Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, I was a little bored with the Roman one because, well, I've heard/read a hundred different fall of Rome accounts, but the one about the Mayans was REALLY interesting.

i like his stuff but i kinda like the weird one off stories like the ones about Munster rebels and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Sydin posted:

Just wait till he gets to MacArthur, Dan spends like an hour grinding the story to a halt to make sure you understand how quirky MacArthur is. I normally don't mind the more rambling aspects of HH, but for some reason Supernova Part 3 really burned me out with how little Carlin managed to get across in such a huge chunk of time.

That whole section worked perfectly for me. Maybe it's because I was listening to it with my grandmother while driving across a few states and she cracked up at hearing all the Douglas MacArthur stories considering she remembered him as a cultural figure.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

Just wait till he gets to MacArthur, Dan spends like an hour grinding the story to a halt to make sure you understand how quirky MacArthur is. I normally don't mind the more rambling aspects of HH, but for some reason Supernova Part 3 really burned me out with how little Carlin managed to get across in such a huge chunk of time.

Yeah, between that and the circular way he talked about Malaya and Bataan it wasn't his best episode. My first exposure to HH was Blueprint for Armageddon and I think I was spoiled by how good each episode was.

Downloading Fall of Civilizations now, thanks for the rec everyone.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did they ever release the History of Rome podcast as, like, a single thing? I'd love to, like, get it all in one place and give him money for it?

Something like "Great Courses but you aren't 70 years old"?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No but you can buy his book if you want to give him money.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Grand Fromage posted:

No but you can buy his book if you want to give him money.

The fall of the Republic one? Yeah, I got that from the library and I've been meaning to actually buy it.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Sydin posted:

Uuuuugh, yes I got to the MacArthur stuff. Barely listenable garbage. If I may borrow the analogy style from him-

Like a half-eaten meatball sub left at the top of a roadside trashcan you see Dan Carlin's new episode of hardcore history. Sure looks good from a distance! Maybe you'll get to learn more about how the Japanese set themselves up to fail at the battles of Coral sea and Midway. He just finished with Pearl harbor at the end of this last episode and mentioned how the Japanese swiftly moved to take over European imperial possessions.

But then you get a closer look in the trash can. Oh boy. That's almost 5 hours. Well maybe he gets all the way to Okinawa! It's still some good listening right? You can listen over a longer course of time. But then that's a weird cutoff, don't you think? Why would you structure an episode that way? Well you're hungry for some history podcast so you may as well go for it, right?

So you take your first bite of that sandwich. At first bite it's not too bad. It still tastes like food. It's mostly recap, but that's ok right? He's got to refresh people on the background, there's no crime there.

But then something tastes off.

Like the taste of mayo that's been sitting in the sun too long, your lip curls at the extended discussion of Churchill. You weren't really here for the "hard choices in war" song and dance. But then you were the one who picked that sandwich out of the trash, weren't you? Can you get through this long enough for him to at least get to Midway?

You take another bite. There's that sour mayo taste again. One more meatball hits your teeth. He's stopped talking about Hong Kong at least, but now another unpleasant taste is coming up... I'm talking of course about Malaya and Singapore. Didn't he already say one time that once the Japs ( and I'm saying that word to respect the source material of the time, you read these books and it really was a different time wasn't it?) anyway if they got into the water supply it would be done? Well no such luck. He's still going on about the impossible defences of this fortress city. At least that's what Churchill called it, right? And since Churchill asked nicely, you gotta forgive him, right?

This meatball is really taking forever to chew right? Like it's made of pure gristle, isn't it? Especially when he gets to the description of Japanese atrocities like the rape and murder of some Australian nurses? Gosh, this really is unpleasant to listen to. Just a lot of lurid detail. And have we really left Singapore yet, or is this just another derail? You slowly pull that awful taste down your throat. There's no way we get through Midway in this episode, is there? I mean with how long he took to get through Pearl harbor, there's just no way, is there?

Well maybe he gets through the American military buildup? He did have something about discussions between Churchill and Roosevelt, so maybe we'll get a good Coral sea finish with a discussion of American industry. At least that's what you think as you take a bite of this sandwich whose soggy remnants lie in your hand.

And you just about gag on this bite. You knew MacArthur was probably going to come up. He's certainly relevant for the reconstruction of Japan. You were prepared for this, or so you thought. He's not totally doing a hagiography of MacArthur, he's saying how the us army would have been in their rights to remove him... But for an episode that's supposed to be about Japan this is entirely too much. Good God he even quotes from his memoirs, and while he does point out that it's full of lies, he tries to say that they're just "Things he made up!" and that they shouldn't count as false because he believed them!

Then you check the time. You're not getting Midway. You're not getting the Coral sea. MacArthur has boarded his boat to Australia like Napoleon out of Egypt. And so too it's time for you to go. Time for you to throw the rest of this sandwich in the trash...

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Come on it wasn't that bad; at least not for anyone that's listened to Carlin's longer outings before.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Schadenboner posted:

The fall of the Republic one? Yeah, I got that from the library and I've been meaning to actually buy it.

His book on Lafayette will likely be out this year as well

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah didn't mean to open up a can of hate on Carlin; like I said I'm usually a pretty big fan of HH. He focuses a lot on creating a narrative for his episodes and I'd wager when he sat down to script he knew he wanted to end with the evacuation of the Philippines so the episode was focused on the Allies getting absolutely dunked on by Japan at the outset of war. My problem was more that he bloated what really should have been a 2-3 hour podcast up to 5+ hours, and instead of it being because he had a lot of interesting tangents to go on he was instead just rehashing the same couple points over and over and sucking MacArthur's dick for an hour. I'm still going to listen to Part 4 whenever it comes out, I just think 3 was one of his weaker episodes. :shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Dan Carlin is like the Douglas MacArthur of history podcasting.

Everyone :gizz:es theyselfs hard over him and I've never loving understood it.

I only really listened to the German Protestant City Takeover one (it was supposed to be the best introduction or something?) so maybe he's one of those things you have to build up a resistance to over time? I dunno.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk!

:tipshat:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Podcasts that go on for way too long are already an issue to me, but where I really quit Carlin was halfway through the mongols podcast where I just couldn't hold in there after a solid hour of all the worst torturing the mongols did to their enemies.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hardcore History is a fantastic, well done and unique podcast that should be in everyone's feed.

It's virtually impossible to listen to Dan Carlin at 1x speed.

These are not mutually exclusive statements

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

9/10, needed one tangent where he snaps back to the sandwich by saying, “Nonetheless...”

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like Hardcore History but if what you want out of a podcast is a concise telling of events, yeah, go elsewhere. HH is more being at the bar listening to one of your history buds talking. Or more likely I'm the one who's on hour two of complaining about the term "Byzantine" but anyway. I enjoy it but totally get if you don't.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
I love granular detail but military history (especially modern military history) bores the hell out of me, and that seems to be HH's bread and butter.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've been binging the BBC's History Extra. Episodes are 30-60 minutes, heavily weighted toward European history, but good quality and a huge back catalog. Next up I think I'm going to try the new show from Historic Royal Palaces in the UK.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My favorite HH is the one about the Anabaptist Munster Rebellion because it's the perfect event for Carlin's love of going into lurid detail over the most hosed up aspects of a story. The whole story is so wild it sounds made up, so it fits absolutely perfectly with Dan's usual dramatic narrative style.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sydin posted:

My favorite HH is the one about the Anabaptist Munster Rebellion because it's the perfect event for Carlin's love of going into lurid detail over the most hosed up aspects of a story. The whole story is so wild it sounds made up, so it fits absolutely perfectly with Dan's usual dramatic narrative style.

That one's up there for me. So is Thor's Angels, and the recent-ish one about nuclear weapons. The longer ones all have good parts in them, just not the whole thing. Hearing Carlin talk about Rasputin was highly entertaining.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
For whatever reason I always think Mike Duncan is going to look exactly like a (much) younger Rick Steves and every time I discover this not to be the case it’s a profound surprise.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 8, 2020

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

JaneError posted:

I love granular detail but military history (especially modern military history) bores the hell out of me, and that seems to be HH's bread and butter.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've been binging the BBC's History Extra. Episodes are 30-60 minutes, heavily weighted toward European history, but good quality and a huge back catalog. Next up I think I'm going to try the new show from Historic Royal Palaces in the UK.

If you want agonizingly granular detail, but with relatively few battles, try the History of England podcast. They're slow as hell, but they actually focus on the cultural and economic aspects of things alongside military and political history. The History of Japan is also good for that, but he has even less charisma than the average history podcaster.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Sydin posted:

This and Death Throes of the Republic are my favorites. The one thing I don't like about the Munster episode is he spends like 30 minutes meta-podcasting about whether or not it was a good topic to cover. I would also really love a long-form version of his Radical Thoughts blitz episode that touched on the labor movement and the first Red Scare.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

JaneError posted:

Thanks for this one. Looking at the catalog of episodes I'm finding a good amount of interesting ones for me.

Another BBC podcast series is In Our Time. It covers history, science, culture, religion and philosophy. It's one host and usually 3 people in the field of the topic having a conversation. Episodes are 1hour long.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 8, 2020

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

golden bubble posted:

If you want agonizingly granular detail, but with relatively few battles, try the History of England podcast. They're slow as hell, but they actually focus on the cultural and economic aspects of things alongside military and political history. The History of Japan is also good for that, but he has even less charisma than the average history podcaster.

I really like David Crowther and History of England--I was sorry to hear about his recent health issues! Along similar lines, there's also the British History Podcast, which makes HoE look like a romp. He's almost 9 years and 338 episodes in and hasn't even gotten to Hastings yet. I like his narrative style and that he takes the time to explore the wider culture.

Digital Jedi posted:

Thanks for this one. Looking at the catalog of episodes I'm finding a good amount of interesting ones for me.

Another BBC podcast series is In Our Time. It covers history, science, culture, religion and philosophy. It's one host and usually 3 people in the field of the topic having a conversation. Episodes are 1hour long.

I dig In Our Time. I went through and listened to the ones that caught my eye, but I really need to do a second pass, given how much is there.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

In Our Time is good, but you should look for the episodes after the shows on the Industrial Revolution, which are pretty early in the series. Those are the episodes where the host gets confronted about his opinions on the British Imperialism, but things get much better after that. I really enjoy the rest of the series so far. On the opposite note, I've soured on the History Extra Podcast. I used to listen to every episode, but I found it feeling more and more Tory, so I've been skipping episodes for that podcast now. Lastly, the History of Philosophy without any Gaps is still amazing, but I can't listen to it casually. Philosophy has so many specific terms and unique abstractions that missing a minute or two can leave me totally lost.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For a change of pace, I want to plug the excellent podcast Monster Craze Memoirs by the forums' own K.Waste. It's a rare breed of film podcast that intellectually engages with the material no matter how b-quality it may be. Hosted by a father and son team, they break down classic monster movies and creature-features from the 40s-60s from a thematic and historical standpoint. There's also a Patreon with exclusive episodes that just dropped a great one on The Mole People, and posts the regular episodes and additional content. They're also on his terrific YouTube channel alongside his fantastic series Spoiler Alert which is centered around reading films.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I totally understand people's reservations about Carlin, and while I'm not enthusiastic about his Macarthur apologism/obsession, I'm also hoping for some depth about the New Guinea campaigns because you can then extrapolate from that, it set the pattern for everything after. I can probably ignore the series from there.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like Carlin but just don't care about Supernova at all and look forward to him doing something else.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rody One Half posted:

I like Carlin but just don't care about Supernova at all and look forward to him doing something else.

Yeah, I think we knew this is probably something he has wanted to do forever, but like, there are a million great WW2 docs and books out there. I like it way better when he does episodes on things I'm only vaguely familiar with like the Anabaptist siege or Thors Angels or Alexander's successors.

Plus it feels like we just finished up on the giant WW1 series

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Schadenboner posted:

For whatever reason I always think Mike Duncan is going to look exactly like a (much) younger Rick Steves and every time I discover this not to be the case it’s a profound surprise.

In my head Dan Carlin looks like Wallace Shawn. His accent is absurd.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 9, 2020

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Glumslinger posted:

Plus it feels like we just finished up on the giant WW1 series

Six episodes and 4.5 years ago :stare:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

JaneError posted:

I dig In Our Time. I went through and listened to the ones that caught my eye, but I really need to do a second pass, given how much is there.

In Our Time is one that I find really hit or miss. It completely lives or dies on the strength of its guests, so when one of them is super nervous or mumbles or even just has a tricky accent it can completely torpedo the whole episode. They also tend to be a bit short on background or context so I don't find them great as an introductory reference - for history and literature ones that's not a huge issue since I'm vaguely across most areas of those topics, but I'm all at sea when it's a science or philosophy topic.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

webmeister posted:

This is the most Dan Carlin thing since his "far more frequent" addendum that has like 6 episodes in 2+ years.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

webmeister posted:

Feels a hell of a lot more recently than that for some reason. Probably because WWI was like 5 episodes long

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

At this rate his WW2 Pacific Theatre series will probably run longer than the actual Pacific Theatre did

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

webmeister posted:

At this rate his WW2 Pacific Theatre series will probably run longer than the actual Pacific Theatre did

:lol:

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I am personally enjoying the recent HHs. The Pacific theater of WW2 is not something i ever really learned about, for whatever reason, and his episodes take up an entire work day for me, so it's a good fit. I didn't know jack poo poo about McArthur or what happened in the Philippines and this last episode got me interested to do more reading.

I can't argue that Carlin tends to go on a bit much sometimes, but I've got nothing but time so i can really forgive that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Count Roland posted:

That one's up there for me. So is Thor's Angels, and the recent-ish one about nuclear weapons. The longer ones all have good parts in them, just not the whole thing. Hearing Carlin talk about Rasputin was highly entertaining.

yeah. the issue with him and big events(the whole western front/politics of ww1 and pacific theater of ww2 plus starting before invasion of manchuria) is he starts talking about the trees instead of the forest. like at some point you have to skip some stuff and pair it down. the anapatist munster works because its a small story in a much bigger story and works as a weird microcosim like all good micro history and carlan does his best with that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As a person who spends vast amounts of time traveling : the trees approach is fine.

You can watch a TED talk if you are pressed for time.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

euphronius posted:

As a person who spends vast amounts of time traveling : the trees approach is fine.

okay i have some serious questions, can you please go back and kill hitler

edit; misread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

webmeister posted:

okay i have some serious questions, can you please go back and kill hitler

edit; misread

Lol