Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MrOzzy posted:

Is this any good?

To expand on what others said, attributes and resists on weapons are usually a big red flag that the weapon is trash. You can get those stats on literally any other item slot, and on a weapon they take the place of really good affixes like attack speed and crit chance/multi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yet another goon just got a mirror. Not me of course but yeah.

Elentor posted:

I know how HOTG works, this isn't my first minion build there. I knew what I was getting into. I needed the rush.

But yes of course do as I say don't do as I do etc.

Could you post your PoB? I don't have many passives in minion life/res so I just wanna compare to your tree and see if my AG will be as tough as yours.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

So I haven't been able to play much this league because I bought a house, been moving, etc. I just got settled in to spend about hour .... 10 or so of the league on my league starter. Dropped this bad boy. Good game. 2020 is a good year so far.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Null1fy posted:

So I haven't been able to play much this league because I bought a house, been moving, etc. I just got settled in to spend about hour .... 10 or so of the league on my league starter. Dropped this bad boy. Good game. 2020 is a good year so far.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Awesome, congrats. :)
Normally, a goon wouldn't want to be near a mirror, yet here we are.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero VGS posted:

Yet another goon just got a mirror. Not me of course but yeah.

Could you post your PoB? I don't have many passives in minion life/res so I just wanna compare to your tree and see if my AG will be as tough as yours.

https://pastebin.com/BmCNeqdx

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I wonder if Bone Nova from Uul-Netol's Embrace interacts with Astral Projection and/or Fury Valve in fun ways. Could combine it with Earthquake on a Gladiator.
edit: scratch that, Bone Nova is not a spell.

Acht fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 7, 2020

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Suspicious posted:

Feeling pretty dumb asking this but what's the purpose of the thread of hope? Your whole tree is connected.

Also what would you put in the 3 freed slots no longer used by the HoAg support gems?

Thread of Hope is giving me Piercing Shots, Soul Raker (for the global leech and leech recovery), Master of Force (for the str and double damage), and Assassination.

For the extra sockets, I would run Plague Bearer w/ Empower.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Found a Sirus strat that completely avoids having to drag storms anywhere, killed him 5 times in a row now (with 2 deathless).

After the first phase, let him spawn the storm then run southwest towards the tent/boxes at the edge of the map. Stand there and Sirus will move slowly towards you - you should see his shadow moving and the screen slowly zoom out the closer he gets. After a few seconds, he should be clear of the storm, so just run back underneath him to start phase 2.

After phase 2, do the same thing, but run and stand right next to the tent at the edge of the map to start with. Otherwise same thing, let him float towards you then run under him when he gets close enough/clear of his storm.

For phase 3, the same tactic applies but this time run northwest towards the stairs (usually getting as far as the circular logo on the ground is good enough, you shouldn't have to reach the stairs themselves). Once he gets close enough towards you, run back underneath him to start the final phase.

Bagpuss_UK fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 7, 2020

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Is that the strat that is on youtube recently? I failed it my first attempt because somehow the graphics vs actual damaging area are unclear to me, but I do recall he moves left, bottom right, top right for the phases respectively.
I died to a storm thinking it wasn't touching me and that botched my entire attempt due to the 4th storm messing it up.

Wonder what changes will come tomorrow.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

silvergoose posted:

Yeah, but you can almost do red maps with very little cool stuff anyway

Also thanks for being an awesome person in the last few days.

I’m wearing roughly 2-2.5 ex worth of gear so I hope so!

Also you are too kind.

Elentor posted:

I feel like an insane heathen for not running convocation. Even in my heart it feels wrong not to but I just can't find the slot.

I usually drop Convocation but this build it feels like a necessity to keep the melee minions going with me. I’m playing a kitchen sink multi-summoner and mage skeletons are my six-link, so they cover the screen in projectiles and DPS and I just resummon them as needed, while using Flame Dash to basically be a little strategic bomber dropping the rest of my minions on important targets directly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Convocation is such a clear increaser, jump into the middle of a pack, convocation, zombies slam the entire thing dead.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Convocation is such a clear increaser, jump into the middle of a pack, convocation, zombies slam the entire thing dead.

I really like my Zombie Meatshield army for Metamorph, with Skeletons doing the heavy lifting

Femur of the Saints means my zombies give me insane regen, and while the skeletons and debuffing raging spirits target the Metamorph, my posse of zombies and a few defensive spectres in a helm that beefs them up mean that the rare spawns that pop up next to me get slammed and debuffed quickly.

I still like convocation to pull them out of hot water and traps and such.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
January twitch prime mtx

Not available just yet

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jusupov posted:

January twitch prime mtx

Not available just yet

I get that it's twitch purple but that hood looks pretty terrible with that texture. Maybe it looks better in motion?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

pixaal posted:

I get that it's twitch purple but that hood looks pretty terrible with that texture. Maybe it looks better in motion?

It looks like it was cut out from something in paint then pasted on there

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jusupov posted:

It looks like it was cut out from something in paint then pasted on there

More like the GIMP magic wand tool but more the way the hood and face cover just kind of blend into a hellish blob not it sitting on the character mode which looks very shopped but also isn't super uncommon to photoshop promotional images before they are ready for in game testing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Vasudus posted:

Thread of Hope is giving me Piercing Shots, Soul Raker (for the global leech and leech recovery), Master of Force (for the str and double damage), and Assassination.

For the extra sockets, I would run Plague Bearer w/ Empower.

Just chiming in to say that plague bearer (even without the empower) is loving nuts. Can clear mobs in t16 maps with it on its own, unlinked and not even at level 20 :eyepop:

Super value use of a socket.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
What’s the go-to powerlevelling skill for bows nowadays? Last time I checked it was rain of arrows.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have some top secret tech of a skill I can use with CwC Cyclone that would enable me to stack poison on a single target but also kite it?

There's some metamorph bosses that I can't facetank even with 16000 ES and Fortify. I need to Cyclone away (Cyclone is important because otherwise I stun too easily) and kite them, but CwC Ball Lightning casts in the direction of my cursor. Arc only seems to auto-target at very close range so that's no good. Storm Brand doesn't hit fast enough at 0.6 hits a second (CwC itself is like 0.35 casts a second).

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ConfusedPig posted:

I'm looking at attempting a CoC/CwC Volatile/Detonate Dead build. Are those things doable on a 5-7 ex budget? What are the trade-offs between CoC vs CwC? Any goon endorsed guides/PoBs to follow?

I'll just add to all this that a Sceptre is gonna be a lot cheaper and can achieve very close performance to a dagger.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone have some top secret tech of a skill I can use with CwC Cyclone that would enable me to stack poison on a single target but also kite it?

There's some metamorph bosses that I can't facetank even with 16000 ES and Fortify. I need to Cyclone away (Cyclone is important because otherwise I stun too easily) and kite them, but CwC Ball Lightning casts in the direction of my cursor. Arc only seems to auto-target at very close range so that's no good. Storm Brand doesn't hit fast enough at 0.6 hits a second (CwC itself is like 0.35 casts a second).

I think the only thing that would work in your case is Ethereal Knives with the Ring of Blades jewel and some investment in projectile speed to increase the distance. Pretty sure that's totally not worth it though.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 7, 2020

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Toshimo posted:

I'm reminded constantly that I'm not in love with solo grinding ARPGs in my advanced age, so if anyone wants to just run a bunch of dumb stuff or needs help getting past stuff, I'm on most every night, largely just idling because I'd rather watch a movie and monitor the trade site than run red maps solo.

I hosed up my first character of the league by spending all my meager money on a lovely puncture deadeye and the thought of running through the story solo again just made me quit instead despite wanting to see the new atlas stuff, so if part of this offer is speed running folks to maps it may get me back in. I already deleted all my characters and uninstalled a couple weeks ago but I didn't have much anyway. I'll give a shout in 5555 if I reinstall soon. Probably will just go dom blow guardian with pets to make it easier than that crappy archer, mostly because I sorta know what I'm building for there.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Try slower projectiles with ball lightning, the morph will probably just walk right into it nicely. If you can't spare the support gem slot, I guess you could try firestorm at the risk of melting your computer.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jusupov posted:

January twitch prime mtx

Not available just yet

New character name: Twitch Sackhead.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So I've had an extreme uptick in people asking me for build help/advice/etc since 3.9 started. I've figured that the root cause is that people are following pre-3.9 build guides that do not account for the damage changes made with this league, and these players do not have a fundamental understanding of game mechanics so they're unable to improve their situation. I want to be clear that I'm not saying that as a slight: this poo poo is complicated and people just want to smash monsters and get loot. So I'm going to put on my knowledge translation hat and try and explain some poo poo for folks.

Caveats: I am going to be speaking in general terms that may not always be 100% accurate. I am not trying to turn this into a wikipedia fight, so please don't quote one line and post a screed with formulas with a big YOU'RE WRONG. I'm trying to get across a general point; the individuals reading this can always read more in-depth poo poo on their own time. Righto, so on with the show.

I generally view builds as one of four types: Damage Avoidance, Damage Mitigation, Damage Recovery, and Raw Effective Health (EHP). I will be explaining each of these four archtypes along with their pros, cons, and examples. My definition of a 'good build' uses one of these archtypes as a primary and at least one other method as a secondary, which I will also explain later.

----------

Damage Avoidance: Consists of -Accuracy, Dodge, Avoidance, and Evasion. These builds focus primarily on one concept: Don't Get Hit.
-Accuracy: Comes from three primary sources: Blind (-50% Accuracy), Enfeeble (variable%), and Dread Banner (variable%). This is listed first because it's first in the damage table: If a monster can't hit you in the first place, the other poo poo doesn't come into play.
Evasion: Rolled before dodge, and uses a complicated entropy system. I'm not going to get into the details of how the math works out, but the important takeaway is that it is NOT RNG. If you have 100 hits that are supposed to hit you with 50% evasion, 50 of those hits will land and 50 you will evade. Or rather, those 50 hits will then be rolled against dodge.
Dodge: Dodge is rolled when a monster attacks AFTER evasion, and comes in either Attack Dodge (melee/ranged) and Spell Dodge. This is pure RNG and does not use an entropy system.

Pros: You will be absolutely amazed at the crazy poo poo that a dodge-based character can 'tank'. Right before they go splat, because they most likely have little Damage Mitigation...
Cons: Weak to things such as degens (Metamorphs, Elderslayers), ground-targeted AoE abilities (Metamorphs, Elderslayers, Sirus), and other non-hitting damage fields.

Damage Mitigation: Consists of Armor, Elemental and Chaos Resistances, incoming damage conversions, and damage reduction sources such as Fortify. It also includes Block and Spell Block. The objective of these is that if you are hit, you aren't hit as hard. I'm not going to get into details about resistances other than this: I do not consider Chaos Resistance as optional anymore. I'm not saying you need to cap your Chaos Resistance, though that is nice, but having -60 nowadays will forever be a recipe for bad times. Get as much as you reasonably can.

Pros: Damage Mitigation builds laugh at many things in the game that give me heartburn. Armor smooths out most physical hits, getting 78%+ resistances makes things considerably easier because of how mitigation works.
Cons: Damage Mitigation primarily works on hits, not degens, and is often difficult to obtain in high quantity without sacrificing other things such as damage or other types of avoidance.

Damage Recovery: Consists of Leech above-and-beyond (likely with Vaal Pact or being a Slayer), excessive Life Gained on Hit, Energy Shield Gained on Hit, and so on. The general principle is that if you are hit, and you're hit hard, you recover your EHP back as quickly as possible to take more hits.

Pros: Damage Recovery works as an excellent secondary defense, and I'm a huge fan of excessive LGoH jewelry for many leagues.
Cons: Damage Recovery gets absolutely hosed in certain situations. Bosses like the Eradicator, no regen maps, no leech maps, and so on will totally gently caress you if this is your primary build type. You're also prone to being burst down before your recovery can do its thing.

Raw Effective Health: When you're going big or going home. The 9k Kaoms build. The 25k ES mana tank. You've seen them. Builds that have considerably beyond the standard amount of health expected.

Pros: Assuming you don't sacrifice your damage and you have other means to deal with incoming damage, these builds can survive some crazy poo poo.
Cons: A fair amount of builds that focus on high EHP sacrifice a lot of damage to get there. The longer a fight goes on, the better chance of getting killed. They also tend to lack other defensive layers, which leads to dying in situations where avoiding or mitigating the damage would have saved you.

----------

Okay then so that's the four major build archetypes. Can you put your build into one of these holes exclusively? If so, you're probably going to get hosed in 3.9 more than previously. That's why Metamorphs are so loving dangerous (visual clues aside) and why some people are hitting a brick wall now on reds. Fights are lasting longer which leads to more opportunities for damage to bleed through. Think about some of the most popular builds this league and why they're doing good. You know what makes Necro builds so good? It's not the damage, it's the fact that you can stack a bunch of EHP without sacrificing anything and then pile on poo poo like Spirit/Bone Offering while their Zombies are leeching for them. The damage is extra, these builds would still be good if you cut the damage by 75%.

My Chaos Wander is another example: I'm Dodge capped running Dread Banner, have high evasion, and then Mistwall covers my rear end by providing 75% block against one hit followed by elemental avoidance if I do get hit. If all of that fails, I take reduced damage from hits while Elusive and while certain numbers of rares/uniques are near. Then I have fast recovery leech and a hefty source of Life Gain on Hit. It's layers upon layers of ways to not loving die.

Solution: Diversify your defensive layers. Run Dread Banner since it's only 10% mana reservation. Use a Granite or Basalt Flask. Get extra resists beyond 75%. Make your Chaos Resistance positive at least. Use the Mistwall shield if you're dodge/evasion based. This is all old advice, but now it's more important than ever because 3.9 changed the game and I think this is the direction things are going to be heading even more in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhAompSttsU

EE has a good video. He uses different terms than I do but it's all the same poo poo.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Vasudus posted:

Solution: Diversify your defensive layers.

Great post, I slapped it in the second post because the drat OP is at the character limit.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a great post.

As an addendum (and Vasudus said he wasn't gonna cover everything because tbqh that's pretty darn hard), there are also separate things that can come into play. Slow from things like Temporal Chains will reduce the enemy's DPS but not the alpha - but it might be enough for you to be just faster enough to kill them without taking a hit. As is your raw speed, both attack/cast and movement speed. It's amazing how much stuff you can dodge purely by virtue of walking past the enemy before they get the first attack off.

Phase Run has a fairly interesting effect of not only making you able to ignore enemy collision but also reduce the aggro radius.

Similarly, Taunt on Minions and stuff like Decoy Totems can absorb a considerable amount of damage. These can also nullify damage sources in unexpected ways (like rotating laser staying stationary because it's targetting a totem, or Shaper's beam targetting something else).

Critical Damage reduction is pretty nice to prevent one-shots.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 7, 2020

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Hey goons! I am getting close to being done with my 40/40 of the league, and am just finishing off my last 8 Sirus kills so if anyone needs a free carry for the next couple days hit me up in game. Meta_Cin or Zulzk is my IGN this league, will be on most evenings, and I'm even willing to try and rescue your failed attempts but no promises if you made the storms a disaster. I'm still happy to do carries even after I finish my 40/40 but I may not be on as often.

Overall it's been a fantastic league, I never go for 40/40 normally but I ended up playing so much more than normal that I got close without even trying. I think I'll come back in a month to try some SSF builds as practice for next league, need to have a few things ready depending on what all gets nerfed.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm doing a CoC VD necro and am kind of running out of steam for this league, so I figure I might as well spend my poo poo to juice my character up a bit before I go: https://pastebin.com/NQf6MVJq

I have about 25 exalts to work with, can get more by selling maps since I have a bunch of influenced and generic T16s sitting around. I should get Cinderswallow, but I'm procrastinating hard on it because I don't want to remove any of my current flasks. I tried buying some CoC swords but they all simmed real bad compared to Martyr - most of them did a bit more damage but at the cost of way lower average hits and framerate-killing attack speed that would probably dumpster my actual killing ability (going by my experiences with Terminus Est early in the league) plus a complete and utter nosedive in survivability since Martyr gives me 44% block with the passive cluster and endurance charges. The one I tried was an Exquisite blade with 1.58AS, like 7.7% crit and crafted 92% spelldamage, and it had like 30% less hit damage on VD even with the extra support. Cost me 8 ex and I ended up just selling it (for 8.2 luckily).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
As a Champion with the aura-boosting nodes, I’m a big fan of popping Vaal Grace as an extra defensive layer for map metamorphs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Vasudus posted:

Solution: Diversify your defensive layers.
https://www.twitch.tv/nugiyen/clip/PunchyEnthusiasticAnteaterKappaWealth

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Well he wasn't wrong

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Zero VGS posted:

With Sire of Shards projectiles will be fired all around you. That could solve your problem.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Yeah some heavily telegraphed attacks are just oneshots. Doesn't matter what you do to mitigate it, and that's why I will never play HC.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Tabletops posted:

I'll just add to all this that a Sceptre is gonna be a lot cheaper and can achieve very close performance to a dagger.

Aren't the orthodox weapon choices staff for CwC and 2h sword for CoC?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
In an impale/bleed cyclone setup, would you rather run 60% chance to impale and maim, or 100% impale?

Currently slotting Cyclone - close combat - melee phys - fortify - pulverize - maim, and im thinking about *not* taking 3 skill points to go from 60 to 80%, but rather swap a support and have 100% and stick the 3 points somewhere else.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Vasudus posted:

My Chaos Wander is another example: I'm Dodge capped running Dread Banner, have high evasion, and then Mistwall covers my rear end by providing 75% block against one hit followed by elemental avoidance if I do get hit. If all of that fails, I take reduced damage from hits while Elusive and while certain numbers of rares/uniques are near. Then I have fast recovery leech and a hefty source of Life Gain on Hit. It's layers upon layers of ways to not loving die.

Did you/can you post your chaos wander build in here? It sounded really fun when people were talking about it in goonchat in game and I'm starting to get a little bored/frustrated with my necro.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Yolomon Wayne posted:

In an impale/bleed cyclone setup, would you rather run 60% chance to impale and maim, or 100% impale?

Currently slotting Cyclone - close combat - melee phys - fortify - pulverize - maim, and im thinking about *not* taking 3 skill points to go from 60 to 80%, but rather swap a support and have 100% and stick the 3 points somewhere else.

Always run the impale support. Get yo maim from somewhere else. Not running the impale gem loses you tons of damage if you focus on impale. Between the gem, banner and the impale nodes, you hit 100% impale without picking up the cruddy nodes that only increase impale chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

Always run the impale support. Get yo maim from somewhere else. Not running the impale gem loses you tons of damage if you focus on impale. Between the gem, banner and the impale nodes, you hit 100% impale without picking up the cruddy nodes that only increase impale chance.

Ok, recolored and got impale in there, now praying for Elreon to get his craft so i can run pride, banner and both x&y stance-skills and STILL cyclone...