Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Phenotype posted:

His orders from Colon were "if he gives you any trouble, you just leave, okay?" so Carrot was just being very honest, as usual. If Whiteface didn't do what Carrot said, Carrot was going to carry out his orders and leave. And he wouldn't like it and he'd be ashamed of it, but he'd do it.

I love that bit too. :)

I love how Colon's internal monologue describes it too. Something about having seen people bluff with bad hands before, but he'd never seen someone bluff with no cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Jedit posted:

The commandment is not "thou shalt not kill". It's "thou shalt not do murder", a distinction Pterry was always careful to make without reducing it to the Texas Defence.

When the body had stopped rolling, Vimes looked around the square. People were watching from the coaches. The crowds were silent.

There were a lot of things he could say. ‘Son of a bitch!’ would have been a good one. Or he could say, ‘Welcome to civilization!’ He could have said, ‘Laugh this one off!’ He might have said, ‘Fetch!’

But he didn’t, because if he had said any of those things then he’d have known that what he had just done was murder.

He turned away, tossed the empty mortar over his shoulder and muttered, 'The hell with it.'

At times like this teetotalism bit down hard.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Isn't it Carrot that does the "easy way/hard way" gag with a stick poking into a guard's back in uh, Fifth Elephant as well?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

In The Fifth Element it's Angua, and she doesn't even have a pointed stick:

quote:

Snow was falling again. The watchman that Vimes had named Colonesque was leaning in his box by the hubward gate of Bonk. He'd perfected the art, and it was was an art form, of going to sleep upright with his eyes open. It was one of the things you learned, on endless nights.

A female voice by his ear said, "Now, there are two ways this could go."

His position didn't change. He continued to stare straight ahead.

"You haven't seen anything. That's the truth, isn't it? Just nod."

He nodded, once.

"Good man. You didn't hear me arrive, did you? Just nod."

Nod.

"So you won't know when I've gone, am I right? Just nod."

Nod.

"You don't want any trouble. Just nod."

Nod.

"They don't pay you enough for this. Just nod."

This time the nod was quite emphatic.

"You get more than your fair share of night watches as it is, anyway."

Colonesque's jaw dropped. Whoever was standing in the shadows was clearly reading his mind.

"Good man. You just stand here, then, and make sure no one steals the gate..."

Colonesque took care to continue to stare straight ahead. He heard the thud and creak of the gate being opened and closed.

It occurred to him that the speaker had not in fact mentioned what the other other way was, and he was quite relieved about that.

"What was the other way?" said Vimes, as they hurried through the snow.

"We'd go and look for another way in," said Angua.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think the stick in the back gag went something along the lines of "don't turn around, or I'll be forced to do something I'll regret" (i.e. acknowledging that I only have a stick).

But now that I think about it that actually might have been Douglas Adams. There's no guns on Discworld anyway. Well, anymore.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think the stick in the back gag went something along the lines of "don't turn around, or I'll be forced to do something I'll regret" (i.e. acknowledging that I only have a stick).

But now that I think about it that actually might have been Douglas Adams. There's no guns on Discworld anyway. Well, anymore.
Yeah, I think I'm thinking of that and conflating it with the scene above (the "go and look for another way in" clarified it for me)

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
There's a stick-to-the-back-please-don't-go-for-the-other-way gag in Good Omens as well, isn't there?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
gently caress me, that's totally it. When they break into the Air Force base ("Peace is Our Profession")

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh yeah, that's the one. Guess we know who put it in!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Putting a sign up in my kitchen. "PEASE IS OUR PROFESSION"

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

So I’ve just finished Mort, which I liked a lot (though the ending was a little weak). Previously I’ve read Guards! Guards! which was fantastic.

Question is: do I keep pursuing one of these two (which is better?) or should I try something like Rincewind or Wyrd Systers (which I don’t think I’ll care for as much).

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
The City Watch Series.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

So I’ve just finished Mort, which I liked a lot (though the ending was a little weak). Previously I’ve read Guards! Guards! which was fantastic.

Question is: do I keep pursuing one of these two (which is better?) or should I try something like Rincewind or Wyrd Systers (which I don’t think I’ll care for as much).

The city watch is always a favorite but I recommend reading in publish order. You’ll get Easter eggs and references that way that make the world more fun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

hanales posted:

The city watch is always a favorite but I recommend reading in publish order. You’ll get Easter eggs and references that way that make the world more fun.

I'd say this as well unless you fall in love with one set so much you want to chase their whole line down. At least try the others, the Witches are common favorites though Equal Rites is a bit of what makes them great before it really gels. Weatherwax works better with other characters to bounce off of.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Honestly, I don't like Wyrd Sisters much either. I feel like Witches don't find their feet until Witches Abroad, and then every book is gold.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ConfusedUs posted:

Honestly, I don't like Wyrd Sisters much either. I feel like Witches don't find their feet until Witches Abroad, and then every book is gold.
Wyrd Sisters definitely feels like Early Pratchett, he seems to go a little too far to make explicit Shakespeare parodies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I suppose it's better than "you could tell the Alzheimers was catching up" for the millionth time, but come on. The Three Witches novels are all explicit parodies, and Wyrd Sisters isn't even the only Shakespeare parody.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Also, give the Tiffany Aching series a chance!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Except the last one. Don't ever read it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Except the last one. Don't ever read it.

I'm'll read it :evilbuddy:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I Shall Wear Midnight? I thought it was fine.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Shepherd's Crown.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I thought it was a great send-off for the Disc but it's a hard one to get through because it feels like a goodbye throughout.

It's stronger than Raising Steam.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bruceski posted:

I Shall Wear Midnight? I thought it was fine.

I Shall Wear Midnight is great and is also the place I will stop whenever I do my next reread, and every time after that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I thought it was a great send-off for the Disc but it's a hard one to get through because it feels like a goodbye throughout.

It's a depressing re-read for me and I don't think I'll ever do it again, not just because it's the final book but also because it's kind of a necessary cleanse after how bad Raising Steam is.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shepard's Crown and Raising Steam are both bad

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Wyrd Sisters definitely feels like Early Pratchett, he seems to go a little too far to make explicit Shakespeare parodies.

You say like it is a bad thing?

Mokinokaro posted:

Shepherd's crown is not a book but a goodbye to Pratchett.
It is not really relevant to other people than Pratchett fans.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Raising Steam is a bad book which lacks the charm and humor of Pratchett's work. But it's still a book, at least.

Shephard's Crown is basically a conversation with a late stage Alzheimer's patient. Just... ideas and plots and paragraphs going nowhere.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

Raising Steam is a bad book which lacks the charm and humor of Pratchett's work. But it's still a book, at least.

Shephard's Crown is basically a conversation with a late stage Alzheimer's patient. Just... ideas and plots and paragraphs going nowhere.

I cried like a baby when I read it, though. which admittedly was right after PTerry died. It was a good send off, even if it’s not a good book.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cardiac posted:

You say like it is a bad thing?
Unlike the later Witches books, it feels like the parodies get in the way of letting the characters breathe. But that's obviously just my opinion!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

YggiDee posted:

The Shepherd's Crown.

Ah, I haven't read that one and forgot about it. Wasn't trying to do some memory-hole joke.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I remember liking Raising Steam more than Unseen Academicals, although that's an extremely low bar to clear.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've come to like Academicals more on re-reads. Steam... it felt like everyone had the same voice. There were a few moments where the Pratchett diamond shone through (the Railway Children bit) but the rest felt like something was missing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Unseen Academicals is miles better than both Snuff and Raising Steam (and Shepherd's Crown for that matter). It's not one of the better books, but I never understood the hate.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have two assumptions here: 1) Unseen Academicals is hilarious if you're familiar with UK football culture. 2) this is a US-centric forum and none of us got those jokes.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Unseen Academicals is miles better than both Snuff and Raising Steam (and Shepherd's Crown for that matter). It's not one of the better books, but I never understood the hate.

I bounced off of Snuff pretty hard the first time I read it, but it's slowly become something of a pleasure. The Riverboat sequence is one of my favourites, for reasons I can't quite articulate.

Raising Steam... look, I wanted to love it.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’ve not read Snuff for a while, but doesn’t the riverboat sequence end with a character (Sergeant Haddock?) just inexplicably being there to help, for no reason? I remember flicking back and forth trying to work out where he’d come from.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Haddock was on overseas duty at Quirm, where Vimes end up in and the local cops call him since they figure an Ankh-Morporkian cop would know what to do about him.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My wife has recently finished the Tiffany Aching audiobooks, and has moved on to Good Omens.

Where should I send her next, audiobook-wise? Are they all narrated by the same guy? Of equal quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Beachcomber posted:

My wife has recently finished the Tiffany Aching audiobooks, and has moved on to Good Omens.

Where should I send her next, audiobook-wise? Are they all narrated by the same guy? Of equal quality?

All the Discworld productions I've heard have been great, the unabridged ones are mostly read by Stephen Briggs, who I expect did the Aching books you've heard unless there are other versions. Some early ones are read by Nigel Planer, who's good but I don't agree with some of his choices of accents and voices, although he's perfect as Mort.