Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

I love Mina's expression while watching Deku and Uraraka have their little interaction.

She ships it.

she ships everyone tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Elfgames posted:

she ships everyone tho

Who else has she shipped?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Who else has she shipped?

All Might and Midnight, at minimum.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Does anyone else get the feeling that Horikoshi really enjoys drawing Mina. She always seems more dynamic than other characters in her movements and facial expressions.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling that Horikoshi really enjoys drawing Mina. She always seems more dynamic than other characters in her movements and facial expressions.

She is one of his favorite characters afaik, so yeah

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blockhouse posted:

Honestly I want to like this chapter but every time we check in with the rest of the class there's a part of me that just fixates on how muich Horikoshi cannot handle this series' cast and wondering how long it will be before he separates The Three Characters Who Matter from everyone else again.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the class again in another 6 months.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The problem is that generally- when the main character isn't present for a long time rankings and sales drop. My Villain Academia was kind of a departure from that rule but it's a pretty deep dive on the main villain and one of the most popular ancillary characters, and was full of intense emotional moments/fights.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Honestly I feel like Deku hasn't gotten much focus in a while. After the School Festival we had the High End arc that was all about Endeavor and Hawks, then we had Class A vs B which did have the revelation of his other quirks, but most of that arc was spent on other students and it was still a fairly low stakes arc overall, then we had the Villains Academy arc that was all about Shigaraki and pals, and then this most recent internship arc that ended up mostly being about more Todoroki family drama while Deku and Bakugou hung out in the background.

Hopefully that follow on the past OFA users in the next chapter and we get some Deku focus for a while.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm just glad Deku figured out whip faster than he figured out punching.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think you mean kicking.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Hope we see if Deku figured out the air bullets to his routine like Endeavor told him to.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

GuyUpNorth posted:

Hope we see if Deku figured out the air bullets to his routine like Endeavor told him to.

I wonder if he'll ever lash out with Black Whip, then use Air Bullets to hit them, making them hit faster and harder, or change their direction because...uh...shonen physics

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Grab someone with black whip and then yank them up into a two-footed kick, Spider-Man style.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Horikoshiis obsessed with Spider-Man and Venom, so as soon as black whip showed up, I knew exactly where it was going.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A day later than he usually puts them up but here's the trivia/observations thread for the new chapter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1214591934276104192

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The Deku - Ochako fistbump was very cute.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mirage posted:

Grab someone with black whip and then yank them up into a two-footed kick, Spider-Man style.

They're not dead. Their necks are supposed to bend that way and everyone knows that the spine is meant to be outside the body, right?

...seriously, Marvel's Spider Man for the PS4 did a horrible job at showing Spidey doesn't kill, because some of those finishers would make some Kombat vets envious. especially when you slam people facefirst into concrete

Still fun as hell though, except for Screwball

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hey, at least Spider-Man never ran over anyone at 80 mph with his electrified car.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The weekly MHA translation trivia always is fun to read, but also gives rise to the same question every week: Does the translator do the typesetting themselves? Is it a team who get digital copies of the original in a way that they can just turn off the speech bubbles(and SFX layers layers not embeded in the drawing)? Do they get to change the aspect ratios of the speech bubbles to account for the different space requirements for the text? I love the behind the scenes stuff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mirage posted:

Did you read the chapter?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

M_Gargantua posted:

The weekly MHA translation trivia always is fun to read, but also gives rise to the same question every week: Does the translator do the typesetting themselves? Is it a team who get digital copies of the original in a way that they can just turn off the speech bubbles(and SFX layers layers not embeded in the drawing)? Do they get to change the aspect ratios of the speech bubbles to account for the different space requirements for the text? I love the behind the scenes stuff.
There's usually a typesetter who handles speech bubbles and text separately from the translator.

Text bubbles are typically part of the raw pages, as are most sound effects. Not always however depending on the mangaka's work flow.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Jose posted:

Did you read the chapter?

Yeah, I guess I was confused by the two-page spread. So, uh. Good job, Midoriya. Carry on.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Spider-Man has absolutely killed people, there was even a mini arc once where he went after kingpin with the explicit aim of beating him to death with his bare hands

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

They're not dead. Their necks are supposed to bend that way and everyone knows that the spine is meant to be outside the body, right?

...seriously, Marvel's Spider Man for the PS4 did a horrible job at showing Spidey doesn't kill, because some of those finishers would make some Kombat vets envious. especially when you slam people facefirst into concrete

Still fun as hell though, except for Screwball

I like the stealth kill where you yank someone up into the air and then slam their head into a steel girder.

edit: IIRC a lot of JJ's podcast things in that game were actually pretty reasonable. Like, it's actually pretty messed up that Spider-man is injuring people committing property crimes and stuff.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Spider-Man has absolutely killed people, there was even a mini arc once where he went after kingpin with the explicit aim of beating him to death with his bare hands

Ah yes, that reminds me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, quick theories for the other 5 Quirks:

-One's gonna be defensive
-Some sort of ranged attack
-A utility tool, like some sort of sense-based Quirk
-Something elemental that augments his basic fighting
-And... I'm stumped for the last one.

Honestly, I think Horikoshi only has, like, Nana's Quirk figured out and he's still brainstorming what else Deku's gonna get with his assistants.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All of Deku's quirks will be things that make him more like Spider-Man.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rhonne posted:

All of Deku's quirks will be things that make him more like Spider-Man.

This is my theory. I'm thinking Nana had some kind of sticky hands or something, I could see that evolving into Tomura's disintegration touch over 2 generations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I have to assume that the second, or maybe third, guy was just a basic strengthening quirk that subconsciously laid the seed for what All-Might would become famous for. All-Might could naturally use it because he was just a quirkless swoleman and it came naturally, and Deku instinctively first tapped it because he was imitating his hero.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

I have to assume that the second, or maybe third, guy was just a basic strengthening quirk that subconsciously laid the seed for what All-Might would become famous for. All-Might could naturally use it because he was just a quirkless swoleman and it came naturally, and Deku instinctively first tapped it because he was imitating his hero.

all might didn't know about the other quirk stuff, so presumably nana also only used the strengthening quirk from o4a

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

all might didn't know about the other quirk stuff, so presumably nana also only used the strengthening quirk from o4a

The black whip guy makes a point that his quirk wasn't particularly useful compared to the strength from O4A, so he didn't really use it and it's massively more powerful with Izuku same as the strength/toughness from the power stockpiling.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like the idea of O4A's true form literally just being spider-man

next power will be a red suit

the power after that will be a webbed suit

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sticky hands, Peter Tingle, that venom shock thing Miles does.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Sticky hands, Peter Tingle, that venom shock thing Miles does.

if you're pulling in miles powers then he'll also go invisible, further cannibalizing his classmates' powers

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Nobody has faith that Horikoshi will be able to do something interesting and unique...

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Interesting? Yeah.

Unique? Really hard to do with all the ground that's been tread in the superhero genre.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Generally speaking I think Horikoshi has done an excellent job coming up with superpower ideas in a pretty laden set of genres (Superhero and Shonen alike).

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yeah, just ask Gwen Stacy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, duh, we all knew that. People were just talking about in the much-harder-to-suspend-disbelif-for video game, because it has cops that don't suck and shoot randomly into a crowd of people because a pigeon took off too loudly in an alleyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Spider-Man has not killed people.