Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I live in Alaska so I'm stuck with just the one Porsche dealership. My parents just retired and are spending the winter in a warmer clime, so I could conceivably buy something from a dealer local to them and have it shipped up.

Luckily, I have some time to sort this out as I have a long-term loan daily driver, and not in a huge pinch for a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

I live in Alaska so I'm stuck with just the one Porsche dealership.

You aren't stuck with a drat thing. You are ordering a specific product, which can be ordered just fine by phone/internet from any authorized sales outlet and delivered to your home, or you could pick it up and drive it back if you want. Or pick it up from the factory in Germany, drive it around, and then have it shipped to your home.

gently caress this dealership cartel bullshit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sales people of any stripe wearing $20K watches and fancy jewelry when trying to get my business turn me right off. I would literally ask for another rep.

I was selling a house and the real estate guy who was recommended dropped by in a god drat diablo and I immediately engaged with another realtor. When I used to deal with a financial advisor I had one that smoked like a steam engine, smelled like a human ashtray and wore a Rolex and made sure his cuffs were up high enough so you couldn't help but notice it.

Dude is literally why I got into teaching myself investment basics and do everything through a discount brokerage now. If they are that gawdy and have such incredibly poor judgement I do not want to give them a dime, let alone make thousands on a real estate or investment commissions.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

Sales people of any stripe wearing $20K watches and fancy jewelry when trying to get my business turn me right off. I would literally ask for another rep.

I was selling a house and the real estate guy who was recommended dropped by in a god drat diablo and I immediately engaged with another realtor. When I used to deal with a financial advisor I had one that smoked like a steam engine, smelled like a human ashtray and wore a Rolex and made sure his cuffs were up high enough so you couldn't help but notice it.

Dude is literally why I got into teaching myself investment basics and do everything through a discount brokerage now. If they are that gawdy and have such incredibly poor judgement I do not want to give them a dime, let alone make thousands on a real estate or investment commissions.

Thank you, agree 100%

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

You aren't stuck with a drat thing. You are ordering a specific product, which can be ordered just fine by phone/internet from any authorized sales outlet and delivered to your home, or you could pick it up and drive it back if you want. Or pick it up from the factory in Germany, drive it around, and then have it shipped to your home.

gently caress this dealership cartel bullshit.

Oh I totally agree. I meant "I'm stuck dealing with these guys if I want a local sale". In fact, I should send some emails out to remote dealers with my configuration code and see what kind of offers I get.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Oh I totally agree. I meant "I'm stuck dealing with these guys if I want a local sale". In fact, I should send some emails out to remote dealers with my configuration code and see what kind of offers I get.

And then have this dealership do your warranty service while you sit in the waiting room flipping them off with PCNA on speed dial.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

And then have this dealership do your warranty service while you sit in the waiting room flipping them off with PCNA on speed dial.

Ugh...I really want to avoid developing bad blood with the service guys.

I had a BMW 328 and I swore off every buying another BMW because the warranty service was so bad it's not even funny. They sat on a warranty repair for two weeks, refused to give me a loaner, and the service manager put me on a conference call with the advisor I had complained about to him (the manager) privately, daring me to complain to the advisor's face about the lack of service.

I told them after I got my car back I would never ever ever buy a BMW from them and they kind of shrugged and said "sorry to hear that".

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

I’ve had pretty good luck with Porsche Exchange in Highland Park, IL. I’ve always dealt with the son of the owner, who took everything seriously even though I don’t look like I can afford a Porsche and in fact traded in a burned-up Saab on one. I had them do all the CPO work and they were good about that. From discussions we’ve had since, I gather they do a bunch of business out of state. Think they mentioned sending cars to Seattle. Might be worth checking out; they had the cheapest 997.2 S within 500 miles when I bought mine.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A third of the reason my wife didn’t consider the Q5 was because of how the sales guy behaved. He was essentially the stereotype of a sales bro and we didn’t go back. BMW was great. Apparently there they separate out the sales people and the test drive people, so the guy that took us out for test drives was a retired judge who instructed for BMW CCA, didn’t work on commission, and didn’t give a poo poo if we bought an X3 or not.

Porsche guy was also great (this was Bluegrass Porsche in Louisville). He talked to my wife while she was driving, wasn’t pushy, and we settled on a price over email pretty easily. Haven’t bought a car where we live now, but we’ve had zero problems with service.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I got great service from Oklahoma City Porsche whoever that is even though the car was sold and it was a lovely 996 for 15k and I was calling from 4 states over. The local Acura dealer would not let me go for a test drive. Sad face. Go figure.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

A third of the reason my wife didn’t consider the Q5 was because of how the sales guy behaved. He was essentially the stereotype of a sales bro and we didn’t go back. BMW was great. Apparently there they separate out the sales people and the test drive people, so the guy that took us out for test drives was a retired judge who instructed for BMW CCA, didn’t work on commission, and didn’t give a poo poo if we bought an X3 or not.

Porsche guy was also great (this was Bluegrass Porsche in Louisville). He talked to my wife while she was driving, wasn’t pushy, and we settled on a price over email pretty easily. Haven’t bought a car where we live now, but we’ve had zero problems with service.

Haven't been to a Porsche dealership in the Mainline area, but BMW of Devon really went downhill in customer service after they became part of the Sloane Auto Group. (So, uh, not promising for Porsche Warrington, then).

Thompson BMW has been pretty great to me, in sales, service, and the performance shop. They don't appear to have Porsche though.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

A couple brief observations; while business-to-consumer sales people (realtors, luxury goods people, etc) are almost invariably obnoxious, hating on said sales guy for watches and cars is silly. Is it not better to judge them on their acumen that you're theoretically retaining them for? Isn't their ability to own a Diablo likely indicative of someone that can perform in their job, trust funds etc. aside?

Second, was your 'financial advisor' a fiduciary or not? If not, that's on you for doing any business with him. Non-fiduciary financial advisors are out for themselves and should be lumped into the same groups as people running MLMs, chiropractors, etc. They're neither obligated nor frequently interested in actually helping you.

Both in the US and Canada you can have 'financial advisors' running around who are in no way legally obligated to look out for your best interests. With all that said, if you're choosing money people based on their apparent success, lack thereof, or the ability to somehow be both successful but not display it, in my opinion you're chasing the wrong signals and probably getting weird outcomes.

PS, Realtors have a fiduciary obligation to their clients.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alarbus posted:

Haven't been to a Porsche dealership in the Mainline area, but BMW of Devon really went downhill in customer service after they became part of the Sloane Auto Group. (So, uh, not promising for Porsche Warrington, then).

The parts counter has already gone to poo poo.

It's been a shame to see the first and premiere PCNA dealer, a dealer with an owner who raced and it's own aftermarket catalog of go fast parts, turn into poo poo once Al Holbert retired. His kids ran it into the ground, the last owners made it worse and now we've got these knuckleheads.

Tremek posted:

Lol. Yes, but that's not going to stop the conflict of interest that says, whether buying or selling, getting you to do so as quickly as possible is in their best interest, not helping you negotiate on price.

In practice, their fiduciary duty looks a whole lot like "make sure you inform your seller of all offers, don't take kickbacks that aren't part of the official deal and visible to both the buyer and seller."

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 8, 2020

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

All fair points, and caveat emptor in all things - the classic real estate scenario comes to mind where $20k means a lot more to the seller or buyer, but when +/- $20k means +/- $600 on each realtors’ commission, they’re going to care far less than the interested parties, and that’s frankly the duty of the customer to know.

@Motronic you’re mostly aware of some of the ridiculous real estate bullshit I have waded through (and continue to wade through) these recent years - you know I’m no fan of realtors.

There are tons of realtors that suck for varying reasons, but at least there’s accountability there legally where (for example) with non-fiduciary financial advisors there’s zero oversight and only baseline legal remedies available.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tremek posted:

A couple brief observations; while business-to-consumer sales people (realtors, luxury goods people, etc) are almost invariably obnoxious, hating on said sales guy for watches and cars is silly. Is it not better to judge them on their acumen that you're theoretically retaining them for? Isn't their ability to own a Diablo likely indicative of someone that can perform in their job, trust funds etc. aside?

Second, was your 'financial advisor' a fiduciary or not? If not, that's on you for doing any business with him. Non-fiduciary financial advisors are out for themselves and should be lumped into the same groups as people running MLMs, chiropractors, etc. They're neither obligated nor frequently interested in actually helping you.

Both in the US and Canada you can have 'financial advisors' running around who are in no way legally obligated to look out for your best interests. With all that said, if you're choosing money people based on their apparent success, lack thereof, or the ability to somehow be both successful but not display it, in my opinion you're chasing the wrong signals and probably getting weird outcomes.

Don't judge a book by it's cover and all that, I get it, but you can act as a fiduciary and still be a dumb gently caress. Someone going out of their way to show how awesome they are by flashing their possessions in such a way they are impossible to miss in an effort to show you how successful they are in a professional capacity, is just absurd and poor taste and simply not good judgement. Maybe if I was a fellow 20-something that was financed out the gills and didn't have a pot to piss in I might have been dazzled, jealous and appreciated it. Even though I have a 20 year old 911, I would never dream of using it anything work related like meeting with a client.

I don't care what people do in their private time with their own money, but if you think it's a good idea to show up at a prospective client driving a diablo to show how awesome you are, your priorities are misplaced. If anything, it shows how terrible you are with money because I know for a fact while the guy might be comfortable as a moderately successful realtor at that time, he wasn't that* comfortable.

I am well aware of fiduciary responsibilities (I have had to personally act in that capacity for others) and while there are legal ways to deal with improprieties, it's still far, far better to not get in the position in the first place if something smells off. Lord knows of enough cases with people doing shifty poo poo that they were obligated not to.

FWIW, I think that realtor spend time in jail since then (that was 15+ years ago) so pretty sure my gut instinct was the right call.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

Don't judge a book by it's cover and all that, I get it, but you can act as a fiduciary and still be a dumb gently caress. Someone going out of their way to show how awesome they are by flashing their possessions in such a way they are impossible to miss in an effort to show you how successful they are in a professional capacity, is just absurd and poor taste and simply not good judgement. Maybe if I was a fellow 20-something that was financed out the gills and didn't have a pot to piss in I might have been dazzled, jealous and appreciated it. Even though I have a 20 year old 911, I would never dream of using it anything work related like meeting with a client.

I don't care what people do in their private time with their own money, but if you think it's a good idea to show up at a prospective client driving a diablo to show how awesome you are, your priorities are misplaced. If anything, it shows how terrible you are with money because I know for a fact while the guy might be comfortable as a moderately successful realtor at that time, he wasn't that* comfortable.

I am well aware of fiduciary responsibilities (I have had to personally act in that capacity for others) and while there are legal ways to deal with improprieties, it's still far, far better to not get in the position in the first place if something smells off. Lord knows of enough cases with people doing shifty poo poo that they were obligated not to.

FWIW, I think that realtor spend time in jail since then (that was 15+ years ago) so pretty sure my gut instinct was the right call.

If you're that well off you drive a nice but reasonable car to client meetings, and leave the toys at home for the weekend

That seems very much a tech boom / stock market hot shot move. Show up in a super car, pretend you could care less about the meeting, throw money on the table to pay for lunch and then peel out.

Success! They will be begging to sign with you by days end

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A totally normal 60 degree weekend in January. Yesterday, I picked up my car after finally getting the old yellow film removed, a paint correction, filling in/respraying the bumper holes, and getting new film installed. Quick wash today after driving it home yesterday on wet roads. Looks awesome.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Good work getting those bumper holes fixed, that is such a million-times-better-result for not a lot of body work/effort.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I drove 1843 miles this weekend to go get a CPO Cayenne S eHybrid to replace my 135is as a dual-duty DD and race car hauler. Really good price on a very cheaply priced, well-optioned one in a great (rare-ish) color which I love. Got home at the end of the trip, go to unload my bag from the rear and realize the plate is hanging to one side; the selling dealership ripped out the plate mounting plug from the rear hatch as they were prepping it for me to drive off.

Now I get to enjoy fighting dealing with a dealership over 800 miles away as they try to get away with not repairing the body damage to the car they just sold.

On the flip side, my commute to and from work can be done in electric-only mode all week on a single charge, without the wear and tear the engine would get from never warming up on a 1.7 mile commute.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 13, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Prong Song posted:

I drove 1843 miles this weekend to go get a CPO Cayenne S eHybrid to replace my 135is as a dual-duty DD and race car hauler. Really good price on a very cheaply priced, well-optioned one in a great (rare-ish) color which I love. Got home at the end of the trip, go to unload my bag from the rear and realize the plate is hanging to one side; the selling dealership ripped out the plate mounting plug from the rear hatch as they were prepping it for me to drive off.

Now I get to enjoy fighting dealing with a dealership over 800 miles away as they try to get away with not repairing the body damage to the car they just sold.

On the flip side, my commute to and from work can be done in electric-only mode all week on a single charge, without the wear and tear the engine would get from never warming up on a 1.7 mile commute.

Well that quickly changed from a :hellyeah: post to a :wtf: post. That's a ridiculous amount of damage for a rear plate. I hope they make it right for you. Looking forward to pics.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Hoffman estates in Illinois? Also hope they make that right for you as that really sucks.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Hoffman estates in Illinois? Also hope they make that right for you as that really sucks.

Motor Werks in Barrington. No idea why they placed a Hoffman Estates license plate surround on the car. I'm getting a referral from my local dealership to a body shop. MW went overnight from "Oh that just looks like you need a new mounting plug" to "that's going to be several hundred dollars to repair, get it done and we'll cut you a check". Good on them for not trying to make this hard.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 14, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The next Cayman/Boxster GTS is getting a version of the 4.0. That's going to be a hoot.

e: Source

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

The next Cayman/Boxster GTS is getting a version of the 4.0. That's going to be a hoot.

e: Source

Oh man. Oh man. And that green. :ohdear:

I told myself if a new 6 cylinder cayman came out I’d consider buying my first new car in order to do European delivery and get it exactly how I wanted it. I’m tempted to get back in to a car that’s more practical for the northeast.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 16, 2020

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Residency Evil posted:

I told myself if a new 6 cylinder cayman came out I’d consider buying my first new car in order to do European delivery and get it exactly how I wanted it. I’m tempted to get back in to a car that’s more practical for the northeast.

This is the last generation of ICE Cayman. If not now...never?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Prong Song posted:

This is the last generation of ICE Cayman. If not now...never?

Yeah, that's probably true. gently caress. 2021 seems like a good year for a trip too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

So it's apparently not the 4.0 but a bored out turboless version of the 3.0 form the 992. Still cool though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

So it's apparently not the 4.0 but a bored out turboless version of the 3.0 form the 992. Still cool though.

Yeah, definitely still cool. I just have to figure out if I can rationalize buying a new car.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

fknlo posted:

And this was the absolutely right call.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

Or pick it up from the factory in Germany, drive it around, and then have it shipped to your home.

The correct way to buy a Porsche or BMW

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Are we expecting the prices of 981 GT4s to drop now that the 982 GT4s are available for sale ?

I swear the prices I see are almost above sticker price , I guess because most people weren’t sure Porsche would make a new GT4 ?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
They've been dropping for awhile, as in they're actually below MSRP now and still falling I think. The new GT4 was delayed so it kept prices a bit higher, but looking on BaT there have been <10k mile examples going for 75-80k even with the generally wanted LWBs.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-porsche-cayman-gt4-42/

Unless the new engine has a lot of problems I'd expect prices to fall a bit more once the GTS and the new GT4 finally get delivered; of course there will probably be some price floor somewhere.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

RoyalScion posted:

They've been dropping for awhile, as in they're actually below MSRP now and still falling I think. The new GT4 was delayed so it kept prices a bit higher, but looking on BaT there have been <10k mile examples going for 75-80k even with the generally wanted LWBs.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-porsche-cayman-gt4-42/

Unless the new engine has a lot of problems I'd expect prices to fall a bit more once the GTS and the new GT4 finally get delivered; of course there will probably be some price floor somewhere.

Yeah that one that just sold... :ohdear: giving me second thoughts about even considering a new car.

It's almost as if cars aren't good investments.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah that one that just sold... :ohdear: giving me second thoughts about even considering a new car.

It's almost as if cars aren't good investments.

Cars aren't investments. Unless you're in the seven-figure range.

EDIT: vvvv It's almost like I was playing the straight man. What's a car-comedy forum, maaaaan?

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 21, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think he was being more than a little sarcastic ;)

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I would guess the main things that would keep 981 GT4 prices up a bit is that it's a first-run vehicle and supposedly the new engines don't sound as nice with the new particulate filters required by European law.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Prong Song posted:

Cars aren't investments. Unless you're in the seven-figure range.

EDIT: vvvv It's almost like I was playing the straight man. What's a car-comedy forum, maaaaan?

iirc, I think the Ferrari 250 is pretty much the only car to beat the S&P over time, and I think it might not even be by that much.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 22, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

iirc, I think the Ferrari 250 is pretty much the only car to beat the S&P over time, and I think it might not even be by that much.

None of the calculations I've seen include the cost of storing a car like that properly.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Motronic posted:

None of the calculations I've seen include the cost of storing a car like that properly.

Things get crazy when you're doing engine and suspension rebuilds based on time instead of mileage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Covered in rat poo poo and sold at Barrett Jackson as an original barn find?