written in the mid-1800s this is pretty powerful for a woman to endure and resist men, religion, and "society" the way Jane does. While it had some eye brow raising moments, it was a fantastic book overall.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Philthy posted:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
While it had some eye brow raising moments, it was a fantastic book overall.

Awesome, I just started reading Wuthering Heights and I love that feeling of being surprised by the contemporary feeling of a 19th century text.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Revival by Stephen King.

I read this on a recommendation from a Twitter thread titled "Name one piece of fiction where the monster is scarier after the reveal". This book is probably 200 pages too long and probably would have made a better short story than full length novel. The story is set up in the first 30 pages and then nothing of substance happens until the last 30, which was a bit frustrating. The recommendation based on the monster being scarier after the reveal certainly holds true; since there literally is nothing until the monster is revealed.

Thinking in Bets by Annie Duke

I love books about decision making processes and this is one of the best. Almost no poker talk at all if that's not your thing. Made a ton of highlights which I need to re-review.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sock The Great posted:

This book is probably 200 pages too long and probably would have made a better short story than full length novel.

what is every stephen king book written in the last 20 years, alex

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sock The Great posted:

Revival by Stephen King.
The story is set up in the first 30 pages and then nothing of substance happens until the last 30, which was a bit frustrating.

Makes me wonder if there's some online resource that helps people abridge the books. Like "read these pages, then these, then understand that x happens, then finish the book starting here".

I just finished, on audible, Wolf Hall, by Hilary Mantel. I didn't know Thomas Cromwell beyond "one of the people caught up in Henry the 8th shenanigans", so my picture of him is  entirely from this book, and it speaks to the author’s skill that he’s become such a compelling character for me. The persona of Thomas Cromwell that Hilary Mantel creates is fantastic; his tone somewhere on a spectrum ranging from dry wit to disgusted cynicism. Cromwell's often surrounded by powerful people that don't seem to foresee the full implications of their actions, whereas he is a man virtually weighed down by his own foresight and vision; it makes for a surprising blend of pessimism and empathy.

I should say that I’ve since learned that this is apparently a revisionist portrait of Cromwell, at odds with a more negative narrative established by A Man for All Seasons, which I now badly want to read or see.

There's a sequel but, paradoxically, because I've come to love the character as much as I have, I'm hesitant. That's because, after finishing the book, I foolishly convinced myself I needed to at least look at the Wikipedia entry on who Thomas Cromwell was and, suffice to say, my expectations for the second half of this historical fiction are upended.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
do not take mantell’s extremely sympathetic portrayal of Cromwell as historically sound

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's one reason I want to get to A Man For All Seasons asap, because I (now) know Wolf Hall reverses the portrayal of More and Cromwell.