Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wrote a series of comics at 14-16 about a drug addicted anthropomorphic Cockney turtle called Jerry the Junkie Turtle who'd get into wacky adventures. He had a straight laced brother who'd get brutally killed in every single story, a concept stolen from South Park.

The only story I remember clearly has him getting a divorce from his wife, a living skull called Scully, and every other frame was him saying some pick up line to a different woman followed by a frame that was just CENSORED in big block letters on a black background with the pick up lines getting more nonsensical each time.

I wish I had done anything as wonderfully bad as Eye of Argon.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I wrote a picture book about a dragon and a rabbit who were best friends. That's all I remember but I'm sure it was excellent.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You have to be gifted to write something as jaw-droppingly bad as Eye of Argon. I couldn't write that badly if I tried.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Pretty sure that I wrote what was essentially some sort of Fallout/Full Metal Jacket crossover ripoff when I was 15, submitted it as homework and got a really high mark for it which just goes to show that if your teacher is 60+ and nobody else is gonna read it you can reliably rip the plot off anything even relatively modern and get away with it.

I might even still have it, will have a look for anything on par with "vertiginous bosoms of husking" or whatever.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Qwertycoatl posted:

I more or less agree with the view I read somewhere that Eye of Argon was chosen because it is, in many ways, not nearly as bad as most bad writing. The pacing is fine, the plot is at least serviceable and the imagery is... vivid. It's the word choice that really makes it special. Whereas most bad writing is just boring with the occasional ludicrous passage.

I agree with this. My friends and I used to play the Argon Game with random Internet garbage writing, and while a lot of it had goofy enough prose to work, you frequently ran into really boring patches or stuff just getting gross in an unfunny way. You really need a brisk pace and consistent absurdity, and not much delivers.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Antivehicular posted:

I agree with this. My friends and I used to play the Argon Game with random Internet garbage writing, and while a lot of it had goofy enough prose to work, you frequently ran into really boring patches or stuff just getting gross in an unfunny way. You really need a brisk pace and consistent absurdity, and not much delivers.

Reminds me of reading, was it weeping cock? the old live journal that collect bad fanfiction. Most of the entries were the same kind of tab-A-slot-B descriptions but applied to some niche fetish or extreme situation. Maybe you'd fine something weird in concept, but the style was all so samey it got old pretty fast.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

there wolf posted:

Reminds me of reading, was it weeping cock? the old live journal that collect bad fanfiction. Most of the entries were the same kind of tab-A-slot-B descriptions but applied to some niche fetish or extreme situation. Maybe you'd fine something weird in concept, but the style was all so samey it got old pretty fast.

It definitely was Weeping Cock. I found out about those Wraethru books through them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
When I was maybe 13? I wrote a book about some archeologist who discovered loki's giant skeleton in the mountains, but IT WOULD COME ALIVE AT NIGHT AND KILL PEOPLE IN THE MUSEUM and there was some special knife that did something I forget and basically holy poo poo it was bad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One of my earliest creative writing exercises that I actually remember was in elementary school. It was about a secret agent planting a bomb in the evil bad guy's lair and escaping, and I just shamelessly stole everything I could from video games. The gadgets were from Perfect Dark and the escape sequence was from the ending of the PS1 Spider-Man game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jrpk3UmIfI&t=3111s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

PYF Dumb poo poo You Wrote As A Kid

6 year old strom wrote a Christmas story about a tree that flew to the North Pole on a vacuum cleaner (the cable whirled around like a propeller)

My great aunt told us how as a kid instead of "minä laitoin tähden kuusen latvaan" (I put the star at the top of the [Yule] tree) wrote "minä tähden kusen latvaan" (To the top [of a tree] I piss the star) in a "what I did on Yule" writing assignment. This would've been the early 1920s.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jerry Cotton posted:

My great aunt told us how as a kid instead of "minä laitoin tähden kuusen latvaan" (I put the star at the top of the [Yule] tree) wrote "minä tähden kusen latvaan" (To the top [of a tree] I piss the star) in a "what I did on Yule" writing assignment. This would've been the early 1920s.

:blessed:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

It definitely was Weeping Cock. I found out about those Wraethru books through them.

defeating the aliens with a giant crystal of acid jizz

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

there wolf posted:

weeping cock

There is no way in hell I'm googling that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

divabot posted:

acid jizz

Jamiroquai cover of star war cantina music

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
YOU’RE GETTING YOUR ASSES BEATEN BY BISHONEN, FOR gently caress’S SAKE. MOTHERFUCKING PSYCHLOS HAVE BETTER MILITARY STRATEGY.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

divabot posted:

YOU’RE GETTING YOUR ASSES BEATEN BY BISHONEN, FOR gently caress’S SAKE. MOTHERFUCKING PSYCHLOS HAVE BETTER MILITARY STRATEGY.

oof ow my early 2000's memories oof

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

divabot posted:

Over two decades of internet and I still remember the first time I learned about this as clear as day.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

defeating the aliens with a giant crystal of acid jizz

Is that where those books ended up? I made it abut halfway through the first one and they started talking poo poo about women, so I walked away.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Over two decades of internet and I still remember the first time I learned about this as clear as day.

For the longest time I thought it was an RPG.net in joke.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AlbieQuirky posted:

I Don’t Even Own a Television exists, and it is loving delightful.

I love that podcast. They had an episode reading a continuation of the old Doc Savage and The Shadow pulp books that came out recently, complete with old timey writing and they loved it, so it’s not just terrible books. Just mostly terrible books, the good ones seem to mostly be an accident. I actually heard about them when either this thread or a different terrible books thread mentioned their Girl With the Dragon Tattoo episode, which is fantastic.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Raise your hand if you wrote Final Fantasy VI fanfic and turned it in as a high school class assignment.

*raises hand*

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Raise your hand if you wrote Final Fantasy VI fanfic and turned it in as a high school class assignment.

*raises hand*

A friend of mine once turned in a Digimon fanfic. I held her in disdain for this; I took the obvious artistic and ethical high road of writing about my freeform roleplaying character instead.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

it was Myst and it was a middle school assignment tyvm

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

scooby doo and I was no older than 6

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Djeser posted:

it was Myst and it was a middle school assignment tyvm

In middle school a friend and I turned in fanfic of The Avengers (the BBC 60s spy show, Emma Peel era). This was pre-internet. I feel old now

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I never turned in fanfic for homework, thankfully.

But I did perform Cid Highwind's theme as 'my own' composition for Orchestra.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I did several English book reports where I just made up a book on the spot, usually basing it loosely on some film I'd seen with different names.

Either the teacher knew and didn't care or thought I was reading a lot of books that had the same plot as old horror movies.

The only one I can remember was just Dawn of the Dead in space called Solaris (I was not aware of the Tarkovsky film at the time)

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Jan 8, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I did several English book reports where I just made up a book on the spot, usually basing it loosely on some film I'd seen with different names.

Either the the teacher knew or didn't care or thought I was reading a lot of books that had the same plot as old horror movies.

The only one I can remember was just Dawn of the Dead in space called Solaris (I was not aware of the Tarkovsky film at the time)

Honestly I'd be impressed at the creativity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Senior Woodchuck posted:

*raises hand*

I remember in gymnasium a nerd turned in an essay based on a Weis-Hickman Dragonlance novel and after that our Finnish teacher stopped accepting work based on fantasy literature. I was in the middle of reading Reaper Man and didn't want to start another book so I wrote the thing as if it were just a novel about death, leaving out anything that might indicate it was a loving fairy tale, banking on the teacher never having heard of Pratchett (I hadn't, I just liked the cover). It worked.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it would've been a much better novel without all the fantasy-fantasy stuff.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

A kid in eighth grade did an oral book report on Piers Anthony's Firefly, an "erotic horror" novel that is a) open pedophile apologia and b) dogshit. It was infamous in our middle school for being "Piers Anthony with real sex in it," because we were stupid kids and all, and he was going for the edgy coolness of actually doing a report on it. I recall the oral report being fairly short and sheepish once he realized what he was doing.

The same kid went on to get suspended for three days for turning in an "Oregon Trail diary" English assignment about Hannibal Lecter, Jean-Luc Picard, and Samwise Gamgee as bandits fleeing eastern justice by posing as settlers on the trail, only for Sam and Picard to die of Oregon Trail diseases and Hannibal to snap and massacre the rest of the wagon train, who were all the characters from a dire Oregon Trail novel we'd had to read for class. Sean, wherever you are, you're still my hero.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

A kid in eighth grade did an oral book report on Piers Anthony's Firefly, an "erotic horror" novel that is a) open pedophile apologia and b) dogshit. It was infamous in our middle school for being "Piers Anthony with real sex in it," because we were stupid kids and all, and he was going for the edgy coolness of actually doing a report on it. I recall the oral report being fairly short and sheepish once he realized what he was doing.

I had heard Piers Anthony was worrisome but I never really was curious enough to find out exactly how until one of my favorite blogs did a really deep dive into him as a preface for discussing a computer game based on his books and whoa nellie

I think the most embarrassing thing I will ever admit on the forums is the sentence immediately following this one. In sixth grade, I did a book report on a MACK BOLAN: THE EXECUTIONER novel I bought at the grocery store.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

there wolf posted:

Is that where those books ended up? I made it abut halfway through the first one and they started talking poo poo about women, so I walked away.

i wrote about the books on this very thread a few years ago, and wrote it up as a blog post.

storm constantine's other books are apparently much better, but her erotic Ziggy Stardust fanfic makes the loving m-o-n-e-y, so

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

divabot posted:

i wrote about the books on this very thread a few years ago, and wrote it up as a blog post.

quote:

"a weapon of mass destruction made of painstakingly collected horrendously acidic crystal jizz"

sorry, a what

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I liked Xanth as a kid. I stopped reading them because even as a literal middle-schooler his habit of writing to (I assume young, female) fans in the forwards of his books was just weird and creepy. I think he called them all “Ligeia” or something. It didn’t sit well with me.

Fast forward to my 20s when I find out that not only is the dude a pedophile apologist, he’s literally a pedophile publishing rape scenes by his pedo pen pals.

Needless to say if I see my kids reading him at any point we’re going to have a discussion.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Firefly might be the worst book I’ve ever read. It’s like atlas shrugged for pedophiles.

...well another atlas shrugged for pedophiles

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I had heard Piers Anthony was worrisome but I never really was curious enough to find out exactly how until one of my favorite blogs did a really deep dive into him as a preface for discussing a computer game based on his books and whoa nellie

Jesus christ reading that article goes from "I get it this guy is a hack and his books sound terrible even through the lens of the 70s" to "his books should be destroyed, probably along with the author", I knew about his reputation from these forums but gently caress, that's nasty.

quote:

I think the most embarrassing thing I will ever admit on the forums is the sentence immediately following this one. In sixth grade, I did a book report on a MACK BOLAN: THE EXECUTIONER novel I bought at the grocery store.

Read this as "MARC BOLAN: EXECUTIONER" and now I'm imagining a story where he had to fake his death to cover up his double life as a top government hit man, travelling the world under the guise of a hit singer like a proto Derek Zoolander.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Jesus christ reading that article goes from "I get it this guy is a hack and his books sound terrible even through the lens of the 70s" to "his books should be destroyed, probably along with the author", I knew about his reputation from these forums but gently caress, that's nasty.

Read this as "MARC BOLAN: EXECUTIONER" and now I'm imagining a story where he had to fake his death to cover up his double life as a top government hit man, travelling the world under the guise of a hit singer like a proto Derek Zoolander.

He had already hinted at this life in Dandy in the Underworld.

Content: My taste in literature wasn't that squicky in school, but I did rip off a book called "Snot Stew" for a creative writing exercise in fifth grade. I also wrote about pro wrasslin at least once, so that makes up for any high ground I might could claim.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Piers Anthony makes John Ringo look like a voice for progressive, feminist sexual politics. He's that much of a predatory creep.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Antivehicular posted:

The same kid went on to get suspended for three days for turning in an "Oregon Trail diary" English assignment about Hannibal Lecter, Jean-Luc Picard, and Samwise Gamgee as bandits fleeing eastern justice by posing as settlers on the trail, only for Sam and Picard to die of Oregon Trail diseases and Hannibal to snap and massacre the rest of the wagon train, who were all the characters from a dire Oregon Trail novel we'd had to read for class. Sean, wherever you are, you're still my hero.

See we when got this same assignment I just wrote that some classmates I didn't like died from poops. I clearly lacked authorial vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I handed in a New Kids on the Block fanfic when I was 11 or so. Teacher was highly amused but let me get away with it.