Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I could never find an overhang or otherwise dry spot when I wanted to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Climb, climb, climb, leap. Find climbing gear if you need, and create updrafts via fire or powers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

Is everyone else just making straight lines through the map climbing over literally anything in their way or what?

Look buddy, I'm not playing Climb Over Everything: The Game to not climb over everything.

There are some pretty expansive cliffs in some areas, too. I remember basically crossing entire map zones early on just trying to get around a cliff during a rainstorm.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

nrook posted:

You probably already know this and will roll your eyes at me for saying it, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Remember you can build a fire in the shade and rest until the rain stops. This isn't always possible but it usually is.

Yeah...it's an even split between not having a good spot/suddenly remembering I'm out of flint, and just getting turned off that I would have to do that. It's just one of the failed mechanics in the game for me, like it's just a constant string of it telling me "Look at all the cool stuff you can do and all the places you can go! JUST KIDDING, NOT RIGHT NOW!!"

Straight White Shark posted:

Look buddy, I'm not playing Climb Over Everything: The Game to not climb over everything.
:hmmyes:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah also if the cliff is short (like, three link heights? increasing based on your stamina) you can climb it even in rain. By repeating the pattern of climbing for half a second then leaping, you will slowly gain height.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Amppelix posted:

I can count the amount of times I was directly impeded from climbing something by rain on one hand. Is everyone else just making straight lines through the map climbing over literally anything in their way or what?

Sir Edmond Hilary right here

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Chronojam posted:

Climb, climb, climb, leap.

Seriously. Once you have a decent amount of stamina rain is only a mild annoyance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also once you have revalue game (the autocorrect version of Revalis Gale), it’s not a problem really

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at not being able to start a fire in BotW because you're out of flint

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Lol at not being able to start a fire in BotW because you're out of flint

FIRE ARROWS ARE A PRECIOUS RESOURCE TO HOARD OKAY :arghfist:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Always have a fire sword

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I should push myself to go pick up the gale power, though. The main issue both times I've played is that I do the Elephant dungeon but then mostly just feel like running around unlocking the map and clearing whatever shrines I see around. By the time I finally feel like pushing through any more of the dungeons I've just kinda had enough. Maybe the third time's the charm.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Whenever I play I always head to Medoh as my first beast, just to get Gale. It makes exploring so much easier.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I got miphas grace first on my first playthrough, to trivialize combat inadvertently

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Whenever I play I always head to Medoh as my first beast, just to get Gale. It makes exploring so much easier.

:same:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I feel like the game nudges you toward the Zora dungeon more than the others, it definitely felt like the default first option my first time around. This time I didn't even have any particular plans other than cranking through towers and shrines, and I still hit a point where I just kept running into Zoras yammering at me for help so that's what I did.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, most people I know did the Zora dungeon first including myself, the game basically points you there when it lets you get off the plateau.

Later play throughs though? I’m getting that Revalis Gale right away

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm gonna add it to my to-do list next. I think I still like the instaheal as my first power though, not to mention that dungeon's quick and easy to knock out (even if the path they push you on to get their is annoyingly long).

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The real best way to start the game is to ignore Kakariko and Hateno, explore the bottom of the map instead and eventually try to approach the desert from the east at night, walk straight into the Vah Naboris Happy Fun Time Lightning Murder Zone like half a dozen times trying to reach the nearest tower, and end up stranded on a rock mesa come morning with no heat protection and a Molduga looming below you, all without coming across any signs of civilization there except for that one Gerudo passed out over a shrine entrance.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the reason most people do the Zora area first is because Hateno and Kakariko are right there. I remember I decided to explore north from Kakariko, glided over a few gorges because there wasn't an obvious way to the tower I was trying to get to (Akkala), and then oh well huh hi Prince Sidon.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Nintendo correctly realized that Sidon meant instant GOTY, so just make sure he shows up early for reviewers.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I got the Master Cycle Zero yesterday :toot:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Hygiene posted:

I feel like the game nudges you toward the Zora dungeon more than the others, it definitely felt like the default first option my first time around. This time I didn't even have any particular plans other than cranking through towers and shrines, and I still hit a point where I just kept running into Zoras yammering at me for help so that's what I did.

Yeah, Rhoam steers you to Kakariko, and if you look around even a bit you find that overlook and see two shrines in the swamp as well as the tower, and it's just crawling with Zoras if you get curious and hop down there to nose around. And there's no climate problems like the Rito cold and the desert heat/cold and the Death Mountain ON FIRE!, even if there are a ton of assholes with electric arrows.

Cattail Prophet posted:

The real best way to start the game is to ignore Kakariko and Hateno, explore the bottom of the map instead and eventually try to approach the desert from the east at night, walk straight into the Vah Naboris Happy Fun Time Lightning Murder Zone like half a dozen times trying to reach the nearest tower, and end up stranded on a rock mesa come morning with no heat protection and a Molduga looming below you, all without coming across any signs of civilization there except for that one Gerudo passed out over a shrine entrance.

Pro. I just wandered around the mountains both sides of Duelling Peaks, saw Farosh's arse end disappearing with no idea what it was and eventually got chased into Kakariko by a Guardian.

It was a loooong time before I ran into Hestu...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There's literally zoras posted all over Lanayru to point you towards the domain, and people are here wondering if maybe it was the first intended area to go to?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
We just don't know :shrug:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Amppelix posted:

There's literally zoras posted all over Lanayru to point you towards the domain, and people are here wondering if maybe it was the first intended area to go to?

Also, you know... the Lynel you meet at the East Gate which, for me at least, was a massive "Turn back now" sign when I was ~10 hours into my first playthrough. I went towards Mount Lanayru first after Kakariko because it seemed like a somewhat obvious choice, but it was ultimately that Lynel which got me going in the right direction.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ice Fist posted:

Also, you know... the Lynel you meet at the East Gate which, for me at least, was a massive "Turn back now" sign when I was ~10 hours into my first playthrough. I went towards Mount Lanayru first after Kakariko because it seemed like a somewhat obvious choice, but it was ultimately that Lynel which got me going in the right direction.

And if you wander left instead of right when you pass the Great Fairy the guy sitting by the very noticeable campfire will tell you how he wants to get to THAT TOWER RIGHT THERE OVER THE RIVER HE CAN'T CROSS HINT HINT.

I still took ages to get going on that questline though so there Nintendo you can't tell me what to do.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I honestly kinda figured there might be equally insistent Gerudo/Gorons/Rito wanting to handhold you along if you ran off some other direction first.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The first time i played the game I would spot things on the horizon and just beeline straight to them, climbing and gliding over literally everything to get there

The second play through I stuck to the roads more and used horses and the map and what not and there is a lot to discover that way as well.

What I’m saying is just play the game how you want, I had a blast both times

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Amppelix posted:

Yeah also if the cliff is short (like, three link heights? increasing based on your stamina) you can climb it even in rain. By repeating the pattern of climbing for half a second then leaping, you will slowly gain height.

It's 4 up then leap, you get the equivalent of 3 climbing animations total. I do it a lot unless it's a bigass cliff then I either wait the rain out or just leave to find other poo poo.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Captain Hygiene posted:

(even if the path they push you on to get their is annoyingly long).

I felt like a badass on my most recent playthrough creating an updraft with a bunch of hot peppers and flying in through the back via a nearby tower

I don’t know if there’s a game quite like this, one that always feels like you’re breaking it over your knee, but in fact every action was meticulously planned for.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It feels cool to tediously go there the back way (from Akala) up the waterfall and glide down into the king’s chamber.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

mastajake posted:

It feels cool to tediously go there the back way (from Akala) up the waterfall and glide down into the king’s chamber.

Yeah

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ROFL Octopus posted:

I felt like a badass on my most recent playthrough creating an updraft with a bunch of hot peppers

ya spicy food will do that to you

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Mipha's Grace also smooths out the edges of the game's balance and gives the player a lot more freedom to try dumb ideas that might kill them

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The game respawning you usually around one minute before you died already gives you freedom to try dumb things without fear of death, I thought.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's pretty minimal penalization as far as deaths go, but I still infinitely prefer to just have a ghost swing by and instantly resurrect me than deal with reloading (especially back in Wii U days).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's pretty minimal penalization as far as deaths go, but I still infinitely prefer to just have a ghost swing by and instantly resurrect me than deal with reloading (especially back in Wii U days).

Fairies do the same, though, even though you do have to keep an eye on your supply. Revali is definitely my first QoL upgrade.

Well, that and teleport medallion/teleport saddle.

Urbosa would be #2 if her questline didn't curse me with eternal random ninjas.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Fairies do the same, though, even though you do have to keep an eye on your supply.

That's true, and this is somehow the first playthrough that I've really noticed them and carried some around. For some reason I had it in my head before that they were nerfed somehow into being a less viable death save, that makes Mipha's Grace a lot less of a necessity to get early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Getting home-run'd by moblins with 3 or 4 hearts over and over again in early game almost turned me off the game entirely