Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

sebzilla posted:

He's a massive number two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

TBF United also don't have a lot of number 10s, but then again Lingard isn't really one of those either so

What do you reckon his position is? He's not a wide player, usually, right?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Myssu posted:

When Lingard has played well it's been at 10 or wide forward (rather than out and out winger).

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Bundy posted:

When Lingard has played well it's been at 10 or wide forward (rather than out and out winger).

Wasn't he pretty good as a #10 in the 2018 WC or I am confusing him with Sterling accidentally (not racist)?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
My (bad) memory is that he had good movement and was reliably available to receive the ball but then did the sum total of nothing once he got it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sticksy posted:

Wasn't he pretty good as a #10 in the 2018 WC or I am confusing him with Sterling accidentally (not racist)?

Nah he was one of the 3 in the middle of the 3-5-2 (Sterling and Kane being the up front 2) if memory serves but played as almost between 8 and 10. All I remember is that goal tbh but nothing that made me sad he went.

He's got personal problems and until the Arsenal match, had been effective still. Personally sad it doesn't look like he's sticking around if rumours are true but indeed it's not like we're losing someone world class, but a decent squad player.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sebzilla posted:

He's a massive number two

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Shrapnig posted:

As poo poo as he's been for over a year, United's midfield is currently so thin that I can't really see this happening.

Could move Shaw into midfield for some balance.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Milan could probably use him, every midfielder we have except Bonaventura is poo poo.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Gigi Galli posted:

Milan could probably use him, every midfielder we have except Bonaventura is poo poo.

More poo poo than JESSE LINGARD, though, GG?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

I watched a lot of Man U over the holidays, you couldn't use him OP

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lingard is literally not good enough for the Premier league

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

Well then I’m sure Gazidis is on the phone right now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Myssu posted:

I think his actual position was attacking midfielder (ie. number 10), I was more referring to him being in such an amazing slump in form that the only thing he can do is run a lot. Even the simplest passes are going wrong, let alone creating anything or coming close to scoring.

I feel a ton of sympathy towards him, because he seems like a nice person and has been going through a ton of personal difficulties.

trem_two posted:

A fresh start abroad could be just the thing for him. Before he hit this massive slump he was a useful player, even if he's never been the world's most technically gifted footballer.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
David Ornstein says Norwich’s Todd Cantwell is a target to replace Adam Lallana. I don’t know if Lallana needs replacing but Cantwell seems really good (but underused).

also the article had this cool and good
photo of Fabinho flying

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Andre Ayew's instagram account "was hacked" and announced he was going back to Fenerbache.

Journos have been bolding the Brewster loan for the last day and a half, but nothing official yet. Mods?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

paddyboat posted:

David Ornstein says Norwich’s Todd Cantwell is a target to replace Adam Lallana. I don’t know if Lallana needs replacing but Cantwell seems really good (but underused).

also the article had this cool and good
photo of Fabinho flying

smacking my lips

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/SwansOfficial/status/1214608092182274048?s=20

Rhian is a girl's name.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

in Big Club News, danish club OB has Sold Ramon Leeuwin to AZ Alkmaar. He will be missed as an actual defender

In reaction to this, OB has decided to sign American Hero Emmanuel Sabbi on a free (next summer) alongside some dutch guy some Mart Lieder. Truly amazing transfer news. Hopefully the club will some day sign a defender

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Speaking of Salzburg, does anyone know why they are more dominate than a team in Vienna? I know the reasons Berlin doesn't really have a great team to compete with Munich but I have no clue why Vienna couldn't support something better.

I do know historically Vienna has had some stronger teams but it seems in recent years Salzburg has taken over.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

In reaction to this, OB has decided to sign American Hero Emmanuel Sabbi on a free (next summer)

Ah yes, I have definitely heard of this Italian born of Ghanaian heritage who I guess grew up in the US thus making him American.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

T Bowl posted:

Speaking of Salzburg, does anyone know why they are more dominate than a team in Vienna? I know the reasons Berlin doesn't really have a great team to compete with Munich but I have no clue why Vienna couldn't support something better.

I do know historically Vienna has had some stronger teams but it seems in recent years Salzburg has taken over.

I think the big Red Bull in front RB Salzburg's name might be a start.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Gigi Galli posted:

I think the big Red Bull in front RB Salzburg's name might be a start.

Purchased in 2005 and won the league a year later, I guess so huh. I wonder then if we will be seeing Leipzig as a dominate force in Germany very soon, as I know they started from nothing.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Shrapnig posted:

Ah yes, I have definitely heard of this Italian born of Ghanaian heritage who I guess grew up in the US thus making him American.

Exactly! I'm sure he will boost both recognition of the club in the States and merch sales. New Pulisic

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

T Bowl posted:

Purchased in 2005 and won the league a year later, I guess so huh. I wonder then if we will be seeing Leipzig as a dominate force in Germany very soon, as I know they started from nothing.

Take a look at the current Bundesliga standings op.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Gigi Galli posted:

Take a look at the current Bundesliga standings op.

Yeah, and they were third last year. Going from the 5th division in a decade.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So Red Bull Arsenal could mean they are good again?

Get in some ears Thierry!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

It does op

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The kid grew up in Ohio, that's like weapons grade America

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the only thing more american than growing up in ohio is never leaving ohio

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

greazeball fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 7, 2020

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Der Shovel posted:

I feel a ton of sympathy towards him, because he seems like a nice person and has been going through a ton of personal difficulties.

A fresh start abroad could be just the thing for him. Before he hit this massive slump he was a useful player, even if he's never been the world's most technically gifted footballer.

i don't think while undergoing personal/family difficulties it's a great idea to them move to another country?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol the owners of benitezs Chinese team are apparently pulling out because they want to be involved with a home town team

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Shrapnig posted:

That's how Nationality works.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shrapnig posted:

:chloe:

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

T Bowl posted:

Yeah, and they were third last year. Going from the 5th division in a decade.

GerMan City

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GazzaONuallain/status/1214933206547476480

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Potential good news for Ninpo and der Shovel?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/07/internazionale-in-talks-with-manchester-united-over-ashley-young-transfer

quote:

Internazionale are in talks with Manchester United over the transfer of Ashley Young, with the 34-year-old ready to accept a contract until 2021 with the Serie A club.

Young, who did not feature in United’s 3-1 defeat by Manchester City in the first leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final on Tuesday night, is out of contract at Old Trafford in the summer and has made 10 Premier League starts this season. Inter have held talks with United over whether they will have to pay a fee for the former England international and he is understood to be keen to reunite with former United teammates Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sánchez under the former Chelsea manager Antonio Conte.

:confuoot:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He can leave on a free in the summer, I don't know why Inter would want to pay any kind of fee for Young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

All well and good but we won't be able to field a loving 11 soon if we're getting rid and not signing SIGN SOME loving WARM BODIES