Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
I hate to be a wet blanket but holy poo poo they’re just hot dogs. Portillos versus Superdawg versus Gene and Judes Jesus Christ. Just pick one and eat it. Your trip will be no better or worse depending on which one you choose. That being said, the lovely hot dog stand in MY neighborhood is simply the best :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Devil Dawgs is so loving expensive for a hot dog. It's like $8 to get a hot dog with sriracha and bacon on it.

buddy,

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Doobie needed to use more WordArt.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

This was the best kickstarter I was ever apart of.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

fyallm posted:

This was the best kickstarter I was ever apart of.

Still waitin' on my frog dog...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I was spending too much on energy drinks and someone gave me a keurig kcup machine, so I got the reusable filters and coffee.

Also got both south park games. Easily the funniest games ever made. You could just watch the cut scenes and its as good as a regular south park episodes.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ChocNitty posted:

Also got both south park games. Easily the funniest games ever made. You could just watch the cut scenes and its as good as a regular south park episodes.

The amount of effort and time the creators of south park put into those games was amazing. They had their actual animation team make all the cutscenes I believe

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Magnetic knife block to tidy up the prep area

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah yeah cool and all but gimme those tiles :swoon:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah yeah cool and all but gimme those tiles :swoon:

Seriously...link me to those bad boys, but then also don't link them to me because I don't want to discover they cost like $30/sq ft.

Bought some rando things:

To make better popcorn...I like the speed and cleanliness of the microwave (vs slower and messier stove top,) but pre-made microwave popcorn is pricier, and full of all sorts of poo poo...I mean, there's LITERALLY a disease named after it.

Apple REALLY messed up with the freakin Apple TV remote...waaaay to small and slippery to actually hold and use comfortably. Got to get myself a condom for it.

Butter dish...didn't intend for it to match the Apple TV remote condom, but there you go.
And more items to continue my kitchen's slow transformation into a commercial restaurant:

V V V Yo, just a heads up, but unless your car's headlights were originally designed to be used with LED bulbs, then you really shouldn't use LED bulbs. The reflector housing for bulbs is entirely different for a halogen or Xenon or LED bulb. The proper way to switch is to get a new housing so that it aims them in the right direcction, doesn't blind oncoming traffic, and illuminates properly to the sides as well. V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Jan 7, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

So for the last week I have been running without headlights- I ordered LEDs off of Amazon and they didn't work because I needed a special canbus for my car- panicked when I saw Trueland's support was in Shenzhen but their customer service was actually really great and sent me the part for free from Amazon in about 3 days.

I don't really care about how the headlights make my car look, I just found it refreshing to deal with an attentive and pleasant customer service dept for once.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Seriously...link me to those bad boys, but then also don't link them to me because I don't want to discover they cost like $30/sq ft.

Bought some rando things:

To make better popcorn...I like the speed and cleanliness of the microwave (vs slower and messier stove top,) but pre-made microwave popcorn is pricier, and full of all sorts of poo poo...I mean, there's LITERALLY a disease named after it.

Apple REALLY messed up with the freakin Apple TV remote...waaaay to small and slippery to actually hold and use comfortably. Got to get myself a condom for it.

Butter dish...didn't intend for it to match the Apple TV remote condom, but there you go.
And more items to continue my kitchen's slow transformation into a commercial restaurant:

V V V Yo, just a heads up, but unless your car's headlights were originally designed to be used with LED bulbs, then you really shouldn't use LED bulbs. The reflector housing for bulbs is entirely different for a halogen or Xenon or LED bulb. The proper way to switch is to get a new housing so that it aims them in the right direcction, doesn't blind oncoming traffic, and illuminates properly to the sides as well. V V V

I have small hands so the Apple remote isn't too small for me, and I haven't noticed it being too slippery however there are plenty of other flaws. The touchpad sucks compared to just buttons. You can't tell if your holding it right by feel, and barely by look. You can't wake it up using the touchpad causing a button press when you press the button to wake it up. Oh but look how thin is! Amazing!

I bought some shoelaces.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Jan 7, 2020

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Megabound posted:

Magnetic knife block to tidy up the prep area

Please tell me you throw your knives onto it like in Kill Bill

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you're all into tiles we also just finished our bathroom:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Forest Gloss but not the crystaline version, but that's all I can find at the moment, also in Australia. https://www.tilemob.com.au/shop/detail.php?id=NC228370&tile=forest-gloss-crystalline

Before:

After:

Next big home related purchase is going to be flooring.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Please tell me you throw your knives onto it like in Kill Bill

I really don't feel like chipping my knives or my tiles but I wish I could.

Megabound has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Jan 7, 2020

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Doobie has pissed me off forever, not because I didn't get my frog dog, but why the gently caress is the bbq dog "Memphis?" Sweet baby ray's sauce is not from Memphis and has nothing to do with Memphis. Just call it a fuckin bbq hotdog.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A regular Switch to replace my Switch Lite :shepspends:

Breath of the Wild has me loving hooked, man, and I wanted to be able to play it on my TV. Already traded in my Lite to Amazon so I recouped some of the cost at least.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got a 45-105 set of strings for my bass.

The strings it came with seem ok enough, but since I’ve never played bass I wouldn’t necessarily know if they’ve gone off. I’m getting NYXLs since they last even longer and the bass isn’t my main instrument

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bought my TV this last weekend. Went in hellbent on getting the 65" C9, but saw that Microcenter had the 65" B9 on sale for like $500 off so it was $700 cheaper than the C's I was finding. I just couldn't justify dropping the extra cash since I was having a hard time finding any differences at all in the picture quality between the two when I was first researching them.

Looks loving amazing. Been messing around with the picture settings since Saturday and I think I finally have all my inputs situated.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic posted:

A regular Switch to replace my Switch Lite :shepspends:

Breath of the Wild has me loving hooked, man, and I wanted to be able to play it on my TV. Already traded in my Lite to Amazon so I recouped some of the cost at least.
Congrats on buying gods perfect console

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bought my TV this last weekend. Went in hellbent on getting the 65" C9, but saw that Microcenter had the 65" B9 on sale for like $500 off so it was $700 cheaper than the C's I was finding. I just couldn't justify dropping the extra cash since I was having a hard time finding any differences at all in the picture quality between the two when I was first researching them.

I’m seriously considering getting the 2020 48” CX to use as a monitor in my home office. They make really really nice displays, and for 4K120 HDR it’ll be like a third of a nearly-equivalent computer monitor.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Subjunctive posted:

I’m seriously considering getting the 2020 48” CX to use as a monitor in my home office. They make really really nice displays, and for 4K120 HDR it’ll be like a third of a nearly-equivalent computer monitor.

I'll upgrade when they come out with a 420hz refresh 420k tru-vision ultra VR setup, beyond that I'm sticking with this old black and white I got.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Inzombiac posted:

I bought a wet/sharpening stone because all of my kitchen knives were getting dangerously dull.

I had a stone before and, after watching a video on the subject, realized I was doing it wrong.

You supposed to submerge the stone for about 10 minutes first, not just sprinkle some water on top.

Now everything is razor sharp and ready to gently caress up some flank steak.

That depends on the type of stone. Some are not supposed to use water at all but oil instead, some are only supposed to have some water on top. Diamond hones can use whatever, even dry.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

So for the last week I have been running without headlights- I ordered LEDs off of Amazon and they didn't work because I needed a special canbus for my car- panicked when I saw Trueland's support was in Shenzhen but their customer service was actually really great and sent me the part for free from Amazon in about 3 days.

I don't really care about how the headlights make my car look, I just found it refreshing to deal with an attentive and pleasant customer service dept for once.

Putting LED’s in a car that wasn’t designed for them is a good way to melt some poo poo. Be careful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

Putting LED’s in a car that wasn’t designed for them is a good way to melt some poo poo. Be careful.

I bought a similar pair of LEDs off banggood for like $7 and so far they haven't burned my car down so I think that's a success.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

Yeah, women's hearts. Goon's gonna get ultra laid!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

OniPanda posted:

I'm gonna need to know a lot more about this when you're done.

:stonklol:

It’s bad... the CAN bus is basically an open network for vehicle communications and it’s extremely easy to hop on and start reading traffic and injecting your own commands or sensor inputs to various ECUs because there’s no encryption or authentication, only manufacturer obfuscation. With a teensy arduino, breadboard, and CAN interface you can easily DDoS a moving vehicle or control various things with a little research into what inputs to write. The thing with the jeep being hacked a few years ago was a bit different, that was basically remotely enabling maintenance mode through the poorly secured network, this one requires physical access to the vehicle to install the hardware and is basically shouting louder and prioritizing your own input over the factory sensor. If you’re interested in giving it a go, I’ll link the slides and github once they’re uploaded

Also learned that there’s an OBDII field for tracking miles driven since check engine light came on lol.

For content, I was pissed using the community soldering iron so I just went ahead and bought a TS-100 and some soldering peripherals like helping hands and solder braid/ flush cutters so I can have a small travel kit to take on the road.

Also bought exploding kittens board game and Funemployed, which is like cards against humanity interview improv edition:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Big miss on having it be "f"unemployed. If they couldn't take the time or care to make the pun work then they don't deserve my patronage.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

What is this? A centerDoc Oc costume for ants?

mystes
May 31, 2006

couldcareless posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helping_hand_(tool)

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

OSU_Matthew posted:

:stonklol:

It’s bad... the CAN bus is basically an open network for vehicle communications and it’s extremely easy to hop on and start reading traffic and injecting your own commands or sensor inputs to various ECUs because there’s no encryption or authentication, only manufacturer obfuscation. With a teensy arduino, breadboard, and CAN interface you can easily DDoS a moving vehicle or control various things with a little research into what inputs to write. The thing with the jeep being hacked a few years ago was a bit different, that was basically remotely enabling maintenance mode through the poorly secured network, this one requires physical access to the vehicle to install the hardware and is basically shouting louder and prioritizing your own input over the factory sensor. If you’re interested in giving it a go, I’ll link the slides and github once they’re uploaded

Also learned that there’s an OBDII field for tracking miles driven since check engine light came on lol.

I do embedded systems, so I'm well acquainted with the CAN bus :wink:

More wanting to know your methods and code

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

couldcareless posted:

It needs to be at least three times bigger than this!

this

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Looks loving amazing. Been messing around with the picture settings since Saturday and I think I finally have all my inputs situated.

Congrats on joining the OLED master race, do yourself a favor and buy planet earth 2 on UHD if nothing else. Coco and Life of Pi are also visually stunning.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I watched Our Planet in UHD and it was basically like seeing HD for the first time again.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Got this patch. Gonna put it over the logo of the company that wouldn't hire me on full time from internship.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Are OLED TVs good for gaming? My 5-ish year old Visio is getting some weird issues...parts of the screen are brighter than others, and some games have a weird, almost shutter or flicker effect.

I also wouldn't mind upgrading to something a bit bigger so I don't have to lean forward so much to game...I mean, I could just ear my glasses, but what am I, some sort of dork?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Are OLED TVs good for gaming? My 5-ish year old Visio is getting some weird issues...parts of the screen are brighter than others, and some games have a weird, almost shutter or flicker effect.

I also wouldn't mind upgrading to something a bit bigger so I don't have to lean forward so much to game...I mean, I could just ear my glasses, but what am I, some sort of dork?

Yeah they are great for gaming, everything looks absolutely incredible, especially 4k HDR games.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

A lot of them come with motion smoothing and upscaling stuff turned on by default which makes movement look really weird and flowy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Turn off all the bullshit out of the box. Red Dead Redemption 2 looks like a totally different game on it.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Got this patch. Gonna put it over the logo of the company that wouldn't hire me on full time from internship.

I like this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Having just finished Red Dwarf XI & XII (which I also bought). I had to get me one of these: