Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Songbearer posted:

Does anyone have any videogame songs that they find themselves humming or dum-de-dumming in real life when they're like, cleaning the house or baking cookies or something? The ones that are perpetually cropping up for me are:

Battlefield 1942 theme
Unreal theme
Little Big Adventure theme
One Must Fall 2097 theme
Deus Ex theme
Heavy Metal FAKK2 menu music
Setting Sail / Coming Home from Bastion

I can't remember where my glasses or keys are 9/10 of the time but I'm convinced these songs are gonna follow me to the grave

Most of these songs are from games I spent most of my childhood playing so I guess it's no big surprise

not so much music tracks (and i definitely don't hum along) but once in a while a sound effect from some game i played 20 years ago will pop up in my brain unbidden and remind me that my mind is forever damaged and rotted from the moldy trash it contains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Does anyone have any videogame songs that they find themselves humming or dum-de-dumming in real life when they're like, cleaning the house or baking cookies or something? The ones that are perpetually cropping up for me are:

Battlefield 1942 theme
Unreal theme
Little Big Adventure theme
One Must Fall 2097 theme
Deus Ex theme
Heavy Metal FAKK2 menu music
Setting Sail / Coming Home from Bastion

I can't remember where my glasses or keys are 9/10 of the time but I'm convinced these songs are gonna follow me to the grave

Most of these songs are from games I spent most of my childhood playing so I guess it's no big surprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca4sCfaNAvI

Sometimes I would lose on purpose just to hear this again and whistle along

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N4z7xiXIeM

"language / use of drugs" best ESRB warning

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
During the Mummy Demastered run at ADGQ a Wayforward dev just casually mentioned they're working on a Bloodstained randomizer :woop:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all the chulip songs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Listening to video game music outside of video games is like listening to a movie’s original soundtrack outside of the movie, which is to say, insane in the membrane

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

So is KRZ gonna be finished? Is that what the TV edition is?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wuggles posted:

yes, also releasing on consoles including switch: https://kotaku.com/kentucky-route-zero-will-finally-end-and-come-to-switc-1840853543

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Is most of that in the post-game? Or is it just quality of life stuff generally?

Wildlands got a ton of bug / glitch fixes, and balance changes. Breakpoint though is getting a complete overhaul with quality of life changes, balance changes, bug/glitch fixes, new weapons, and other content. Breakpoint launched completely broken and the game is probably UBISofts most poorly sold game this gen? It flopped hard.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

oddium posted:

all the chulip songs

i love how every song in that game is the same melody, and every time it slaps

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

wuggles posted:

The full game on PC is going to be Kentucky Route Zero: PC Edition and the console releases are going to be Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition.

Same content just different platforms. Both will include all 5 acts and the interludes.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Mm I’m not supposed to be buying video games this year...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

wuggles posted:

Mm I’m not supposed to be buying video games this year...

:same:

Thankfully I already bought it 6 years ago :v:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

PantsBandit posted:

Recently it's been the Outer Wilds theme.

Thanks, I had just erased this from my memory and now the curse is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RJtvhippL0

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

of course now for no reason whatsoever this suddenly showed up in my thoughts because i saw the words "nu-metal"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFS7Fw9RDJ0

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Another fun indie announcement, Corner Wolves is going to have a thriller podcast with audio from Just Blaze, which somehow relates the the game.

https://twitter.com/brasslionent/status/1214597528915763202

More info on Corner Wolves, broadly: https://www.gameinformer.com/feature/2019/11/15/standing-up

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

kentucky route zero is 50% off on gog if anyone wants to wait on it, now that it's confirmed... https://www.gog.com/game/kentucky_route_zero_season_pass

extremely recommended if you care about storytelling and atmosphere in games

Flac fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 7, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh yeah the outer wilds theme and also the one that plays every time the sun's about to explode

also the ftl theme and Last Stand

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm honestly not sure if I ever bought the KRZ season pass but I know I've played acts 1-3 and possibly even at least some of 4. May as well just start over on console at this point.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i got episodes 1 and 2 (maybe 3?) from the website directly from what i remember, played about 5-10 minutes of the first episode, went "oh poo poo, this is gonna rock, better table it until the game's done", and never touched it again

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is it just me that doesn't know what Kentucky Route 0 is

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

does it holdup against old kentucky shark?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

It's a game about a deliveryman crossing a strange, distorted version of America and making human connections along the way

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

It occupies the corner of my brain where stuff I know exists but might as well not until it's on something other than Steam early access.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my friend is excited about the monster hunter world expansion coming out and so i looked it up and lol it's the same price as the base game ($40 if you don't buy the add-on sticker pack), capcom must be raking in money hand over fist

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

they've done some insanely cool poo poo for the side games too. like an automated phone system at 270-301-5797 voiced by bonnie prince billy and a fake public access station broadcast.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

my friend is excited about the monster hunter world expansion coming out and so i looked it up and lol it's the same price as the base game ($40 if you don't buy the add-on sticker pack), capcom must be raking in money hand over fist

In the past Capcom has released this type of MH content as a whole other full price game but I guess they didn't think that would fly these days

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

In the past Capcom has released this type of MH content as a whole other full price game but I guess they didn't think that would fly these days

MHW was literally their best selling game in the entire history of the company, right? i wonder just how deep in the black iceborne will put them

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm sad, but it will be worth it if they announce Pokken 2 and just make it the Tekken part.

Also customization, it's 2020 and I still can't put a hat on my friend. It's hosed up.

New Pokemon Snap When

What new pokemon would you want in a Pokken sequel? Not just from the Galar region but across the series in general. Separate wishlists for legendaries and non-legendaries.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowcaster posted:

It sucks it took like 6 months to come out on PC vs PS4 but still costs $40 on PC now while you can get it on PS4 on sale.

But then again that's typical for game industry. Rockstar expecting me to pay $60 for RDR2 on PC is bullshit. Give me some kinda upgrade code where I can spend $20 to move my PS4 to PC and I'd do it. But gently caress paying full price when I already own it.

Yeah, some people on PC don't have it already. But they know tons of people do and that's half the point.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

MHW was literally their best selling game in the entire history of the company, right? i wonder just how deep in the black iceborne will put them

Yeah I think they are up to like 8 million copies sold now. They almost certainly delayed the PC release to get people to double dip too, rather than any kind of technical reasons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowcaster posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/monster-hunter-world-becomes-capcoms-all-time-best-seller-14m-units-sold-1245966

quote:

Capcom on Monday revealed that the action-adventure title, first released in January 2018, has sold over 14 million copies worldwide, the first game published or developed by the company to reach that milestone. Meanwhile, the game's recently launched expansion, Iceborne, released in September, has sold more than 2.5 million copies globally.

Seems like not nearly everybody bought the DLC, which makes sense as its a big deep RPG and I bet the vast majority of gamers never beat it. (but instead got their fill fighting through low rank) and thus wouldn't feel a huge push to buy Iceborne.

Still, 2.5 million x $40 = $Texas

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jesus, according to wikipedia it's not even loving close:

edit: kind of surprised to see not even a single other street fighter game besides 2 even made the chart. and no megaman games at all

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 7, 2020

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It was weird hearing even a couple people at my work talk about monhun when all they usually play is destiny

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR_wIb_n4ZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nqWNZl3Ou4

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

jesus, according to wikipedia it's not even loving close:

edit: kind of surprised to see not even a single other street fighter game besides 2 even made the chart

Lol RE5. I mean I get it coming off of RE4 but still... drat...

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I got the Iceborne steelbook for Christmas and then went to Best Buy and spent $15 on the base game :unsmith:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

But then again that's typical for game industry. Rockstar expecting me to pay $60 for RDR2 on PC is bullshit. Give me some kinda upgrade code where I can spend $20 to move my PS4 to PC and I'd do it. But gently caress paying full price when I already own it.

didn't RDR2 like not work perfectly on the PC when they released it as well lol

seem to remember some weird bug if you had a CPU with a high enough clock but under 8 cores or something where it would chug for no reason

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

Songbearer posted:

One Must Fall 2097 theme

yes

speaking of, wasn't there some one must fall 3d fighting game or am i hallucinating

also, omf 2097 ruled and they should make a new one or find some way for me to play it on ps4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

didn't RDR2 like not work perfectly on the PC when they released it as well lol

seem to remember some weird bug if you had a CPU with a high enough clock but under 8 cores or something where it would chug for no reason

i think it had a disastrous launch when it first popped up on the epic games store but since i haven't heard anything about it since i assume it was resolved in a more timely manner than some of the more disastrous pc port launches (see: arkham knight)