Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is TBD supposed to take place before or after WotS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The Clowner posted:

Is TBD supposed to take place before or after WotS?

She’s in front of a giant memorial to Gideon, so presumably afterwards

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Oh the joke is that she's turning random other creatures into Gideons. I get it now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo I’m absolutely doing this to Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

And boros mentor.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yo I’m absolutely doing this to Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin

How would the ordering of effects work for these? Could you choose to have Taranika's effect occur before other "whenever <x> attacks" effects?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DaveWoo posted:

How would the ordering of effects work for these? Could you choose to have Taranika's effect occur before other "whenever <x> attacks" effects?

The mentor creature in question would already need to have a legal target when it attacks so mentor could trigger, but yeah, you could stack it so Taranika resolves first, and then give the counter to anything with 3 power or less.

Edit: Actually, the target is chosen when mentor goes on the stack.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

DaveWoo posted:

You would be able to layer Taranika's effect below a mentor trigger to put +1/+1 counters on a creature and then buff it too big to be a legal target, but you can't use Taranika to buff a creature and then have it mentor something that was larger than it without the buff because Mentor checks validity on targeting and resolution.

Putting Taranika's effect on top of Krenko's effect works just fine though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah who cares about Mentor I’m just making an assload of goblins

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mezzanon posted:

Suppression field exists and is white

good news!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It lets you turn Swiftblade vindicator into a 5/5 with even a single counter on it. Or make your Legion Warboss indestructible so they can't stop the goblin flood.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah who cares about Mentor I’m just making an assload of goblins

I mean look

Attack once with Krenko, Taranika, and a mentor creature.

Mentor resolves first, giving Krenko a +1/+1. Then, Taranika buffs Krenko, making him a 5/5. Then Krenko ability resolves.

Six! Six Goblin tokens! Ah ah ah!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lone Goat posted:

good news!

Noice.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

good news!

Neat! Could have been more aggressive though, but it's a start.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

https://twitter.com/mrpandamtg/status/1214566920260743169?s=21

Tainen fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 7, 2020

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

I don't foresee this making waves in Standard, but I love its design.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I like how he turns enchantments into O Rings.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

+1 Card Advantage -3 Removal -7 Ultimate, huh

quote:

"Skophos's Labyrinth Guardian"
3R
Creature - Minotaur Warrior
1: Skophos's Labyrinth Guardian gets +1/-1 until the end of turn.

Whenever another target creature becomes the target of a land you control named Labyrinth of Skophos, you may have Skophos's Labyrinth Guardian fight that creature.
Illus. Jason Rainville 3/4

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah that planeswalker is about as boring as it could possibly be, whelp that’s a shame, I was really hoping that they’d moved away from that didn’t space.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

I like how he turns enchantments into O Rings.

Yea, me too.

I fear his +1 is gonna whiff so often though. Your deck's spells are gonna have to > 90% enchantments

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

a +1 that will whiff a not insignificant portion of the time, a -3 that is strong but leaves him very vulnerable and leaves open interactions that make it just do nothing or worse than nothing, and a -7 that's just another 4 mana spell in his colors.

seems pretty weaksauce for a 4 mana walker.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

That's an insanely parasitic design. I thought they tried to steer away from that stuff.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Are you saying the minotaur has no balls?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Retromancer posted:

That's an insanely parasitic design. I thought they tried to steer away from that stuff.

They happily do parasitic design in flavorful, small doses. They just try to avoid making a whole set's mechanics parasitic.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

:what:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's super thematic though. Just needs a rider like "If that creature is Theseus, it gains indestructable and deathtouch."

Labratory Marlin has Ice Cauldron amounts of text, but I'm ready for mono blue self-mill to get another tool so I can try and lose with it some more.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

good news!

Hey, this cards great

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
A Traumatize reprint would actually be really funny in this block with Escape.

Not good, but funny.

Also planeswalker hatebear owns.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This reasonably wins the game on a draft board stall if you’re playing mono-blue, doesn’t it?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Really excited about that hatebear. Doesn't do much against Fires, I guess, but Teferi + bounce is a lot worse when it costs 4.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Labratory Marlin has Ice Cauldron amounts of text, but I'm ready for mono blue self-mill to get another tool so I can try and lose with it some more.

on this note, today's DailyMTG article is pretty interesting. it's actually about how rares and mythics were wordier than they wanted and had to cut them down

some choice quotes

quote:

For example, the set contains a blue-red legendary creature named Dalakos. This was a top-down design based on the Daedalus character from Greek mythology, and the card was intended for a Commander audience. And it was ridiculous. It was a soup of 66 fiddly, process-intensive words that was trying to inspire a Commander deck that doesn't currently exist. I liked that we were playing in novel space, but at some point, we were experimenting with templating the card using a two-column bulleted list in the middle of a paragraph. This design is now resting comfortably in a shallow grave behind the Chihuly Glass Garden.

quote:

Calix, a new planeswalker, lost his fourth ability. This was a cool static ability that was fun to read and let you put extra loyalty counters on him in a nontraditional way—but if the choices were "we can't even print this card because the text doesn't fit" and "we can print this card with its three other abilities and adjust its numbers to compensate for the couple of loyalty counters per game it'll no longer receive," the choice was easy.

I guess that's why calix is so boring

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
That hatebear is extremely medium and it's sad how far we've come from Thalia. Really feels like it could have taxed walkers more if it's going to be that narrow.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Fingers McLongDong posted:

That hatebear is extremely medium and it's sad how far we've come from Thalia. Really feels like it could have taxed walkers more if it's going to be that narrow.

nice to vial in response to a planewalker being played, as opposed to a thalia

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Unlike Thalia, it isn't legendary.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

It it were a 2 tax it probably would have had to be legendary, I guess. Maybe at 1 it could have also hit non-mana abilities on artifacts.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

lab marlin is just a straight up upgrade over lab man in a lot of decks that care about that effect

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Breaking the sacred color pie to give it Flash so you could respond to an on-curve walker on the stack would be funny.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Elyv posted:

on this note, today's DailyMTG article is pretty interesting. it's actually about how rares and mythics were wordier than they wanted and had to cut them down

some choice quotes

I guess that's why calix is so boring

I assume the alt-loyalty condition was "when an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control other than from your hand, add a loyalty" and they couldn't decide how to word it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uggy posted:

nice to vial in response to a planewalker being played, as opposed to a thalia

You can already do that with phyrexian revoker, which is way less narrow. It's ok, I just don't see where it's going to be overly useful. Also if you have thalia in play then the walker already costs 1 more so it can't be used on curve.

I get that it's not legendary but who is going to play 4 of these just to inconvenience some control decks?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

good news!

I'm running 4 of these regardless of meta viability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Retromancer posted:

a +1 that will whiff a not insignificant portion of the time, a -3 that is strong but leaves him very vulnerable and leaves open interactions that make it just do nothing or worse than nothing, and a -7 that's just another 4 mana spell in his colors.

seems pretty weaksauce for a 4 mana walker.

fwiw, replenish is an insanely good card