Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

CI!G said yesterday that the roadmaps will be updated this coming Friday. Days, not weeks :trustme:

In before the SQ42 roadmap magically gets updated so every chapter is now in line with Q1 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

MedicineHut posted:

In before the SQ42 roadmap magically gets updated so every chapter is now in line with Q1 2020

:reddit: posted:

Secret dev build!!!!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Royal Mail bringing out a set of stamps to commemorate the UK’s magnificent contribution to the history of video games. Sadly Crobber hasn’t made the cut

https://twitter.com/gamesfreezer/status/1214502504626565121

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

:confused: Guys help pls, how to use dupe money with Transport contract? I read several guides and tried with friend, but no one worked. Who tested it work, respond here pls. Just I want to buy starship with in-game money, I cant play with my useless Mustang Alpha.... This ship even not work cargo section

:reddit: Try eating a bag of dicks. Hope that helps you out.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

iron buns posted:

:confused: Guys help pls, how to use dupe money with Transport contract? I read several guides and tried with friend, but no one worked. Who tested it work, respond here pls. Just I want to buy starship with in-game money, I cant play with my useless Mustang Alpha.... This ship even not work cargo section

Star Citizen: How to use dupe money

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
E: Misread, joke does not work.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Rugganovich posted:

Was that from the movie "To Kill a Procedural Bird?

To Kill a Doxing Bird

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

iron buns posted:

truly the most supportive community

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iron buns posted:

Ate bag of dicks. Didn't help. However, i do feel like a SC backer now.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Quick then, buy an Idris. Or even better, the new and improved Legatus pack. Before you lose that loving feeling!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

smellmycheese posted:

Royal Mail bringing out a set of stamps to commemorate the UK’s magnificent contribution to the history of video games. Sadly Crobber hasn’t made the cut

https://twitter.com/gamesfreezer/status/1214502504626565121

Cool! I hope I can order that set from outside the UK.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

tuo posted:

- one was an RTV IIRC many years ago...the live thing they did. IIRC it was Lando and Tyler? It was filmed next to the place where they did the ATVs, and the camera had a look into Sandi's office. Of course nothing strange happened there....Sandi sat at her computer and...worked? But you could see how she suddenly opened up the livestream, realized she's on camera in the background, and then walked (as much out of frame as possible) to them, whispered something to them, and they changed the camera angle. It wasn't a real fuckup, just funny, because you saw other people working at their desks. But Sandi didn't like it.

This was actually on RTV in the Lesnick / Pugh / Will era. (Deleted, yet it lives!)

quote:

- the other one was a panel on a CitCon, where Tony Z started talking an never stopped, and Chris next to him had trouble keeping his head up and his eyes open. You know when you are super tired and desperately try to stay awake, and everytime your head sinks you immidiately wake up with a "I WAS TOTALLY PAYING ATTENTION" stare.

That’s from that long Pax South Town Hall event they had in 2015. Jason Hutchins and Jake Ross traded off emcee duties while Mark Skelton, Tony Z and Chris theory-prattled for ages.

There’s some good stuff at that mostly forgotten event:
  • Bootcha and Bunnyman were both there (Bootcha asked a gameplay question and used Bunnyman as his theoretical antagonist.)
  • We got the first debut of Wormhole travel footage. (Which finally got a new payoff at CitCon 2019. Who knows when it’ll be in the actual game but, you know, ‘early days.’)
  • Terra Prime is right around the corner, guys!
  • Tony Z’s yammering really was so dull it cast a sleep spell, not just on Chris.
  • The fan Q&A with Chris was a bit like a 10ftC episode, with Chris affirming most everything he was asked about. One of the more memorable of which had Chris telling the audience that CIG was developing a better Nemesis system than Shadows of Mordor had.

The Nemesis system had debuted in Fall of 2014 and generated a lot of buzz in the gaming world, so naturally it would have been on Chris’s mind in January of 2015.

That whole event covered so much thrown-away bullcrap...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
FORBES: Software Developer Seeks To Delay Its Lawsuit Against Makers Of The $300 Million Game ‘Star Citizen’

The author of last year’s brutal Forbes story on Star Citizen picks up the Crytek / Squadron update. (The story itself adds little new, it’s the author and outlet worth noting.)

quote:

In filings found by redditor RiSC1911, Crytek argues that its claim that Cloud Imperium is in breach of contract is predicated on Squadron 42 existing as a stand-alone game, and that it won’t be actionable until its release.

drat, for all the media traction that his Crytek Reddit post got, RiSC probably earned a place on “The Top 5 Enemies of Chris Roberts” list for 2020.

This is what the world looks like when the Gaming Press barely does Games Journalism anymore. If a good, well-researched story comes along, even one written by a stranger on Reddit, then why not throw a kid at it and say “give me 800 words on this”?

Way to go, Risc!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 7, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beexoffel posted:

Cool! I hope I can order that set from outside the UK.

https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/video-games

There's a range of options for the presentation.

G0RF posted:

One of the more memorable of which had Chris telling the audience that CIG was developing a better Nemesis system than Shadows of Mordor had.

To be fair, they did pioneer the box-moving game before that hack Kojima.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

This is what the world looks like when the Gaming Press barely does Games Journalism anymore. If a good, well-researched story comes along, even one written by a stranger on Reddit, then why not throw a kid at it and say “give me 800 words on this”?

Way to go, Risc!

On the other hand, most bullpens these days are living on Twitter and Reddit. The Huffington Post bullpen on the two floors of the Manhatten building was loving ridiculous because they removed the dividers; Ariana had pretensions to be the New York post around the time HP got acquired. Pretty much everyone was on social media all the time, and it was an infectious atmosphere that relied on the cascade of attention deficit teenagers and their low pay requirements to redefine 'journalism' in terms of the flow of content.

Games originally were the diversion of nerds, then EA found that they could couple games to sports and the rest is history. At that point it's all about managing the message. SC has found a bit of a loophole created by people who aren't dumb enough to recall that people have been defining commerce since that once caveman ended up with an extended fish-based portfolio and needed to offload the excess.

This is a period of correction where we're figuring out, on a massively meta scale, if fiction can really hurt, and whether the truth actually matters; as a practical consideration rather than a moral one.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Still blows my mind that it's not even remotely illegal to lie this much.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Elderbean posted:

Still blows my mind that it's not even remotely illegal to lie this much.

Actually it's illegal not to lie to make more money.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

tuo posted:

It sucks and hurts like hell, but was okay. She turned mostly blind overnight, like from one day to the other she could barely see and mostly moved by whiskers and brightness/darkness.Of course this was right before christmas eve, when all the vets are on holiday. She still demanded her food (and ate it, allthough a bit more messy). I skipped new years eve to care about here, because getting blinded and then getting blasted away with the absolute bullshit our country and people do at new years eve I thought would have scared here to death. She was surprisingly calm that night, and snuggled a lot while the rest of the city tried to one-up each other with the biggest bomb they could find.

Three days later - for the very first time in her life - she was't there in the morning to get some food with my other cat. Found her sitting in a corner of a room, without motion, just slow breathing. No sound, no whip of the tail. When I touched her, she did everything she could to walk away into the next corner she could find by her whiskers.

Luckily that day the Vet was open again, and after some quick tests, it was pretty clear that her kidneys have given up, and we put her to rest. Of course I cried like the big baby that I am, but she had 13 good years, and (as far as I can tell) only one really bad day.

Overall I'm kinda glad it went that fast, because I cried a lot giving food to a blind cat, that cries because it doesn't understand why it suddenly can no longer see.

I lost my dog to kidney disease just a few months ago. He was the meanest, smartest, biggest jerk of a dog I've ever known and I still cry when I think about him. I know how much it hurts.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have the previous official CIG roadmap handy? I'd like to compare the last officially released roadmap to the new one and see how disparate they are, my guess is >50% of the previous roadmaps tickets won't even show up on the new map.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is the spaceman scaling the right direction to match Illfonic's implementation of Star Marine?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

When did the commandos start wearing goofy backpacks? Was it before or after Death Stranding came out?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Maybe I don't understand game development but it would appear to me that a nemesis system doesn't make a whole lot of sense for an MMO.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Y'all know that both of their games are now DOA right?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

When did the commandos start wearing goofy backpacks? Was it before or after Death Stranding came out?

After.

Also, it's not a 'goofy backpack', it's a Ryan Archer edition strappy backbox. :)

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
LMAO! Sorry none of this janky poo poo works after almost a decade, so here have a janky rear end jpeg to look at for a while on us.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

DapperDon posted:

LMAO! Sorry none of this janky poo poo works after almost a decade, so here have a janky rear end jpeg to look at for a while on us.

no, you don't get it: the ship is the fix

they're giving you a ship because it's the only way to get past the loving issue

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inacio posted:

they're giving you a ship because it's the only way to get past the loving issue

I'm wondering how hosed up things have to be that this is the workaround.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Inacio posted:

Ah yes, the ol' reach across your elbow to scratch your rear end in a top hat tech maneuver. I know it well from watching this zombie trainwreck.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Quavers posted:

:confused: Purpose of Squadron 42?

From a strategic standpoint, why did the make Squadron 42? Isn't the team already understaffed, so splitting the work among two big projects doesn't seem like the right move

:reddit: SQ42 is a lot simpler than SC, so easier to do that first and use the money generated to complete SC which will take far longer.

:itwaspoo:

Because 40 million dollars a year just isn't enough money for the game that will save pc gaming.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Popete posted:

Anyone have the previous official CIG roadmap handy? I'd like to compare the last officially released roadmap to the new one and see how disparate they are, my guess is >50% of the previous roadmaps tickets won't even show up on the new map.

My guess is they change the methodology in a bunch of ways, perhaps go from 5 stages to 10 stages so it can't be directly compared. Instead of everything being currently on stage 2 of 5, all the tasks will have progressed to stage 3 and 4 out of 10 which is great progress. It'll be roadmap v2 and show everything over two years.

To much applause, Erin will announce that this time it's a realistic timeframe roadmap. Everyone will agree that this has never been said before and always knew all the old roadmaps were hopelessly unrealistic because it motivates people to fail 100% of the time. Missing 100% of scheduled tasks has been the intention for the past 8 years of development but simultaneously this new roadmap is 100% attainable on time and proves any doubters wrong because cognitive dissonance is just a river in Egypt.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

This is such an insane "work around". They clearly have no idea why it's breaking in the first place or it's so fundamentally broke they can't easily fix it.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
The freelancer is one of the most stable ships. I really liked it but got a refund after realising everything else was bullshit.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That ships have different levels of "stability" is pretty funny in itself. Ships should all work mostly the same and you shouldn't have to swap to a different ship to get around some horribly broken component of the ship you want to fly.

Like what in the world is so wrong with this game that a fix is to log into an entirely different game mode and lay down in a different ships bed?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popete posted:

Like what in the world is so wrong with this game that a fix is to log into an entirely different game mode and lay down in a different ships bed?

As always the answer is Chris Roberts.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
They intentionally make each progress report very difficult to compare to six months ago. Then every year they reformat the entire thing. btw I am convinced the "no bamboozles" and other progress summary guys that post LIKE CLOCKWORK on reddit are in some way being compensated by CIG if not actual employees.

What will happen again this year:

shrach posted:

My guess is they change the methodology in a bunch of ways, perhaps go from 5 stages to 10 stages so it can't be directly compared. Instead of everything being currently on stage 2 of 5, all the tasks will have progressed to stage 3 and 4 out of 10 which is great progress. It'll be roadmap v2 and show everything over two years.

To much applause, Erin will announce that this time it's a realistic timeframe roadmap. Everyone will agree that this has never been said before and always knew all the old roadmaps were hopelessly unrealistic because it motivates people to fail 100% of the time. Missing 100% of scheduled tasks has been the intention for the past 8 years of development but simultaneously this new roadmap is 100% attainable on time and proves any doubters wrong because cognitive dissonance is just a river in Egypt.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

iron buns posted:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Inacio posted:

TBH, it would be a pretty hard challenge at a coding jam. Like "the result has to be a game where this is the workaround for an existing bug, now go code a proof-of-concept game that has it".

e: I can only assume what a CIG programmer feels everytime he clicks "go to implementation". The horror....the horror...

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Just wait until the credit dupe hacks really get rolling and a legatus pack's worth of ships can be had for an hour or two of duping. The whale years will be delicious.