Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

IDGAF about the date today, I'm already checked out of work for the rest of the year and Liverpool have already made the best transfer* of the window anyway

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1207580239829835776

Put on your Christmas jumpers and start posting speculative bullshit from papers you never read about players you've never seen but some muppet retweeted it so now it's in your timeline!

*unless United somehow manage to get someone to give them anything at all for Ashley Young

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tarbrush posted:

This is I think what's happening with the Red Sox right now.

So in other words expect Minamino to be a Salah replacement

I love Mo but Mané is the one everyone's sniffing around these days and his clutch stats this season have been off the charts

Minamino looks more like a Firmino replacement anyway

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Mane for Mbappe straight swap.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

greazeball posted:

I love Mo but Mané is the one everyone's sniffing around these days and his clutch stats this season have been off the charts

Minamino looks more like a Firmino replacement anyway

The player isn't important, more the principle that there may well be a lot of replacing £100m players with £10m players coming up

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

tarbrush posted:

The player isn't important, more the principle that there may well be a lot of replacing £100m players with £10m players coming up

That doesn't seem like a good plan for continuing to push for titles.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alan pardew to Dutch relegation candidate ado den Haag lol

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The talk at the moment is that Klopp is preparing for one full rebuild before the end of his contract in 2024. It is likely that one of Salah and Mané want to leave in the next year or two, neither are diehard reds and if they (particularly Salah) want to be global superstars unfortunately they're probably going to have to go through Real or Barca at some point. I don't think Minamino is necessarily a replacement for those two - though of course we have a track record of buying players for cheap and turning them into the best players in their positions - and if one of them do leave I think we'll see a big big transfer to replace them along the lines of Sancho or Mbappe.

James Pearce midweek said he thinks the midfield is the next area to invest in. Henderson and Wijnaldum are 29 and Milner is 33 so in four years time I very much doubt any of those three will still be here. If we're just taking the players we currently have Fabinho and Oxlade-Chamberlain are 26 whilst Keita is 24, so all else being equal those three will take the place of the older lot. We don't have too much coming through other than Curtis Jones in midfield so getting someone else in that 20-22 age range would be perfect. There was some rumours going around midweek that we had been asking about Kai Havertz but I suspect the rest of Europe is as well.

My main concern is the defence because we have zero good left backs at the club beyond Robertson and there's a gaping hole at center back. I would like to see us make a move for a young CB in January (even if we loan them back) to try and shore up that position for the future.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

pik_d posted:

That doesn't seem like a good plan for continuing to push for titles.

Yes. That's my point.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

The talk at the moment is that Klopp is preparing for one full rebuild before the end of his contract in 2024. It is likely that one of Salah and Mané want to leave in the next year or two, neither are diehard reds and if they (particularly Salah) want to be global superstars unfortunately they're probably going to have to go through Real or Barca at some point. I don't think Minamino is necessarily a replacement for those two - though of course we have a track record of buying players for cheap and turning them into the best players in their positions - and if one of them do leave I think we'll see a big big transfer to replace them along the lines of Sancho or Mbappe.

James Pearce midweek said he thinks the midfield is the next area to invest in. Henderson and Wijnaldum are 29 and Milner is 33 so in four years time I very much doubt any of those three will still be here. If we're just taking the players we currently have Fabinho and Oxlade-Chamberlain are 26 whilst Keita is 24, so all else being equal those three will take the place of the older lot. We don't have too much coming through other than Curtis Jones in midfield so getting someone else in that 20-22 age range would be perfect. There was some rumours going around midweek that we had been asking about Kai Havertz but I suspect the rest of Europe is as well.

My main concern is the defence because we have zero good left backs at the club beyond Robertson and there's a gaping hole at center back. I would like to see us make a move for a young CB in January (even if we loan them back) to try and shore up that position for the future.

Robertson's more the exception than the rule for that position though, he's the first good player we've had there since Riise. Aurelio, Konchesky, Moreno, Insua, Dossena, Cissokho... Enrique was OK for a bit I guess, but the others were just not.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Aurelio was good.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

EvilHawk posted:

It is likely that one of Salah and Mané want to leave in the next year or two, neither are diehard reds and if they (particularly Salah) want to be global superstars unfortunately they're probably going to have to go through Real or Barca at some point.

I agree, you can't really be a superstar playing for Liverpool

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

greazeball posted:

Robertson's more the exception than the rule for that position though, he's the first good player we've had there since Riise. Aurelio, Konchesky, Moreno, Insua, Dossena, Cissokho... Enrique was OK for a bit I guess, but the others were just not.

Yeah left back is a massive problem for basically every team because there's so few about. I dunno, we might be able to turn Larouci or one of the other kids into a good left back - maybe try doing what we did with Trent on the other side.

oliwan posted:

I agree, you can't really be a superstar playing for Liverpool

As ever, gently caress off oliwan.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

A few years ago I'd agree that Liverpool weren't a huge global club but now they are consistently doing well in the League and CL I don't see why players would go to Barca or Real tbh

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CyberPingu posted:

A few years ago I'd agree that Liverpool weren't a huge global club but now they are consistently doing well in the League and CL I don't see why players would go to Barca or Real tbh

Barca and Real are both bigger clubs with more money in better places. Plus players from Southern Europe and Latin America tend to favor those clubs. So that’s why.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

Barca and Real are both bigger clubs with more money in better places. Plus players from Southern Europe and Latin America tend to favor those clubs. So that’s why.

Yeah that's fair. I tend to think of Liverpool as having comparable finances to Barca but that's probably not true.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

CyberPingu posted:

Sadly if you really want to be a global superstar I think you still need to be in one of those two clubs. I don't even think United at their pomp would have been a bigger draw than the Spanish teams.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Not having to live in the Northwest of England tbf

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Sadly if you really want to be a global superstar I think you still need to be in one of those two clubs. I don't even think United at their pomp would have been a bigger draw than the Spanish teams.

Objectively they were not since Beckham and Ronnie both forced their way to Madrid. It’s just really tough to keep a player when Real and Barca start sniffing around.

Unfortunately I think Mane is likely to go within the next year or so.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Plus you get to play in a hilariously easier league and get to have a bunch of highlight reels against absolute cloggers, while being guaranteed your team will finish in the top 3 at a minimum.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
And Barcelona is probably a top 5 city to live in whilst insanely loaded.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My hope is that Minamino is for squad rotation like Shaq and Origi, my fear is that he'll replace Mane or Salah. Either way these days I have a lot of faith in Klopp and the club's transfer acumen and their ability to get the best out of players, so I'm pretty hopeful.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

EvilHawk posted:

As ever, gently caress off oliwan.

What's wrong op? I agree with you

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CyberPingu posted:

Never visited Liverpool, I take it

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

oliwan posted:

What's wrong op? I agree with you

Some people don’t like being hit on, oliwan! Lmao

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Never visited Liverpool, I take it

Driven past it a few times, but no.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

This is highly revisionist, Ferguson forced Beckham out after being fed up with his celebrity poo poo. It was Ronaldo's "childhood dream" to play for Real Madrid.

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah left back is a massive problem for basically every team because there's so few about. I dunno, we might be able to turn Larouci or one of the other kids into a good left back - maybe try doing what we did with Trent on the other side.

Can I interest you in one noted Premier League winning Ashley Young?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

tarbrush posted:

I wouldn't read too much into what FSG are doing with the Red Sox. Dropping a couple places in the MLB standings doesn't impact the bottom line much. Liverpool's owners know what dropping a few places in the premier league means.

But yes I would expect to see some Liverpool players start talking about "my next chapter" soon, especially if they win the league this year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just to illustrate the vast chasm between how Major League Baseball works and how Premier League soccer works, here are the Boston Red Sox's records the past nine years.

2011: 90-72 (3rd place out of 5 teams in their divison)
2012: 69-93 (last)
2013: 97-65 (1st, won the World Series)
2014: 71-91 (last)
2015: 78-84 (last)
2016: 93-69 (1st)
2017: 93-69 (1st)
2018: 108-54 (1st, won World Series)
2019: 84-78 (3rd)

That kind of yo-yoing is impossible in soccer, because in baseball your best players don't all demand to be traded when you don't qualify for the playoffs, and also because any player you develop yourself you have total control over, basically for free, for 5-6 years.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bundy posted:

This is highly revisionist, Ferguson forced Beckham out after being fed up with his celebrity poo poo. It was Ronaldo's "childhood dream" to play for Real Madrid.

The Beckham part is fair enough, but the Ronaldo part is proving his point.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

greazeball posted:

Please don't tell porkies about Andrea Dossena, Slayer of Real, Destroyer of Manu.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Thankfully for other ambitious clubs, even Barca and Real have limits on how many players they can have on their squad.

Until Liverpool somehow recreate La Masia on Merseyside, which seems unlikely, Liverpool will always have to buy well and try to look for value. City being able to tap into a bottomless well of cash and other big clubs being 1-2 good transfer windows away from overtaking Liverpool means resting on one's laurels isn't an option.

Bundy posted:

How much did his wife's career benefit or slide because he was in Madrid? I read that he made his move to the LA Galaxy earlier than predicted partly to help her Hollywood celebrity aspirations. He could have lit up Serie A or gone back to England for a bit before going to the US.

EvilHawk posted:

I agree on the fullback issue. Milner will eventually age out and the club is generally too dependent on Alexander-Arnold and Robertson. Having a quality back-up or competition would be a massive boost.

With regard to the CB spots, I've read that Klopp and Co. have high hopes for Ki-Jana Hoever. Hopefully Van Der Berg develops well too.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

CyberPingu posted:

Aurelio was good.

He was great the 20% of the time he was fit.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Strawman posted:

He was great the 20% of the time he was fit.

Remember the post-Benitez months when Purslow let Aurelio go because he was a sick note and then Hodgson scrambled to get him back before the season started because they didn't have enough money to buy anyone else? Good times.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Brony Car posted:

He could have lit up Serie A or gone back to England for a bit before going to the US.

He played for us in the MLS offseason on the same team as Pirlo and Ronaldinho and let me tell you, it owned. I don’t remember if the galaxy paid his salary but it was an insane bargain even if they didn’t.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

He played for us in the MLS offseason on the same team as Pirlo and Ronaldinho and let me tell you, it owned. I don’t remember if the galaxy paid his salary but it was an insane bargain even if they didn’t.

I watched some of those Milan matches. Beckham dealt with aging pretty well so I think he could have swung some more time in Europe if he didn't have other priorities. I'm sure the Designated Player money was a big plus, but going to the US when he did still seemed like a waste.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Brony Car posted:

With regard to the CB spots, I've read that Klopp and Co. have high hopes for Ki-Jana Hoever. Hopefully Van Der Berg develops well too.

If TAA makes the prophesized move into midfield, then Hoever is perfect to replace him at RB. I'm not sure he's playing much at CB in the unders at the moment.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

You can't say "whoever is perfect to replace him at RB" regarding TAA if he moves he's a special player you know

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TAA is not a right back, the only reason he’s there is his pace and work rate, which bails him out of his many defensive frailties, and his incredible crossing ability from the right

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Brony Car posted:

Remember the post-Benitez months when Purslow let Aurelio go because he was a sick note and then Hodgson scrambled to get him back before the season started because they didn't have enough money to buy anyone else? Good times.

He was still Hodgson's best signing, tbf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Shrapnig posted:

TAA is not a right back, the only reason he’s there is his pace and work rate, which bails him out of his many defensive frailties, and his incredible crossing ability from the right

He's a right back in Klopp's current system, which requires the full backs to get forward as much as possible rather than defend which is usually covered by the midfielders.