Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Athanatos posted:

Having a discord set up and a channel for in character chat is great too. Those times when you end at a camp, the discord is always there till the next session to RP some and get a better feeling about other players and shortens the getting to know each other time. The ones I've been in have never been a full text chat RP, just stuff that would take game time: chat about items, spells, short planning for the next day.

Yeah we have that too, I think it was just first session jitters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
new book is going to be all magic items and new spells with a few new casting class options

finally magic users will have the resources and attention they deserve

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

There's a new fundraiser for Extra Life - Sapphire Dragon, lair actions, info about gem dragons

https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/sapphire-dragon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

Syrinxx posted:

Wow, kudos for an amazing product, I am dying to play it. Love the epic paths and class additions; the Bard College of Epic Poetry stood out as particularly great.

My group is some kids age 11-13 and my GF. They take the game seriously, but none are really hardcore players so I'm just wondering if the adventure itself is pretty easy to follow (and hopefully easy to run for me, the world's okayest DM). Or would this be better suited to a more experienced group?
Sorry for the late reply! I wish I could take credit for any of those, but I just worked on monster fluff and boxed text.

Anyway, I think other posters have already answered your questions better than I could; I haven't run the adventure myself, yet. Since you're running for kids, though, one thing that may be relevant is the content skews more adult than the current WotC books (e.g., a lot of the NPC "heroes" are such in the Greek mythology sense and are pretty awful people). Some of the art is also borderline NSFW (less so than a lot of Renaissance art but definitely more than what you'd find in the PHB). I think it's fine for middle schoolers but I just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Edit: There's also a pretty active fan discord that has a lot of extra DM resources, if you'd like a link to that.

DressCodeBlue fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 7, 2020

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

We’re Sorry About the Beastmaster: A Ranger’s Compendium

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

"We're introducing a beastmaster druid so you can roleplay that one awesome assassin from the Witcher show, and we made it really good"

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Could they fix up ranger's hunter archetype by giving more options for hunters prey? Beyond rewriting stuff or adding a new animal that specially gets to act differently from normal companions if it is one, I'm not sure they could fix beast master.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I was gonna post some pics of the Odyssey of the Dragonlords source book cos it got delivered today, but the post office seem to have lost it instead :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Syrinxx posted:

There's a new fundraiser for Extra Life - Sapphire Dragon, lair actions, info about gem dragons

https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/sapphire-dragon

I will support that.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I was gonna post some pics of the Odyssey of the Dragonlords source book cos it got delivered today, but the post office seem to have lost it instead :(

Well that sucks. Will they reimburse you.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Splicer posted:

It has the problem of being marketed as a generic RPG system. It is extremely not a generic RPG system. A generic system provides mechanical support for multiple playstyles and/or is sufficiently modular (but still complete) and/or streamlined (but still complete) that you can swap out or bolt on what you need with a minimum of fuss. D&D is none of these.

One could argue this, but A) D&D is not a generic system, and B) if your system doesn't have at least one approach the works as written then it doesn't mean you only have to learn one system, it means you have to keep learning different variations of the same system over and over again.

We clearly mean different things by the word “generic.” The Wikipedia definition suggests a system independent of both setting and genre.

5E is unquestionably independent of setting. Is it independent of genre? Not precisely. But you can do horror, high fantasy, low fantasy, and no magic without any actual changes to the system, only restrictions.

You’d have to rework the class system to do anything else with it, but that is extremely easy compared to some systems (Exalted, Shadowrun) though not as easy as a built-in like BRPG or FATE.

I am guessing that we also have sharply different definitions of “system.”

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that sucks. Will they reimburse you.

I dunno, I've lodged a case with the postal service so I'll have to wait and see. Guess I'll be playing from the digital copy if not

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

We finished up Storm King's Thunder, with a side of Rise of Tiamat in that Iymrith summoned Tiamat, so we had to fight both of them, with waves of adult chromatics coming in to tangle up the giants we had as allies. It was a clusterfuck of a fight, but we eventually succeeded. The cherry on top was when a marut, who was formerly a modron, but got his perfect body marred by the rogue giving him a pat on the head, showed up and fuckin' bodied the rogue. He was about to take his unconscious body back with him for imprisonment, but my talking sword ended up knowing him from back in high school, so he agreed to let him go with a big warning.

It's a weird feeling, because the game is going on break, and it marks the first time in recent memory (at least 10 years) where we didn't have a DnD game going. We have Lancer, Infinity (which I don't care about at all but it's not bad gaming, it's my mates from small times), FFG Star Wars, and now we're going to be diving into Dark Heresy 1st ed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm coming up on the end of my 5 year long eyes of the stone thief game, gonna be weird not having that

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Narsham posted:

We clearly mean different things by the word “generic.” The Wikipedia definition suggests a system independent of both setting and genre.

5E is unquestionably independent of setting. Is it independent of genre? Not precisely. But you can do horror, high fantasy, low fantasy, and no magic without any actual changes to the system, only restrictions.

You’d have to rework the class system to do anything else with it, but that is extremely easy compared to some systems (Exalted, Shadowrun) though not as easy as a built-in like BRPG or FATE.

I am guessing that we also have sharply different definitions of “system.”

5e is not at all independent of setting and you pretty much can't do horror or no magic

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Elfgames posted:

5e is not at all independent of setting and you pretty much can't do horror or no magic

they mentioned restrictions

horror is entirely up to the DM and party, that's storytelling not mechanics.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Narsham posted:

5E is unquestionably independent of setting.
This is the second most wrong thing ever said in this thread.

FFT posted:

This is the first.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

sorry that you've only experienced lovely DMs, I guess?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

FFT posted:

sorry that you've only experienced lovely DMs, I guess?

Sorry that you've only experienced lovely mechanics, I guess?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

FFT posted:

So it's the perfect system with no restrictions to conveying horror... if you ignore the system entirely and have a DM who's good at ghost stories. Yep, sounds like the perfect generic system to me.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lol do y'all require actual written mechanics to make a D&D game horror-themed?

that's on you if you need some sort of explicit CoCk insanity mechanic instead of just fuckin playing the game

Ravenloft doesn't exiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist!

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

FFT posted:

that's on you if you need some sort of explicit CoCk insanity mechanic instead of just fuckin playing the game

Lol do you actually think your argument is valid? I could sit down at a table with a hammer and tell a ghost story. Behold! A horror RPG system!

If you're going to argue that D&D is a perfectly fine 'generic' system to have a horror game, then people have to engage with the system. Anything else is by nature not supporting the argument.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

ravenloft is horror the same way as my dad dressing up as dracula is horror

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Actually what does "playing D&D" mean to you if not using the mechanics of the game D&D?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Torchlighter posted:

If you're going to argue that D&D is a perfectly fine 'generic' system to have a horror game, then people have to engage with the system. Anything else is by nature not supporting the argument.
uh

yes

i'm in no way saying that it is the system to roleplay horror with (and "what is horror???" is a seperate issue we should not get into here) but horror is very much a per-table kind of idea and it is not on the 5E system when it doesn't work.

From the very beginning the onus of making the story work has been on the person in charge of the story, why is "horror works if the DM can do it" so contentious?

"5E doesn't have explicit rules for Sigil and other Planescape things, guess it's impossible."

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Just because your Dungeon Master sucks at building tension doesn't mean you can't do a horror genre game in D&D.

Fine, what precisely is lacking?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Someone post a good “Horror” mechanic because I am completely baffled by the idea that it’s the rules and dice that make something a horror game and not the setting, atmosphere, and presentation.

Like that seems so transparently obvious to me (and several other posters, it would seem) that I’m really left scratching my head as to how you would rely on game mechanics to let your party know something is sPoOoOkY

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

Someone post a good “Horror” mechanic because I am completely baffled by the idea that it’s the rules and dice that make something a horror game and not the setting, atmosphere, and presentation.

Like that seems so transparently obvious to me (and several other posters, it would seem) that I’m really left scratching my head as to how you would rely on game mechanics to let your party know something is sPoOoOkY

https://dreadthegame.wordpress.com/about-dread-the-game/

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Torchlighter posted:

Lol do you actually think your argument is valid? I could sit down at a table with a hammer and tell a ghost story. Behold! A horror RPG system!
what exactly is it that you think we're doing when we play tabletop RPGs, and what precisely is it that 5E specifically or D&D in general is lacking that makes telling a ghost [or other horror-related] story impossible or uncompelling?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Oh so it’s just using Jenga as a “horror/sanity” meter to build dramatic tension over the course of a play session... yeah that seems neat and novel but absolutely doesn’t strike me as demonstrably different from adding increasing modifiers to dice pool. More impressive and dramatic at the table maybe, but you’re not convincing me this is something 5e can’t handle within its own framework.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Jenga is a solid way to build tension but most tabletop RPGs aren't about how well you roll the dice (i.e. you're not trying to roll them so they stack) so that's kinda weird.

Also it's obviously not written in the rules but uh what exactly is stopping anyone from using a Jenga tower as the increasing tension in D&D? It'd be just like escalation dice but with a very obvious escalation.

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 7, 2020

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

FFT posted:

Jenga is a solid way to build tension but most tabletop RPGs aren't about how well you roll the dice (i.e. you're not trying to roll them so they stack) so that's kinda weird.

Also it's obviously not written in the rules but uh what exactly is stopping anyone from using a Jenga tower as the increasing tension in D&D? It'd be just like escalation dice but with a very obvious escalation.

What's to stop the GM saying "we're only using d10s now and everyone has to roll up a Vampire character for a modern setting?" Nothing, except you're not playing D&D any more once you change the fundamental mechanics, or expectations of the game (e.g. heroes, fantasy, powerful character abilities, monsters are to be slain not cowered from)

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 7, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This thread has such a bizarre split between “Any system can be used to do anything if you get creative” and “I can only have EXACTLY the kind of fun the rules allow me to have and if the rules do not specifically instruct me to have a certain emotion than it is a flawed and imperfect system beep boop I am a robot”. At some point you have to concede that a multiplayer game based on social interactions will need some level of storytelling and creativity to work regardless of how complete the rules may be.

Like the notion that D&D can’t be used to tell scary stories because it is, at its core, a game about killing monsters for loot is so false on its face that I have to assume some level of trolling, TBQH. A dungeon master informing me that something scary is happening won’t be scary no matter if it’s dice, Jenga, Twister, or Punxsutawney Phil seeing his shadow unless the DM does something to present it in a scary way.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

What's to stop the GM saying "we're only using d10s now and everyone has to roll up a Vampire character for a modern setting?" Nothing, except you're not playing D&D any more once you change the fundamental mechanics, or expectations of the game (e.g. heroes, fantasy, powerful character abilities, monsters are to be slain not cowered from)

What, precisely, is mechanically preventing a horror story from being told in 5E?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

A dungeon master informing me that something scary is happening won’t be scary no matter if it’s dice, Jenga, Twister, or Punxsutawney Phil seeing his shadow unless the DM does something to present it in a scary way.

We all know the scariest way is

"Roll Perception" or "Roll a/an [ability] save" or "What's your AC again?"

But beyond the mechanical foundation of "ooh I might be hosed", horror, at least, is entirely built upon the storytelling and it's real weird people are pretending that isn't supported in D&D

Makes sense if you only stick to modules and have never branched out, maybe

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

FFT posted:

We all know the scariest way is

"Roll Perception" or "Roll a/an [ability] save" or "What's your AC again?"

But beyond the mechanical foundation of "ooh I might be hosed", horror, at least, is entirely built upon the storytelling and it's real weird people are pretending that isn't supported in D&D

I don't think it's impossible, but I don't think D&D is really a very generic system that's made for adapting to different genres. The idea alone gives me flashbacks to the d20-system-can-do-anything glut of the early 2000s.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Bust Rodd posted:

This thread has such a bizarre split between “Any system can be used to do anything if you get creative” and “I can only have EXACTLY the kind of fun the rules allow me to have and if the rules do not specifically instruct me to have a certain emotion than it is a flawed and imperfect system beep boop I am a robot”. At some point you have to concede that a multiplayer game based on social interactions will need some level of storytelling and creativity to work regardless of how complete the rules may be.

Like the notion that D&D can’t be used to tell scary stories because it is, at its core, a game about killing monsters for loot is so false on its face that I have to assume some level of trolling, TBQH. A dungeon master informing me that something scary is happening won’t be scary no matter if it’s dice, Jenga, Twister, or Punxsutawney Phil seeing his shadow unless the DM does something to present it in a scary way.

Alright, We're gona have talking about it.

The thread is currently discussing this post, more specifically, this argument:

Narsham posted:

So we have our argument: 5E is a fine generic system because you can do horror with no restriction. Elfgames pretty clearly says no, at which point FFT drops in with:

FFT posted:

Leaving aside the inherent goalpost moving of '...if you have a good DM', 'what is horror', etc, which is by its nature an entirely facetious argument, this does not, in fact, prove or in any way support the argument that 5e is a good system to run horror in. 5e does not have a system to create tension, other then those of combat. 5e does not, by nature, do things that are 'spooky', and it was never designed to. The burden of proof is upon those who claim 'you can do horror in 5e and it's good'.

If storytelling and DM control are the only arguments for if a game around a table is 'spooooooky' or horror, then by definition, if I sit at a table and, entirely independent of 5e, tell a ghost story, then I am participating in a horror game. if I am wielding a hammer menacingly, I am succeeding in many ways better than 5e, in that people are probably feeling threatened, albeit in a manner that isn't in game so much as in real life.

So if we've arrived at the point that DM storytelling is what makes a game a 'horror' situation, and the best possible opinion of 5e is that it is no better than just telling a scary story, you have not demonstrated that 5e is in any way good at representing horror. It is, at best, completely mediocre and irrelevant. It is no better than any number of systems that are also not built or marketed as horror systems, many of which are in fact, not generic.

So the best possible argument is that 'if you ignore any of the mechanics or anything about the system at all, and tell a good enough story, it's a fine system to run horror in.' It is both not as good as actual systems that do market themselves as horror and also comparable to... every system that has existed, even the ones that are both non-generic and don't market as horror.

This is not a good argument for '5e is a good generic system'.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

FFT posted:

What, precisely, is mechanically preventing a horror story from being told in 5E?

Where precisely, does 5e succeed at helping a horror story be told? What makes it better than me telling a horror story? What value is there in using 5e over other systems, or even just not using a system at all?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Some game mechanics facilitate horror. Some do not facilitate horror, but don't get in the way. Some get in the way.

"D&D is generic because your can run horror in it" only works if it falls under category one or two. It doesn't. "D&D doesn't do horror" means that it falls under category three. It means running a successful horror game will be in spite of the system, not that it's physically impossible.

Dread facilitates horror: the pulls get your adrenaline pumping, seeing the tower get more and more unstable gets you tense, it's good. PDQ neither facilitates nor impedes horror: tell spooky stories and occasionally roll some d6s. Meanwhile D&D's combat mechanics, spellcasting mechanics, advancement mechanics, and character creation all work to actively impede horror. And yeah you can hammer in drawing pins with a sledgehammer but it's still going to be harder than using a pin hammer or even just a rock.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bust Rodd posted:

The "Haha what the poo poo" level of reaction is due to holding up D&D's handling of horror as an example of why it's generic. You could run horror in scrabble but bringing trying to claim that as a selling point is just ???

PS if you want to run horror in monopoly it's called red markets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Torchlighter posted:

Alright, We're gona have talking about it.

The thread is currently discussing this post, more specifically, this argument:

So we have our argument: 5E is a fine generic system because you can do horror with no restriction. Elfgames pretty clearly says no, at which point FFT drops in with:

Leaving aside the inherent goalpost moving of '...if you have a good DM', 'what is horror', etc, which is by its nature an entirely facetious argument, this does not, in fact, prove or in any way support the argument that 5e is a good system to run horror in. 5e does not have a system to create tension, other then those of combat. 5e does not, by nature, do things that are 'spooky', and it was never designed to. The burden of proof is upon those who claim 'you can do horror in 5e and it's good'.

If storytelling and DM control are the only arguments for if a game around a table is 'spooooooky' or horror, then by definition, if I sit at a table and, entirely independent of 5e, tell a ghost story, then I am participating in a horror game. if I am wielding a hammer menacingly, I am succeeding in many ways better than 5e, in that people are probably feeling threatened, albeit in a manner that isn't in game so much as in real life.

So if we've arrived at the point that DM storytelling is what makes a game a 'horror' situation, and the best possible opinion of 5e is that it is no better than just telling a scary story, you have not demonstrated that 5e is in any way good at representing horror. It is, at best, completely mediocre and irrelevant. It is no better than any number of systems that are also not built or marketed as horror systems, many of which are in fact, not generic.

So the best possible argument is that 'if you ignore any of the mechanics or anything about the system at all, and tell a good enough story, it's a fine system to run horror in.' It is both not as good as actual systems that do market themselves as horror and also comparable to... every system that has existed, even the ones that are both non-generic and don't market as horror.

This is not a good argument for '5e is a good generic system'.
Oh dang this is a good post. Ignore my posts just read this post.