Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Impermanent posted:

Got my copy of living planet in. Looks pretty brutal, hope it lives up to that impression.

I played the short game (8 rounds) this weekend and it was indeed brutal. One player would have won handily until someone else crashed the oil market forcing him to sell all 5 of his oil immediately at 1 dollar instead of 10. For reference, every 5 dollars is a vp and he ended up with 25 points instead of 34.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got my first game of Food Chain Magnate. Four players.

Opening plays were:
Recruiting Girl x 1
Trainer x 2
Kitchen Trainee x 1?!

Needless to say, the Kitchen Trainee guy did nothing all game but sit on the freezer / food / drink milestones and gently caress up the price war end game. I went trainer into guru, and came in a decent second place. Was one turn short of a burger pivot that would've left me as the only person with burgers and both Brand Directors. :argh: My own fault, hosed up my rollout turns 5-8 and missed the early drink buyer milestones. Very fun game, and definitely as dense / intense as its reputation indicates.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

Was one turn short of a burger pivot that would've left me as the only person with burgers and both Brand Directors.

In addition to being limited by player count, the 1x employees are limited to 1 per player.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Christmas is always a good board game playing time for me. Played some new ones, and replayed some old favorites.

Azul with the promo factories and double-score expansion is just great. That got played probably 20 times over the course of two weeks (though I only played 2 or 3 times). Won a tight one with 73 points, with two players tied for second at 72 points. :eyepop:

Star Wars Outer Rim got to the table twice. The sneakiness and subterfuge makes the game really interesting. I wonder if it will get an expansion to balance it up a bit and add some new options for gaining Fame.

Got a near perfect score (24 of 25) in Hanabi with 5 players. When that game works, it's really fun. When players are distracted or clueless, it is an exercise in frustration and suffering.

Played a round of Whitehall Mystery as Jack, and barely snuck away with the win. I think overall Jack gets caught in 3 of 4 games, so this was refreshing to finally win.

Got Valley of the Kings Premium and I am in love with it. I had previously only had Afterlife, and the cards from the other expansions are brutally interactive. I played with 5 players both times, and tbh I think 5 players is too much. It's really hard to keep track of who is buying what with 5, and the pyramid will frequently get entirely wiped by the time it's your turn which makes it feel like the bad kind of market row. I have found that I don't hate the tarot sized cards, and I really appreciate the included sleeves and dividers.

Patchwork also hit the table a couple dozen times. What a neat little game.

I also played a game called Parade that was pretty interesting. It's a light little card game that appears to be sold out everywhere. Easy to learn, fast to play, and the artwork is great (Alice in Wonderland themed)

Played several games of Sonar. I also learned that the more experienced player on a team should DEFINITELY be the radio operator, not the captain. Even my 7 year old nephew was able to grasp the captain role pretty well and played without mistakes.

Every time I play Keyforge I think "I wish I played Keyforge more often". It's a great casual, chill game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think Outer Rim is better if everyone plays bounty hunters or everyone plays the good dudes, it limits the worst excesses of its Ameritrash nature. I. E. If your Han Solo get this guy for free! If you're Bobbly Fett go gently caress yourself!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

tokenbrownguy posted:

Opening plays were:
Recruiting Girl x 1
Trainer x 2
Kitchen Trainee x 1?!

Needless to say, the Kitchen Trainee guy did nothing all game but sit on the freezer / food / drink milestones and gently caress up the price war end game.

I hope kitchen trainee didn't sit on the drink milestones, because they can't make drinks.

edit: oh you mean the player

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Got to play Living Planet. Some general thoughts from one short game:

It's a perfect Euro/Ameritrash hybrid IMO
It's insanely prone to AP at low skill levels, because you haven't internalized what's going on and the decision space is huge huge huge and things that you choose on your turn can have a big time effect on other players
It's incredibly cutthroat and leaving yourself open in some way can cost you dearly
Oh man does it suck rear end to suddenly get gutted by a move you didn't see coming

I don't think this replaces Archipelago. But it does hit a lot of the same notes of "I'm buildin' an empire here...y'all better watch out...what in the everloving hell? All my poo poo is burning!??!?!?"

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This thread is honestly the worst, it makes you want every single boardgame. I'm broke at the moment but a job is right around the corner, and I'm just thinking of all the boardgames I can buy instead of other useless stuff like videogames, or going to the cinema, or buying sushi.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Qubee posted:

This thread is honestly the worst, it makes you want every single boardgame. I'm broke at the moment but a job is right around the corner, and I'm just thinking of all the boardgames I can buy instead of other useless stuff like videogames, or going to the cinema, or buying sushi.

Hit it hard early and if you're lucky after a year you'll realize you don't want anymore new stuff.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Three plays of Living Planet at 2 players in. It definitely has Archipelago's DNA, but the market manipulation and player-determined catastrophes mean there are more opportunities to be cruel. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up to repeated play at 2 players, but I think it's really going to be best at 4.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

al-azad posted:

Hit it hard early and if you're lucky after a year you'll realize you don't want anymore new stuff.

Two hundred and thirty nine titles and twenty years later and it still hasn't happened yet. I might have a problem. (And a couple of games that aren't listed on bgg)

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Qubee posted:

What kinds of games do you like/want? I need to make some room on my shelves and might be able to send something your way. Feel free to PM if you're more comfortable.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The Dice Tower had an unboxing for the Tiny Towns: Fortune expansion. Luckily it wasn't Tom narrating.

It looks like the items are:
Wooden coin tokens, and a few more normal resource cubes because 6p games were running low sometimes?
A new scoring pad with the extra 'coins' line, which are worth 1vp at the end of the game.
6 large chest cardboard cutouts to store your coins and remind you what you can do with them
The new building cards, which looked like 2 per type, plus 8-10 new monuments, most of which deal with getting or using coins to do various things.

So, it goes from 4 cards per building type, to 6 cards per building type, which is a nice boost, but it's hard to overlap them too much when the two new cards create/use resources that the other four cards don't deal with. I wonder how well it will integrate if the new buildings require things the old buildings don't provide.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

al-azad posted:

I think this is where I'm at. Aside from expansions/sequels to games I already own and love, there's only a handful of new games I'm interested in. I'm mostly content with my library. I have about 40 games (and lots of expansions).

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Llyranor posted:

I think this is where I'm at. Aside from expansions/sequels to games I already own and love, there's only a handful of new games I'm interested in. I'm mostly content with my library. I have about 40 games (and lots of expansions).

Yeah, basically every new game I get would replace one I already own and want to play.

I already have great games in most categories of games, so anything new either has to establish itself as a new category, be an improvement over an existing one, or be a new game from a designer I like.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

al-azad posted:

This didn't work the first time. I bought like 9 different games and people were like "slow down, you're good for a long long time". But I need another hit. Just one more. And then I'll stop. I promise.

Grundma posted:

What kinds of games do you like/want? I need to make some room on my shelves and might be able to send something your way. Feel free to PM if you're more comfortable.

I'm UK based and I wouldn't be able to take you up on that offer, I'm nowhere near enough of a regular poster to accept that kinda generosity. But thank you. Donate it somewhere it'd get good use? My mind instantly jumped to an orphanage for some reason.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I subscribe to a finite square frontage model. I have 34 Kallax squares worth of games. That’s why stuff like In the Year of the Dragon share a box with Notre Dame.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Llyranor posted:

Same. And now my wife has become interested in Power Grid, so I have that to play with her including all the expansion boards :getin:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

djfooboo posted:

I subscribe to a finite square frontage model. I have 34 Kallax squares worth of games. That’s why stuff like In the Year of the Dragon share a box with Notre Dame.

It should be illegal to release games which do not fit into a Kallax or division of one.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Aramoro posted:

It should be illegal to release games which do not fit into a Kallax or division of one.

I took out some dividers to make 3 2x1 shelves in my 4x4

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aramoro posted:

My games are on a ceiling-height toolrack.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I had 2 2x2s that got repurposed to decorative shelving and now I have a single 3x3 and that's about perfect. I keep all my small games in a wooden crate on top but the 3x3 forces me to keep a pretty tight collection (and rebox a few games) but I probably should have gone with the 4x4 because of stuff like the Battlecon crate coming. I'll probably keep one of the old small boxes and use that to transport a subset of character boxes for travel.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Double post to say that The Estates is $40 on Amazon with free shipping. Really great brutal auction game.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYJ2Q26/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_QIkfEbPJGNGR5

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Afriscipio posted:

Three plays of Living Planet at 2 players in. It definitely has Archipelago's DNA, but the market manipulation and player-determined catastrophes mean there are more opportunities to be cruel. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up to repeated play at 2 players, but I think it's really going to be best at 4.

I mean, the game gives you "dummy" players that do random poo poo to get it to 4 players even with 2, it's absolutely better at a true 4 players all scheming to screw you over with well timed cataclysms and stock market manipulations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Looking for recommendations for good 2 player cooperative games, preferably not too hard, complex, or expensive (over $75). We've already played:

Spirit Island
Forbidden Island
Gloomhaven
Pandemic Legacy
various EXIT and Unlock games
Arkham Horror LCG
LotR LCG
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game
Aeon's End

My friend is hoping for something with a good amount of replayability, but I don't really mind playing through a game and moving on.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

Looking for recommendations for good 2 player cooperative games, preferably not too hard, complex, or expensive (over $75). We've already played:

Spirit Island
Forbidden Island
Gloomhaven
Pandemic Legacy
Arkham Horror LCG
LotR LCG
Aeon's End

My friend is hoping for something with a good amount of replayability, but I don't really mind playing through a game and moving on.

TIME Stories, though the stories themselves are of varying quality.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Spirit Island
Forbidden Island
Gloomhaven
Pandemic Legacy
Arkham Horror LCG
LotR LCG
Aeon's End

Legends of Andor (coop euro efficiency puzzle disguised as a fantasy adventure)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Time Stories is worse than every game listed there. Can't recommend it at all. Expensive, non-replayable, just plain bad.

I'd recommend some of the Pandemic variants if you enjoyed Legacy. Rome and Iberia are the best two I think. Burgle Bros might be a good pick too.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 7, 2020

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Spirit Island
Forbidden Island
Gloomhaven
Pandemic Legacy
Arkham Horror LCG
LotR LCG
Aeon's End

Codenames Duet

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

sirtommygunn posted:

Looking for recommendations for good 2 player cooperative games

What about Gloo-

sirtommygunn posted:

preferably not too hard,

Well I mea-

Oh uh well-

sirtommygunn posted:

or expensive (over $75).

poo poo.

Really though I wonder why there aren't any two-player ONLY co-operative games. Like, not a co-op game that plays well at two, I mean a game that only plays at two. Preferably with asymetric roles. Unless there are and I've missed them all.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mage Knight only plays 1 or 2.

The box is lying.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!

sirtommygunn posted:

Spirit Island
Forbidden Island
Gloomhaven
Pandemic Legacy
Arkham Horror LCG
LotR LCG
Aeon's End

I'm loving Marvel Champions, if either party is at all a Marvel fan this hits all criteria. Happy to write up an effort post to explain more!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There's yet another Dominion expansion coming.

quote:

Dominion, that’s what you’re trying to achieve. This time with animals! They each have a lesson to teach, whether it’s how to spit really far, or what kind of grass tastes the best. It’s a lot to keep track of, but you’re like an elephant: you remember everything. And you’re afraid of mice. You’ve taken up riding. Horses are intimidating; they say you can lead a horse to water, but you haven’t managed it. So you’re working your way up, starting with dogs. So far so good; the dog hasn’t bucked you off yet. Your menagerie got off to a poor start, with just a goat, two rats, and the advisor who suggested starting a menagerie. You couldn’t get that fox you wanted, but it was probably bad anyway. Now you’ve got some camels, which are just as useless for sewing as you’d been warned, and a turtle that can hold its breath for longer than anyone can stay interested. Soon the animal kingdom will be yours.

This is the 13th expansion to Dominion®. It has 400 cards, with 30 new Kingdom cards. There are Horses that save a draw for later, Exile mats that cards can be sent to and rescued from, and Ways that give Actions another option. Events return.

So we've had +money tokens (coins), +action tokens (villagers), and now we'll get +card tokens (horses).

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 7, 2020

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Morpheus posted:

What about Gloo-
Well I mea-
Oh uh well-
poo poo.
Really though I wonder why there aren't any two-player ONLY co-operative games. Like, not a co-op game that plays well at two, I mean a game that only plays at two. Preferably with asymetric roles. Unless there are and I've missed them all.

Keep in mind that none of those are dealbreakers if the game makes up for it in other ways. We've loved Gloomhaven and will definitely be buying into the Frosthaven kickstarter, whenever that shows up.

OurIntrepidHero posted:

I'm loving Marvel Champions, if either party is at all a Marvel fan this hits all criteria. Happy to write up an effort post to explain more!

We've looked at it, but my friend has less than zero interest in trying it and I'm not particularly enthusiastic about how it looks myself. It's not helped in that we both feel a bit burned by both Lord of the Rings and Arkham Horror LCG's feeling worse as the cycles go on.

silvergoose posted:

Mage Knight only plays 1 or 2.

The box is lying.

I've been considering it for awhile but the price and the complexity have kept me wary of it.

Aramoro posted:

TIME Stories, though the stories themselves are of varying quality.

Well, I like the premise but what I keep hearing about it is-

Bottom Liner posted:

Time Stories is worse than every game listed there. Can't recommend it at all. Expensive, non-replayable, just plain bad.

Yeah.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'd recommend some of the Pandemic variants if you enjoyed Legacy. Rome and Iberia are the best two I think. Burgle Bros might be a good pick too.

We had a lot of fun with pandemic legacy, but when we finished it we felt it would be weird to backtrack to a more "basic" version of the game. It's been awhile since then, though, so I'll look into those.

Llyranor posted:

Legends of Andor (coop euro efficiency puzzle disguised as a fantasy adventure)

Never heard of it, but I'll look into it now.

prokaryote posted:

Codenames Duet

I loved Codenames the few times I could get 3 friends together, so I myself am unsure why I haven't picked up Duet yet.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I got burned out on buying Dominion expansions a long time ago, but actually some of the best mechanics have come out of some of the more recent expansions (projects, landmarks, and events). I consider them such a core part of the game now it feels ridiculously vanilla to play without them. I used to think "man another one??" but if he can keep up anywhere near that level of innovation considering how much has come before and how narrow the design space actually is then I guess bring them on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I boxed Nocturne in it's own longbox with a set of basecards and we've been enjoying it as its own game for a year now. Such a different game but still great. Renaissance was also great as a more standard expansion.

Asmodee crunch starts

quote:

A large amount of people have been laid off from Fantasy Flight Games and Fantasy Flight Interactive.

Fantasy Flight Interactive is set to be closed down completely.

Most, if not all, the RPG department has been laid off.

Numerous other employees have been cut in an large reorganization of the the entire studio following the departure of several key members of the company that have been there for years.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 7, 2020

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
That sucks but I dont know anyone who really plays any of FFGs rpgs at the moment

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

Spirit Island
Forbidden Island
Gloomhaven
Pandemic Legacy
Arkham Horror LCG
LotR LCG
Aeon's End

Horrified is surprisingly solid for a mass market twist on the Pandemic formula if you're looking for something on approximately the same complexity level as base Pandemic.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

That sucks but I dont know anyone who really plays any of FFGs rpgs at the moment

Yeah, with the 40k license lost and SW spinning down, it wasn't a shock to see that. While I haven't been an FFG fan in quite some time, I cut my teeth there when I was getting into boardgames as a hobby and also dug their RPGs and LCGs. I realize this isn't a postmortem as they'll likely make Twilight Imperium 12 at some point in my lifetime, but it's a bit sad to see them wither.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

golden bubble posted:

So we've had +money tokens (coins), +action tokens (villagers), and now we'll get +card tokens (horses).

Kind of hilarious that it went coin tokens, then cards to put coin tokens on to separate coins and villagers, and now a new token - will it be new card spaces or a horse-shaped meeple? Maybe I'll just loot Farmers of the Moors.

We did a 9-played dominion tournament with all the expansions over xmas and it's a real poo poo remembering which boxes are supposed to have which tokens in them now. Game is still great though.