Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its also worth noting China and India recognize the issue, China with 47 nuclear plants under production and a strong shift into gas, transitioning to renewable. India as well has shown an interest in expanding their nuclear fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Its also worth noting China and India recognize the issue, China with 47 nuclear plants under production and a strong shift into gas, transitioning to renewable. India as well has shown an interest in expanding their nuclear fleet.

I'm glad to see you now agree that using a lot of natural gas is a responsible way to manage climate change. I'm also glad that recognizing and showing interest in an issue are the same as doing something. I guess everything is ok now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I'm glad to see you now agree that using a lot of natural gas is a responsible way to manage climate change. I'm also glad that recognizing and showing interest in an issue are the same as doing something. I guess everything is ok now.

No, its not. China also recognizes Natural Gas is a problem, and is only temporary till they shift onto other sources like nuclear and renewable.

Whereas you and Tab are proposing it as a final solution. Big difference.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

No, its not. China also recognizes Natural Gas is a problem, and is only temporary till they shift onto other sources like nuclear and renewable.

Whereas you and Tab are proposing it as a final solution. Big difference.

I'm not proposing anything. I'm acknowledging reality and the likely path of future events.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm not proposing anything. I'm acknowledging reality and the likely path of future events.

Bullshit, because you said this:

I'm glad to see you now agree that using a lot of natural gas is a responsible way to manage climate change.

Get the gently caress out of here with this, between this and your handwave "China and India are the problem, and we can't do anything about them so its moot", youre just another AGW denialist.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 31, 2019

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

None of this matters because of China and India anyway.

Greta Thunberg posted:

In Sweden, when we demand politicians to do something, they say, 'It doesn't matter what we do — because just look at the U.S.'

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
There's always a bigger fish.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Bullshit, because you said this:

Get the gently caress out of here with this, between this and your handwave "China and India are the problem, and we can't do anything about them so its moot", your just another AGW denialist.

I know goons are largely mentally ill dim-to-midwits screaming into the electronic void as part of their self medication, but I do expect a higher degree of argumentation and reading comprehension than this. I'll try to make it simpler for you, although I don't know that I can make it simple enough.

1. You said (so, so many times) that natural gas is not a response to climate change.

2. I said, not directly related to your usual party line, that none of this matters because of India and China.

3. You used China's "strong switch to gas" as an argument that China is doing something effective about climate change.

4. I pointed out that this was a hilarious argument coming from you.

5. You didn't get the joke.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The US, that has reduced its emissions more than any of the Europeans? Was this Swedish politician speaking on the day Greta was born or something?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The US, that has reduced its emissions more than any of the Europeans? Was this Swedish politician speaking on the day Greta was born or something?

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Half of Europe has had lower emissions than us, and made more progress on lowering it than we have.

I know goons are largely mentally ill dim-to-midwits screaming into the electronic void as part of their self medication, but I do expect a higher degree of argumentation and reading comprehension than this. I'll try to make it simpler for you, although I don't know that I can make it simple enough.

1. You said (so, so many times) that natural gas is not a response to climate change.

2. I said, not directly related to your usual party line, that none of this matters because of India and China.

3. You used China's "strong switch to gas" as an argument that China is doing something effective about climate change.

4. I pointed out that this was a hilarious argument coming from you.

5. You didn't get the joke.

1. Its not.
2. Yes, and you are wrong.
3. China is using gas to switch to Nuclear and Renewables, its not a solution to Climate Change, and you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that its a temporary solution at that to help solve their smog issues until their 47 nuclear plants come online.
4. And your still an AGW Denier
5. You are bad at jokes, and you need to stop pretending you give a poo poo about Climate Change.

NRC gave TVA the go ahead to 'consider' a Small Modular Reactor at Clinch River. By no means does this mean they will do it.

https://www.power-eng.com/2019/12/31/nrc-says-tva-can-consider-smr-nuclear-energy-site-at-clinch-river

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 31, 2019

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ah yes, the US...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Nationalization of the oil and gas industry in the US means purchasing it at taxpayer expense at current market value. It doesn’t take wealth away from shareholders.

You wan expropriation, which isn’t possible without getting rid of a constitutional amendment.

Okay - then get the constitutional amendment. The investors, shareholders, executive of O&G as far as I am concerned are essentially genocidal maniacs who literally reversed-mortgaged future generations so they live with wealth. They don't deserve any of it.

gently caress them.

Edit - There are a few others replies but I really wanted to respond to this before the discussion moves on. I will reply to others tomorrow.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Goddamn it I'm on vacation and I usually only reply this thread when I'm bored at work, but out of nowhere like 60 shitposts flood in except for a couple of sane voices

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

Goddamn it I'm on vacation and I usually only reply this thread when I'm bored at work, but out of nowhere like 60 shitposts flood in except for a couple of sane voices

I'm seriously interested on your take on what went wrong with the Ohio fracking site.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tab8715 posted:

Okay - then get the constitutional amendment. The investors, shareholders, executive of O&G as far as I am concerned are essentially genocidal maniacs who literally reversed-mortgaged future generations so they live with wealth. They don't deserve any of it.

gently caress them.

Edit - There are a few others replies but I really wanted to respond to this before the discussion moves on. I will reply to others tomorrow.

This. Or ban fossil fuel use for power generation first, buy their suddenly worthless companies for like a dollar and close them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

People who distrust your whitewashed view of Natural Gas and the Petroleum Industry are not shitposts.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

It goes somewhat like this.

quote:

Natural gas is a fossil fuel, though the global warming emissions from its combustion are much lower than those from coal or oil.

Natural gas emits 50 to 60 percent less carbon dioxide (CO2) when combusted in a new, efficient natural gas power plant compared with emissions from a typical new coal plant . Considering only tailpipe emissions, natural gas also emits 15 to 20 percent less heat-trapping gases than gasoline when burned in today’s typical vehicle.

Emissions from smokestacks and tailpipes, however, do not tell the full story.

The drilling and extraction of natural gas from wells and its transportation in pipelines results in the leakage of methane, primary component of natural gas that is 34 times stronger than CO2 at trapping heat over a 100-year period and 86 times stronger over 20 years. Preliminary studies and field measurements show that these so-called “fugitive” methane emissions range from 1 to 9 percent of total life cycle emissions .

Whether natural gas has lower life cycle greenhouse gas emissions than coal and oil depends on the assumed leakage rate, the global warming potential of methane over different time frames, the energy conversion efficiency, and other factors. One recent study found that methane losses must be kept below 3.2 percent for natural gas power plants to have lower life cycle emissions than new coal plants over short time frames of 20 years or fewer. And if burning natural gas in vehicles is to deliver even marginal benefits, methane losses must be kept below 1 percent and 1.6 percent compared with diesel fuel and gasoline, respectively. Technologies are available to reduce much of the leaking methane, but deploying such technology would require new policies and investments.

Which means that, at the end of the day, gas is not the way forward. If your goal is to actually do something about climate change. If we had this conversation say, 35 years ago, the answer could have been different (due to gas giving us the potential to transition better, simply by adding time to the ticker). Now, it can't.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dante80 posted:

Now, it can't.

Why not?

We either...

1. Shrink or Pause the economy to lower emissions. Which society is unwilling to do.
2. Burn more coal instead!

Which option do you want?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

3. China is using gas to switch to Nuclear and Renewables, its not a solution to Climate Change, and you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that its a temporary solution at that to help solve their smog issues until their 47 nuclear plants come online.

This is literally exactly what we are promoting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

This is literally exactly what we are promoting.

It would be a temporary solution for us too if we had any plans to actually transition off of it. Plans in the US to replace coal with natural gas are untenable because they're advertised as and are intended to be The Solution To Climate Change, which is bullshit

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

It would be a temporary solution for us too if we had any plans to actually transition off of it. Plans in the US to replace coal with natural gas are untenable because they're advertised as and are intended to be The Solution To Climate Change, which is bullshit

So what do you propose as an alternative?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tab8715 posted:

Massive public investment in nuke + renewables, anything short of that is just lipstick on a pig.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

suck my woke dick posted:

Massive public investment in nuke + renewables, anything short of that is just lipstick on a pig.

In future, that may work but right today society demands so much energy that we have to generate power from fossil fuels. And refuses to reduce growth or pause the economy.

Again, what do you propose?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Tab8715 posted:

The post you replied to contains a proposal

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Because we have reached the point right now where two things are happening at the same time.

1. The cost and TRL of renewables is good enough to replace fossil fuels for energy generation, when coupled with a mild expansion of nuclear, hydro, tidal and geothermal for base load purposes.
2. Temporary solutions are simply not enough to alleviate the problem at hand.

This is predominantly a political problem. You need massive investment to phase out fossil fuels anyway...which is the whole point btw. Choosing to back another fossil fuel while knowing the particulars is simply an exercise in futility.

The reason I said that gas was a solution 30+ years ago is because point 1. was untenable and point 2. was relevant.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 2, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Did you even read my post? You seem to be accidentally admitting that all along you were in favor of just using natural gas as the endpoint, rather than as a stopgap. It contradicts your previous post

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

In completely different news, batteries might be getting better soon.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/researchers-crack-cathode-challenge-for-high-capacity-li-s-batteries-536122

quote:

An international team of researchers led by Dr Mahdokht Shaibani at the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Monash University have solved a major constraint holding back the commercial manufacturing of lithium-sulphur batteries.

Lithium-sulphur batteries hold the promise of four times the efficiency of current energy storage based on lithium-ion technology, the researchers said.

Lithium-sulphur battery prototypes built with the researchers' electrodes maintain 99 percent efficiency for over 200 charging cycles.

If commercially viable, the manufacturing process could produce batteries that enable electric vehicles to drive over 1000 kilometres between charges, and keep smartphones running for five continuous days, the researchers said.

Would have to see more charging cycles to be a viable replacement, but its a good step in the right direction.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/1/eaay2757

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

quote:

and keep smartphones running for five continuous days, the researchers said.

My trusty Samsung E1190 is already running more than a week on one charge, tyvm.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

In future, that may work but right today society demands so much energy that we have to generate power from fossil fuels. And refuses to reduce growth or pause the economy.

I linked to an article earlier in the thread, you can search for my posts if you want it, but the cost of installing wind is actually cheaper now than the cost of obtaining fuel for an existing gas turbine. Never mind the cost of building the gas turbine in the first place. This is not a future solution it's the solution right now.

(Yes I know renewables have an intermittency problem, hopefully that can be mitigated with smarter grids and expanded nuclear capacity – preferably the bare minimum to meet our needs while getting most of our energy from renewables)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Family Values posted:

I linked to an article earlier in the thread, you can search for my posts if you want it, but the cost of installing wind is actually cheaper now than the cost of obtaining fuel for an existing gas turbine. Never mind the cost of building the gas turbine in the first place. This is not a future solution it's the solution right now.

(Yes I know renewables have an intermittency problem, hopefully that can be mitigated with smarter grids and expanded nuclear capacity – preferably the bare minimum to meet our needs while getting most of our energy from renewables)

If you know they have an intermittency problem, then you know that you can't just substitute a wind turbine for a gas turbine on a per-power basis, and that therefore saying "It's cheaper to install a wind turbine than obtain fuel for a gas turbine" is a meaningless factoid.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Family Values posted:

Wind power has a NIMBYsm problem. Germany's wind power expansion has come to an almost complete stop and companies have started going out of business. No amount of money can get you a wind turbine build.

I suspect a lot of other countries in Europe are going to start having the same problems soon too. Maybe Japan too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GABA ghoul posted:

Wind power has a NIMBYsm problem. Germany's wind power expansion has come to an almost complete stop and companies have started going out of business. No amount of money can get you a wind turbine build.

I suspect a lot of other countries in Europe are going to start having the same problems soon too. Maybe Japan too.

Except for France and others who invested heavily into nuclear and hydro.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Definitely France. It's a bigger, more centralized country with less installed capacity so it hasn't been too much of a problem yet. But just like Germany, it has that weird political fetishisation of rural life that is at the root of the problem.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/lukeweston/status/1214896766425812992?s=20

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Did you even read my post? You seem to be accidentally admitting that all along you were in favor of just using natural gas as the endpoint, rather than as a stopgap. It contradicts your previous post

In what way are you Interpreting anything that I’ve said as “using natural gas as the endpoint?”.

Because I do not believe that. At all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

In what way are you Interpreting anything that I’ve said as “using natural gas as the endpoint?”.

We can't use it at all. Period. It's actually far better to just stay with what fossil we have and phase them out than build more.

But even then, you've openly stated that you don't believe nuclear as a baseload can work, so what are we supposed to take away from your claims?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

But even then, you've openly stated that you don't believe nuclear as a baseload can work, so what are we supposed to take away from your claims?

I’d take it that we then do whatever is the least bad option until we’ve got a strong enough political movement that puts in politicians whom are willing to fight the fossil fuel industry and purposefully raise my electric bill. I’m entirely comfortable with that but so far not enough people care or care enough to make a difference.

Edit - If someone has any papers or news that China is using Nuclear as a base load I’d really like to see that. That would be a extremely strong argument.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

using Nuclear as a base load

Please enlighten us as to what other role do you think nuclear generation stations provide on a contemporary grid if not base load?

(You should really stop commenting so much on energy or climate policy if you don't even have a cursory understanding of the topic at hand.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Edit - If someone has any papers or news that China is using Nuclear as a base load I’d really like to see that. That would be a extremely strong argument.

If France has already done that (they have, 85% of their generating capacity is Nuclear) why a Chinese source?

Its been done. Its proven. And if you had watched the videos I provided above, its benefiting their emissions immensely.

I think the best part is: You FULLY support Natural Gas (which requires hundreds of drilling/fracking sites to function), but nuclear which needs minimal mining and reprocessing is somehow hard to believe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

The fact that you posted this:

Tab8715 posted:

In response to me saying "if we use natural gas as a stopgap, then we need a plan to quickly transition off of it". That kind of response suggests that you don't already have any alternatives in mind, which would mean just using natural gas forever. That's apparently not what you meant, but it's a straightforward interpretation of what you wrote