Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ehud posted:

Disney, huh?

glossy looking PG-13 Alien movies with a cast of non-stop quip-spewing characters

no

I can't wait for the Avengers to fight aliens

this is sarcasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd take it over another rehash of "Xenos get on a ship" or boring AI plots. I don't mind AI plots taking focus, but like, actually make me give a crap. This Diet Data-meets-Frankenstein poo poo isn't compelling.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ehud posted:

Disney, huh?

glossy looking PG-13 Alien movies with a cast of non-stop quip-spewing characters

no

lol if you think Ridley Scott is going to suffer the input of some empty Disney suit on his movie.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ehud posted:

Disney, huh?

no

That's actually true.

hmm...

I want more Aliens and I'm not happy with the 2 new movies. I don't like the direction they took, the acting wasn't great, and I just flat up didn't like the stories. Disney makes solid movies for the masses and will probably dumb it down for the average movie goer. And yeah, a PG-13 Aliens is just.... heresy. Does Disney even make R movies?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ruddiger posted:

lol if you think Ridley Scott is going to suffer the input of some empty Disney suit on his movie.

lmao if you think even he has the power to resist the Mouse

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

lmao if you think even he has the power to resist the Mouse

When does Earth get renamed Disney Planet?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Alienz

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Little mickey mouse head all popping out of John Hurts chest

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's actually true.

hmm...

I want more Aliens and I'm not happy with the 2 new movies. I don't like the direction they took, the acting wasn't great, and I just flat up didn't like the stories. Disney makes solid movies for the masses and will probably dumb it down for the average movie goer. And yeah, a PG-13 Aliens is just.... heresy. Does Disney even make R movies?

I was wondering that. Off the top of my head Disney had MGM & Miramax (for a while) was their studios for their R-rated stuff.

Looking at ithe film studios Disney owns now, I guess they can use Touchstone Pictures for Aliens.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you need to go younger with Hicks, just cast

Jasper Paakkonen
Edit: Apparently I had this idea 6 months ago too.

Yeah, watching Blackkklansman and I had tge same reaction.

Either him or the guy who played the cyborg mercenary leader in Upgrade got that Biehn look to them.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Have both Jasper Paakkonen in a movie where the former is playing a robot/synthetic version of Michael Biehn and they duke it out in the end. Or a time-travel movie like Looper.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

After what Disney did with Marvel, I’m okay with then taking a crack at Aliens. Worst case is we get the Star Wars treatment, which has been several great TV shows and a bunch of movies I found entertaining at the very least, which is more than I can say of Fox’s treatment of the franchise over the last 8 years.

I’d love to see a Blomkamp-directed Aliens: Labyrinth, though. That would be loving crazy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TBH doing the Late 90's Dark Horse kitchen sink crossover Aliens Vs. Predator Vs. RoboCop Vs. Frankenstien Vs. The Mummy thing with the properties they are Blobbing up would at least be delightfully self-aware schlock instead of the mostly joyless schlock of their Star Wars films.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

After what Disney did with Marvel, I’m okay with then taking a crack at Aliens. Worst case is we get the Star Wars treatment, which has been several great TV shows and a bunch of movies I found entertaining at the very least, which is more than I can say of Fox’s treatment of the franchise over the last 8 years.

This is basically my opinion. I'm a sucker for superhero movies and I think they did a good job with them. Cinematic masterpieces? No, but fun and entertaining. If they bring more people into the Alien universe then good. Maybe they'll then watch Alien and Aliens and see the true light.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I was trying to look this up and came upon some disappointing news,

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/577298/extraterrorestrial-alien-encounter-scariest-walt-disney-world-ride

quote:

By that point, Disney had already spent eight years developing the ride, which was meant to be the showpiece of Tomorrowland's $100 million makeover. It frightened early test-riders—the Orlando Sentinel reported people screaming over the dialogue and running for the exit—but Eisner felt the ride wasn't scary enough. Instead of clearing it to open later that month as planned, he ordered the park’s designers (also known as Imagineers) to shut it down and ramp up the intensity.

Goddamn suits, would have been sweet.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Just give us a Colonial Marines TV series following a platoon from misadventure to misadventure across backwater colonies and stuff. Have them gleefully blasting their way through every problem from putting down space worker's strikes, scoring with Arcturians or exterminating space cockroaches. Culminate the whole thing with an encount with actual xenos and them getting their asses kicked in a horrific fashion.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't wait for the Avengers to fight aliens

this is sarcasm

So, you don't want to see an Avengers movie where they have to fight the Brood?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Wild T posted:

Just give us a Colonial Marines TV series following a platoon from misadventure to misadventure across backwater colonies and stuff. Have them gleefully blasting their way through every problem from putting down space worker's strikes, scoring with Arcturians or exterminating space cockroaches. Culminate the whole thing with an encount with actual xenos and them getting their asses kicked in a horrific fashion.

Anthology style Aliens/Predator Power Hour long exploring different time periods and protagonists. Napoleon Vs Predator episode. Stranded USCM/UPP soldier vs Alien Enemy Mine episode. Alien Vs Aztecs. Synthetic revolt abetted by Predators. The mix and match possibilities could give you ten seasons.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I was trying to look this up and came upon some disappointing news,

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/577298/extraterrorestrial-alien-encounter-scariest-walt-disney-world-ride

Goddamn suits, would have been sweet.

I remember that ride(?) and it was hands-done the scariest theme park thing I've experienced. When the lights cut out & it was complete darkness after the creature escaped, there wails of crying children was amazing. Add the seats moving & a little air nozzle behind your head to simulate the alien breathing down your neck, you get a :allbuttons: moment.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Android Apocalypse posted:

I remember that ride(?) and it was hands-done the scariest theme park thing I've experienced. When the lights cut out & it was complete darkness after the creature escaped, there wails of crying children was amazing. Add the seats moving & a little air nozzle behind your head to simulate the alien breathing down your neck, you get a :allbuttons: moment.

Yeah, it owned. That's all I can really say about that

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Was it as cool as the officially-licensed Alien War attraction?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Anthology style Aliens/Predator Power Hour long exploring different time periods and protagonists. Napoleon Vs Predator episode. Stranded USCM/UPP soldier vs Alien Enemy Mine episode. Alien Vs Aztecs. Synthetic revolt abetted by Predators. The mix and match possibilities could give you ten seasons.
That sounds expensive as gently caress is there any way we can shoot this in a Vancouver backlot with $20 and some ribbon candy

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vagabundo posted:

So, you don't want to see an Avengers movie where they have to fight the Brood?

:thunk:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know context and I don't want to

but

:barf:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

but

This is why I avoid diviantart

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
For a moment I thought the artist was Arthur Adams, but I saw the signature & realize it isn't.

For reference, here's an actual Arthur Adams rendition of a Xenomorph:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I think that Alien: Isolation could be adapted into a movie without too much mangling.

Amanda Ripley, stranded on the crippled Sevastapol station, deals with hostile synthetics, paranoid groups of survivors, and the ever-lurking threat of the xeno, while she uses her wits, engineering skills, and bravery to stay alive.

You've got this perfect self-contained story, complete with references forwards and backwards in the Alien timeline, and it could reestablish the creeping horror and suspense of the first movie. But, I'm sure somebody would gently caress it up by shoving a romance subplot in there.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I enjoyed Alien: Isolation but I'm gonna be real with you, thread.

I wish it had been about anyone other than Amanda Ripley. Leave the fated bloodlines and dynastic heroism to Star Wars.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

I wish it had been about anyone other than Amanda Ripley. Leave the fated bloodlines and dynastic heroism to Star Wars.

I think it gets a pass because the premise is that Ripley goes missing so her daughter goes looking. Perfectly reasonable premise to me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Owlbear Camus posted:

I mean yeah, it could have worked with a rando, but at least there's an appropriate motivation for Amanda Ripley to be out there in space.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

but

Somehow much more gross than anything in the Alien series.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Much like they don't gently caress each other over for a goddamn percentage, they also don't do gross body horror because they're horny about it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Wild T posted:

Reminds me of the Roughnecks tv series. Much closer to the book than the movie.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Wild T posted:

But Bill Paxton is dead. :(

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Mushika posted:

Game over man

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mushika posted:

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Has anyone posted the best clip from Aliens yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEnoLnq8OZg

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

but

Its a thing with a bunch of crossovers..

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Brood_(Race)

Overview
The Brood are insectoids beings travelling through space to find hosts to infest with their spawn. It is a specialized race, one that has evolved to reproduce and consume any available resources.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

gently caress Man posted:

Has anyone posted the best clip from Aliens yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEnoLnq8OZg

A-ffirmative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Mushika posted:

Get the next best thing, the platoon is led by a grizzled old veteran Marine played by Bill Murray.