Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Noslo posted:

Adding to that, Geralt disliked Stregabor before the story even started because of what he did to the eclipse children. Plus some other past beef they mention that I don't recall the details of. This comes to a climax when Stregabor wants to autopsy Renfri right away and Geralt threatens to kill him if he touches her.

I love the contrast to all of this with a few episodes later during a sorcerors' meeting when someone makes this offhand remark about him like "yeah ok whatever Stregobor :rolleyes: don't you have some more eclipse babies to flay?" That's as much as they give a poo poo about one of their own going crazy from paranoia and becoming a serial killer, as long as he's still doing his job at court then sure go hog wild, chop up all the girls you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As someone who liked the Witcher games and some short stories related to them, and was inundated with reviews about how bad the show was, I honestly really liked the show. The only parts I didn't like were the sort of messy siege scenes and that they for some reason decided to outsource all the cgi on the dragon and various monsters to the same people who did the Polish Witcher tv series, and possibly also the CDi games.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

evilmiera posted:

As someone who liked the Witcher games and some short stories related to them, and was inundated with reviews about how bad the show was, I honestly really liked the show. The only parts I didn't like were the sort of messy siege scenes and that they for some reason decided to outsource all the cgi on the dragon and various monsters to the same people who did the Polish Witcher tv series, and possibly also the CDi games.

Yeah I feel despite the rough spots the show does capture the unique charm of the short stories and the game that separates it from the standard fantasy "good guys vs evil orcs" storylines.

I'd also argue that for Witcher 3 game all the side quests and unique twists are actually more interesting than the main questline.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

evilmiera posted:

The only parts I didn't like were the sort of messy siege scenes and that they for some reason decided to outsource all the cgi on the dragon and various monsters to the same people who did the Polish Witcher tv series, and possibly also the CDi games.

I imagine that was due to them running on a tight budget. Hopefully they'll invest more into the next season.

The CGI budget running dry was really seen with how they did Brokilon. It's just a single set with a few costumed extras and half the screen is lens flare. Really a shame because Ciri's Brokilon story was one of the best, but it would require getting another timeline involved.Geralt finds a runaway child in Brokilon, who turns out to be Ciri, upon which he sends her back home to Cintra, adding another layer to Destiny dunking on Geralt

But they could have used the muppets for all I care, I'm still in the honeymoon phase cause my favorite book series finally got a TV adaptation :parrot:

edit: I think they did Brokilon dirty in the games too. I haven't played the DLC's, but I don't think they ever added it?

seance snacks fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 7, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It technically already had one tbf lol

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Correct, Brokilon was not in any of the games. Dryads were, they were in a pretty forest area in The Witcher 1, but not Brokilon itself.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

esperterra posted:

It technically already had one tbf lol

I'd heard about it and then saw you post it, but I was under the impression it was a fan-fic?

Not saying I'm above it, a witcher themed "soap opera meets backyard wrestling" is right up my alley

edit: nvm, that's just wrestling

seance snacks fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 7, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iirc, some of the VFX were made by the same people behind Avengers Endgame.
There was a lot more CGI than just that sad looking dragon. They probably just ran out of money/time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

itry posted:

There was a lot more CGI than just that sad looking dragon. They probably just ran out of money/time.
"This is where we're going to add a badass looking dragon, the current one is just a placeholder"
"Great, people love dragons. By the way, we've decided to wrap up production next Tuesday."

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Maybe it's me, maybe I'm the one taking crazy pills, but in the djinn episode do people really think it was about Geralt wishing for sleep?

I thought (since it gets called out as ridiculous multiple times and he's cagey about it), it was meant to very obviously be that he's been hunting down leads for a djinn for a wish to undo the child surprise stuff. That yes, technically he can't sleep, but his wish isn't going to be salve on a tumour - he's planning to wish away what's keeping him awake at night.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Noslo posted:

I'd heard about it and then saw you post it, but I was under the impression it was a fan-fic?

Not saying I'm above it, a witcher themed "soap opera meets backyard wrestling" is right up my alley

edit: nvm, that's just wrestling

Nope it was an official, 13 episode season of TV by Poland's like biggest network or smth.

It's not THAT bad tbh it's just super dated, and there's no good subs for it that I know of.

also thx for reminding me i have so much wrestling to catch up on

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

itry posted:

The Striga was REALLY good in comparison to the rest of the monsters and a lot of the magic. Sound design, how it looked, making it actually frightening, all good stuff.

I'm almost thinking that scene and some of the siege stuff was where they blew their budget.

Edit: And I don't mind them not spending a lot of time in Brokilon, since I kept hearing it as Broccoli.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

evilmiera posted:

The Striga was REALLY good in comparison to the rest of the monsters and a lot of the magic. Sound design, how it looked, making it actually frightening, all good stuff.

I'm almost thinking that scene and some of the siege stuff was where they blew their budget.

Edit: And I don't mind them not spending a lot of time in Brokilon, since I kept hearing it as Broccoli.

Some of the set builds and locations would probably have been expensive too. I suspect they had different teams on the CGI, and whatever team did the dragon (and the godawful hanging planetarium from episode three) was probably not the team that worked on the fire stuff in the finale.

The show's lighting was pretty inconsistent too. Not a fan of the decision to make magical glamours (Brokkilon, Stroganoff's magical house) so saturated and bloom-y.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Yo, I really liked this series but really disappointed Geralt didn't solve any Social inequality issues in his society. What kind of role model is he going to be to our young impressionable generations?

Really mad that Geralt didn't marry Yennefer and they had premarital sex.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think it got lost in arguments, but going back to Fringilla and mage assignment, my reading of the situation is that the council didn't want her there because they were worried she'd do exactly what she did: advise them on how to be a world power, and not an easily controlled small kingdom.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Elfface posted:

I think it got lost in arguments, but going back to Fringilla and mage assignment, my reading of the situation is that the council didn't want her there because they were worried she'd do exactly what she did: advise them on how to be a world power, and not an easily controlled small kingdom.

I'm not sure if the show is going to take a different direction later, but Fringilla being responsible for Nilfgaard being as strong as they are is a joke. At best, she's a strong advisor to a lord she absolutely adores and worships. The White Flame, without saying more than that, is the power behind Nilfgaard and he absolutely deserves to be.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

evilmiera posted:

The Striga fight was pretty good overall. The CGI in the Geralt vs. 7 not-dwarfs fight was good too.

All the times he used Aard were great.

Elfface posted:

Fringilla was clearly influenced by Nilfgaard, not the other way around.

Strong Convections posted:

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm the one taking crazy pills, but in the djinn episode do people really think it was about Geralt wishing for sleep?

I thought (since it gets called out as ridiculous multiple times and he's cagey about it), it was meant to very obviously be that he's been hunting down leads for a djinn for a wish to undo the child surprise stuff. That yes, technically he can't sleep, but his wish isn't going to be salve on a tumour - he's planning to wish away what's keeping him awake at night.

That's some next level overthinking.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

I thought that was fairly obvious that Geralt wasn't going to wish for sleep, he wanted the Child surprise bond severed. There are far less risky and morally objectionable ways to cure insomnia than resorting to a bound Djinn. Apparently we are both taking crazy pills.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"This is where we're going to add a badass looking dragon, the current one is just a placeholder"
"Great, people love dragons. By the way, we've decided to wrap up production next Tuesday."

It honestly could be true.

Iron Maiden did that to themselves when the artist sent them the below cover as a reference and they were like, "BRILLIANT - SHIP IT"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Servetus posted:

I thought that was fairly obvious that Geralt wasn't going to wish for sleep, he wanted the Child surprise bond severed. There are far less risky and morally objectionable ways to cure insomnia than resorting to a bound Djinn. Apparently we are both taking crazy pills.

I got the impression that he wasn't going to wish for anything, because he didnt actually expect to catch the djinn. He couldn't sleep, so he went fishing just for something to do, and whoops turns out that dumb djinn legend is true after all.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Folks are split on it i'm sure, but I prefer the book when he wasn't looking for the Djinn at all. Him and Dandejaskier were actually just hanging out and fishing and having a fun bit of dialogue. I also like that it makes Dandelion look like less of a pest who keeps coming up out of nowhere.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

This is a cool take on it, but unfortunately the Djinn occurs awhile before Ciri is even born.

edit: nvm, I was thinking the books, but in the show it seems they moved Geralt and Yen meeting to right after Ciri is born/law of surprise.

seance snacks fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 7, 2020

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Servetus posted:

The Witcher: Destiny is real, and strong, and a motherfucker.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Noslo posted:

This is a cool take on it, but unfortunately the Djinn occurs awhile before Ciri is even born.

Not sure what this means? The Djinn story (at least in the show) clearly happens after he's claimed a child surprise. Whether she's born or not (I can't remember the timeline exactly) he's still bound to her.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Open Source Idiom posted:

The show's lighting was pretty inconsistent too. Not a fan of the decision to make magical glamours (Brokkilon, Stroganoff's magical house) so saturated and bloom-y.
I feel like it was meant to invoke romanticist paintings, which I think is a pretty good idea from a thematic standpoint - that style sorta being tied to an idealized version of the kind of setting the Witcher takes place - meaning the real world can be drab and gritty, while glamours appear more dramatic, painterly, designed. It definitely needed another pass or two to really work though, and Brokkilon in particular needed to be more dramatic and unreal, rather than just be a regular forest with some weird bloom.

chaosapiant posted:

Not sure what this means? The Djinn story (at least in the show) clearly happens after he's claimed a child surprise. Whether she's born or not (I can't remember the timeline exactly) he's still bound to her.
Geralt tried to have a magical abortion, but ended up magically married to Yen instead.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Noslo posted:

edit: nvm, I was thinking the books, but in the show it seems they moved Geralt and Yen meeting to right after Ciri is born/law of surprise.

Jaskier mentions it being years, maybe even a decade, since they last saw each other shortly before they find the Djinn. So its likely that it's only meant to be a few years at most before the invasion of Cintra.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know it's the games but they have generally good continuity with the books. Yennefer mentions at one point that she and geralt have had their on again off again relationship for maybe fifteen twenty years (counting the 4-5 year interim between the games and the books) so Ciri was definitely born before they met one another.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

chaosapiant posted:

Folks are split on it i'm sure, but I prefer the book when he wasn't looking for the Djinn at all. Him and Dandejaskier were actually just hanging out and fishing and having a fun bit of dialogue. I also like that it makes Dandelion look like less of a pest who keeps coming up out of nowhere.

I didn't like the change of Geralt and Jaskilion not knowing each other, though I get it entirely. I love when in the books, they're just a pair of knuckleheads on the road together, enjoying each other's company even though they argue.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline

"The Last Wish" (Djinn story) isn't on there, as the story wasn't given a specific year.

However, "A Shard of Ice" is dated to 1251 at the latest.

Ciri was born in 1253

(That being said, dating a "A Shard of Ice" is itself a bit wonky because the last book written was a prequel that takes place in 1251, notably after the events in "A Shard of Ice". There's also a contradiction that the prequel took place a few years earlier in 1245, as the author kinda goofed what he wrote in the saga versus the prequel he wrote years later after he had ended the series.)

:goonsay:

seance snacks fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 7, 2020

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

itry posted:

If you're talking about the episode with the assassin, she was weak because she's been "wiping royal asses" for 30 years instead of challenging herself.

I mean yeah, you can explain it all day, but you'd expect that when the lowest of low hunchback worth 4 coins character gets power, they might relish it, do some cruelty, gain some more status, then find that disappointing, THEN look for baby. The relishing was a dumb dance scene, then back to lost/aimless person.

It's lame (hah) writing, but i get smashing everything into 1 season cause they might not get renewed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naXzKGGDhx4

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Wrote a better version of that Witcher song that is completely original and not based on Piano Man

Toss him a coin, he’s the Witcher, man

Toss him a coin tonight

Cause we’re all in the mood for some witching now

And he’s good at witching, alright?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Colonel Whitey posted:

Wrote a better version of that Witcher song that is completely original and not based on Piano Man

Toss him a coin, he’s the Witcher, man

Toss him a coin tonight

Cause we’re all in the mood for some witching now

And he’s good at witching, alright?

hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm
hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm gently caress

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dienes posted:

hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm
hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm gently caress

Fol Test Dummies

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
This is an ugly, bad show. I just watched the first episode and it was like 90% unnecessary dialogue exposition.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

UmOk posted:

This is an ugly, bad show. I just watched the first episode and it was like 90% unnecessary dialogue exposition.

tell us more about your ideas of how it should have been

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I disagree, I think the show is good. It seems we are at an impasse

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I liked how hobo Geralt walked through the door into Stregobor's illusion and he's suddenly got pretty hair and undamaged armour.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I liked how hobo Geralt walked through the door into Stregobor's illusion and he's suddenly got pretty hair and undamaged armour.

Stegobor wants Geralt to look pretty and clean and not drive away his naked lady illusions because Geralt often doesn't smell good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Just finished the first season - it was a lot of fun but I think I had a lot more fun with the Geralt one-off adventures with Jaskier than I did with any of the overarching stuff. The supposedly climactic battle at the end was fun with all the magic (I do enjoy how magic really does come at a cost in this show) but its not super clear to me why any character is invested in it.

Yennefer is a surprisingly well-written character for being someone who has come through a lot of hardship and is sympathetic in a lot of ways, but is also selfish and duplicitous. Well done, pulp fantasy show! That's an impressive accomplishment for something like this.

Anyway give me more Henry Cavill hacking poo poo up with Jaskier singing dumb songs, thats the best part.